AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2012-04-08, 21:07   Link #221
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I liked it.

I've decided to treat the drool thing as symbolic. Symbolizing... something. Some kind of connection between the two.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 21:21   Link #222
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I've decided to treat the drool thing as symbolic. Symbolizing... something. Some kind of connection between the two.
That's pretty much how I'm going to justify it.

The show itself seems so good, and Urabe's joygasm expectoration is cute in concept, but lord is it gross in practice. But if it means I can see a good young romance, as people keep saying this is, I'll muscle through the "capital o, underscore, lowercase o" of it all.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 21:28   Link #223
Texas84
よろしく

Wow, I LOVE this. The drooling aside, it's just so, well, normal. The old school character design takes me back, the backgrounds are well-done, the school and uniforms overwhelmingly normal. Sometimes I just get tired of the outlandish uniforms and hair styles. Her voice seems a little mature to me but there is something about it that makes me interested in her. Can't wait for next week!
Texas84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-08, 22:05   Link #224
GrimJack

I was surprised by the number of spoilers in the closing credits but I imagine only people like me who have read the manga since the beginning would have caught.

still I quite enjoyed it
Old 2012-04-08, 23:08   Link #225
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I liked it.

Apparently, the author of the manga said that he envisioned this as a giant robot series - where the girl is the giant robot. Sort of a symbolic look at the way 16 year-old boys view girls.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 00:16   Link #226
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

I wonder what couples do when they kiss each other in the lips...

Spoiler for Author's thesis:
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 00:57   Link #227
HandofFate

Akira's voice fits him nicely. Urabe's voice surprised me though, a lot softer than I expected. Not bad, just was surprised to hear the lines come out that way.

The drool part still grosses me out though. And I'm fine with 'watersports' in h-doujins. You can make up a bunch of different ways to justify it so its not so gross, but meh. Just have to ignore it or turn away whenever an 'exchange' happens.
Old 2012-04-09, 01:10   Link #228
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Glad this got an anime, now maybe it'll finally go somewhere, unlike the manga. Like the voices of the leads too, though Urabe's VA sounds a bit uneven sometimes.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 01:52   Link #229
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Don't think I've ever felt such equal parts repulsion and attraction before...Must be the old perverse sense of curiosity kicking in. Something about that episode felt so off in so many places yet still oddly intriguing much like the shows heroine herself...An odd sensation to be sure.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 02:43   Link #230
Echoes

I'm largely in agreement with those who have already voiced the opinion "awesome, except the drool."

It's something I can easily look past when the rest of the package is this comeplling, and I don't find it out-right repulsive, it's more of a mild sense of "yuckiness." Don't know which direction to expect this to go, but I'm eager to find out.

The art-style is wonderfully old-school and eerily appealing. The music was really solid; it's not often that music makes an impact on me in the first episode, but this time it really accentuated the mood. Speaking of which, I loved the (yeah, go figure with this title, right) air of mystery to the show. It's intriguing, and I only hope they can deliver a nice pay-off now that they've successfully set the mood and built expectations.
Old 2012-04-09, 04:50   Link #231
Solafighter
Hige

I like the voice for Urabe. Something new, i have never heard before. They use a lot more drool, than in the manga. That makes it look more naughty.

I like the manga and will certainly like the anime, too.
Old 2012-04-09, 05:53   Link #232
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
I like the voice for Urabe. Something new, i have never heard before. They use a lot more drool, than in the manga. That makes it look more naughty.

I like the manga and will certainly like the anime, too.
She came buckets.

From her mouth.

Quite literally.

Urabe is <3.

Didn't actually think the opener would come out as great as I thought, though I did have high expectations for the adaptation and it was very well met.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 06:07   Link #233
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Good first episode. Here's hoping that they just pick the best parts of the manga and don't adapt its (for my taste, too slow) plot 1:1. I'm even hoping for an anime original ending.

For the people who get a bit grossed out by the drool thing: Don't worry, you'll get used to it eventually
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 06:18   Link #234
MasterVampire

Nice. At the end of the first episode and she is his girlfriend.

I hate it how in some anime it takes the whole series for the couple to finally get togeather.
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 06:42   Link #235
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
For some reason Urabe give me Rei Ayanami vibes. Especially during her introduction.

Not that she came across as a Rei Clone or anything- but just somehow she made me think of Rei, the real Rei Ayanami, not the exaggerated version most people think of. Maybe it was the sense of mystery combined with bluntness and social awkwardness.

Just from an art style sense she makes me think of a cross between Ranma's girl form and Rei.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 10:11   Link #236
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

I've been reading this manga for three years(now four)....but I will admit I feel slightly awkward watching it as an anime. The animation seems to have magnified the weirdness. I'll be watching though.

Love the late 90s feel that the animation gives.
karinvampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 10:59   Link #237
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Finally got around to watching the episode (I'm so far being on anime, it's ridiculous... going to spend the next few days catching up on like 50 episodes ><). It was very faithful to the original 1st chapter, though Urabe seems a bit more outgoing than I pictured her. I still really enjoyed it, though.
Old 2012-04-09, 11:13   Link #238
frubam
singing heartbreak

Send a message via AIM to frubam
I thought this 1st ep came out much better than I anticipated. I really like that quirky music that they used as it really fits the aura of what their relationship is going to be.

I'm surprised a number of people are opposed to the drool thing. Sure it's unsanitary, but does that really matter in a world(i.e. anime) where pedobears exist, incest is running rampant, and 15 yr old girls will kill anyone for their boyfriend (O.o)?

Gotta get used to hearing Urabe's voice though. You can easily tell she's a newbie =03.

Next episode: PANTY SCISSORS X03! That is all.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 11:41   Link #239
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I don't think many people are opposed to the drool thing on moral grounds - it's just that it's really gross. I find is disgusting myself, just I adored the first ep - go figure. I hope it's not a deal-breaker for too many potential viewers.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-09, 11:59   Link #240
konart

Send a message via Skype™ to konart
You actually get used to it. Gross, yet so newtype...

Tags
romance, seinen