AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-16, 22:23   Link #161
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Sound like you just watch someone playing on easy. I'm not defending the game just because I like it, but I feel like you are just being biased against thing that called "zombie" (it's fungus in this case). The game doesn't scare you by using cheap scary factor in movie, but more like the intense feel at every encounter, and honestly, playing the game at anything below hard and new game+ totally ruins that if you ask me.
I'm biased because it isn't scary AT ALL. Titles who just tack on "zombies" or whatever with FPS or third person shooter elements and then call it horror just makes me roll my eyes. I mentioned Amnesia: Dark Descent as a true recent example of survival horror. No weapons and the way you beat monsters is to... avoid them using your environment and solving puzzles... none of the stupid quicktime event bullshit that's been present since the God of War franchise. You tell me what scarier, Last of us or this:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

And the sequel comes out in the next few months which I'm very much looking forward to.
Old 2013-06-16, 22:53   Link #162
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
I'm biased because it isn't scary AT ALL. Titles who just tack on "zombies" or whatever with FPS or third person shooter elements and then call it horror just makes me roll my eyes. I mentioned Amnesia: Dark Descent as a true recent example of survival horror. No weapons and the way you beat monsters is to... avoid them using your environment and solving puzzles... none of the stupid quicktime event bullshit that's been present since the God of War franchise. You tell me what scarier, Last of us or this:

YouTube

And the sequel comes out in the next few months which I'm very much looking forward to.
Play on hard, and you'd see just how hard and scary it can get. Especially when

Spoiler for slight gameplay spoilers:
Old 2013-06-16, 23:39   Link #163
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE Send a message via Skype™ to SOGESNAKE
So, after about a.... 14 hour playthrough on Normal, I finally beat the game. I absolutely loved the game... though, the ending was pretty meh. I'll be going to a Survivor/No Listen Mode playthrough next, since the playthroughs DO stack, so I don't need to do 8 seperate playthroughs for all the trophies.
Old 2013-06-17, 22:45   Link #164
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

the online is quite addicting. Laggy on the fire rate on the guns though fun game. One player mode Great story great graphics, nice controls gets a little to get used too. It's like RE only more grounded.

Quirks on the game. The AI enemies don't mind your companinion AI's that much.
Old 2013-06-17, 22:55   Link #165
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjiharima View Post
Quirks on the game. The AI enemies don't mind your companinion AI's that much.
I'm actually glad how it works like that. The last thing you would want is being punished because of retarded ally's AI.
Old 2013-06-18, 06:46   Link #166
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
I'm actually glad how it works like that. The last thing you would want is being punished because of retarded ally's AI.
Seriously, The AI will never be smart enough to be able to take care of its self or in case of stealth, be stealthy. People who complain about this "Issue" need to realize it's not a bug.. glitch or anything, it was programed that way so the game wouldn't be unforgivable hard.

Imagin if clickers didn't ignore your allies, imagin the frustration because the AI ally was attacking a runner ignoring the clicker.
Old 2013-06-18, 10:30   Link #167
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post

YouTube

As a person who actually DID play both games, I feel they both achieve their survival-horror scare factor in completely different ways. Amnesia relies heavily on your utter helplessness and inability to fight back in any conceivable way, while as you Last of Us is about striking a shaky balance between your few resources and your extreme mortality once you run out of them, sort of like how the older resident evils were like. Seriously, you die so easily here to both humans and infected (trying to shoot your way through more often that not results in death) that most of the time I end up trying to avoid fighting altogether. When you do end up having to fight, you get scared as you run out of the resources you'll need to fight. It's not something you can quite watch, but something you'd feel as a result of your own playstyle. And believe it or not, most of the "horror" in The Last of Us don't actually come from the infected. Though on a scale between survival and horror, I'd
definitely put it in on the survival side of things.

Also, why all the hate for the ending I'm seeing in the thread? I thought it was absolutely perfect, and was surprised that

Spoiler for Huge Ending Spoiler:

Last edited by com_gwp; 2013-06-18 at 10:58.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 10:55   Link #168
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

The ending was bittersweet to me I guess:
Spoiler for ending:
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 13:32   Link #169
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Play on hard
There's no point in saying play it on hard, he watched some tosser play it on easy on youtube and that;s all it takes to be an expert on the game.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 14:46   Link #170
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

You shouldn't need to play on Hard to have a good game, though.
Old 2013-06-18, 15:20   Link #171
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The ending was incredible. So much better than the typical ending where

Spoiler:

I really enjoyed the game but I don't think it deserves all the perfect scores it's gotten. It's really far from being perfect. Repetitive gameplay, disappointing horror, slow paced... could have been a lot better. It's fantastic as an interactive movie, but as a video game, not so much. Not sure I'm gonna play new game plus yet. Is there a guide for the collectibles yet? I spent ages exploring yet I somehow managed to miss quite a few of them...
Old 2013-06-18, 16:03   Link #172
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Just beat the game and Slow paced gameplay and somewhat repetitive game play aside I personally thought the experience and story progression of the game as a whole is worth all the near perfect scores it's got.

However due to my being taken aback by the ending and feeling like I was worn out after I finally beat it I think I'm gonna take a break from the game before I go onto new game plus and try to get all the collectibles and supplements.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 16:15   Link #173
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Send a message via Skype™ to Duo Maxwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
You shouldn't need to play on Hard to have a good game, though.
I think you should. They can't just make a game hard on easy mode, because that's just like telling people who don't have enough skill to get out. Frankly, I don't have a problem with that, as I think I can play every game on hard and above, but I can understand the frustrating of not being able to progress because the game is way too hard.

However, I still believe that there are games that need to be played on hard to fully enjoy it. Have you played the original Contra without the 30 lives cheat, and then tried playing it again with that cheat? The only thing it does is lowering the risk of dying, but it makes the game boring. Or the prime example, Valkyrie Profile.
Old 2013-06-18, 18:02   Link #174
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
cough *Sheva*

The good thing about the AI's in this game is that when they got weapons they can hold their own.

Glitches

Opps semi-spoiler on the gameplay

Spoiler for Semi-Spoiler:
Old 2013-06-18, 21:04   Link #175
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

So, Survivor difficulty has turned the game into what I really wanted it to be. EXTREMELY scarce ammo/resources, and No Listen Mode. From what I can tell, the enemies themselves haven't gotten any harder... but with limited amount of stuff I have at my disposal... it usually leads to me taking them all on with a brick...

This difficulty has also taught me the importance of bricks~
Old 2013-06-18, 21:38   Link #176
com_gwp

Spoiler for Spoiler for late-game character:
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-18, 21:48   Link #177
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

^ It's weird, cause I was actually mistaking his vice for Robin Atkin Downes through the whole game~
Old 2013-06-19, 04:40   Link #178
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

My friend and I were talking about the ending. Do you guys think it was right? Also there is said to be a DLC story for Ellie's arc.

Spoiler for DLC:
Old 2013-06-19, 08:06   Link #179
Eclipze

According to some youtube comments,
Spoiler for spoiler:
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 08:37   Link #180
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post