AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2011-12-07, 22:24   Link #81
Slayerx

You know, considering how Wadatsumi was exiled from the island instead of being locked up... how much you want to bet that he might get a role in a cover-ministory-arc?

Also another thing i thought was a nice touch is how when Robin referred to Shirahoshi as Poseidon, shirahoshi was in a fetal position, just like she was when Otihime was talking about her power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
It's just a hunch, but what if Noah is Pluton in actuality? Pluton was described as a ship so that could be the case. Perhaps Pluton and Poseidon are both just "parts" of an even greater weapon?
Eh, i don't think so... if Pluton was just a part of the weapon, and not he weapon itself then frankie's blue prints would be meaningless. If you do not have posidon then building pluton would not do you any good, and the whole reason the shipwrights held on to the blueprints for so long was so that it could counter any other ancient weapon that might be revived in the wrong hands. also noah seems like nothing more than a very large ship...

but a third weapon going by the name of zeus/saturn... ya I could easily see that
Old 2011-12-07, 22:51   Link #82
Bonta Kun
One Punch Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Or, a third option, she doesn't go with the Strawhats, thus relieving us of worrying about her size in comparison to anything. .
Wheres the fun in that?!

Well I for one won't mind one bit if Shira joins, even if she becomes a mini me of her current self(which I think is one of her biggest charms, pun intended)

I think it could happen altho I certainly wouldn't get my hopes up on it, haven't done so for any character(even for Hancock)ever since Brooke joined.

She would fill a role I hoped Vivi could have done, someone of real importance i.e royalty.
Well one way I can reason behind her joining is she wants to explore the world, just as much as the others.
And plus if she wants to follow in her mothers footsteps getting to explore the "human" world is def a requirement(actually hoping on Oda playing on this!)
And effectively she really doesn't have to do anything on Fishman Island, we all know the slate has been wiped clean, altho getting Fishfolk to get on board Otohime's will will still be tough, I think the Princes can handle that.

I can admit it's rather easy getting one's hopes up on Shira joining but at same time, theres always gonna be this ickling feeling it just won't happen.

FYI, I'd also be fine with Madam Shirley joining or anyone of the many beautiful mermaids

As for the chapter, love this "hero" business
A pretty interesting chapter on the whole, the deal with Joyboy has really piqued my interest now.
Old 2011-12-07, 22:56   Link #83
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

so jimbei might join later.......................JOIN NOW!!!
Old 2011-12-08, 00:36   Link #84
ashesatdusk

Send a message via AIM to ashesatdusk
Hey I kind of predicted something half right. Noah having somethign to do with ancient weapons. I wouldn't have guessed posseidon was the mermaid princes. It makes sense given the name.

Ridiculous predictions.

1. Fishman Arc actually begins now. A lot f major One piece arcs are paired arcs. Water 7/Enies Lobby. Amazon Lily/ImpelDown/War. Fishman Island has been mentioned for 4+ year in the stories its significant obviously revealed. The whole time, through this arc I've been thinking this is far too short and almost trivial for this to be it.

2. Franky has some contraption that will be capable of bringing shirahoshi along for the ride =). I don't actually believe this.

3. Pluton could still be a ship. Crocodile was looking for pluton, so the person who said franky destroyed its blue prints is incorrect. Frank destroyed blue prints to counter pluton. I like the theory that Pluton is a land weapon as he is the "king of the underworld" while Poseidon was the ruler of the sea. Weakyhoshi's ability makes her infact queen of the sea.

The reason I think Pluton could be a ship is simply because its also the name of A famous spanish ship. The other possibility is Pluton does follow the same pattern as hoshi and is a person. Reading too far into the name, one pattern I've noticed is that Both Neptune and Poseidon refer to gods of sea with minor differences that do not actually make them the same person. However, common knowledge often describe them as the same deity or counter part which is incorrect. Shirahoshi's father is neptune, while she is posseidon. Hades and Pluto share a similar relationship
Old 2011-12-08, 01:02   Link #85
Franckie

This was a surprisingly informative chapter with Oda beginning to address the "Lost History" with info we learned several hundred chapters ago. My prediction about Jimbei not joining turned out true and will probably stay that way. Still, I'm doubtful that they'll leave Fishmen Islan without their tenth and final crewmate in tow.

I don't think this arc is over yet, however. MHQ has already learned the Mugiwaras are still alive and will soon learn the recent developments of Fishmen Island. Letting them into the New World would be yet another embarassment and blunder for them. MHQ will show-up and that fight will further destroy the isle, causing Luffy to go on a rampage and fulfill the promise made 800 years ago.
Franckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 02:04   Link #86
Prinnydood
Madness Through Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
so jimbei might join later.......................JOIN NOW!!!

QFE!

I hope that he actually JOINS the crew.. instead of pulling off another Vivi.. that'd be dumb if he did .. This arc probably isn't over just yet.. Got a feeling that something big is going to happen soon or idk hmmmm...

Decent chapter though. Oda always does a nice job in wrapping things up.
Old 2011-12-08, 03:42   Link #87
ronin myael
lost ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
but a third weapon going by the name of zeus/saturn... ya I could easily see that
hmmm... actually jupiter is the roman name for zeus not saturn. pluton is obviously named after pluto, or hades the god of the underworld. poseidon is named after the god of the sea. if pluton is a ship and poseidon is a mermaid princess with the power to control the sea kings, then what would the third weapon be? zeus is the god of the sky and the most powerful among the three brothers, what kind of weapon do you think it would be? just curious.

Last edited by ronin myael; 2011-12-08 at 04:37.
ronin myael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 04:12   Link #88
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
i have feeling Shira will die. consider one piece is now bit gritty
you read my mind???

my prediction will be : Caribou is hearing Robin and Neptune's conversation... after that he go to do something to Shirahoshi (kidnapping.... or worse than that)

even if you can't see me, even if you can't hear me, I'll be by your side (Kaname Madoka, 2011)
anime list
manga list
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 07:08   Link #89
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Silver King View Post
........Why?
after WG vs WB saga. i have feeling Oda not hesitated to kill anybody

and consider fate of Pluton and how dengerous, all ancient weapon maybe will share same fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
you read my mind???

my prediction will be : Caribou is hearing Robin and Neptune's conversation... after that he go to do something to Shirahoshi (kidnapping.... or worse than that)
no, you read my mind! :P

anyway my prediction

Caribou Hear the conversation and decide to kidnap Shira hoping he can sell it to WG for huge amount of money. (or he can just say "give me you entire treasure in to ensure Princess safety" or even BOTH! (he get treasure but still selling Shira nyway))

obviously Straw hat crew will rescue her.

then this can be 2 direction

1) they successfully rescue her. however Shira and Jimbei decide to saty on memaid island since it more safe than joining straw hat (it seem every one forgot that big mom is in there ) so yeah no jimbe in straw hat

2) Shira decide to make sacrifice because she think is to dangerous to life in this world (or other reason like saving fishman island from volcano) this make poseidon "destroyed" just like pluton (unleash if one of her bother carry bloodline which probably one piece will end before birth of new mermaid princess). this MAYBE motivated Jimbei to join the crew with hope of saving/destroy the ancient weapon/ overthrown WG/ fulfill mermaid princess wish (Shira or previous one)
Old 2011-12-08, 08:06   Link #90
ronin myael
lost ronin

what if the world government would somehow find the original pluton and the power of poseidon will be needed to counteract it? the thing is, shirahoshi is no fighter. she doesn't want to hurt anyone, and she has no killer instincts whatsoever, how could they convince her to go to war? she's not exactly a piece of a hardware that you can just use when you need it, she's a living being.
Old 2011-12-08, 09:36   Link #91
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
hmmm... actually jupiter is the roman name for zeus not saturn. pluton is obviously named after pluto, or hades the god of the underworld. poseidon is named after the god of the sea. if pluton is a ship and poseidon is a mermaid princess with the power to control the sea kings, then what would the third weapon be? zeus is the god of the sky and the most powerful among the three brothers, what kind of weapon do you think it would be? just curious.
*cough*Enel*cough* .

If Pluton is a military warship of some kind that has the power to match the WG itself, and Poseidon has dominion/command over humongous sea kings that are capable of destroying the world, it really makes one contemplate just how exactly the third weapon will logically be even more powerful than those two. Since we haven't even heard about it yet, I won't be surprised if it's located at Raftel. Very few have ever stepped foot on that island (in fact, I believe only Roger and his crew have ever made it there), so that would explain why hardly anyone knows about it.
Old 2011-12-08, 10:48   Link #92
K. Shiruto

After reading a better translation of the chapter, it's now clear that if Jinbe doesn't join at the end of the arc, then he'll never join.

So yeah, everyone get ready to welcome Shirahoshi to the crew.
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 11:24   Link #93
ZGoten
Custom User Title

Send a message via ICQ to ZGoten
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashesatdusk View Post
Reading too far into the name, one pattern I've noticed is that Both Neptune and Poseidon refer to gods of sea with minor differences that do not actually make them the same person. However, common knowledge often describe them as the same deity or counter part which is incorrect. Shirahoshi's father is neptune, while she is posseidon. Hades and Pluto share a similar relationship
Weren't Neptune and Pluto the ancient Roman counterparts to the Poseidon and Hades of Greek mythology? The Romans were heavily influenced by Greek architecture and mythology for example, which is why they came up with their own equivalents to the Gods of their spiritual forefathers, if you will. Mars for example was, I believe, the God of War, the equivalent to Ares.
Old 2011-12-08, 11:35   Link #94
marvelB

And going back to the subject of people underestimating sea kings, I think now is a good time to once again bring up that one goldfish sea king from Little Garden.... y'know, the one that literally ate entire islands and took the combined strength of two powerful giants to kill? Yeah, guess those monsters sure are weak, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
Normally her power would make shirahoshi mermaid island's defender, but the reveal that her power is so great that she is in fact considered one of the ancient weapons changes things greatly. If the world government ever catch wind of that truth then they WILL seek to to capture/control her, or kill her if that is unfeasible. While fishman island SHOULD be considered the ultimate "high" ground for shirahoshi's power and the fishmen, the world government should not be underestimated in their resourcefulness.

Furthermore we have to take into account fishman island's possession of the world's most powerful weapon and refusal to hand over said weapon to the world government will likely lead to ruining the chances for fishman/human reconciliation. The world government would not want shirahoshi remaining independent and would much rather have her at their beck and call (like using her to crush a certain revolution)... their attempts to bring shirahoshi under their complete influence or eliminate her as a potential threat would create pressure that would ruin human/fishman relations

heh, could be that the best thing for shirahoshi and fishman/human realtions would be for her to "disappear" for the time being

Now it's true that Shirahoshi's ability has the potential to strain the relationship between humans and fish-people, but on the flip-side, she can also be seen as the ultimate "bargaining chip" of sorts to help build relations with the WG. I mean, think of it this way: In the past, the government rejected the idea of using the ancient weapons themselves, going so far as to erase the group of scholars who were closest to unearthing them (Robin being the only survivor of those scholars). And yet, after some time passed, Spandam managed to convince the elders to use the weapons for themselves. Now, if they were to find out that the mermaid princess herself is a weapon, they'd undoubtedly want to use her for themselves. So what if Neptune and the princes negotiate a deal with the government so that their island would receive more support from them in exchange for their services (similar to how they're currently doing business with Big Mom, in other words)? That way, the merfolk won't have to worry about the world nobles waging war against them for the time being (since they'll be too afraid of being eaten by the sea monsters) while at the same time the royalty will be able to keep a closer eye on the government and be properly prepared for them in the event that they DO strike back. Seems like a pretty reasonable solution, no?

And frankly, I wouldn't worry about Shirashoshi's power going berserk anytime soon. She seems way too timid to just randomly order the sea kings to go around destroying everything in their path.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 11:56   Link #95
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Now it's true that Shirahoshi's ability has the potential to strain the relationship between humans and fish-people, but on the flip-side, she can also be seen as the ultimate "bargaining chip" of sorts to help build relations with the WG. I mean, think of it this way: In the past, the government rejected the idea of using the ancient weapons themselves, going so far as to erase the group of scholars who were closest to unearthing them (Robin being the only survivor of those scholars). And yet, after some time passed, Spandam managed to convince the elders to use the weapons for themselves. Now, if they were to find out that the mermaid princess herself is a weapon, they'd undoubtedly want to use her for themselves. So what if Neptune and the princes negotiate a deal with the government so that their island would receive more support from them in exchange for their services (similar to how they're currently doing business with Big Mom, in other words)? That way, the merfolk won't have to worry about the world nobles waging war against them for the time being (since they'll be too afraid of being eaten by the sea monsters) while at the same time the royalty will be able to keep a closer eye on the government and be properly prepared for them in the event that they DO strike back. Seems like a pretty reasonable solution, no?
The problem is that I cannot see the WG negotiating well with anyone when it comes to such a weapon. Truthfully I believe before anything, they would try to lock Shirahoshi away. They would never allow such a weapon to be free, in my opinion.

And protector of Fishman Island? Sure, With her power, she could very well station an army of Sea Kings around Fishman Island to keep the WG or Pirates away...but what if they manage to get inside?
An admiral, for example, is quite capable of infiltrating Fishman island and once there he'd be virtually unstoppable (the army is crap and the only strongest guys, the 3 brothers and Neptune can't even beat Hody...who is a joke to be honest...)
Once even a Vice-Admiral or two (don't even need an admiral) are inside the island, Shirahoshi's power is useless because any Sea King that got inside would be either too small and weak to do anything or too big which would endanger FI itself.

I'm not saying Shira should join the Strawhats, but staying on the island with the risk of her power being brought to light to the WG (lets not forget that multiple pirates saw the Sea Kings as well) is too risky for her. Betting if anything Jinbei will go with her into hiding just to keep her safe...of course if she doesn't join the crew...

About joining the crew...I'm not wholly against it...God knows that group needs more ladies than anything. However to me, she doesn't fit the crew personality wise, there's the whole...bigger than Sunny issue and she can't really go on land unless they pull some little mermaid BS and turn her human while on land or something >_>
Hell Hachi and Keimi would be a better fit than her in my honest opinion. Or Shirley...just sayin

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 13:33   Link #96
The Small One

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
And going back to the subject of people underestimating sea kings, I think now is a good time to once again bring up that one goldfish sea king from Little Garden.... y'know, the one that literally ate entire islands and took the combined strength of two powerful giants to kill? Yeah, guess those monsters sure are weak, huh?
Yup, they are a good example of how weak the Sea Kings are.
Those Giants were not really powerful... none of the Giants we've seen so far actually were especially wrong. Even Oars could be defeated by normal people.

About the ancient weapons: I guess one of them has to be some sort of Airship. Air supremacy is the key to winning wars, especially in a world where nearly all movement is on the surface (by ships).

Talking about Franky and the destroyed blueprints: I wonder if he used any of the knowledge from those blueprints, together with the knowledge from Vegapunk's home, to improve his body or the ship.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 14:13   Link #97
grey_1960
Detective Kate Beckett

^
I always wondered about that? If Franky really did destroy the Blue Print. I mean all those years of defending it and keeping it a secret and he never bothered to look. Two what about Tom's belief that there are no bad ships. I would not be surprised if Franky made a copy or memorized the design for Pluton. For a guy who like do build war ships I don't think he would pass up this one and a life time chance.

Shirahoshi
Shirahoshi is completely safe were she is at. Has long has the WG does not know about her power and they don't take the legendary Mermaid story actual truth or come to the same conclusion has Robin. If she joins the Straw Hats she would literally be hurting herself. The Straw Hats are famous and enemy to the WG. Adding her will only make the WG suspicious of her. Then they would be more tempted to go to Fisherman Island. Her joining would have more negatives then positives. Second you can't hurt what you do no know. Ignorance is the best defense. If the WG still in the dark about the information that has come to light in this arch then it would be for the best she not join at all.
grey_1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 14:41   Link #98
james0246

^
Quote:
as long has the WG does not know about her power and they don't take the legendary Mermaid story actual truth
The WG are the only ones that actually know what happened during the Void Century, so I think it is safe to assume that they know what Poseidon is/was. In fact, to go further, it is arguable that the entire subjugation of the Fishmen race exists solely due to the connection between mermaids and Poseidon (the reverse could also be true, and the Fishmen have deliberately kept themselves separate so as to not tempt mankind with an ultimate weapon).

Added to that, since the Tenryubito do know of Shira, I expect the WG is already aware of her gifts and has simply taken a wait and see policy.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 14:48   Link #99
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
Yup, they are a good example of how weak the Sea Kings are.
Those Giants were not really powerful... none of the Giants we've seen so far actually were especially wrong. Even Oars could be defeated by normal people.

You.... actually took that post of mine seriously? Wow. I mean, I figured there would be a limit to how much one would underestimate things, but just.... wow.

For one thing, you already brushed off Dorry and Broggy as being "not really powerful"..... two giants who have 100-million bounties, making them at least on par with supernova-level pirates (heck, their price probably would have been higher if they weren't fighting each other to the death for over a century). And I guess you also forgot how their combined attack against that sea king split the freaking ocean apart, huh? Or I suppose you think that any nobody pirate is capable of such a feat? Gee, I wasn't aware that all pirates had Moses powers......

And you also brought up Oars (I'm assuming you mean Junior here) as an example..... yes, the giant who was shelled by nearly as much artillery as Whitebeard, and ended up getting taken out by three of the Shichibukai before finally passing out (and yet he STILL managed to recover long enough to help the warring pirates one last time). But nope, I guess those giants are all pansies to you, huh..... just a few thousand bullets and cannonballs and they'll drop like a fly! Nope, no trouble at all!

C'mon man, you should know as well as anyone else that giants or sea kings are nothing to sneeze at, particularly the latter. Sure, a single beast may be no problem for a VA or legendary pirates like Rayleigh, but as others have already said, you amass a huge army of those suckers and even the most beastly of humans would be screwed......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
The problem is that I cannot see the WG negotiating well with anyone when it comes to such a weapon. Truthfully I believe before anything, they would try to lock Shirahoshi away. They would never allow such a weapon to be free, in my opinion.

And protector of Fishman Island? Sure, With her power, she could very well station an army of Sea Kings around Fishman Island to keep the WG or Pirates away...but what if they manage to get inside?
An admiral, for example, is quite capable of infiltrating Fishman island and once there he'd be virtually unstoppable (the army is crap and the only strongest guys, the 3 brothers and Neptune can't even beat Hody...who is a joke to be honest...)
Once even a Vice-Admiral or two (don't even need an admiral) are inside the island, Shirahoshi's power is useless because any Sea King that got inside would be either too small and weak to do anything or too big which would endanger FI itself.

I think the WG cooperating with mermaid island at this point would work because keeping Shira under close surveillance would benefit them just as well as it would benefit Neptune's family. They could observe her strengths and weaknesses and take advantage of her power when the time is right. Like say an envoy from the government convinces her that a group of evil humans whose intentions are to disturb the fish-people's peace are on their way to the island so they suggest that she send a sea king or two their way to gobble them up? However, those "evil humans" are in fact revolutionaries (or anyone opposing the WG, period). See, in that sense, it would be a sort of "win-win" situation for both sides (even if the government's intentions for repairing relations with the fish-people isn't exactly the most honorable or honest)......

And again: If the WG truly did see the princess as a threat, then they should have eliminated her when her mother was still alive, since a world noble even witnessed her ability in action. Now that she's older and is fully aware of her power (and has the added protection of her family + Jinbei), I don't think she would be in as much danger now as she was when she was still a child (or when she spent all those years locked in the tower because of Decken).

And as for the crewmate discussion: While I'd definitely have no objections to a new female member, as you indicated, I'd also prefer for her to actually have some substance rather than just stand around acting cute (besides, that's technically Chopper's role, to some extent ). I'd like to see Shirley join myself, but I think having a seer join would be almost as much overkill as Jinbei joining, to be honest. I guess we'll have to wait until the New World for a suitable lady to appear......
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-08, 14:56   Link #100
K. Shiruto

^Cute? No, no, no... Shirahoshi's funny point is her naiveness.

"Hey, I know blood is red!"

I chuckled at this.
K. Shiruto is offline   Reply With Quote