AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-01, 08:39   Link #721
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Speaking as a parent, I'd have to say that parents are often ill-served in anime especially in shows about adolescence. Often they're not present at all, ranging from extreme cases like School Rumble, where the Tsukamoto girls live in a spacious home with no supervision, to shows like this one where the parents have abandoned the teen-aged characters in some way or another.

Like Cal-Reflector, I felt considerable sympathy with Yurika's parents in their confrontation with their daughter. I think we're supposed to dislike them for having groomed an oujo-sama to follow in her mother's exquisitely-fashioned footsteps, but they obviously also bred a pretty strong will into their daughter and allowed her to have a mind of her own, not to mention their general permissiveness toward Yurika that Cal describes.

Parents of younger children in anime are more often portrayed in a positive light (Erin's mother Soyon being a especially good exemplar), but parents of adolescents are usually depicted in a way that panders to the tastes of the teen-aged anime audience, as overly controlling, often explosively angry, and out-of-touch with their offspring.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:14   Link #722
Haak
Converted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
And that means YurikaxSentaro and KaoruxRistuko might be happening after all. To be honest, a part of me hopes it does turn out like that because all turns out well, but there's also a part of me that doesn't want it to happen for that exact same reason...
Haha lol. I should've realised then that this definitely wasn't the type of anime where romantic loose threads would be conveniently resolved. Well I do now.

Sakamichi no Apollon, I will doubt you no more.
Old 2012-06-01, 09:14   Link #723
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Ep 8
Waaaw. Everyone's feelings are jumbled up.

I hate Yurika. And her being "level-headed" all the time irks me. Yet I don't want her to be thrown in a loveless marriage.

The fujoshi in me kinda hoped that when Sen was thinking about "someone caring from me" Kaoru's face pops up. Now THAT would be a shock!
Old 2012-06-01, 09:20   Link #724
LKK

When I saw the scene between Yurika and her mom, I didn't come away with the idea that mom thought Yurika might be pregnant. Her tone wasn't as worried as all that. Mom's tone sounded conspiratorial to me. My impression was that mom wanted to insure Yurika had some form of birth control protection. Given the time period, the most likely form of birth control would be the diaphragm which requires a doctor's prescription to obtain. (In the US anyway and I'm assuming in Japan as well.) My main point is that I just didn't get the feeling mom worried that Yurika is pregnant now, but that she wants to prevent such a situation in the near future.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list

Last edited by LKK; 2012-06-01 at 16:35. Reason: typo
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 09:46   Link #725
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

I think in Yurika's case, we're supposed to see a rebellious teenage girl on the point of view of the teenage girl. In real life we always hear people talk about these rebellious teenagers but we never really get to see it in their point of view. Yurika thinks that what she's doing is correct (not that it is) and is blocking any kind of advice from her parents so that she could be with Junichi. It's then that you realize "Ah so that's how she thinks" which makes sense (not that I agree with she's thinking).

Yurika's a very interesting character. Though she really had to do the whole "cut my hair to see my maturity" stint.
Old 2012-06-01, 10:37   Link #726
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I was impressed with Yurika. She is definitely no regular oujo-sama. I loved how she managed to see through Jun and guessed his true intentions almost right away. This kind of scene usually always ends with the girl storming out (which is exactly what Jun wanted). It was pretty refreshing that the opposite happened.

What happened to Jun did remind me a lot of Hyouka. The leadership of the movement was forced onto him, and the events that followed destroyed him. Thankfully, Yurika will be there to support him. I'm sure he'll be able to pull through with her help.

I assume this is it for those two, and that the plot will now focus once again on the love triangle between the three main characters. Talk about horrible timing... Sentarou realizes Ri-chan's feelings right when she is starting to fall in love with Kaoru. To be honest, I don't even know who I want her to end up with. Both of them are great choices. Whatever happen will happen.
Old 2012-06-01, 12:00   Link #727
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

1. I thought the visit to the gynecologist was just to get birth control, since I didn't hear any special hint of anything more. Maybe to double check if she might be pregnant. Good point that she didn't react like: "No way!" Not proven, but possible.

2. I was wrong to think they had already slept together last week, but in those days a passionate kiss might have been thought almost as big a deal as we would think of sleeping together today. A "betrayal" of Sen, anyway.

3. Hard to complain about this show being too much from the teenagers' point of view when (a) the teenagers are the main characters, and (b) the parents are treated more sympathetically than they usually are.

4. I wonder how Sen realizing Rii-chan's feelings will affect his relationship with Kaoru. Does Sen really have no romantic interest in Riichan? It's possible. Can Kaoru realize that Rii-chan also likes him? How would that affect his friendship with Sen? Whom does Rii-chan like more right now? Can it be that her feelings for Sen were not really sexual/romantic, since she had been like a sister to him for so long? Did her heart ever beat faster for Sen, as it has for Kaoru, the exotic outsider?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 23). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru), Ben-To (Hana). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki), Kimi no Iru Machi (Rin). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Blade & Soul (Jin Valel), Soul Eater Not! (Meme), Seven Deadly Sins (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Gangsta (Nina), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy), One-Punch Man (Tornado), Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan (Goura), Hidan no Aria AA (Kirin). 2016 ERASED (Kayo), Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu), Ace Attorney (Mayoi), Tanaka-kun (Rino).
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 13:33   Link #728
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
2. I was wrong to think they had already slept together last week, but in those days a passionate kiss might have been thought almost as big a deal as we would think of sleeping together today.
Even then, kissing carried no risk of pregnancy.

Quote:
A "betrayal" of Sen, anyway.
I don't think she felt guilty about that kiss with Jun.

Quote:
3. Hard to complain about this show being too much from the teenagers' point of view when (a) the teenagers are the main characters, and (b) the parents are treated more sympathetically than they usually are.
Indeed. Besides, even if we see things from their point of view, it's not like we have to agree with them.

Quote:
4. I wonder how Sen realizing Rii-chan's feelings will affect his relationship with Kaoru. Does Sen really have no romantic interest in Riichan? It's possible. Can Kaoru realize that Rii-chan also likes him?
The way things are going? Not before pushing her into Sen's arms or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector View Post
Food for thought:

Put yourselves in the shoes of Yurika's mom and dad: You pour your love and care into your (only?) child for 17-18 years, then out of the blue, in the span of a few months, her behavior changes rapidly, she starts getting into trouble at school, and then you learn she's dating/living with an older, questionable man, possibly in trouble with the law (and carrying that man's child?), all before she graduates from school.

Now, they're minor characters and we're not supposed to give much thought to their feelings, but it seems natural that Yurika's parents would be hurt and upset.

They're not shown to be stereotypical over-controlling parents whose vanity was offended either: Yurika hangs out with who she wants, goes where she wants (the beach, the record store, a bar frequented by American sailors at night), when she wants. If anything, her parents appear to grant her autonomy extraordinary for this time period and culture. I could understand if they felt Yurika has betrayed their trust, and in a way she has.

Of course, this being anime, the audience sees that Yurika and Jun are truly in love, and true love ignores social conventions. Still, being in love does not necessarily meaning burning bridges with your parents, and I can not but feel that Yurika could have handled it better (like waiting till graduation).
All good points. Though, while she could have waited till graduation, Jun needed someone to pull him out of his dive more urgently.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 14:13   Link #729
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

Man I am loving the romantic developing just being crazy right now.

It's so delicious lol

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 15:53   Link #730
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Even then, kissing carried no risk of pregnancy.
Lol. With 21st-century technology, sleeping together carries minimal (but not zero) risk. If this is really set in the mid-1960s, then I think even kissing such a guy might lead to parents setting their hair on fire.
Quote:
I don't think she felt guilty about that kiss with Jun.
Then what was she referring to in the previous episode when she said she had betrayed Sen? Oh, maybe I get it: she feels guilty for ever hinting at feelings for Sen, when she knew her feelings were for Jun?
Quote:
Indeed. Besides, even if we see things from their point of view, it's not like we have to agree with them.
Excellent point to remember.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 23). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru), Ben-To (Hana). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki), Kimi no Iru Machi (Rin). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Blade & Soul (Jin Valel), Soul Eater Not! (Meme), Seven Deadly Sins (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Gangsta (Nina), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy), One-Punch Man (Tornado), Onsen Yousei Hakone-chan (Goura), Hidan no Aria AA (Kirin). 2016 ERASED (Kayo), Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu), Ace Attorney (Mayoi), Tanaka-kun (Rino).

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2012-06-01 at 16:23.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 16:08   Link #731
ookamigirl

All about Junichi and his past.
Nishimi's popularity still growing.
That little performance at the festival boosted his popularity even more.
Sentaro got his feelings hurt by his idol. Just sad.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 16:43   Link #732
LKK

Quote:
Then what was she referring to in the previous episode when she said she had betrayed Sen? Oh, maybe I get it: she feels guilty for ever hinting at feelings for Sen, when she knew her feelings were for Jun?Excellent point to remember.
I think that's the intended interpretation. Remember when she told Karou that she had succumbed to loneliness? I think what she meant was that because she was lonely and missing Jun, she gave in to Sentarou's advances in an attempt to feel less lonely. Now that she's in better control of her emotions, she realizes that she took advantage of Sentarou's feelings and betrayed their friendship which I believe she genuinely treasures.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2012-06-01, 17:04   Link #733
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Lol. With 21st-century technology, sleeping together carries minimal (but not zero) risk.
Properly used, yes. But teen pregnancy is still a problem because, for a variety of reasons, kids can be careless or ignorant about it.

Quote:
Then what was she referring to in the previous episode when she said she had betrayed Sen? Oh, maybe I get it: she feels guilty for ever hinting at feelings for Sen, when she knew her feelings were for Jun?
What LKK said.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-01, 20:29   Link #734
Cal-Reflector

What-ifs:

What if Yurika and Sentarou had kissed and Jun was not there to interrupt?
Old 2012-06-02, 07:16   Link #735
Bern-san

Cool episode.
Sentaro was rather calm considering how his character is after he saw Yurika in the apartment. Liked the explanation of Jun-nii's change. It sort of reminded me of the beginning of the first story of Aoi Bungaku series.

Now the problem is about our main trio. Who will Rit-chan choose? Will Sen realize that he has feelings for her deep inside or he just considers her as sister type?
Kaoru has been (and he still is) struggling for accepting that Ritsuko didn't correspond him and I don't think that he will notice that she is developing something for him now.

Ahh I'm so curious to know what will happen.

Before I watched the episode I cut my hair short (I had it really long) ala Yurika obviously not for the same reasons and when I saw that scene I loled so hard
Old 2012-06-02, 09:28   Link #736
LKK

Speaking of Yurika's haircut, I want to whine a bit about how anime girls can take 2 swipes with their scissors and come up haircuts worthy of an expensive professional hairstylist. It just isn't fair!

Old 2012-06-02, 12:12   Link #737
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Damn triangle love again , yeah that was a bad timing lol
I hope Sen doesn't have feelings for Ritsuko. So Kaoru x Ritsuko. Sen x "insert new character"
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-02, 17:07   Link #738
Somnus
Eh?

Hm...what to say about this week's ep? Or rather, how do I say it?

I thought I'd be more excited about an episode with Yurika as a main focus, but coming off of that spectacular performance last week made the first half of this episode feel like it was going in slow-motion. Which is somewhat of an inaccurate statement since it pretty much threw a boatload of information at us about Junichi.

That being said, I'm a little mesmerized by Yurika's developments. I can't decide if she's a woman completely lost in love (and rebellion, in reference to the arranged marriage), or it's simply a decision made while being true to her character. Either way, I'd hate to say it but the haircut really irked me. I loved Yurika's long hair.

On the other end of the table, the development between our main trio was definitely the highlight of the episode for me. Kaoru's starting to hit all the right notes for Ritsuko, possibly due to the universal law of attraction kicking in here (all girls "wanting" him, on top of him trying to push her away romantically).Whereas Sen finally got the message, though how he'll act on it is still up in the air.

Lastly, did anyone else find the RAGE-jam hilarious? Sen's reason behind it is nothing to scoff at, of course, but the way Kaoru reacted and followed through with his playing had me going.
Old 2012-06-03, 13:53   Link #739
deadite

Is there anywhere in this board to discuss the manga? A summary and some photos of the last chapter just came out.
deadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-03, 19:05   Link #740
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Manga discussions are here http://forums.animesuki.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13. If there's no thread for this series, you're welcome to start one.

Tags
josei, shoujo, slice of life