AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-07, 13:15   Link #241
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
lmao "hacking."
Don't they say "hijacked" not "hacked"?
__________________

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 22:50   Link #242
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Caladan
Skimmed through ep 4 raw. I like the introduction of the new couple. Looks like main girl may have a rival.
__________________
"I have a dream..."
Grifis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 02:47   Link #243
Pen3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
Skimmed through ep 4 raw. I like the introduction of the new couple. Looks like main girl may have a rival.
New couple? i though those Souda were siblings.
Pen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 15:08   Link #244
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
New couple? i though those Souda were siblings.
Yep, they are siblings.

Spoiler for ep 4:

Eh. I'll keep watching for now, but at this point only because of the supernatural plot and the side charas.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 15:53   Link #245
blakstealth
Cinderella Gang or Die
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Don't they say "hijacked" not "hacked"?
Some one in the article had a quote that said "hacked." But yeah, the pic says hijacking.
__________________
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 00:38   Link #246
Mubyoshi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Hm, first episode was a bit more interesting than I thought it would. Will probably follow this series for a bit. I also find the main girl extremely cute for some reason.
Mubyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 00:49   Link #247
leokiko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
First episode was kinda boring. Very slow. Second half was a a bit more interesting, but not by much.

Will give it a few more episodes.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 04:13   Link #248
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
This series continue to be quite interesting, although I still am quite confuse with so many things. I guess it might be the pacing that some others have mentioned.

Spoilers
Spoiler for Episode 4
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I still love the ending song. It reminds me of another song in the past that seems to have a similar tone, maybe in Fruits Basket.

There is one thing about these type of shows that annoy the heck out of me. That is, the main, nice girl, always have these jackass guys being total jerks and asses to her, but then end up as high potential love suitors. It really digs in and reinforces the concept of Stockholm Syndrome, or loving your abuser. The authors tend to romanticize and make cool guys that abuses and are total a-holes to girls, yet make it popular and acceptable behavior for both sides.

No wonder so many young girls end up in bad relationships. Then again, when you take into account how guys tend to treat their women in Asia, it is not a surprise.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 04:54   Link #249
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
No wonder so many young girls end up in bad relationships. Then again, when you take into account how guys tend to treat their women in Asia, it is not a surprise.
May I ask what do you actually mean by that? Considering that your comment sounds negatively generalizing on us, Asian guys.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 05:03   Link #250
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
This series continue to be quite interesting, although I still am quite confuse with so many things. I guess it might be the pacing that some others have mentioned.

Spoilers
Spoiler for Episode 4
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I still love the ending song. It reminds me of another song in the past that seems to have a similar tone, maybe in Fruits Basket.

There is one thing about these type of shows that annoy the heck out of me. That is, the main, nice girl, always have these jackass guys being total jerks and asses to her, but then end up as high potential love suitors. It really digs in and reinforces the concept of Stockholm Syndrome, or loving your abuser. The authors tend to romanticize and make cool guys that abuses and are total a-holes to girls, yet make it popular and acceptable behavior for both sides.

No wonder so many young girls end up in bad relationships. Then again, when you take into account how guys tend to treat their women in Asia, it is not a surprise.
I get where you're coming from on this, because I've noticed this in a number of romance stories (and not just Asian stuff), but I wouldn't be so quick to point at Asian men. It's offensive to the many nice Asian men out there, and there are plenty of non-Asian men who treat their women like crap.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 05:29   Link #251
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Yeah, I think it's not an "Asian men" thing, the "sweet, innocent, gentle girl meets rough-talking, macho jerk-with-a-well-hidden-heart-of-gold, they fall for each other" thing is a pretty popular trope. Male characters of this archetype are popular in romances because they're alpha males with all the dominant/protective/macho aspects (even their rudeness is supposed to make them kakkoii because ooh, he's proactive, and not afraid to speak his mind and assert himself) and they have the appeal of "taming the beast"... Anyway, I think it's just that anime/manga (and Japanese LNs/YA novels, I suppose) tend to be less inhibited about pandering to basic fantasies than Western entertainment in general.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 05:59   Link #252
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
May I ask what do you actually mean by that? Considering that your comment sounds negatively generalizing on us, Asian guys.
In general, it is a culture thing in Asia. Women are not regarded highly. My Japanese female friends told me that it was very common for guys to be on a date with his girlfriend, but would tell the girl to go home on her own so that he could go into those hostess bars. Cheating on women is common in countries such as Korea, Vietnam, Japan, Taiwan, and China, as it is no big deal for the guys. I can't vouch for the other Asian countries, since I don't know many people from the other countries, but as far as the countries I've mentioned, it is what I know from friends and relatives I talk to from there.

Back to Japan, the Health Minister made a huge mistake during the mid-2000's by calling women as "birthing machines". It was in response to the low birth rate of the country, and his desire to have women bear more children. It ended up offending women and having the opposite effect, however.

Traditional families would raise their girls to be essentially house servants in the family. The girl needs to cook, clean, and do whatever the men say. Men are not allowed in the kitchen. Men should be allowed to rest, watch TV, and go out with their friends., while the women serve them.

Of course, it is also the responsibility of the women to do what they believe is fair and right, but culturally, things get muddled and certain things are accepted as the norm.

Also, this is not as bad as other cultures and countries around the world, but it still is not ideal either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
I get where you're coming from on this, because I've noticed this in a number of romance stories (and not just Asian stuff), but I wouldn't be so quick to point at Asian men. It's offensive to the many nice Asian men out there, and there are plenty of non-Asian men who treat their women like crap.
Very true that it is not only limited to Asian men. Also, I agree that there are many nice Asian men out there. However, my point was that it is a cultural norm to accept these types of behaviors. I'm Asian myself, but culturally raised in the USA, and I still see some of these Asian cultural behaviors from a lot of people I know from different Asian backgrounds. A lot of these guys are not bad guys; however, they do what they do because culturally, it is acceptable. And again, women accept these types of behaviors because it is culturally ingrained in them. These stories tend to boost these troupes, which furthers these problems.

Actually, you are very right that a lot of fiction for the young nowadays make these actions acceptable (regardless of Asian or non-Asian), all in the name of romance, cool, and exciting.

Oh, and I'm not going to get into what has happened in India. Those are extreme examples, and I'll probably go on for too long talking about it.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 06:13   Link #253
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
@thundrakkon: Not only is what you said incredibly racist and generalist, it's also the biggest load of bullshit I've heard. Common for a person whos dating his girlfriend to ditch her to go to a hostess bar? Girls being house servants when in reality workplace participation for women has been the highest ever in history? Men prohibited from the kitchen? What kind of backward medieval thinking is this?

Yes, it's true that Asia in general is somewhat behind when it comes to "gender equality" compared to Western society, but hell, what you're saying is like as if Asian women still live like they were in the 1800s.

Just... Stop...
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 06:18   Link #254
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Cheating on women is common in countries such as Korea, Vietnam, Japan, Taiwan, and China, as it is no big deal for the guys.
This is just a traditional male-centric mindset that's present in most places, though. Men are allowed to cheat on their girlfriends/wives because oh, they're men, they can't help themselves, and anyway they have the right to do whatever they want by virtue of being male. I live in Europe and you wouldn't believe the number of times I heard this from women(!) - mostly older, conservative women, but I've heard some young women saying they would forgive their boyfriend/husband cheating on them because "it's different for men." :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Back to Japan, the Health Minister made a huge mistake during the mid-2000's by calling women as "birthing machines". It was in response to the low birth rate of the country, and his desire to have women bear more children. It ended up offending women and having the opposite effect, however.
Ha! Only a few months ago our ultraconservative and backwards government (I didn't vote for them, btw) refused to pass a bill that would've made domestic violence punishable by law. One of their MPs went on record saying that women should have at least 2-3 babies before they worry about "emancipation and self-fulfillment," also this would make men respect them more and there would be no domestic violence.

Yep.

Anyway, this is getting very off-topic, but what you're describing is a sort of ultra-traditional, sexist attitude that's present everywhere in the world, but it's not like it's still the prevailing general attitude. It's just that many people (usually men) still cling to it.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 06:18   Link #255
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
I understand it can be hard to tell Asians apart, as there's too many of them, are too busy getting high scores on exams, and driving poorly because their shape of eyes prevents them from seeing as well (this is why anime eyes are so large), and they're too busy collecting American debt while spitting on the street and hiding their 12 relatives in the basement,but really here but Asian covers nearly half the world's population and having such a large group being generalized tends to not work well. Yes, there's many instances of sexim and attrocities but often times it's an issue of class and simply not just being as well educated and thus less progressive on gender roles. Indeed, when you look at countries in the Middle East, you see this shit even more.

And yes, Asians are not just East Asians, damn it.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 06:22   Link #256
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
@thundrakkon: Not only is what you incredibly racist and generalist, it's also the biggest load of bullshit I've heard. Common for a person whos dating his girlfriend to ditch her to go to a hostess bar? Girls being house servants when in reality workplace participation for women has been the highest ever in history? Men prohibited from the kitchen? What kind of backward medieval thinking is this?

Yes, it's true that Asia in general is somewhat behind when it comes to "gender equality" compared to Western society, but hell, what you're saying is like as if Asian women still live like they were in the 1800s.

Just... Stop...
Woah there... I'm telling you what I am currently seeing with my own eyes, people I know doing these things, and actual people living in those countries telling me this. When I went to Tokyo in 2007, my Japanese friends (females) were telling me about the hostess thing. I was very shocked and found it hard to believe as well, but I'll take their word for it. Afterall, they do live and grow up there.

As for women serving men in the house... umm... that's first hand seeing it for myself, even happening here in the USA with Asian families. In addition, when I talk with my friends in Asia, that is pretty much accepted as normal and how many households do that.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Anyway, this is getting very off-topic, but what you're describing is a sort of ultra-traditional, sexist attitude that's present everywhere in the world, but it's not like it's still the prevailing general attitude. It's just that many people (usually men) still cling to it.
I do agree that it is prevalent in the world, and it is beginning to get off-topic. My point was the decision by the author to portray certain actions as desirable is influencing perspective on things that usually is not as desirable.
__________________

Last edited by thundrakkon; 2013-04-09 at 06:28. Reason: Replies
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 06:25   Link #257
Pocari_Sweat
Basketball > Chickens
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Woah there... I'm telling you what I am currently seeing with my own eyes, people I know doing these things, and actual people living in those countries telling me this. When I went to Tokyo in 2007, my Japanese friends (females) were telling me about the hostess thing. I was very shocked and found it hard to believe as well, but I'll take their word for it. Afterall, they do live and grow up there.

As for women serving men in the house... umm... that's first hand seeing it for myself, even happening here in the USA with Asian families. In addition, when I talk with my friends in Asia, that is pretty much accepted as normal and how many households do that.
And I'm a full blooded Korean who was raised by "traditional" Korean parents. Your point?
__________________
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 06:28   Link #258
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrakkon View Post
Woah there... I'm telling you what I am currently seeing with my own eyes, people I know doing these things, and actual people living in those countries telling me this. When I went to Tokyo in 2007, my Japanese friends (females) were telling me about the hostess thing. I was very shocked and found it hard to believe as well, but I'll take their word for it. Afterall, they do live and grow up there.

As for women serving men in the house... umm... that's first hand seeing it for myself, even happening here in the USA with Asian families. In addition, when I talk with my friends in Asia, that is pretty much accepted as normal and how many households do that.
If I were new to the site and came across this thread first, would it be okay for me to assume that everyone on Animesuki likes to make glaring generalizations without context? Oh, but I have word from other people that they are like that.

I am seeing it with my own eyes, after all.

Pro Tip: Don't make wide statements with ancedotes.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 06:56   Link #259
thundrakkon
Fly Away into the Night
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
And I'm a full blooded Korean who was raised by "traditional" Korean parents. Your point?
And I'm sure they raised you well. I have a lot of Korean friends, and there are a lot of Korean business men from Korea that I know go to other Asian countries on "business". And this thread is not really meant to talk about the intricacies of Korean culture, so I'll stop right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
If I were new to the site and came across this thread first, would it be okay for me to assume that everyone on Animesuki likes to make glaring generalizations without context? Oh, but I have word from other people that they are like that.

I am seeing it with my own eyes, after all.

Pro Tip: Don't make wide statements with ancedotes.
You are right. I do tend to try to make generalization in order to not target anyone or any country in particular, but it does have the unfortunate effect of offending certain people. If you really want to read the whole story, here it goes:

TL;DR…
 
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

But true, not every household and family in Asia is like this. Everyone is different. I tried to minimize offending people by trying to be general, but I guess it had the opposite effect this time. I guess I should just stick with Japanese print media next time.
__________________
thundrakkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 07:03   Link #260
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Being totally ebillll
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Generalizations generally have an element of truth to them. But it's hard to distinguish an element of reality from the whole thing, and it can explode really easily when done improperly. Though I would say this won't be the first or last time this happens-- it's just how people are.

And back to your regularly scheduled program.
__________________
You just try again... through the darkness.You just go away... the future is waiting for us!
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fantasy, school life, seinen, shoujo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.