AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-06-07, 01:13   Link #741
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
When I saw the scene between Yurika and her mom, I didn't come away with the idea that mom thought Yurika might be pregnant. Her tone wasn't as worried as all that. Mom's tone sounded conspiratorial to me. My impression was that mom wanted to insure Yurika had some form of birth control protection. Given the time period, the most likely form of birth control would be the diaphragm which requires a doctor's prescription to obtain.
I took it to be a reference to hymen reconstruction. Given the time period and the family's social standing, Yurika's parents would've insisted on the procedure to make her "suitable for marriage" again (and I would be very surprised if they encouraged birth control). After all, they had every intention of marrying her off to an affluent family.

Conspiratorial? Reconstruction was performed to mislead potential suitors, so I suppose one could see it that way.
TJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 14:00   Link #742
ookamigirl

Kaoru didn't have much fun at the Christmas party.
Sentaro finally realized Ritsuko's feelings.
Jun leaving again...
Sentaro vs Jun in a music challenge.
It was nice how Jun took Yurika with him.
Hope they'll have a good life together.

ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 15:26   Link #743
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

Episode 9

Great episode. I was practically on the edge of my seat when Jun realised what "Going back to my world" actually meant. I can't believe the sucker actually did it too.
Old 2012-06-07, 16:43   Link #744
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I can't believe the sucker actually did it too.
You can't believe the sucker did what? Figure out what Yurika meant? Or his action once he figured it out?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 16:46   Link #745
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Real men settle things through jamming. Nice move by jun for not letting Yurkia go back to her world. Perfect placement by Ritsuko.
Old 2012-06-07, 16:54   Link #746
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

As a shameless romantic, I loved this episode. Yes, it seemed to plod a bit at first, but it delivered a huge payload by the end. Does Sen now have romantic feelings for Ri-chan? Doesn't matter, since hers for him have evaporated in the presence of a piano-playing sun. Now Sen and Ri-chan are siblings again.

The development between Yurika and Junichi was great, whether or not things really work out. I expect they will, since his prior restraint showed he treasures her, and with her to keep him on track, he can bring forth his obvious great ability. His reaction to seeing what her "own world" really was -- and to the idea that some other guy might be about to get her -- was excellent. The only thing I could have wished for is more episodes, so that their feelings could have been developed more fully. Their actions seemed excessive for the amount of passion that we have so far seen. I know they love each other, but it felt insufficiently developed and demonstrated, to me.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 17:04   Link #747
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Does Sen now have romantic feelings for Ri-chan?
He doesn't - he told her she was like family to him, that's why he apologized for not noticing her feelings and inadvertantly hurting her. The Sen-Kaoru-Rikko triangle is one of the best-handled romances I've read or seen lately, and this scene especially does something great that so many other anime and manga fail at.

The Junichi-Yurika plot has always felt to me as if it was written for a live-action drama, and it was especially true in the end, especially with the camera angles and such. Not that it's a wrong thing, mind you. (I really wonder why nobody yet has made a live-action drama out of this manga, it's practically begging to be adapted... and actors not being able to play instruments convincingly has never stopped anyone, re: Nodame Cantabile. Then again, knowing how drama adaptations of manga/anime tend to turn out, I think it's better if Apollon never gets adapted...)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 18:05   Link #748
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This was an amazingly simple episode, really. Basically four main scenes, plus a few supporting ones, spread out over the winter holidays as Kyushu is covered by a light blanket of snow. I can only describe the way Watanabe constructed it as “elegant”. If Tsuritama is Oscar Peterson – bright and brash and slightly out of control, bursting with creative flair, Sakamichi is Bill Evans. Not a note is wasted, and not an unnecessary one added. Watanabe, like Evans, plays only what needs to be played to communicate the feeling behind the music.

And let me add, this ep gave us both Yurika’s reference to Kaoru’s “Prince” – and “whiskers on kittens and warm woolen mittens”. That’s almost embarrassingly good stuff.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 18:25   Link #749
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And let me add, this ep gave us both Yurika’s reference to Kaoru’s “Prince” – and “whiskers on kittens and warm woolen mittens”. That’s almost embarrassingly good stuff.
I caught the Prince reference but totally missed the "whiskers on kittens and warm woolen mittens" allusions. Good catch, Enzo.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2012-06-07, 18:54   Link #750
Grifis
Eternal Dreamer

Jun looked secshy at the duel. I don't know what it is but I cried when Yurika turned back looking at Jun with tears in her eyes then Jun realized. I hope he won't be accused of kidnapping.

Poor Sen-boy shall be alone.
Old 2012-06-07, 20:38   Link #751
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

I'm glad Yurika got such a nice ending. Hopefully the same goes for Kaoru and Ritsuko.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 20:43   Link #752
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grifis View Post
Poor Sen-boy shall be alone.
I think that has been Sen's fate for the last couple of episodes now. Maybe he'll study for the priesthood?

I thought it unlikely that Watanabe and company would take the romanticized route at the end, but they did. Unlike Kaoru Chujo I'm less sanguine on Jun and Yurika's prospects. Jun might have some talent as a trumpeter; his future as a lefty activist seems dim. Yurika is now a high-school dropout attached to a man that's just about as far removed from her parents' idea of an appropriate match as one might imagine. I'd be shocked if Yurika and Jun were still together in five years.

Both Watanabe and Kanno were born around 1964/65 so they have no personal experience of the historical period being portrayed in this show. Kodama seems to keep her year of birth a secret, though she first started publishing around 2007. That suggests she's younger than Watanabe. All told, I'm not surprised that modern Japanese artsy types romanticize their lefty forebears from the 1960s. (The episode with the movie directors in Bartender is another example.)

Another great episode, by the way. The conversation between Ritusko and Yurika was my favorite sequence. Yurika uses "Ritsuko-chan" at one point which seemed rather demeaning. I thought it showed how Yurika thinks of Ritsuko as less adult and less sophisticated than herself. But perhaps it was just Japanese girls being Japanese girls. I'm hardly in any position to say.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-06-07 at 21:57.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 21:21   Link #753
LKK

Slightly OT. This week is pledge week for my local PBS station. Tonight's special was Jazz Icons. I didn't get to see it all, but I did get to see John Coltrane perform his version of My Favorite Things. Also, one of the last performances in the special was a 1970s performance by drummer Buddy Rich and his band. They played a song call Birdland. The OP for the anime is called Lullaby of Birdland. The songs are different, but the similarity in titles could not possibly be a coincidence, could they?

Edit: Some quick research revealed that Birdland was the name of a famous jazz club in New York City that operated from 1949 to 1965. (The club reopened in 1986.) The song Birdland was written in honor of the club. Lullaby of Birdland was probably named that for the same reason. If you want to read more about the club, here's the Wiki page.

Last edited by LKK; 2012-06-07 at 21:32.
Old 2012-06-07, 22:00   Link #754
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Once more to Wiki for the "Lullaby of Birdland" page which reports that the song was written as a tribute to the famous jazz club some three years after it opened.

The Stan Freberg reference in the Wiki piece is to his cover of the 1950's R&B hit "The Great Pretender." Freberg was a boyhood idol of mine. Probably his best realized work is "Stan Freberg Presents the United States of America" whose first track is here. The spectacular American voice actress June Foray was a perennial member of Freberg's troupe.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-06-07 at 23:05.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 22:40   Link #755
Kaoru Chujo
Kuno Misaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I think that has been Sen's fate for the last couple of episodes now. Maybe he'll study for the priesthood?
Great thought.
Quote:
Unlike Kaoru Chujo I'm less sanguine on Jun and Yurika's prospects. Jun might have some talent as a trumpeter; his future as a lefty activist seems dim. Yurika is now a high-school dropout attached to a man that's just about as far removed from her parents' idea of an appropriate match as one might imagine. I'd be shocked if Yurika and Jun were still together in five years....
That's perfectly possible, even likely on the surface of things, but I think the mention of the job with a new publishing company is meant to give us hope for his future. He was, as I recall, a good student in university, and despite being a dropout, seems to have some smarts. And Yurika seems like a pretty determined person, who may help to steer him toward a more solid life. (This is where I wish we had more background on each of them separately and on the two of them together.) And if they do get married, getting divorced was far less common then than it is today.
Kuno Misaki 久野美咲 age 21. 2009 - King of Thorn (Alie). 2010 - Oreimo (Bridget). 2012 - Black Rock Shooter (Hiro). 2013 - Problem children (Melln). Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS (Mimi), Log Horizon (Serara), Galilei Donna (Grande Rosso). 2014 - Noragami (Keiichi), Escha and Logy (Kuu), Zvezda Plot (Hoshimiya Kate/Venera-sama), Wixoss (Tama), Mahouka Koukou (Kasuga Nanami), Flag o Oraretara (Kurumiko), Nanana (Saki), Seven Deadly Sins (Hawk).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | autumn 2014 previews | autumn 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: Sailor Moon Crystal | Akatsuki no Yona | Amagi Brilliant Park | Coffin-Princess Chaika | Cross Ange | Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai | Danna ga Nani ga Itteru | Denkigai no Honya-san | Donten ni Warau | Fate/Stay Night UBW | Le Fruit de la Grisaia | Gugure! Kokkuri-san | Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de | Madan no Ou to Vanadis | Orenchi no Furo Jijou | Seven Deadly Sins | Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso | Shirobako | Sora no Method | Tribe Cool Crew | Trinity Seven | Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete | Wixoss
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 23:21   Link #756
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

This is how I look at Jun taking Yurika with him - better an uncertain future than one almost certain to be loveless. Intellectually it makes little sense for her to go with him, and I was of the view that she shouldn't - but I changed my mind at exactly the same time Jun did.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-07, 23:29   Link #757
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Bah, not satisfied with the slap Kaoru gave Sen. Someone ought to give him a real good slugging IMO.

At least I like how Jun and Yurika ended... so romantic. I certainly don't think their future is bright, but hopefully Jun doesn't break down this time.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 00:50   Link #758
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I suspect there is yet a road of hardship remaining for Jun and Yurika but better to choose a life of possible happiness and love than one that is completely without joy I suppose?

I'm still thoroughly convinced that in the hands of a lesser director, this adaption would have felt VERY uneven and badly paced. Instead Watanabe manages to deliver the heart and soul of this story fairly easily. He makes it look so easy when it has no right to be this simple.

Interested in how this show plans to wrap itself up towards the closing episodes. All in all another fantastic episode.
Reckoner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-08, 04:11   Link #759
Haak
God Damn Christmas Songs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
You can't believe the sucker did what? Figure out what Yurika meant? Or his action once he figured it out?
The action afterwards...
Old 2012-06-08, 06:10   Link #760
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The Graduate was mentioned earlier in this thread somewhere but I feel it more here: an impulsive spur of moment realization towards an uncertain future. It's idealistic sure, but hey who are we to judge whether the humble future that Jun has would be enough to feed and house them both?

So the last visible loose end in sight going towards the end is the romantic angle, which looks like it will wrap up shortly. I assume that Kaoru's relationship with his distant family will also need resolving.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, shoujo, slice of life