AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-11-21, 08:45   Link #281
Maya-chan

I'm thinking about writing a review of LOGH so I'm looking for some information about the series. Mostly about the creators, release history, production, initial reception etc. I have checked ANN, Anidb and Wikipedia already but I need some more detailed and reliable information. Reviews, articles, interviews, anything will do. If anyone could help me, I would be very greatful.
Old 2010-11-30, 19:48   Link #282
ragnarokr
The Rare Visitor

Send a message via MSN to ragnarokr
Go to the Myanimelist club. There are people very well informed there.
Old 2010-11-30, 20:22   Link #283
YaminoSeigi

or go to /m/ since the people on that board really like LOGH though you need to know how to ask the question.
Old 2011-02-13, 06:44   Link #284
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I cannot help but to fire up an episode or an excerpt from the novel once every little while. LOGH is a series that only weights on me heavier and heavier with each passing day. The characters are in my humble opinion, archetypes of our reality, and their words almost behavioral references to fall back upon.

If this series gets a re-airing from episode 1, our discussions will be firmly rooted in our present realities and the blood of those that are six feet under. Alas...

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 13:16   Link #285
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
^ It's too good to be re-aired. If the majority finds out there can be such a great show, the shounen sales will go down even further than they already have and this is not what the industry wants right now.

Not that reharshing the same old moe crap works any better...

And anyway, LoGH is technically an OVA series so it has no place on tv.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-13, 15:57   Link #286
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
And anyway, LoGH is technically an OVA series so it has no place on tv.
I agree, though it's been re-aired on TV quite a few times already.
Old 2011-02-13, 16:56   Link #287
roriconfan
Banned

Not in my country. I have no idea it even had in other countries.
Old 2011-02-13, 18:29   Link #288
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Not in my country. I have no idea it even had in other countries.
In Japan obviously.
Old 2011-02-16, 07:01   Link #289
Maya-chan

I'm sure it's been aired on TV in France too.
Old 2011-02-16, 19:17   Link #290
Ithekro
Space Battleship

It is too expensive to get the rights for and then attempt to dub in English in the United States. Way too many episodes...characters...and then to ask for a return on that investment.
Old 2011-02-17, 05:37   Link #291
roriconfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Way too many episodes...characters...and then to ask for a return on that investment.
A proper translation would require a hundred different voice actors (or a dozen really good ones, able to change their voices too well) and dialogues full of weird words that don't repeat baka or he is strong every 5 minutes. Yeah, impossible to imagine...
Old 2011-08-31, 03:35   Link #292
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I'll have more thoughts later but...

I'm not going to be unique here, but LoGH is one of the best animes ever period.

It moved safely into my #2 spot. I'll have to say later when I sort out through my emotions of the ending.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-31, 16:49   Link #293
tyciol
*Artist

Seeing this up top reminds me that I should probably go outside the core 110 and watch all that spiral gaiden labrynth or whatever it was.

BTW guys, I just started watching Rose of Versailles. Am I warped that I now want to see some 34 with Oscar von Reuntal with Lady Oscar? Heck throw in the sesame St one for the lulz.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-21, 21:36   Link #294
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人

This anime deserves an Oskar. Oh wait. It already has one.

Anyway,

I will freely admit that I was extremely apprehensive heading into this anime because I heard it relies on an intellectual connection to the viewer instead of an emotional one, so it was pretty much starting at a disadvantage to begin with from my own biases. Heading into this show I kept my senses on full alert because I've heard time and again that one does not simply walk into Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Well, I've been proven wrong before.

But first, I want to make it clear that this anime is not deep. Oh no. Deep implies a work whose interpretations on its subject is not apparent on the surface, and the thing about Legend of the Galactic Heroes is that it has all the blatancy of a ninja in an orange jumpsuit. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing because it lets the narrative be as straightforward as possible. Which is a good thing, because after the first season things start to get really complicated and it's only to this show's benefit to spell everything out.

What this anime is, instead, is thought-provoking. It frequently delves into discussions on politics, and unlike other anime that can go on and on for psychology and philosophy cred, the musings of Legend of the Galactic Heroes are actually relevant to the plot; whether an autocracy is a good thing because of a once-in-a-lifetime leader like Reinhard, or whether democracy is a bad thing because of hackjobs like Job Truniht, and everything in-between.

Of course, its political statements are only matched by the scale of its story. And Legend of the Galactic Heroes is epic in the proper sense of the word; battles can last for days, conspiracies span multiple star systems, and the personal stories behind major events create the immersion needed to care about what the government should be like. Then again, everything that happens in this story is important.

Do note, that while there are moments in this show that are lighthearted in nature, it never contradicts the overall mood of the series. It always focuses on storytelling first and emotions later, but the matter-of-fact presentation for everything that happens will remind viewers of the inherent vulnerability of any man, and that on its own will be the emotional shock.

In the end, it is quite possibly one of the best anime ever made. And yes, at 110 episodes it's quite long, but once you start watching you'll be hooked. I can almost bet on that. So whether you're with Reinhard von Lohengramm or Yang Wenli, the sea of stars shall guide you through their legend; the Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-26, 21:58   Link #295
lordblazer
Radical Dreamer

I would have to disagree. This series is extremely deep, from an intellectual standpoint. Specifically in my field of expertise. International Relations and political science. In IR theory this show follows the philosophical teachings of Realism. It comes off as extremely well pessimistic. Within Realism the theory pretty much states that there is no governing body more powerful than the nation-state, and each state is out for its own survival in an anarchic international system. The series whole universe in terms of its intl system is unlike ours. In fact it seems ours was just dumped, and we jumped back into the age of enlightenment 17th-18th century. State actors aggregate power, and that power is used for whatever purposes stands.

I can go in depth with this, but it'll get very boring to anyone that isn't in this field.The series writer pretty much threw liberalism and neo-liberalism out the window. It was quite interesting to see how events turned out, but it worked well. Now if you meant the show wasn't deep because it wasn't meta, or that it wasn't thought provoking to the viewer. Well these things kind of depend on which perspective are you referring to. From my perspective of IR theory this show is quite deep though they display terrorism quite well in the show atlas terrorism still isn't as powerful as the state. This was purposely done as I noticed any terrorist attack in the show didn't get much screen time, but I digress. We live in a different world than LOGH. LOGH literally is living it up in the enlightenment age that already passed. While we're in a different period altogether where multinational corporations have well exceeded the powers of the nation-state. With that being said the show is quite deep in that respect, but as you mentioned earlier this show will not hit you from an emotional point of view. Though to be honest this show has a HUGE cast of characters all of which grew on me as the series progressed. With that being said you are right this show can easily have you hooked!!
lordblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-27, 03:46   Link #296
tyciol
*Artist

Seeing this thread reminds me that even though I've seen the 110, there's still the other series like Gaiden and Spiral Labyrinth to see that expand the universe even further. Sort of like how you can read Frank Herbert's Dune sextology and then go read his son's Legends/Preludes.
tyciol is offline   Reply With Quote