AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2012-12-22, 01:55   Link #81
sa547
*Author

Most recent chapter was... earthshaking.
Old 2012-12-22, 06:32   Link #82
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Man among men. I see Maya's breakdown is complete, and I liked how the dialogue went full circle. When we first see Maya the producer talks about creating monsters (chapter 70, page 2), and now we see Maya saying that the monster was Minori all along.
Old 2012-12-24, 05:47   Link #83
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

I caught up just as the arc finishes! Bless those Sense guys. They did the same marathon thing with Giant Killing.

For all its flaws around the edges, the sometimes overboard crazy villainy, the disturbing realities of the real idol world and the fundamental suspension of disbelief from the premise, it's amazing how much this manga captivates me. It's basically AKB's best propaganda for non-idol otaku like me, lol.

(Still don't think their music is all that; "Pairosmith" for me, please!)

Minoru is how you create a hot-blooded, "hero" character. A class above all the juvenile, muscle-headed idiots you get from time to time in mainstream shounen.

Okabe kicks ass this arc. She reminds me of Emi from Toradora, she's never going to be an innocent sweetheart but she's great to have on your side, and she's toned it down enough that her bites are just more tsun than bitch (just the right amount of spice for the tsundere lovers). And to think she was in Maya's role at the start of the manga.

Yoshinaga got her fair share of development, with the classic "it's my turn to be of use!" moment for her type of character, so I couldn't really ask for much more. There's some sort of maybe almost not really romance development too, though Acchan is still way cooler and Takamina more adorable -- too bad actual romance with those two will never happen because they're, well, real life idols and all.

Now if only poor Haruka back at the dorm would get to be a bit more than the most visible beta friend girl, plus the rest of the AKB kenkyuusei also need some character development...
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 07:41   Link #84
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

All things considered, the antagonist were pretty lame in the end. It relied entirely on their initial premise of 'money power', and played it straight-on, even when it became clear from very early that they had nothing on GJ's idol-power. Given the whole 'monster' hint that they had with Maya, I'd thought they'd give her a little more bite once they were challenged... but it turned out to be nothing but barks to the end.

On the bright side, the confrontation also ended early instead of possibly being dragged along into a messy long rivalry, so all-in-all, it wasn't too bad... Though it was pretty hilarious and awkward to see the producer become all mushy and ranting from his defeat. I'd like to say it was a satisfying sight, but somehow it wasn't.

And I guess the promotion arc will be the headway into finally developing the kenkyuusai's characters, beyond their current stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
IThere's some sort of maybe almost not really romance development too, though Acchan is still way cooler and Takamina more adorable -- too bad actual romance with those two will never happen because they're, well, real life idols and all.

Oh well, a dere~Okabe is fine too.

But at this point of the story... never mind romantic development, Minoru's presence as a character is more or less just an occasional reminder that 'he's a guy', and when he needs to be the plot device that Minori cannot.

Well, until the eventual revelation or disappearance.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 08:11   Link #85
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Oh well, a dere~Okabe is fine too.
More than fine indeed.

Too bad she herself put it on a bus. She has a dream bigger than love...

I am curious how the real Acchan and Takamina view their manga portrayals. The way the manga portrays Maeda, she kind of a "cool diva" more suited for Hollywood stardom than the being center of a Japanese "kawaii" idol group, lol. Dem sunglasses and fur coats, man.

(Interestingly, she also recently graduated from AKB. How will that be reflected here eventually, hmm?)

Quote:
But at this point of the story... never mind romantic development, Minoru's presence as a character is more or less just an occasional reminder that 'he's a guy', and when he needs to be the plot device that Minori cannot.
The incident near the end of the arc was a pretty close call, though. Albeit I was impressed how Minoru shifted from his girly Minori body to a man's in the process of having his clothes taken off. Oh manga.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-24, 10:04   Link #86
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
The incident near the end of the arc was a pretty close call, though. Albeit I was impressed how Minoru shifted from his girly Minori body to a man's in the process of having his clothes taken off.
The thing I like about AKB49 is how it avoids falling back on those kind of incidents for drama and cheap thrills.

I was extremely skeptical about this series at first, since I was worried it was going to be Pretty Face 2.0, where the series relies primarily on a gimmick of 'identity discovery cliffhanger.'

I mean, it does happen, but that's par for the course whenever a guys cross-dresses as a girl. I'm glad that the series's real core is far from that.

Quote:
Oh manga.
Dem hips and near-crotch shots during the dance scenes.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Old 2012-12-25, 10:40   Link #87
sa547
*Author

I'm onto the most recent chapters.

Spoiler for Re: Maya and other things:
Old 2013-01-22, 16:36   Link #88
kramerica

I picked this manga out of the blue and I found myself pleasantly surprised. I keep rooting for the MC in every chapter.

Nanael is not amused.
kramerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 20:50   Link #89
X207
Gamyūsa

this series is good though its not at the top of my to read list. its enjoyable to read and sufficiently entertaining. i do like the series Skip Beat and this series is nearly the same format. i do wonder what he'll do when others find out the secret (ones not content to cover for him) or when his voice deepens making it hard to hide behind that disguise. theres also the issue of Okabe finding out about him given she experessed an interest to not be seen with other guys in public. i dont think it'll be a very good response but its probably going to happen eventually.
Old 2013-01-22, 20:58   Link #90
sa547
*Author

The latest chapter -- 115 -- was a true shocker. Can't say much, but I was astonished when I saw the last page.
Old 2013-02-09, 15:30   Link #91
jasper222

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
The latest chapter -- 115 -- was a true shocker. Can't say much, but I was astonished when I saw the last page.
no offense, but 119 is even more so.
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-15, 04:07   Link #92
Xion Valkyrie

So uh, Minori has the King's Haki?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 05:11   Link #93
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

I'm only up to chapter 114 but I liked Ria from the first panel she appeared :3
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-18, 06:51   Link #94
blade82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
and she's practicing her Ki for fly like gohan taught her
blade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-22, 16:07   Link #95
jasper222

Quote:
it can almost make one of the senbatsu faint

he's getting there
jasper222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 03:12   Link #96
SoFarGone
H.A.M.

the last page of chapter 117

Spoiler for 117:
Old 2013-03-15, 22:20   Link #97
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

the last page of chapter 119

Spoiler for for 119:

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Old 2013-03-15, 23:13   Link #98
lightbringer
M9000

Saw this coming a mile away, but shit just got realer than real!
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 23:32   Link #99
Xion Valkyrie

Spoiler:
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 22:58   Link #100
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Spoiler:
Good guess.

It was nice seeing Minoru give a direct answer in response to Alice as well.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote