AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-11-09, 16:29   Link #1381
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Interesting to see Mutta and Kenji pitted against each other without their knowledge. Not that it would change anything if they knew, they would still do their best and support each other. Sorry Kenji, but I'm rooting for Mutta.
A tough situation. Though certainly they will be a good team. Just too bad only one gets to go to the moon. Though I'm confident that Kenji will get to space sooner or later. Right now the pressure is on Mutta to get there in time to help build Sharon's telescope.

Would like them both in space at the same time of course , even though from this situation that appears impossible.

Good luck to Hibito on this continued recovery. Hopefully can get through this in time.
Old 2013-11-09, 18:42   Link #1382
hamazura
Eugeo Fangay

ngg... iirc when mutta and kenji first met, they said they're 27 right? now they're 34 o_o
Old 2013-11-09, 19:58   Link #1383
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
ngg... iirc when mutta and kenji first met, they said they're 27 right? now they're 34 o_o
No, Mutta was 30 when the show started, and Kenji was presumably a couple of years older than that.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 23:17   Link #1384
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Also, the maximum height for a NASA astronaut is 6 foot 3 inches (190 cm). That "monster" must be pushing the limit.
The top of Mutta's head, even discounting the afro, came well above the monster's chin. As someone who' 6'4, I can tell you Mutta would have to be about 5'10 to stand that tall next to me. If he's closer to the Japanese average of 5'7, the monster should be within NASA limits.

Which would make it pretty strange for people to be acting like he's an ungainly freak. I mean, I'm tall enough that people comment on it and I have trouble fitting into small cars, but it's not like people call me a monster. (I'm going to assume the sea lab has low bulkheads, because it'd be absurd for the guy to be smacking his head otherwise.)
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 02:28   Link #1385
BBOvenGuy
Author-type person

I don't know anything about barracudas, but you may recall that "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin was killed by a stingray. It was described as a freak accident, but it did happen.

And by the way, NEEMO is a real thing, even in this day and age. NASA even has a mission page for it. I heard about it during last year's mission because its crew included Steve Squyres, principal investigator for the Mars Exploration Rovers.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 02:45   Link #1386
cyth
ふひひ

Mr Hibbit needs a monster character! Since the ape character is already taken, perhaps a sasquatch? Although the guy looked more like Frankenstein's monster ...
Old 2013-11-10, 04:20   Link #1387
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
A tough situation. Though certainly they will be a good team. Just too bad only one gets to go to the moon.
This time, the loser will have to wait for another mission opening. Which means an additional 3 or more years of waiting, qualifying, back up and main mission training.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 04:53   Link #1388
hamazura
Eugeo Fangay

im hoping vincent pass and going to moon and there will be more vincent story with the drunkard and his deceased friend (i forgot )
mutta vs kenji.... if author want to prolong the story, i think kenji will pass
Old 2013-11-10, 11:01   Link #1389
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The top of Mutta's head, even discounting the afro, came well above the monster's chin. As someone who' 6'4, I can tell you Mutta would have to be about 5'10 to stand that tall next to me. If he's closer to the Japanese average of 5'7, the monster should be within NASA limits.
I found this graph of the distribution of heights among sixteen-year-olds in Japan:
Images
size
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

From that chart, only a miniscule number of Japanese men would reach the NASA maximum of 190 cm. So from a Japanese perspective, that monster guy is huge, though as you suggest he is probably not taller than the NASA limit.
Old 2013-11-16, 12:01   Link #1390
ookamigirl

New tasks and challenges for Mutta & team.
They did get a pretty interesting assignment this time.
The ideas they had flying around were rather useful as well.
Each of them had their own unique ideas of what to add.
It was nice to see more about Kenji's family.
Looks like everyone needs time to adjust to a new country..
Shocking, yet half-expected news made a nice ending of this episode.

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 12:16   Link #1391
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I liked the focus on Kenji's family in this episode. It must indeed be very tough to move to a country where you don't know anybody and whose language you don't even speak just to follow a husband that's almost never home. Kenji is a lucky man to have such an understanding and devoted wife.

They did a good job making me want to root for Kenji. It's a shame only one of them will be chosen, they both deserve to go to the moon.
Old 2013-11-16, 20:52   Link #1392
hamazura
Eugeo Fangay

while both mutta and kenji deserve to go to moon, what about serika? i always thinking that she is only there because she is the main heroine, plot armor, she didnt really do anything special, and just winning the rock-paper-scissor game
Old 2013-11-16, 21:12   Link #1393
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
while both mutta and kenji deserve to go to moon, what about serika? i always thinking that she is only there because she is the main heroine, plot armor, she didnt really do anything special, and just winning the rock-paper-scissor game
Doesn't matter because Mutta already hooked her up with his ISS assignment a while back. I agree, though, that she hasn't really displayed much talent… I still like her character, but I guess it's likely because giving all of them distinctive talents is kind of difficult. We usually see Mutta or Kenji shining…

Which makes this new arc one of the most intriguing in a while for this series. These types of episodes are what really pulled me into this show. I like Hibito, but his arc just didn't do it for me. We're back in prime Space Bros. territory.

I think that, judging by the preview, this revelation might actually hurt their teamwork rather than help (as the monster guy predicted). Kenji says "Am I really such a cruel person?" - which indicates to me he's deliberating over some kind of maneuver that will screw over Mutta.

We know Mutta has Sharon's illness lighting a fire under him and this episode gave a sympathetic reason why Kenji is raring to go as well. I'll still root for Mutta over anyone else, but it does suck that only one can go. It wouldn't be very good storytelling (total cop out), but I wouldn't mind if they eventually just let them both go once this arc is over.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 03:34   Link #1394
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

We've seen this conflict between Kenji's career and family life early on as I recall. At the time it seemed that the author was creating a rationale for his not being selected as an astronaut, but eventually of course he was. The same process seems to be playing out here to justify Mutta's being selected over Kenji.

Frankly, I don't find the whole competition thing all that convincing. Wouldn't you want people who work well together to participate in missions? It feels a bit contrived for the sake of drama to me. Like ChainLegacy, I suspect Mr. Gates will relent when he sees what the two of them can accomplish together, and they'll both go.

Serika's collection of photos reminds me of this installment of the "Where's Jeremy?" ads that T-Mobile is currently running in the US. Her food obsession was cute at the beginning, but it's getting a bit old now. She must spend a lot of time in the gym if she eats whole bags of potato chips between meals and still manages to stay so trim.

So the answer to my question last week about the absence of women among the NEEMO trainees is that the ladies are going to the ISS while the men get to go to the moon? I'm not sure what to make of this given that there were women on Hibito's crew.

How much time has elapsed since Mutta and Serika met? Three or four years? C'mon folks, you're not getting any younger. Go out on a date already.

Oh, by the way, I was watching the new documentary about John F. Kennedy that ran this week on the PBS series, American Experience. Apropos of the Olga discussion, Jack was 35 and Jackie just 23 when they first started dating, the same age gap as my parents but some three decades further on. By the 1/2(his age)+7 rule, Caroline Kennedy would not be heading off to her new role as Ambassador to Japan.
Old 2013-11-17, 18:42   Link #1395
BBOvenGuy
Author-type person

I don't believe for a second that Kenji and Mutta won't both be going to the Moon. Kenji will probably win this round and be selected the "normal" way, but some other opportunity will come up for Mutta.
Old 2013-11-17, 22:40   Link #1396
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBOvenGuy View Post
I don't believe for a second that Kenji and Mutta won't both be going to the Moon. Kenji will probably win this round and be selected the "normal" way, but some other opportunity will come up for Mutta.
The whole time I was thinking that they're both going, only something will either happen to Kenji to where he's gotta drop out or Kenji gets picked and Mutta gets in thru sheer luck.
Old 2013-11-18, 02:29   Link #1397
BBOvenGuy
Author-type person

Mutta has his engineering background, and if Sharon's telescope gets the green light - which I'm expecting it will - his connection to her will help him, too. I'd also say that NASA or JAXA will want to send the brothers up together for publicity, but in real life that never happened with Mark and Scott Kelly - and they're identical twins.
Old 2013-11-18, 04:35   Link #1398
cyth
ふひひ

I think Mutta actually has a better chance than Kenji. Can't really explain it, just a gut feeling, but it feels like Mutta isn't the underdog we're used to anymore. At the very least he has equal footing with Kenji.
Old 2013-11-18, 05:43   Link #1399
Haak
F**k my life...

It's caption competition time!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-11-18, 09:57   Link #1400
Aesthetic Shampoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
I think Mutta actually has a better chance than Kenji. Can't really explain it, just a gut feeling, but it feels like Mutta isn't the underdog we're used to anymore. At the very least he has equal footing with Kenji.
I've been getting the feeling that Mutta has been moving forward only due to plot armour and being the main character. Unlike Kenji, the majority of his brilliant strokes seem to be due to random thoughts and luck rather than sustained hard work. This could be a problem of execution though, we know he works hard but for me its just so hard to see it, especially when he's standing next to someone like Kenji.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
science fiction, seinen