AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Old 2013-08-11, 09:45   Link #1181
Utsuro no Hako

I'm not sure how I feel about the time-skip. On the one hand, the series is often slow as molasses and anything that gets us closer to Mutta being is space is a welcome move, but it seems strange we spent so much time on the application process when the training should be even more interesting -- the Vomit Comet, centrifuge training, the multi-axis-rotation thingy. Plus we don't get to see the relationship between Mutta and Vince evolve.

Oh, and it's been eighteen months but Mutta still hasn't made a move on Serika?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Just out of curiosity, instead of an ape, what animal would you guys have chosen to represent Buddy?
Rhinoceros. If they wanted a gorilla, it should've been Freddy.

This episode makes me dread the day when Terra Formars gets an adaptation.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-11, 09:57   Link #1182
hamazura
Huskar is for NOOBS

its better if they not do timeskip and fill it with moar interesting training and some stuff :3

terra formars lol, i thought its black caveman insulting black people, but its actually homo sapiens + crokoach
Old 2013-08-17, 10:17   Link #1183
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Serika is one step closer to her dream thanks to Mutta. He did good. Unfortunately, it will be harder for him to reach space now, but not all hope is lost. I'm sure he's going to come up with an idea for the buggy that will blow everybody's minds.
Old 2013-08-17, 13:02   Link #1184
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot

There's no need for Mutta to ever mention to Serika that he helped her get the ISS assignment, but at the same time... dude, ask her on a date or something.

I would think that NOT DRIVING INTO RAVINES would be the easiest way of dealing with the problem of designing a rover that will survive falling into a ravine. Or that's an extension of "a rover that won't fall into a ravine."

It was noted elsewhere that the character designs for the buggy engineers are the Ghostbusters.

And finally... I suppose we're going to be stuck with the Hibbit show from now on. More content! Less filler!
Old 2013-08-17, 13:26   Link #1185
Dop
We can't stop here...

I did think that the engineer that kept going on about how they never get any girls there kind of looked like Bill Murray...!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 13:41   Link #1186
ookamigirl

Mutta sure had to make a hard choice.
It's always difficult to choose between a great opportunity and the thing you really want.
Maybe he was being too selfish this time...
Any other astronaut would be happy to get a chance like that.
Guess all is well that ends well ^^ at least for Serika.
Mutty might have gotten himself in a tough spot with his decision.

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 16:16   Link #1187
cyth
ふひひ

So, any ideas how Mutta will go about hacking the buggy? I first thought of making a lunar GPS that would guide the buggy to avoid certain places. But that can be expensive.

Would Mutta even design a buggy that doesn't fall? Or would he rather make a buggy that doesn't break when falling into a ravine? The crazier idea to pursue is probably the latter one.
Old 2013-08-17, 16:28   Link #1188
Uribatake

They really went and made The Inadvertently Racist Adventures of Mr. Hibbit a regular feature on the show. I wonder if it's a way to cover less source material per episode and keep the anime from catching up with the manga.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 16:41   Link #1189
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uribatake View Post
They really went and made The Inadvertently Racist Adventures of Mr. Hibbit a regular feature on the show. I wonder if it's a way to cover less source material per episode and keep the anime from catching up with the manga.
Umm.. actually, the manga is still far ahead with Volume 22 of the manga out. This episode has only reached the start of Volume 14 of the manga. There's a long way to go.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 18:50   Link #1190
TrueDevil
Not from this world

Its cool that Mutta left the back up spot for Serika so she can get closer to her dream.
Now that he is in the engineering department he can show his skill as former engineer and maybe get also closer to his goals.
I think he either try to extend the axis so the buggy wont tilt or he will try to increase the friction of the wheels or the buggy to stick to the ground maybe using low pressure.
TrueDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 20:25   Link #1191
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uribatake View Post
Inadvertently?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 22:03   Link #1192
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDevil View Post
Its cool that Mutta left the back up spot for Serika so she can get closer to her dream.
Now that he is in the engineering department he can show his skill as former engineer and maybe get also closer to his goals.
I think he either try to extend the axis so the buggy wont tilt or he will try to increase the friction of the wheels or the buggy to stick to the ground maybe using low pressure.
I don't think either of those will do much good when an astronaut drives the thing over a cliff.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 22:06   Link #1193
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Mutta better get together with Serika after what he just did for her! Wow. He really is a standup guy...

Otherwise, meh episode...I smell another arc coming where Mutta impresses people out of his butt. I was glad to see Vince give him some good advice though.

and lol at the one who kept whining about no girls around...
Old 2013-08-18, 01:16   Link #1194
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Inadvertently?
So are you implying that when Chuya Koyama decided to depict Buddy as a gorilla, he was fully aware of the racial implications but decided to do it anyway? Because if he wasn't being inadvertently racist, he would have to be intentionally racist. (Chapter 128 of the manga, page 4.)

Last edited by Upscaled; 2013-08-18 at 01:40.
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 01:52   Link #1195
hamazura
Huskar is for NOOBS

18 month stuck in making unfallable buggy?
use GPS! have no moon map? GPS! use GPS to collect moon map and use GPS again to not falling after collecting the map.
why i can solve this 18 month problem just within 10 second? -_-
Old 2013-08-18, 02:16   Link #1196
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upscaled View Post
So are you implying that when Chuya Koyama decided to depict Buddy as a gorilla, he was fully aware of the racial implications but decided to do it anyway? Because if he wasn't being inadvertently racist, he would have to be intentionally racist. (Chapter 128 of the manga, page 4.)
Yeah it was so racist! And he depicted Hibito as bunny (that bastard) and chief as eagl ( or maybe it was vulture? Whatever it's both scavengers so who care) Doesn't he realise all implication or what?

I am so cool I stand rightfuly on side opressed minorities, now I am going chain myself to some trees to protect nature.
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 02:32   Link #1197
Upscaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Yeah it was so racist! And he depicted Hibito as bunny (that bastard) and chief as eagl ( or maybe it was vulture? Whatever it's both scavengers so who care) Doesn't he realise all implication or what?

I am so cool I stand rightfuly on side opressed minorities, now I am going chain myself to some trees to protect nature.
That's an eagle, I believe. I bet they have a checklist of animal stereotypes and they're going to go right down that list, one-by-one.

[conjecture]In all seriousness, I think Koyama, who started it, (and the anime production team that decided to make this a weekly feature,) were all blissfully unaware of the racial connotation. Koyama probably thought that a gorilla, evoking a gentle and strong image, (unlike those nasty, cannibalistic chimpanzees,) was a perfect fit for Buddy. Dark skin too! It matches! And that American movie that came out a few years back, based on the book by William Joyce. That gorilla was named Buddy! Perfect! Must be fate. Let's go with it. [/conjecture]

That's probably how this happened. Koyama would probably be horrified when someone informs him about how this looks to many in the west.
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 03:18   Link #1198
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's giving Koyama a lot of credit. I'd like to believe it's true, who knows. But to anyone who knows even a minute amount about Western culture (as Koyama seems to, to be fair) would likely know, the depiction of of a man of African descent as a gorilla has an extensive and ugly history of racist connotations. To call it inflammatory and insensitive would be an understatement of galactic proportions.

Anyone who tries to write this off as P.C. grumbling is completely missing the boat. The most charitable interpretation is that Koyama and everyone involved at A-1 is unaware of this well-known racial stereotype, which would in itself play into the stereotype of the Japanese as incredibly insensitive about racial issues (one I'd rather not believe, in truth). Any way you slice it, everyone involved comes off looking a whole lot worse.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 06:43   Link #1199
bastek66
Banned

Space Busters... Why I didn't notice that reference earlier.
bastek66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 06:44   Link #1200
Kirarakim

The Mr Hibbit segment is awful . Thankfully it is at the end and be skipped with no problem.

Tags
science fiction, seinen