AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2004-06-21, 21:30   Link #21
MartAnimE
willingness to die

I've played the game and finished it in all endings, and I really liked it (even tough it totally copies noir in so many things, including litle details), but the anime fails to get that felling of drama I got from the game. The character designs are kinda weak, considering this is an OAV (but I still like Reiji's hair style), and the all thing feels like it's forced somehow, they kinda rushed the action of the original game, in a way you end up not really caring what happens to the characters. Besides the lack of plot I must say I didn't really liked those overdone bloody shots on the head (no style at all :P), it makes it look rather silly than disturbing.
I only really enjoyed the first minutes which start with the city overview it the moonlight , with a music that not only fits perfectly in the scene but also reminds me of the atmosphere of the game. And then it zooms into Ein on a rooftop with the rifle getting ready to clean off some drug dealing guys or something. Then she cuts the light ,and I also liked the music piece they used here, and starts killing everyone in the room, very coldly and very stylish to, until there's only one man who starts yelling and questioning her ('No... It can't be... You're Phantom!?' :P) just before he gets shoot between the eyes as she stares in a very numb way at him! (The all scene is just screaming:NOIR!!!, and is totally lacking on originality, alright, but it still manages to catch my attention, somehow)
I also liked the opening theme :P I'm kinda overlooking to watch this until the end, just to make sure it's not all bad!
MartAnimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-01, 13:48   Link #22
Takemi_Ikazuchi

Phantom: The Animation ep.2 was well done

Initially I had low expectations for this considering the rather sloppy first episode.

Episode's 2 pacing and direction was much better and *gasp* manages to emulate the mood of the game relatively well.

The preview for episode 3 suggest that the next episode will cover the harbor battle and possibly the end of the first arc. If they take their time and extend the OAV to 6 episodes this might actually be a great series.

Either way, I recommend episode 2

EDIT: This episode has yet to have an English sub out at the moment. Get the DVDs!

-

Last edited by xris; 2004-07-01 at 13:50. Reason: Please do not start new threads when there is an existing one. See "Series Discussion Index"
Takemi_Ikazuchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-01, 13:53   Link #23
Takemi_Ikazuchi

@ MartAnimE

Phantom of Inferno was based on a Windows game that was released before Noir. Although the DVD remake was released during Noir's run

It's Noir that copied Phantom of Inferno
Old 2004-07-01, 14:21   Link #24
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takemi_Ikazuchi
@ MartAnimE

Phantom of Inferno was based on a Windows game that was released before Noir. Although the DVD remake was released during Noir's run

It's Noir that copied Phantom of Inferno
Really? What I've read is that the script of the new dvd game was a bit diffrent from the old pc game (wich was more like those old 'adult games'), and was changed to make it look more appealing (more like noir) since it included cgi art of the characters (the pc game had no images whatsoever, so I've read since I didn't played the game). Therefore, I think Phantom (dvd) copied the character design, but I don't think such a director as Koichi Mashimo would copy the argument of an old game, I mean, I've read his production notes and he said he was more influenced by the 'noir' style of those old movies. Anyway, do you know the year the pc game was released?
In any case, I don't care if this shows are copying each other cuz I love both!
Old 2004-07-01, 14:25   Link #25
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Initially I had low expectations for this considering the rather sloppy first episode.

Episode's 2 pacing and direction was much better and *gasp* manages to emulate the mood of the game relatively well.

The preview for episode 3 suggest that the next episode will cover the harbor battle and possibly the end of the first arc. If they take their time and extend the OAV to 6 episodes this might actually be a great series.

Either way, I recommend episode 2

EDIT: This episode has yet to have an English sub out at the moment. Get the DVDs!

-
You've seen episode 2? It haven't been licensed yet in bittorrent! Did you watched it raw or something?
Old 2004-07-01, 15:57   Link #26
Takemi_Ikazuchi

The original windows PoI for released in late 1999 along with Tsukihime (also made into an anime)

The script is 95% identical to the DVD version. The only difference is the original windows game depicted the more sexual scenes in a graphic nature

Spoiler:

The character designs are the same actually, except the artist seemed to have more refined now.

And yes, PoI is of the film noir genre, but don't confuse that with the anime Noir

Edit: I watched it raw.
Old 2004-07-01, 19:56   Link #27
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
The original windows PoI for released in late 1999 along with Tsukihime (also made into an anime)

The script is 95% identical to the DVD version. The only difference is the original windows game depicted the more sexual scenes in a graphic nature

Spoiler:

The character designs are the same actually, except the artist seemed to have more refined now.

And yes, PoI is of the film noir genre, but don't confuse that with the anime Noir

Edit: I watched it raw.
OK, you made your point but I still don't think a production from such a director and studio would be ripping off a pc game.
So you bought the japanese dvd! Does it have only an episode per dvd? Are there any extras?
Old 2004-09-03, 01:33   Link #28
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

So I just watched episode 2 and really enjoyed it. To be quite frank, I enjoyed episode 1 as well (although may earlier post may have been just a bit over the top). I'm really glad that another group has picked this up. It's not going to win any awards, but the music and the atmosphere just make it worthwhile.
Old 2004-09-03, 01:36   Link #29
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Thanks to Phoenix-Anime- i.e. Phantom

I just wanted to thank the people at Phoenix-Anime fansubs for picking up Phantom the Animation. I had wanted to see the rest of this, but everybody else dropped it long ago for more popular shows. Can't wait for ep. 3- thanks a lot!

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-09-03 at 02:05. Reason: Threads merged. It is ALWAYS better to post in an existing thread than to create a new one!
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 10:01   Link #30
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
I just wanted to thank the people at Phoenix-Anime fansubs for picking up Phantom the Animation. I had wanted to see the rest of this, but everybody else dropped it long ago for more popular shows. Can't wait for ep. 3- thanks a lot!
Don't make statements like that without knowing the facts.

Aikousha, for one, is still working on it. Even more so since our translator has returned from their summer abroad.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-03, 14:01   Link #31
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Paper
Don't make statements like that without knowing the facts.

Aikousha, for one, is still working on it. Even more so since our translator has returned from their summer abroad.
oops....my bad- I just remembered the conversation in this thread, assumed everyone else thought it was terrible, and consigned it to that pile of animes that would go unsubbed forever.
Old 2004-09-03, 17:11   Link #32
MartAnimE
willingness to die

I don't think it's terrible, I actually enjoy this show a lot! I played the dvd game and I was looking forward to see it turning into an anime! And I liked the music as well! I hope they release a soundtrack for the anime, they didn't do it for the game, even tough there were some good tracks (there was some kinda cheat to activate the access to the soundtrack)
Old 2004-09-08, 18:00   Link #33
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Spoiler:

Last edited by MartAnimE; 2004-09-10 at 14:00.
Old 2004-09-09, 21:50   Link #34
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navi en Grey
I think the anime was really bad. I didn't find anything in this anime very entertaining, except the fact that the anime is based on the japanese "video game". When I downloaded this, I was going, " YAY! ", but after watching this, i was very angry for wasting my slow dsl speed on this crap. I hate this anime, its bad, animation is horrible, the story (what story!?) is horrible, phew, and for some reason, I'm still interested in seeing more. I only saw one episode, so I know I have to at least see 3 episodes until I can give my opinion on what I think the anime is. Bad or good? So far its worst than bad. sorry to all phantome fans ^_^

- Navi
At least you got to watch it for free
Old 2004-09-10, 17:34   Link #35
MartAnimE
willingness to die

By the way, I tought this was going to be a three part OAV, but according to the game storyline, wich they seem to be following, it seems we'll have three episodes for each corresponding game chapter, which wold gives us 9 episodes, 3 OAVs, isn't that accurate? Do you know anything about this?

Last edited by MartAnimE; 2004-09-10 at 18:29.
Old 2004-09-13, 13:23   Link #36
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Well, I see this forum is not very popular, uh?
Anyway, does anyone knows when the next episode will be released?
I loved the last one, they're starting to explore the human side of the Phantom assassins. That's one of the things that kept my interest in the story when I played the game! Reiji was brainwashed but he still wishes for a normal life, it's like he's a different person when he's in his missions as Phantom. When he decided to play date with Ein, not to raise any suspicion, he was definetly happier than usual!
It seems like he's missing something that he can't remember... that's somehow sad but that's also what I like about his character! I'm curious to see wich end they'll pick: one of the three main endings of the game or something entirely new!
Old 2004-09-14, 22:29   Link #37
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

There's no need to keep bumping the thread.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-14, 22:44   Link #38
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Getting mad doesn't figure into it, from what I see. The least you could do is cover up the bumping by saying something other than "bump."

In case you haven't noticed, there's an index for the discussion threads, so there's really no need to bump anyway.

Mr_Paper already said that his group was fansubbing the series, it's a good bet he's following it.
Old 2004-09-14, 23:03   Link #39
Melty Snow
<3 WoW undead girls

Lol I thought ep 3 came out when this thread was staying afloat. O well, so is it true that it's 1 episode left? Someone mentioned earlier that it ep 3 could end an arc.... so the OVA is going to end without closing the story?
Old 2004-09-14, 23:05   Link #40
MartAnimE
willingness to die

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Getting mad doesn't figure into it, from what I see. The least you could do is cover up the bumping by saying something other than "bump."

In case you haven't noticed, there's an index for the discussion threads, so there's really no need to bump anyway.

Mr_Paper already said that his group was fansubbing the series, it's a good bet he's following it.
You both made your point, and I'm sorry if my post was a "bump" Let's just forget about that okay?

I actually have a remark to do about the second episode: That play that was acting when Reiji entered to kill that guy was supposed to be Phantom of the Opera, right? That song those actors were singing is actually part of the play or they were just making it up? Or was it just a "regular" Opera and no one was expecting the character to turn up?