AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-09-03, 02:00   Link #101
Rahan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: France
Saw it yesterday, albeit dubbed. Unfortunately, I don't live in a big city and I would have had to drive 1h30 to catch a screening of the subbed version.
Since I am at it, the french DVD /blu ray should be out for the end of the year, so you guys won't have to wait for the japanese release. English fansub should be available very early 2013.

I didn't like the concept of moe-werewolves (putting them at the same level as "sparkling vampires") but the visuals are stunning. Seeing it on a big screen truly reminded me how much I prefer cartoons / animes over over newer style of animations.

Both kids are rather annoying and their story was kinda cliché and predictable (bar a little twist that doesn't change much really), fortunately, it's less the story of Ame and Yuki than the story of the struggle of their mother although I assume kids would disagree.

Overall, It felt like a good tale for kids, but it lacked substance compared to Hosada's previous works. It's the good old story of how one must find its own path and where he belongs we all have seen many times and nothing more. It's rather funny (kids laughed a lot), but there is absolutely no originality in how it is presented.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 08:59   Link #102
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Btw, for those in Singapore, the opening date is Sept 6 2012.
As mentioned above, the movie premiered in Singapore today. I wasted no time and went straight to the nearest cinema screening it right after work.

In short, I have just three words to say: "I loved it."

I agree with duckroll. This is Mamoru Hosoda's most mature work to date, a worthy addition to his growing portfolio. I loved how it blended together many disparate themes into a coherent yet heartwarming narrative. Yes, the themes are familiar, especially for fans of Ghibli movies, but the story's told from a refreshing new angle and that, in my opinion, more than makes up for it. There are plenty of lessons here for budding storytellers, on how we ought to plot a tale that speaks to the heart while actually saying very little.

You know you're on to something good when it moves you without stumbling into treacly sentimentality, despite the many times it could have done so.

Okami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki is an ode to a lost world, and a paean to a new one. It's also a fitting tribute to parents, especially single mothers in Japan. I highly recommend it. Please buy the DVDs or Blu-rays the first chance you get.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 10:22   Link #103
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Wolf children will be screened in London as part of the BFI festival

Quote:
Thursday October 11th, 12:45PM - Vue West End (Screen 7)

Saturday October 13th, 12:15PM - Vue West End (Screen 7)

Sunday October 14th, 1PM - Rich Mix (Screen 1)
There was also some kind of screening at pixar with Hosoda in attendance which I find to be pretty cool.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 11:35   Link #104
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
What really irks me is I can be at Pixar in 10 minutes, but that screening may as well have been on the moon.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-08, 17:24   Link #105
nojay
Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The screening (subtitled) of Wolf Children in Edinburgh is on Sunday 21st October at 20:40 in the Filmhouse Cinema on Lothian Road. They're also showing the Berserk moves, some Anime Mirai shorts from new producers and artists, Nerawareta Gakuen, Blood C - The Last Dark and a few more -- they've just added the Tiger and Bunny movie to the list. There are some other movies being shown in Glasgow at the Film Theatre, like Tokyo Fish Attack and the K! On movie.

http://www.lovesanimation.com/
__________________

Last edited by nojay; 2012-09-09 at 09:35. Reason: Corrected date of showing
nojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 06:32   Link #106
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Hosada da gawd, lol @ Goro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
My understanding is that Hosoda wrote the manga himself, so I assume it follows pretty closely. I'm tempted to read it, because it seems we won't be seeing the movie in the States until the DVD comes out in Japan.
Good things come to those who wait, also very tempted but I would rather experience it firsthand via the movie.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 06:35   Link #107
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Hosada da gawd, lol @ Goro.
Poor guy. That guy never gets a break


Anyways, I wish this will come sooner because I'm very eager to watch it. From the various reviews and comments I've read it won't be a dissappoint like Shinkai's film.
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 07:29   Link #108
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Aw yeah, this is airing in a cinema in Melbourne next week, definitely going to go watch this. From the 13th to the 26th, maybe even watch it twice.

Feelsgoodman.gif

Also airing Goro and Shinkai's latest (+Berserk), stuff them lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Poor guy. That guy never gets a break
Ghibli's ruin in future will be because of him,
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 07:31   Link #109
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Aw yeah, this is airing in a cinema in Melbourne next week, definitely going to go watch this. From the 13th to the 26th, maybe even watch it twice.

Feelsgoodman.gif
Congrats. It's definitely going to be worth it.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 09:04   Link #110
HosannaExcelsis
Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Ghibli's ruin in future will be because of him,
It's his father's fault first.
HosannaExcelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-10, 06:58   Link #111
Lenneth4
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Dakar
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HosannaExcelsis View Post
It's his father's fault first.
It's miyazaki's father fault ? what ? why ???
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 04:09   Link #112
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ¯\(º_o)/¯
Watched the movie about two days ago as part of the REEL ANIME 2012 film festival going on in Australia right now (13-26 September). Then watched it for a 2nd time yesterday, just cause lol

Loved every single moment of it. So many powerful emotions. The scenes just keep piling it on one by one, all heart-warming and heart-tugging. It's just a really heartful and heartfelt film all around.

Spoiler for thoughts and feelings on film, not sure if spoiler so I'll wrap it anyway:

I still havn't quite gotten over my high for this movie yet, and my goofy Hana grin only ever gets wider as I continue listening to the films OST ^_______________^

EDIT: I still don't see where all the predictability comes into play over the film though... =/
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2012-09-15 at 10:25.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 05:34   Link #113
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
I still don't see where all the predictability comes into play over the film though...
"Cliche", rather than "predictability", may be the better word to use. To quote Rahan:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Both kids are rather annoying and their story was kinda cliche and predictable (bar a little twist that doesn't change much really), fortunately, it's less the story of Ame and Yuki than the story of the struggle of their mother although I assume kids would disagree.
I do see his point. Hana, for example, is the stereotypically virtuous and hardworking mother who willingly sacrifices everything for her children. Contrast her with another mother from 2010's stand-out (though very much more niche) movie, Colorful.
Spoiler for content from the film, Colorful:

Then there's the way everything miraculously turned out right for the main characters because, predictably, no one was quite as mean as they seemed.

Well, in any case, there's so very much more to discuss and reflect upon. Here's hoping that Wolf Children gets a wider release soon, so I don't have to hold back the majority of my thoughts.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 06:54   Link #114
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ¯\(º_o)/¯
^ We'll probably see a big surge in activity once the DVD/BD's come out and fansubs start appearing. Who knows how long that would take though, you might have even forgot most of your thoughts by then too lol Until then, it'll probably just be trickles of activity as the film's road show slowly travels around the globe.

I've yet to see Colorful so I'll have to save that comparison for when I actually do watch it unfortunately enough.

But I guess the happy ending and all's well ends well thing could be taken as a quite cliche.

I disagree with Rahan's notion that it's less of a story about Ame and Yuki though. While film's story does start off focusing on Hana, I feel it slowly shifts and transitions towards the kids by the end.

Spoiler for more details why I think that, but including spoilers:

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention that I found pretty nifty and particularly enjoyed was the subtitle styling in certain parts of the film. Sometimes the subs were actually justified to either the left or right portions of the screen. It didn't occur very often, nor was it very intrusive when it did anyway. I don't know the exact reason why they did it, but I'm sure there must've been a reason why (more efficient use of space perhaps? i.e so you don't have text plastered all over a characters face or it can also help convey which character is speaking too I guess) but to me it shows the person/people responsible for it cared enough to think about these things. So kudos and props to their effort
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.

Last edited by brocko; 2012-09-15 at 07:10.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 06:59   Link #115
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Then there's the way everything miraculously turned out right for the main characters because, predictably, no one was quite as mean as they seemed.
But isn't that what makes it great?Yes,there's real evil people in this world but there's also plenty of nice people as well and I like to see that celebrated.


A few more spoilery thoughts since now I'm not all alone anymore

Spoiler for sohei:


Spoiler for wolf man:



One other character I loved was the old man,this guy steals every scene he's in!Fun trivia:Hosoda said in an interview that his chara design was the result of wondering what Clint Eastwood would look like if he were japanese

Images
judge for yourself
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 07:55   Link #116
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ¯\(º_o)/¯
^ Bwahahahah, that Clint Eastwood side-by-side is killing me. Get off my lawn, you damn city slickers!

I really do enjoy the fact that the film turned out to be rather uplifting. There were many opportunities for things to head really down south, but I think doing so would've been going against the grain of the film and what it was trying to convey. Afterall, Hana practically lives her life based on her father's message.
Spoiler for why Hana's father named her Hana and reply to wolf man:
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 08:30   Link #117
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Spoiler for why Hana's father named her Hana and reply to wolf man:
Spoiler for going a little further:


As for "uplifting"...
Spoiler for conclusions:

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2012-09-15 at 08:45.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 09:52   Link #118
totoum
Me at work
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler for hana:
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 10:15   Link #119
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ¯\(º_o)/¯
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Spoiler for going a little further:
Spoiler for reply:


Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
As for "uplifting"...
Spoiler for conclusions:
Spoiler for reply:


EDIT:
So I see they actually got proper children to voice the child version of Ame and Yuki. No wonder they sounded so genuinely adorable
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-15, 10:27   Link #120
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 33
My take on the ending:

Spoiler:
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.