AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Hyouka

Notices

Old 2012-04-29, 12:00   Link #781
LC
Shocking Pink

That's..not what I expected. At least their outfits are cute, I guess.
Old 2012-04-29, 12:22   Link #782
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
DAT ED!

Huh.... This surely has been a while since they've been this unsubtle...
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 12:46   Link #783
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
I'm scratching my head trying to decipher what you are trying to get across here; because if anything, FMP! was when KyoAni did most of their blatant "Lesbians Ahoy!" fanservice.

They bloody genderbended the twins from homosexual males into lesbian showering girls, and then there is Mao who keeps molesting Tessa. If anything, they have become more tame with their "Yuri" antics.

Cheers.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. It's not really a complaint. It's just that, Hyouka ending doesn't capture the essence of the show itself which is fundamentally about students solving everyday mysteries. The ED instead reflects what Kyoani is presently good at which is unlike what they were back then in a sense that they've become tamed. Kyoani as of now enjoys animating cute female anime characters doing cute things which is basically what this ED is all about. It’s a nice ending though, but not the kind of ending I’d expect for Hyouka.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 13:31   Link #784
rulfo

Well pretty much my expectations has been nailed on this ep.

Spoiler for ep 2:

After reading up to a part of chapter 6, its confirmed for me that Hyouka isn't setup like Tantei Gakuen Q or Detective Conan(in terms of new mystery every episode) unless KyoAni changes it. If everything goes the same as volume 1, expect it to be one main mystery per arc. So... 4 main mysteries.

In anycase, looking forward to the next episode. Hope they handle this parts that follow well.

Oh and.. Ibara's appearance didn't fail in the adorable department.

Last edited by rulfo; 2012-04-29 at 14:03.
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 14:39   Link #785
LC
Shocking Pink

Spoiler for Episode 2:
Old 2012-04-29, 19:45   Link #786
lightbringer
M9000

She's got him whipped good with those puppy eyes of hers. He should just resolve himself to the fact that he'll have to waste a ton of energy on useless activities from now on.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 19:49   Link #787
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

As far as mysteries go, I'm not really a big fan of trying to create intrigue through muttering. It's never been a favorite plot device of mine. Other things do stick out though and compensate for that, even at least a little. The episode-contained mystery wasn't too bad, but it wasn't too good either. Compared to Gosick, which had fantastic, exciting mysteries that fell flat due to tons of held-back clues and crazy leaps of logic, I feel like Hyouka executes its mysteries better, but they suffer from being mundane.

I definitely didn't expect the episode to be over when it did. It moves slow because it spends time on things that feel removed from a main plot, like the mystery for this episode, but the mystery was paced well enough for the episode itself to have decent pacing. At least we're introduced to Ibara. It's nice that she already likes Satoshi, and she's pretty cute too. I guess it's just a matter of time before she joins the club as well, now that she's becoming a bit curious. You can tell that the show is definitely about Oreki and Chitanda, though. It feels kinda like Clannad, where it feels like everyone will get a focus, but the biggest change will center around Oreki.

The show definitely does well as a slice of life with mystery elements, as I said before. I would honestly say that you'll be disappointed if you expect a strong mystery anime (I kinda was), but if you enjoy slice of life with sprinkles of mystery, this is actually really nice. I'm certainly starting to detach my preconceptions and expectations from Hyouka, and I feel like I'm starting to enjoy it more for what it is. It's only two episodes in, though, so it might be a bit too early to say something like that .

Edit: Also, I really like how they're presenting Oreki's thought process visually, and not only during deducing. It feels like people are going to make more Shaft comparisons though . I personally don't think there's that strong of a resemblance.

Also, the animation is really nice again. They go pretty far in having each character, especially Chitanda, expressing themselves.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 19:54   Link #788
Excorsism

Liking the attention to detail. Particularly with Houtarou backing off when Eru was too close to him in the library. I do this pretty often with people too. I'm sure 90% people don't realize this happening though, .

Completely adore Mayaka, so cute.
Old 2012-04-29, 19:57   Link #789
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

That was a fun episode. The mystery was a little deeper, but still nothing elaborate.

Those purple eyes sure are mesmerizing, I mean... damn. It's so funny how she pushes him around.

I know some people find this overdone but I had a similar experience in high school and it was quite fun.

As for that ED... talk about tempting. If only they weren't in middle school, lol.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 20:26   Link #790
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Eru made Houtaru choose the red menu.

Old 2012-04-29, 20:26   Link #791
Shadow5YA

I swear Eru's eyes are hyponotic. Everytime Houtarou wants to forget about it and leave, Eru goes "I'm curious!" *staaaaaaaare~* and he can't back out anymore.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 20:27   Link #792
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Eru was definitely more forceful in pushing Houtarou around compared to the first episode. He really did give an effort to limit his activities, but she just wouldn't let him do it. In the end put a ton of effort in solving the mystery and they didn't even get an anthology. I was surprised he was pretty quick to leave when Eru was slow to reveal what she wanted at the restaurant. I guess Sunday is really important for his low power lifestyle. An important recharge day .

Of course when Eru said it was like a confession, obviously it isn't an actual one. I guess she is finally ready to tell him what all those "personal reasons" are. Why she joined the club in the first place and what she feels he might be able to help her with.

Could really feel the isolation for Houtarou with that visible gray zone around him. Just feels he's lacking something compared to everyone. Not surprised he forgot about the anthology and just wanted to get out of there.

Got to meet Mayaka and I can kind of get why she is frustrated with Houtarou. I mean Satoshi seems to pay him a lot more attention compared to Mayaka. Should be obvious to him how she feels, but doesn't seem like he'll acknowledge it or really do anything about it.

I loved seeing Houtarou try to sneak out numerous times. He knew that Eru would get sucked into that mystery and wanted to save himself. Really is made to solve mysteries though. I wonder what Eru meant about her results on tests....Seems like she's just into puzzles and once she gets them the marks take care of themselves.

In terms of the ED didn't have a complaint. Couple cute girls rolling around on a bed isn't terrible . Lyrics seemed to be more about the girls talking to the guys though. Though frankly think Eru has a much easier road ahead there.
Old 2012-04-29, 20:49   Link #793
Random Wanderer

The eyes! They glow!

Chitanda gives off a much stranger impression this time. Yes, stranger. As in, more strange. She's weird. With the way she acts and the way she talks in this episode, I would believe it if we got a reveal that she wasn't human.

Not sure why Mayaka dislikes Houtarou, beyond the fact that he's lazy. There appears to be some sort of longstanding rivalry going on.

I'm finding that I dont like Satoshi. He doesn't seem to take anything seriously, and he throws his words and rumors and lies about, without caring where they might fall and who they might hurt. Also, he smiles too much. Everything seems to be a game to him, and he seems to think he can just laugh off the consequences of anything. Irritating.

ED is delicious-looking.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 20:50   Link #794
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

With little action to work with (as if the MC would have it any other way) it really is the details that make all the difference here. Watch Mayaka's facial expressions as she decides to tell Oreki about the book mystery. She's got an incredibly lively face, and it made me like her almost immediately, even though we really don't know much about her. Of course, Eru's expressiveness steals the show when she gets worked up.

There was one other thing that seemed very life-like about Eru, and I couldn't put my finger on what it was until this week: It's the way her uniform hangs off her chest and slightly away from her stomach naturally, rather than clinging to her torso like a body suit, the way school uniforms usually do in anime. It's funny how something so minor can make Houka's polish shine through.

As for the mysteries, they're painfully mundane, but executed very well. I appreciate being given all the information that the rest of the cast has, and letting me work out what might have happened. Last week's reveals were easy for me to guess, but this week I got it wrong.

Spoiler for The Popular Book:
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 20:56   Link #795
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die

Good lord, I'm loving this show. And that ED...HOLY SHIT, that ED! Caught me off-guard.
Old 2012-04-29, 21:06   Link #796
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereminVox View Post
With little action to work with (as if the MC would have it any other way) it really is the details that make all the difference here. Watch Mayaka's facial expressions as she decides to tell Oreki about the book mystery. She's got an incredibly lively face, and it made me like her almost immediately, even though we really don't know much about her. Of course, Eru's expressiveness steals the show when she gets worked up.

There was one other thing that seemed very life-like about Eru, and I couldn't put my finger on what it was until this week: It's the way her uniform hangs off her chest and slightly away from her stomach naturally, rather than clinging to her torso like a body suit, the way school uniforms usually do in anime. It's funny how something so minor can make Houka's polish shine through.

As for the mysteries, they're painfully mundane, but executed very well. I appreciate being given all the information that the rest of the cast has, and letting me work out what might have happened. Last week's reveals were easy for me to guess, but this week I got it wrong.

Spoiler for The Popular Book:
Well the new one isn't mundane.

Specifically..How is it that a club anthology with a 40 yr history is not kept in the school library and where is it being stored? And why does the librarian not know about it?
Old 2012-04-29, 21:06   Link #797
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Eru made Houtaru choose the red menu.
I caught that too. Pretty funny. I was going to mention it but that ED kinda threw me off, lol.
DragoZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 21:18   Link #798
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
And why does the librarian not know about it?
She sounded almost afraid when she said "So you're in the Classics club?" I don't think she didn't know about the prior anthologies, I think she was surprised that anyone would ask for one, and then unsettled for some unspecified reason. Probably related to whatever reason there is for not keeping any copies in the library.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 21:23   Link #799
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
She sounded almost afraid when she said "So you're in the Classics club?" I don't think she didn't know about the prior anthologies, I think she was surprised that anyone would ask for one, and then unsettled for some unspecified reason. Probably related to whatever reason there is for not keeping any copies in the library.
Yeah, that was definitely too suspicious. Something had her really unsettled by that request. Seems Houtarou's sister got him into quite the troublesome situation .

Though I'm kind of surprised a club with such a long history was in danger of having no members and being shut down. Were the previous people in the club really lazy or is there something strange about this club?
Old 2012-04-29, 21:25   Link #800
Blue-kun
Che! Che! Che!

This was a really nice episode yet again, and to be honest, last week I thought I was kinda forcing it with the Rea comparisons between Eru and her, but now... I don't know. For as much of a pushy/carefree girl she seems to be, this episode had a lot of subtle bits where you feel as if there's "something" about her that isn't quite... normal. Of course, the Rea thing was just the immediate comparison that ran through my mind, and I don't think there are any evil dads whatsoever, but how she kept saying that Oreki might be able to "do it", I'm sure she has some sort of important request for him. Actually, this whole thing also reminded me of Touko in Kara no Shoujo and "finding her true self", haha.

Silly thoughts aside... I really ought to comment on the music. Tanaka Kouhei seems to be on a roll these days. His work for "Gravity Daze" was amazing, and now he's doing another top notch score for this series. Both compositions and overall placement really are adding a lot to this show. Loved the final part of the episode, in the cafe. Maybe it's becaus we don't really have any shops like that near to where I love, but I love a good coffee place with the whole wood decoration etc.

Oh, and last but not least, that ED... I wasn't expecting it, but I'm sure not complaining. Gotta love the sheets motions with the girls rolling on top of the bed and all.

Tags
adaptation, kyoto animation, mystery, shounen, slice of life