AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-04-10, 19:09   Link #441
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Neither do I view things with Ros colored glasses - I just keep an open mind. And since this is your first post in this thread, clearly I wasn't referring to you.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 19:37   Link #442
Jarmel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's a shame this show has already been written off by so many people, because I think it has a chance to be pretty damn good.
I'm becoming more accepting of it. I'm not happy about this AT ALL but if the show is good enough on its own then I'll swallow my reservations.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 19:42   Link #443
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And since this is your first post in this thread, clearly I wasn't referring to you.
Oh no, but just wanted to say there is someone out there who hasn't thought this a trainwreck before the train even started.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 20:04   Link #444
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
So far I'm moderately optimistic. The PV looks pretty good. Interesting story angle, I wouldn't mind a Diebuster-like connection to the original.


The time-slot is worrying. Late night anime and mecha rarely mix well, I'd feel more secure if it was an OVA or if it was programmed in a daytime slot.

No Dai Sato could be an issue, he is one of a handful of quality writers in the business. Still Kakuto Takeyoshi could be a pseudonym (for god knows who).

I'll certainly watch it, reserving judgement until then.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 20:40   Link #445
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
So far I'm moderately optimistic. The PV looks pretty good. Interesting story angle, I wouldn't mind a Diebuster-like connection to the original.


The time-slot is worrying. Late night anime and mecha rarely mix well, I'd feel more secure if it was an OVA or if it was programmed in a daytime slot.

No Dai Sato could be an issue, he is one of a handful of quality writers in the business. Still Kakuto Takeyoshi could be a pseudonym (for god knows who).

I'll certainly watch it, reserving judgement until then.
No Dai Satou is a concern, but Aikawa Shou is a very good and steady hand on the tiller to help "Kakuto Takeoyoshi" - whoever that actually is. A very solid career, and adapting a stage play into Oh! Edo Rocket was sheer brilliance.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 21:39   Link #446
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Quote:
I haven't written it off, just expressed skepticism. It will speak for itself. I don't truly view things with rose tinted nostalgia goggles.
Can you even apply nostalgia goggles for a show that many people have seen less than seven years ago? Seriously.
I myself have only watched E7 about a year ago or so, what, is it nostalgia in me speaking too? That's ridiculous.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 21:52   Link #447
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
No Dai Satou is a concern, but Aikawa Shou is a very good and steady hand on the tiller to help "Kakuto Takeoyoshi" - whoever that actually is. A very solid career, and adapting a stage play into Oh! Edo Rocket was sheer brilliance.
I dunno. Aikawa is good at adapting works, but I think his original stuff is generally pretty weak. When required to come up with original material or create new ideas, he generally stumbles pretty badly. Ayakashi Ayashi is garbage and Un-Go is a incoherent mess. Those are his more recent contributions. The only original series he wrote which I liked was Gad Guard... :/
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 21:58   Link #448
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
UN-GO is an adaptation, not an original work (fact). And I think it's an excellent series, flawed but with some of the sharpest dialogue and political commentary of any series last year (opinion).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 22:08   Link #449
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
No Dai Satou is a concern, but Aikawa Shou is a very good and steady hand on the tiller to help "Kakuto Takeoyoshi" - whoever that actually is. A very solid career, and adapting a stage play into Oh! Edo Rocket was sheer brilliance.
True, from what I can see Aikawa Shou is a screenwriter credited with some solid adaptions. His original work is unimpressive but he is certainly good at fleshing out other peoples ideas. Makes me really curious who that Kakuto Takeyoshi is.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 22:20   Link #450
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
UN-GO is an adaptation, not an original work (fact). And I think it's an excellent series, flawed but with some of the sharpest dialogue and political commentary of any series last year (opinion).
It's an adaptation in the same way that Gonzo's Romeo and Juliet is an adaptation. Not quite the same thing as 12 Kingdoms and Oh Edo Rocket. I would say reimagination is a better term for such projects.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 22:24   Link #451
aardvark
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United States
Age: 31
If it is a pen name the only likely candidate would for the director Kyoda I think. It would also explain the fact that 3 of the first 4 episodes have 2 writers I think.

He would come up with the original story, plan it out, and get help from a more experienced writer to help flesh out individual scripts, which in this case seems to be Aikawa.

As for why he would use a pen name...the only logical explanation is the reception that a lot of people had to the movie. But then again I cant recall ever seeing a single show that had one person credited as both director and for series composition...
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 22:25   Link #452
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 34
If Kyoda is using a pen name, does this mean he has taken the criticisms of the movie to heart?
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 22:32   Link #453
aardvark
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United States
Age: 31
I mean, I think its important to note that Kyoda wasn't just a director for hire in the original E7 and he was just as important as Sato in regards to the inception of the series and to the overall story + direction of the series.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 22:35   Link #454
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
I mean, I think its important to note that Kyoda wasn't just a director for hire in the original E7 and he was just as important as Sato in regards to the inception of the series and to the overall story + direction of the series.
Yes, and Kyoda is also the only one in the industry who remains interested in making more Eureka Seven. Which is why we got that.... movie... thing. Yoshida doesn't even seem all that interested in contributing much these days either.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 22:38   Link #455
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
i thought this thing already out?
__________________
*TL Note: Better than
Skype and Teamspeak

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 22:40   Link #456
aardvark
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United States
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Yes, and Kyoda is also the only one in the industry who remains interested in making more Eureka Seven. Which is why we got that.... movie... thing. Yoshida doesn't even seem all that interested in contributing much these days either.
Well he doesn't seem to be doing much of anything these days for the most part unfortunately, lol.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 22:44   Link #457
Jarmel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckroll View Post
Yes, and Kyoda is also the only one in the industry who remains interested in making more Eureka Seven. Which is why we got that.... movie... thing. Yoshida doesn't even seem all that interested in contributing much these days either.
Yoshida does pump out some E7 art once every few years. I don't know why they couldn't get him onboard for the new series though.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 22:58   Link #458
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmel View Post
Yoshida does pump out some E7 art once every few years. I don't know why they couldn't get him onboard for the new series though.
He is on board, just not in the same capacity he was for the original series. Like aardvark said, he doesn't seem to do very much these days other than some commissioned artwork from time to time.

Who knows though, maybe we'll be surprised and Yoshida will actually do some animation for the series in the end. We'll see.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 23:13   Link #459
aardvark
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United States
Age: 31
Im sure he will do some bits of KA, it would be insulting for him not to.

But if I were to guess, I would say its due to an unwillingness to commit so much professional time.

Yoshida has served as main character designer on only 2 shows, Gainer and E7, and in both he did a lot more than simply design characters. For E7, he was the chief animation director and provided a TON of key animation work (on a consecutive 50 ep series no less) and consistently worked on illustrating details and backgrounds for the shows setting, further fleshing it out.

Its fair to say he seems to be someone who truly dedicates himself 100% to a project, and if he can't provide that, then...well thats probably why hes only worked as main on 2 shows.

Im sure he probably felt it was important for him to be involved in some degree, considering his work on the original, thus designing the main characters at the very least.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-10, 23:36   Link #460
Jarmel
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
\
Im sure he probably felt it was important for him to be involved in some degree, considering his work on the original, thus designing the main characters at the very least.
Wait I thought the character designs was done by Kanzaki? My understanding that Yoshida's only involvement is his past work on the original series.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
harem, mecha, military, romance, science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.