AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-08-26, 05:47   Link #201
Eratas123

Okay, I think the main guy actually being a dude has been completely abandoned:/ I haven't seen a single reference to him being a guy, nor does anybody seem to know. In the Ebiten manga, he wore the male uniform from the start.
Old 2012-08-26, 11:17   Link #202
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
Okay, I think the main guy actually being a dude has been completely abandoned:/ I haven't seen a single reference to him being a guy, nor does anybody seem to know.
Did you watch episode 3? I don't see how you could say that after that episode.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 05:07   Link #203
Eratas123

Got about a quarter in before it got hit by lag. Why, what happened?
Old 2012-08-27, 12:08   Link #204
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

There was a character introduced who clearly referred to Noya-san as "he".
Old 2012-08-27, 12:23   Link #205
Eratas123

You mean the Imouto? Anyway, I meant the fact that it's barely acknowledged. The manga has him going in as a full guy and makes it pretty obvious he's male. I'm just wondering why they thought making him crossdress 3 episodes in a row would be a good idea.
Old 2012-08-27, 12:42   Link #206
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

To that, I can't say - as I've already commented here, it seems like an odd choice to neutralize the main gag from the early part of the manga like that. Effectively they've made his character irrelevant by removing the hook (no pun intended) that made him interesting in the context of the story.
Old 2012-08-27, 12:55   Link #207
Eratas123

It also makes him look stupid:/ "Oh, this club has two Ass' in Astronomy, they make me crossdress, they do nothing but parody manga, and they have a room in the basement despite needing the roof for stargazing.........seems legit!"
Old 2012-08-27, 14:01   Link #208
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Staircase just released Episode 4 of Ebiten today too.

Just watched a downloaded version of Episode 3. I don't really recognize the references in episode 3, although the talk of the "Earth Defence Force" made me think of the 80s OVA of "Prefectural Earth Defence Force". I sort of wonder if their spelling of "defence" reflects how the Japanese spell it in English or whether that more reflects that Staircase are Australian.

The imouto was hilarious though. She certainly takes her chemistry seriously. I also liked the Sirius reference and how Sirius is a white star(blue-white actually). I also loved how the student council president showed up in this episode too.

I gotta say the absurdist humor is striking the right chord with me. This along with Humanity Has Declined have been my favorite comedies of the season.

I would also like to see Noya take on more of a role in things, since the club president takes up a lot of the focus.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-27, 18:10   Link #209
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
I wonder if Staircase will sub the TV broadcast as well, or if other subbers join in on the fun.
The main reason it wasn't picked up was the stamp-sized format with horrible image quality. Once the TV version with 720p and good quality is out, other subbers will probably pick it up.
Don't know about Staircase - they might go back to translating eroge.
Old 2012-08-27, 19:56   Link #210
Lukeman1884

So................any speculation as to why the Imouto is so obsessed with finding "Itsuki-sama"? And why she doesn't seem to know what he looks like? (Considering they were in the same room).
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 12:06   Link #211
Zeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
The main reason it wasn't picked up was the stamp-sized format with horrible image quality. Once the TV version with 720p and good quality is out, other subbers will probably pick it up.
Don't know about Staircase - they might go back to translating eroge.
Main reason eh? Evetaku which was arguably the most experienced and talented out of the fan-sub groups that were considering working on Ebiten, definitely had different reasons.

Once again, I'm not saying the less than stellar video quality had no effect, but it wasn't the ONLY reason. Having read only one chapter of the manga, I'm already inclined to agree that the anime is just another case of a bad adaptation. Of course, I'll have to read more chapters before I make my final opinion on this series. But I particularly like how in the manga Noya actually has a personality, and quite a bit more common sense as well. I also liked the "entrance test" better, it was actually amusing to me. On a more shallow note, Inugami's superior original artwork didn't hurt either.

Btw, unless staircase releases their episode scripts, I really don't see a group picking up the TV rips. There's not a shortage of things that need subbed this fall season, and the Ebiten BDs start coming out in December. So why would a group spend time subbing a show from last season, when the BDs are coming out so soon after the TV airing?
Zeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 12:53   Link #212
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Seems like a shame to judge a show after only one episode, which is all that would have aired at the time that was written.
Old 2012-08-28, 14:32   Link #213
Zeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Seems like a shame to judge a show after only one episode, which is all that would have aired at the time that was written.
Not really. Personally I usually tend to give anime I'm on the fence about a 3 episode trial. But I've dropped quite a few series at episode 1. The "this just isn't for me" kind of feeling. If anything, the first episode of Ebiten did a good job of showing the viewer what they were in store for. Cute girls doing cute things, heavy use of references from other anime, a cross dressing male lead, and pink underwear. If someone didn't enjoy that in episode 1, they most likely wouldn't be enjoying it now 6 episodes later.

It didn't pass my three episode trial. But I'm still watching it in hopes I can find just what it is about this anime that inspires such fiercely loyal and dedicated fans. I'm legitimately curious.
Zeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 15:16   Link #214
AmeNoJaku
dead-pan

I haven't read the manga, but the anime is hilarious. I guess expectation, hype and advertisement are more important into forming people's opinions than the actual content
AmeNoJaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-28, 22:04   Link #215
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eratas123 View Post
It also makes him look stupid:/ "Oh, this club has two Ass' in Astronomy, they make me crossdress, they do nothing but parody manga, and they have a room in the basement despite needing the roof for stargazing.........seems legit!"
To be fair to Noya, that's a liberal translation of the slight difference between their Tenmon-bu and what would normally be known the Tenmon-bu(Astronomy Club). The "Asstronomy" Club uses one slightly different kanji, and Staircase uses that kanji difference to translate it as "Asstromy Club".

Anyway, saw Episode 4. Loved the Cowboy Bebop reference with how the student council president did a slow fall out of the glass window(that may also have been a indirect Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya reference due to a scene during Kyon's epic internal monologue and the Santa Claus bit a few episodes ago also reminded me of Disappearance). I had to look up the Alcor reference at the end to make the connection to Fist of the North Star and the death omen aspect of it.

But yeah, I like how they manage to get in the little astronomical details into this show. I was wondering if the Club President wearing the Sherlock hat was reference to Milky Holmes or was it a nod to Detective Conan?
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 06:13   Link #216
Lukeman1884

Spoiler for ep 5:
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-30, 06:29   Link #217
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

i have problem with my internet so i cannot watch it after ep 2 T.T
Old 2012-08-30, 16:30   Link #218
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeris View Post
...It didn't pass my three episode trial. But I'm still watching it in hopes I can find just what it is about this anime that inspires such fiercely loyal and dedicated fans. I'm legitimately curious.
I think it could be mainly a matter of sense of humour. If you didn't like the first three episodes, it's probably because this just isn't a style of humour you enjoy. It didn't take me many episodes to realize that Mitsudomoe and Minami-ke didn't hit my own particular funny bone.

One more reason Japanese fans and many Western fans don't enjoy it could be that some people put a huge importance on animation, and this is nothing special in that regard. I suspect that if the mangaka was disappointed it might have been because of that -- and also because of the way they adapted it, switching the material from the first chapter so deep into the story. Even I, much as I like the anime, found that decision fairly strange.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-01, 13:30   Link #219
TheEroKing
On a Break

Send a message via Skype™ to TheEroKing
NSFW
Nyantype
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-09-01, 14:42   Link #220
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's certainly a more important role than Noya has had in the anime so far...

Tags
romantic comedy, seinen