AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-04-28, 20:24   Link #361
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWW View Post

Anyway, this isn't the point. The point I'm trying to make is that the drama is oppressing. It isn't even clever drama. It's simply an old-fashioned love triangle propagated by shallowness and misunderstandings. I hope there's a better balance in future episodes between the romance and music, because the characters are certainly not making themselves endearing this way.
I'm waiting for the college guy to come back. He's more Yurika's type than Sen.
Old 2012-04-28, 23:58   Link #362
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

You know, if the biggest problem you have with the show is "expectations" are wrong, then I don't think it's that big a deal. And I honestly don't have a problem with the drama. I think it's done very well, especially given the dramas I've seen (long story short, I hated most of them).

Anyways, yeah. I forgot about the Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry piano playing. That is some great animation right there. Stuff these days are just too conservative and you can't get away with as much as you could in the old days.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 00:48   Link #363
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

When we got to the scene where Sen suddenly blurted out that it was Kaoru who was inviting her, I had to stop for a couple of hours. That just repelled me. Seemed so false and hackneyed and nasty, like an ordinary silly triangle love comedy.

But when I came back, I realized that this was different, that the senpai maybe actually realized what was going on. In the end, this was yet another terrific episode. The pain was real, the emotions were real, the characters had interesting relations. Now I can just wait confidently for the heartache and joy to evolve.

In the end, Kaoru will leave again, and Ri and Sen can settle down for a long life together in the boonies. The senpai is just having some fun, or so it seems.

To me, this is good drama, with strong feelings and emotional events that make sense, and that stop well short of over-the-top melodrama.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 01:07   Link #364
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Whoah, Senpai isn't as stupid as I thought she would be (you know how ojou-samas usually are depicted). Even though Sen said it was Kaoru who asking her out, in the end, she went straight for Sen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
In the end, Kaoru will leave again, and Ri and Sen can settle down for a long life together in the boonies. The senpai is just having some fun, or so it seems.
Lol, don't get my hopes up like that, especially with Sen right now being a total douche and not noticing Ri'ko. To the point where I almost cheered for Kaoru for what he did because he indeed noticed Ri'ko's suffering.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 02:24   Link #365
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

God this is everything that K-ON should have been, and it deserves every bit of sales that moe fluff shit got to boot.

It's amazing how great this series and how well it carries itself.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 02:40   Link #366
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
To me, this is good drama, with strong feelings and emotional events that make sense, and that stop well short of over-the-top melodrama.
Oh, admit it. You just like this series because the main character's name is Kaoru!
Old 2012-04-29, 06:13   Link #367
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!

Quote:
That's not a fair comparison. Kids on the Slope is a romantic slice of life show grounded in reality. An OP can be abstract and avant-garde, but it can still be intelligently presented to be relevant to the theme of the show. See: The Tatami Galaxy.
Point is: it can. It's an artistic decision. I mean, I don't know about you, but I don't rely entirely on the OP to tell me what an anime is going to be about. In case of Apollon, it shows the characters playing music, as they actually do in the show - no more, no less. (As for Apollon being a romantic slice of life... well. Romantic in the sense of relating to Romanticism, maybe. Without spoiling anything, I think you'll find that even the romance is mostly about characterization.)

Quote:
No, not just about jazz, but like Nodame Cantabile, I expected character development by building up the various relationships and improving one's musical abilities. Neither of the two overbearing the other. Like I said earlier, hardships in love have been done to death, but the notion of combining it with expressive music rooted in improvisation is one that has unique potential, especially considering the staff. Sadly, the romance is overbearing by now, to the point it's strangling the other thematic concept.
What thematic concept? How is it being strangled? Again - you expected something that the show never actually promised. Just because a manga/anime involves people playing music music doesn't mean it has to be like other manga/anime that involve people playing music. Nodame Cantabile had a completely different setting, different mood and different themes. (And the differences are actually pretty obvious if you read up on both manga...)

Besides, so far it's been one (1) episode where the romance played a bigger part. How is that overbearing? Re: what I said above about the romance - even here it wasn't simply about ~love~ it was also used to add a new aspect to Sentarou and Kaoru's relationship, and their characters in general. The laid-back, cool Sen suddenly has no idea what he should do, Kaoru find he has the upper hand for once, and he decides to abuse the situation for his own purposes - get Sen involved with a girl so he would go away and not be a third wheel when Kaoru is trying to woo Rikko. And so on and so forth, the writing uses the romance to add touches to the characters and their non-romantic relationships, develop them and move things forward. I think this is worth a lot more than watching the characters playing music all the time.

Quote:
I don't see how the session in episode 2 can be classified as significant, besides maybe revealing that Sentarou has great respect for and perhaps even idolizes the trumpetist. In episode 3, they make up, sure, except Kaoru could have prevented it by not being such a numpty and taken his handkerchief, or at the very least resolved it by telling him the reason. It was all pointless in the end except to start a fight or otherwise drama.
The session in ep 2 was not only about introducing Junichi, it was Kaoru's first time participating in a session. How is that not significant? Until then he only wanted to learn to play jazz to impress Rikko and show up Sen, but during that session he experienced, for the first time, what it's like to play together with others, how great and liberating it feels. (Especially if you look at how he's being treated by his foster family.)
And as for ep 3, yes, it could've been prevented, except if you look at it that way, there should be no conflicts whatsoever because everything can be prevented one way or another, so all conflicts should be avoidable. Really, come on.

Quote:
IAnyway, this isn't the point. The point I'm trying to make is that the drama is oppressing. It isn't even clever drama. It's simply an old-fashioned love triangle propagated by shallowness and misunderstandings.
Have you read the manga, or looked up the story somewhere? If not, how can you say this after one (1) episode? If anything, the fact that Kaoru confessed to Rikko shows that things are not going to go the usual love triangle way...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 07:58   Link #368
Arya

I'm a bit late here, but I thought it was something about jazz so I left this series in the limbo for a while. And obviously I was wrong, I made the same mistake I did with Cross Game.
Anyways, it is really good in many ways, but what I like the most is the two male leads relation development and the characterization in general. Even if basically we don't know anything about the girls. Surely I didn't expect such a turn into a full romance drama, or so it seems now.

Spoiler for ep. 3:

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-29, 14:38   Link #369
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
God this is everything that K-ON should have been, and it deserves every bit of sales that moe fluff shit got to boot.

It's amazing how great this series and how well it carries itself.
Duno why you are bringing K-ON into this. The only thing similar is the music theme... like that you can bring in any music orientated show.
Old 2012-04-30, 02:04   Link #370
gianna
gigi

Just listened to their performance of But not for Me and very much looking forward to seeing it this week! (Jun-nii has some serious bedroom eyes ahahaha
Early on I kept thinking of what Duke said "By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn’t want your daughter to associate with.")

(editing myself here)
I think they will make it with twelve episodes
If they can round off episode five with the end of volume three it should continue well
The pace may get a little quick but I cannot doubt the team behind this (especially with what they've presented so far!!)
We can see they're already headed into the heavier story of volume three with episode four
This could be an actual turn off for those wanting more of what the first episode gave but yeah the core of this series are the characters
What and how each has come to be and becomes through their friendships not just the jazz that bonds them

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Ha. No self-respecting fangirl needs to have things spelled out for her... (It's a bit funny how the writing seems to go out of its way to tone it down, though. xD As much as the manga is definitely not BL, the bromance runs pretty deep.)
They do have an interesting relationship huh
I was thinking maybe platonic or no that could be too strong or not even the right word but either way Sentarou can be quite caring with Kaoru
He can be a nice guy after all just didn't get to show many for a long time

I'm completely loving this series
Even found myself openly cheering on Kaoru during certain scenes with Ri!

And because not a single person has said even one word -- the music is great and the session animation is stunningly amazing
Kaoru'shands reflected in the piano and Jun's movements
They could have gotten away without doing yet they did! They've gone all out and it shows man

And thanks for the explanation on why catholic=christian to them tinyredleaf

Last edited by gianna; 2012-04-30 at 14:19.
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 12:14   Link #371
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Wow this is awesome. Just started watching this; it's been a long time since a Nodame-ish show came along.

I hope Kaoru ends up with
Spoiler:
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 14:24   Link #372
gianna
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID555 View Post
Wow this is awesome. Just started watching this; it's been a long time since a Nodame-ish show came along.

I hope Kaoru ends up with
Spoiler:
Oh you...
Jazz bros yo!
This along with Space Bros and Fishing Bros is making for a very broful season for me

thanks for the laugh

Last edited by gianna; 2012-04-30 at 16:10.
Old 2012-04-30, 16:54   Link #373
Somnus
Eh?

Wait, wait, wait...forgive me if I'm misunderstanding one of the points that's been touched upon in this topic but some posts make it sound as if there was something more going on in that room between Yurika and Sen, besides him simply modelling for an art piece. Or rather, considering the room Kaoru had entered that's all I took it for. Sen's feelings are quite obvious, but I thought that scene was to be taken at face value. Am I mistaken?
Old 2012-04-30, 17:18   Link #374
gianna
gigi

It will be brought up in the beginning
Kaoru asks Sen himself while they are in pe class
(you see Kaoru sitting on Sen's back in the preview)

Just in case

Spoiler:
Old 2012-04-30, 17:30   Link #375
Flower
Purrrfectly cuddly! ^^

Quote:
....In the end, Kaoru will leave again...To me, this is good drama, with strong feelings and emotional events that make sense, and that stop well short of over-the-top melodrama.
Hafta agree that it is good drama ... but also that I have been thinking for a while that Kaoru will have to leave once again. I am not convinced that the childhood friends will wind up together after such a thing (although I would not be surprised if it did turn out that way, I guess), I am kinda hoping that Ri will slowly come to appreciate Kaoru for who he is and that Kaoru's transfer will be the "nail in the coffin" for her resolution to accept Kaoru.

Of course this could just be the "romantic" in me ... Kaoru moving away after Ri confesses to him (perhaps Ri even will initially reject him some time earlier?) but having both Ri's love and his newfound emotional growth from his involvement with his new found friends and newfound passion for music he is able to grow a little more and mature.

Something like that would be nice ... though I must admit while I am a romantic and such part of me remembers many a case where the male/female part ways even though they love each other - 5 Centimeters Per Second and Arriety the Borrower are two immediate examples that come to mind.
Old 2012-04-30, 20:23   Link #376
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!

So, I'm listening to the OST.

I can't really say anything about the jazz pieces - I'm no jazz enthusiast, and I'm rarely in the mood to listen to this type of jazz anyway. The vocal pieces are pretty good, Rikko's "My Favorite Things" is so cute, and the "Kaoru & Sentaro duet" track is pretty fun and easy to listen to even for me.

But to be honest, it feels like Kanno is kind of phoning in. Kind of, because the Kanno original BGMs are mostly very good as standalone pieces, even though they don't have a whole lot of character. There are some great tracks, especially the main theme ("Kids on the Slope") and "Yurika". But there are just so... few of them. And some of them are so completely different from the show's overall mood and character (let alone the non-Kanno BGMs and pieces) that I can't even imagine in what scenes they're going to be used. It's as if Kanno went "whatever, I'll just write some stuff that I like."

I've been wondering about this earlier, seeing how the BGM is used in the show... I don't quite understand why they felt the need to enlist Kanno on this project (apparently she doesn't even particularly like jazz). Her music works a lot better when it's the integral part of a show... then again, we still have 9 episodes to see how the soundtrack works.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-04-30 at 20:34.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 21:31   Link #377
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianna View Post
Oh you...
Jazz bros yo!
This along with Space Bros and Fishing Bros is making for a very broful season for me

thanks for the laugh

Hey, even the ED is all about K X S S X K....

Seriously though, it's still early to decide on which pairing to ship . Right now I'm more interested in seeing Kaoru gradually come out of his shell.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-30, 22:28   Link #378
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Hafta agree that it is good drama ... but also that I have been thinking for a while that Kaoru will have to leave once again. I am not convinced that the childhood friends will wind up together after such a thing (although I would not be surprised if it did turn out that way, I guess), I am kinda hoping that Ri will slowly come to appreciate Kaoru for who he is and that Kaoru's transfer will be the "nail in the coffin" for her resolution to accept Kaoru.

Of course this could just be the "romantic" in me ... Kaoru moving away after Ri confesses to him (perhaps Ri even will initially reject him some time earlier?) but having both Ri's love and his newfound emotional growth from his involvement with his new found friends and newfound passion for music he is able to grow a little more and mature.
What's the point in confessing to someone's who is leaving and not coming back? It's a waste of energy and time to me. Best to hook up with someone who is going to be around for a while.
Old 2012-05-01, 03:45   Link #379
leokiko

Next episode's preview looking good....

Should be kinda sad though.
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-01, 04:08   Link #380
sa547
*Author

BREAKING NEWS: Yuki's single is out now.

Quote:
Artist : YUKI
Title (Single) : プレイボール/坂道のメロディ
Release Date : 2012.05.02

1. プレイボール (4:35)
2. 坂道のメロディ (4:43)

Last edited by sa547; 2012-05-01 at 06:57.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, shoujo, slice of life