AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-04-05, 14:48   Link #21
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobu_Maehara
I like Shinobu as a character, not in THAT way.
But eeeehm, don't tell anyone....she's a cartoon....
*start sarcasm here*

That's good, tell that to your dad. I'm sure he'll listen

*end sarcasm here*

In Remembrance - Founder of Sladism / Slade's Photobucket
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 14:49   Link #22
baka
Apathy

Send a message via AIM to baka
im 22 and everytime my mother comes over to see that im keeping my new place in order shes like everytime i come over you're watching cartoons its just like :fingers:
you know where the door is
Old 2004-04-05, 14:53   Link #23
Joe Dalton

I agree living in the netherlands is not good anime wise....
About 1 in 30 watches anime in The netherlands I think... if that
Anyway altohugh I agree FMA is the best anime ATM I dont think it will help... rather go with cowboy bebop.
But like I said just watch anime. talk about it with others that watch anime and leave people that dont know anime like they are
The trouble is most people in the netherlands like you said think its just bloody cartoons.... I have a friend thats like that..... and naturaly he is also a naruto fan
He thinks stuff like ninja scroll is heavinly bliss and stuff with a storyline in it is boring 2 him...
So I told him about naruto and he loves it just like he loved DBZ
Anyway I try not 2 talk 2 him about anime since it anoys me.... Also I try not 2 talk about RPG's with him... he got into FF since its a grapics game.... The quote... this game would be so good if only they took out the parts where they are talking and the story.... it haunts me 2 this day
Old 2004-04-05, 15:13   Link #24
Slade xTekno
Tekkaman Blade!

My parents don't mind me watching anime [then again, I'm Asian].
I don't have any anime wall scrolls, posters, figures, T-shirts, etc. [except for an old plush Pikachu]. People know I watch anime due to the fact I sometimes have a sketchbook with me and discuss it often, but they don't really mind. Plus, we have a sizeable anime club.
Maybe I should get more anime merchandise...
Old 2004-04-05, 15:44   Link #25
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I get unpleasant remarks for watching anime from my dad too ... but I thought about it I realized I get it for watching anything on the computer(WillandGrace, Family Guy, Movies). It's what he calls 'unproductive behavior'.
There is a little known provision in the Forum Rules that explicitly allows a moderator to remove any signature image that they believe to be inappropriate for any reason. I have saved this image into my "WTF directory" just in case I ever wonder if it was only been a bad dream, and have removed it from the forum. Hopefully Lexander will never do this again!
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 16:52   Link #26
Ketsu-Kun
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Ketsu-Kun Send a message via MSN to Ketsu-Kun
I don't have a dad, so I'm lucky in that respect. My mom doesn't really care that I watch Anime, you should have seen how many DVD's I got for my birthday, plus a set of nice posters and wallscrolls.. all Anime Girls.

Enter my room and to your right you have Mizuho in a Bikini, the famous Ghost in the Scroll poster and a nice wallscroll of Magical Shopping Arcade Abeneboshi, Mune Mune to be precise.. in a ripped bikini. ^_^

My mom however seemed to have got addicted to DBZ when I was younger, which I find pretty funny.

My friends at College like Anime for the most part, I'm having an Anime Marathon with a bunch of them tomorrow.. not all male as well. :P

People at my College in general know I'm an Anime fan, I've got a custom made hoody with Isuzu Ayane from Gatekeepers 21 on the front of it, the back pretty much just shows a cool gate effect. ^_^ - Viva la' hoody!

Added Note: Older Shinobu is cuter then younger Shinobu, take the ending of the Manga for instance. :P!
Ketsu-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 19:05   Link #27
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobu_Maehara
That's what my parents think. My dad doesn't understand what a 21 year old guy needs with a huge Azumanga Daioh Poster in his room.
To add to the confusion I have a alot of Anime posters, scrolls, figurines etc.

My dad claims that most characters are little girls and are supposed to be for little girls... O.o
So actually he says that my posters are not for guys at all.

I also have some Hellsing things, and that he understands because Alucard is a cool guy, a man and not a young girl...
I tried to explain the whole thing, but don't know how, because he says people might think I'm a pedophile or something.

I know I'm not, and I'm just an Anime nutcase.
How on earth can you explain you parents that being an Anime fan is just not for little kids only.

They think I should only have naked pictures of women and aggressive military stereotype guys in my posters...

Do you have the same problem? And how do you deal with it? Any tips?

Well, all the walls in my flat are plastered with posters, wallscrolls and whatnot, there's not a single free spot at all and whenever one of my relatives or a friend happens to visit me, they all go like "WTF????!!!" but at the same time they can't get their eyes of any of the images^^ BTW i have this really nice satoshi urushihara full frontal bliss poster of ragnarok city on the wall behind my monitor and right above it and THAT one is just about enough of an positive argument for ANY male visitor so far ( and most of the female visitors as well )
Old 2004-04-05, 21:53   Link #28
Velg
The Jackal

my parents seem to think that anime is a "phase" and that in a few years i wont care about it anymore. i think they finally understood that its not a phase when i ended up yelling at my dad that no one respects anything i do, whether its watch anime or work on my website. seems to have worked for now anyway. i do remember in middle school, my mom caught about 10 minutes of DBZ on cartoon network, and automatically put all anime in the same boat. bad dubs, pointless plots, etc. wont even give anything thats remotely good a chance. but im i freshman in college now, and ive seen some improvement. i did get Armitage Duel Matrix for Christmas last year, so i think its sinking in.

Click the banner to visit the Where's My Anime site.
Velg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 22:36   Link #29
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
My parents don't really care that I watch cartoons. (Cuz I watch more than just anime). Been doing it since I was little without fail. I don't think it ever really bothered them though, so no getting used to it or anything. They probably don't care, cuz they're worse vices I could have. I don't do heroin, knock up chicks, steal candy from babies or assasinate political figures, so if I watch some cartoons it's ok in their book.
Vulkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 22:56   Link #30
Slade
Coordinated Insanity

Send a message via AIM to Slade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkar
I don't do heroin, knock up chicks, steal candy from babies or assasinate political figures, so if I watch some cartoons it's ok in their book.
Dude! You're totally missing out!! I mean...if you can't kill political figures in a massive masterplan high on heroin while stealing a lolipop from a baby all in the middle of knocking up a "HAWT CHICK", what's the point of life o_O;;?

Humm.. I was just kidding but...

*takes out his to do list*

This one's going right under world domination... hahaa....Hahahahah... MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

In Remembrance - Founder of Sladism / Slade's Photobucket
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-05, 23:46   Link #31
Sugetsu
Kurumada's lost child

I don't wanna be rude or mean or anything, but look at this @_@

That is something that I found in the desktop thread, and I think that it is a little too much of a preference for little girls @@;; Or perhaps this guy is like 14 years old and therefore it would be normal for him to look at little girls in a sexual way @_@

I reapeat NO INTENT OF OFFENSE!
Old 2004-04-06, 00:38   Link #32
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

my parents dont really care that i watch anime. My dad makes fun of me when i watch saturday morning cartoons (lol, it's only when i have nothing to do) He would often say "arent u too old to be watching anime?" but other times he would say something like "dont watch 'R-rated' anime!" (my dad associates everything with the movie rating)

my dad reads korean manga online often, and i even caught my mom reading it... wats funnier is that she had to ask me for help in using the mouse. They both read the manga in newspapers. (the ones in korean newspaper dont look like a garfield cartoon)
Old 2004-04-06, 01:23   Link #33
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugetsu
I don't wanna be rude or mean or anything, but look at this @_@

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/RichManDash/desktop1.jpg

That is something that I found in the desktop thread, and I think that it is a little too much of a preference for little girls @@;; Or perhaps this guy is like 14 years old and therefore it would be normal for him to look at little girls in a sexual way @_@

I reapeat NO INTENT OF OFFENSE!
You should definitly visit 4chan Sugetsu, it would be damn funny
Old 2004-04-06, 01:44   Link #34
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
Indeed, I'd like to see what he'd do if he went to the /y/ board and saw a picture of bridget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboo
as I was rushing out the house excited to go get my Fruits Basket Manga.
*GASPAGE* Didn't you learn from my last thread that, that will make you a pedophile?
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 02:29   Link #35
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
In my opinion that desktop picture is just cute.

I'm not sexually attracted to girls her age I mean get real....

Anyway, I think I just see them as cute. a 12 year old might think they look hot and sexy, But I'm a little older now so I have a naked picture of Naru

That's much better. If you look through fashion magazines you also see either grown people and children posing in the latest underwear.... If it were wrong wouldn't it be illegal? O.o besides these are just cartoons and send out that "cuteness" a real picture of a girl in underwear like I see a lot in those fashion ads aren't cute at all..

I mean, a kid dressed in underwear.. big deal.

As for parents.. looking at that desktop you mom or dad might get the wrong idea about you, 12 years old or 20 years old doesn't matter... People are easely set in the wrong idea O.o

Although sexual hentai pictures of a little girl are not funny at all. because those ARE meant for pervert purposes.

A friend of mine once wore a light pink shirt, and my parents thought he was gay, which he absolutely isn't.
Old 2004-04-06, 03:35   Link #36
Shinobu_Maehara
eternal Shinobu lover

Send a message via ICQ to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via AIM to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via MSN to Shinobu_Maehara Send a message via Yahoo to Shinobu_Maehara
Everybody kept wondering why a 21 year old lives still at home.
first I'm actually on my own, I pay for roomcosts, food, stuff, internet etc. I just didn't have any use for my own house which is more expensive than just my room, which is all I need. So why would it be weird to live at home?

My mom watches Sailor Moon once in a while.... in Dutch O.o which is plain scary.
Yet my dad loves Tex Avery cartoons.. He doesn't understand the "little girls"
I let him know that MOST anime have little girls as main characters, or just women in general.

BTW I already have a good way to tell them the why's and how's

First the Anime I watch is in Japanese with English subtitles.
Since I'm neither Japanese or English I ALSO use it for education.
I want to learn Japanese little by little. and at this rate it works

secondly I do NOT feel sexually attracted to little Anime girls.
and CERTAINLY NOT human girls >.<

Luckely my dad doesn't assume that.
He just thinks my room looks "girly" because of all the Anime posters and scrolls.
Because in his opinion Anime which doesn't show violence is for little kids.

I made some pictures of my room yesterday while chatting with somebody, so here.
Judge for yourself. ( And yes my room is a mess. leave me alone )

computer desk
drawing table. I need to clean my room.

So there...
Old 2004-04-06, 04:30   Link #37
TronDD
Team the box!

Doesn't look as bad as you made it sound. I was expecting to not be able to see the paint on the walls.

Tip: Dude, get a KVM switch and free up all kinds of desk space.
Old 2004-04-06, 04:53   Link #38
Kerensky18
?Sleep?

Send a message via MSN to Kerensky18
My friends dad makes fun of the anime my friend and I watch and now hes threatening to join us at the con as Speedracer wich is the only anime he like and I think that would be cool... My parents just make fun of the voices when I used to live with them and kept asking why do watch it if you cant even understand what they are saying.. :-)
Kerensky18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-04-06, 05:02   Link #39
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thany
Yes Sugetsu visit 4chan and go to the /u/ section ^_^

My parents know I watch anime. They dont care. My friends know I watch anime. Most dont care. I never talk about anime to any of my friends so thats why I come here ^^ *even though i still dont post that much on it i mostly read >_>*
Old 2004-04-06, 05:08   Link #40
Thany
Unfair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
Yes Sugetsu visit 4chan and go to the /u/ section ^_^

My parents know I watch anime. They dont care. My friends know I watch anime. Most dont care. I never talk about anime to any of my friends so thats why I come here ^^ *even though i still dont post that much on it i mostly read >_>*
He should go to /c/ I'm sure he would flame buki buki and get banned by moot

Tags
parents