AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Chuunibyou

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-10-20, 11:10   Link #1521
rulfo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Images
Not safe for heart
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
rulfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:14   Link #1522
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere in the 11th dimension
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Images
Not safe for heart
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
well... atleast you warned me...
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:20   Link #1523
Snuffle
likes cute things
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Searching for more imoutos
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Images
Not safe for heart
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
*Faints from cuteness overload*

Reminds me of that guy from Kobato.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:21   Link #1524
NCP
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
@FredFriendly, I (and others it would seem) would like to take your arguments seriously, but it is simply impossible to do so when you are so clearly twisting the facts of this show to fit your viewpoints. When reading your arguments and rewatching this show, it is quite clear that they do not reconcile at all. In fact, it is almost as if you are watching a different show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredFriendly View Post
So it's okay for a guy to tie up some girl that he's never met by her hair to a bedpost? It's okay for a guy to physically abuse a girl just because he doesn't like what she says or does? And it sure seems to me like some of the things he does actually hurt her (she says as much).

In the first half of episode 3 Yuuta smacks Rikka on the head four times, and none of those times warranted him abusing her. The first time he smacked her, she was only responding to a remark he made, and not even in her "Chuunibyou mode." The second time he smacks her it's because she says he can be president of the club. The third time he smacks her is because he doesn't like what she's saying to Kumin (and judging by the sound effects, it musta hurt). And the fourth time he smacks her is after her very impressive battle on the stage, and he also tells her to "Cut it out" (nobody else seemed bothered by her performance, indeed, they seemed impressed). What right does he have to keep smacking her on the head? What right does he have to boss her around?
The quoted text above is a perfect example of this. Those statements are misleading, deceitful and serve no purpose other than to obfuscate and misrepresent the actual content of the show. I will go through them one by one.

Quote:
The first time he smacked her, she was only responding to a remark he made, and not even in her "Chuunibyou mode."
I find it disingenuous how you completely ignore the content of this conversation in order to make your point that the abuse was “unwarranted”. If you’ll recall, Yuuta said that he believed that Touka wouldn’t be a very good cook. Rikka’s then responded by threatening to tell her sister that he said that. His response of a light tap to the head along with a "Don't mention that" hardly qualifies as abuse. In fact, it's a common interaction in everyday life. What's more interesting than the interaction is why you completely overlook Rikka's role in the whole thing.

Quote:
The second time he smacks her it's because she says he can be president of the club.
I wonder, did you happen to completely miss the part where Rikka very dangerously slide tackled Yuuta just a few seconds before this happened? If you did, I included a screenshot from the episode for reference. Now didn’t you make a point that you would also complain about unwarranted female-on-male violence? If so, why do you so readily ignore the fact that Rikka assaulted Yuuta completely unprovoked? Why is it okay for her to launch Yuuta into the air with an extremely dangerous maneuver, yet unwarranted for him to retaliate with a light chop to the head?

Spoiler for Image:

Quote:
The third time he smacks her is because he doesn't like what she's saying to Kumin (and judging by the sound effects, it musta hurt).
Now this is just factually incorrect. Yuuta smacking Rikka had nothing to do with Kumin, in fact they weren’t even aware of her presence at the time. It did have to do with the fact that Rikka was wildly swinging her umbrella around nearly hitting innocent passerbys. She then stuck her umbrella into a girl’s face, and upon being asked why, she proceeded to tell the girl that there was a dark aura surrounding her, clearly distressing said girl. Here are more screenshots in case you also missed this part. You ask what gives Yuuta the right to smack Rikka on the head? Well then I must ask what gives Rikka the right to physically endanger others and cause them mental anguish with her wild delusions?

Spoiler for Images:

Quote:
And the fourth time he smacks her is after her very impressive battle on the stage, and he also tells her to "Cut it out" (nobody else seemed bothered by her performance, indeed, they seemed impressed).
Now this is quite ridiculous. I went ahead and put together a number of screenshots from this scene, and I would like for you to point out where exactly anyone seemed impressed with Rikka’s antics. Instead of impressed, those people look rather confused, shocked, and even fearful. Or are we supposed believe that those pained expressions, exasperated faces, and prominent sweatdrops are in fact signs of admiration? You also seem to be ignoring the fact that Rikka once again physically assaulted another person.

Spoiler for Images:

Quote:
So it's okay for a guy to tie up some girl that he's never met by her hair to a bedpost?
I must say, this criticism is quite absurd, simply because it is totally devoid of any semblance of common sense. Once again you clearly ignore the circumstances of the situation. Let’s review what happened in this scene. Yuuta is awoken by a complete stranger while he lies in bed. She apparently broke into his room, is on top of him in a full mount position and has her hands dangerously close to his head and neck. Upon being asked to identify herself, the unknown person refuses and tells him to introduce himself first. Are you seriously questioning whether it was okay for Yuuta to defend himself in this situation? Would you rather he simply let this completely unknown and uncooperative stranger potentially strangle him to death? Ridiculous.

With all that being said, I wonder how you can explain the discrepancies between the actual show and the show you seem to be watching in your head. I also wonder how you can claim to not be twisting facts of the show, when you can’t even seem to get them correct, let alone straight. And lastly, I wonder what your agenda is, because you seem to have one. Otherwise, I can’t think of any other reason as to why you so willingly ignore and hand-wave Rikka’s crazy antics that have not only greatly inconvenienced Yuuta (preventing him from hanging out with his classmates, causing them to miss the train, getting him involved with her sister), but also have been shown to make others uncomfortable and uneasy, while at the same time crucifying Yuuta for having the gall to respond in a negative manner.
NCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:29   Link #1525
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Images
Not safe for heart
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
fu fu fu! for a person that go to pixiv (or any other picture sites) daily. this is nothing

Images
Look! I have new cat :3
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
Law of Inertia
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
Cheerleader
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


NSFW
Die Onee-Sama!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:38   Link #1526
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere in the 11th dimension
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
fu fu fu! for a person that go to pixiv (or any other picture sites) daily. this is nothing

Images
Look! I have new cat :3
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
Law of Inertia
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Images
Cheerleader
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?


NSFW
Die Onee-Sama!
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
those are awsome (especialy the last one) We need an Image thread for this story btw so the awsome pics don't get lost in the pointless arguments!
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:42   Link #1527
Kimidori
Let's Play
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPanda View Post
those are awsome (especialy the last one) We need an Image thread for this story btw so the awsome pics don't get lost in the pointless arguments!
yeah, plus discuss both Main and Lite episode in one thread is a bit inconvenient.
__________________
Kimidori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:52   Link #1528
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Somewhere in the 11th dimension
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
yeah, plus discuss both Main and Lite episode in one thread is a bit inconvenient.
areed, unfortunately we are like 40,000 posts short of warenting a sub catagory
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 11:54   Link #1529
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimidori View Post
yeah, plus discuss both Main and Lite episode in one thread is a bit inconvenient.
They're the same show, how is it at all inconvenient? It's no different than discussing DVD bonus episodes in a thread for the main series, which has been done several times previously without problem.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 13:40   Link #1530
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Sorry for the delay! Staff comments for episode 3!
Episode Director Noriyuki Kitanohara:
Quote:
This is Kitanohara, the person in charge of storyboarding and directing episode 3.

Sanae Dekomori has debuted! I think I made her a bit intense for the third episode. I say that even though we had to restrain ourselves and disconnect ourselves from what the supervisor originally wanted. She still gives off that noble impression though.

While I can't put it into words here, I put it into the episode itself. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.
Animation Director Nobaki Maruki:
Quote:
I'm Maruki and I was the animation director for episode 3.

From this episode onward, the long-awaited (?) Dekomori will appear. More developments around the chuunibyou girl who's disease surpasses Rikka will be told. Just like how she attacks with her hair, those portions will revolve around her.

While we were working on this episode, we tried to cram in as much painfully cute moments so the audience would grin as the amount of loveable chuunibyou characters increased and Yuuta's straight man routine became hectic.

Everyone, please continue to watch even if you're in agony.
Background artist Tomoki Hiashi:
Quote:
This is Hiashi, the person in charge of backgrounds for episode 3.

I had to laugh when I saw the scene where it changed from Rikka and Dekomori's battle in the delusional world (castle) to the real world (club room).

Their ability to change an ordinary room into a scene out of a movie is spectacular.

Because we aimed to make the backgrounds for Chuunibyou soft and warm, we tried to make the real world seem as pretty as a picture when we outlined those scenes.Conversely, for the delusional world, we tried to make them as real as possible when they were outlined. I'm happy if people notice the difference in each image.
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 14:04   Link #1531
Jmac
Sharing my world thru art
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Anywhere I can draw inspiration from
Age: 32
I fully support the nap club and Rikka in cheerleader uniform
__________________
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 16:02   Link #1532
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
When people become an ex-whatever there can be a strong desire on their parts to stop other people from going down the same "wrong path" that they did.

I see a lot of that in Yuuta - A fierce shame and loathing over what he used to be, and hence a deep exasperation at what Rikka is like now.

Yuuta has so deeply rejected the person he used to be, that every time a person even just plays along with Rikka he gets seriously put-off by it. I could just feel Yuuta's world crumbling down as the widely respected and popular Shinka now wants to join Rikka's club as well. No doubt the world has gone mad, and completely topsy-turvy, in Yuuta's eyes.


It's going to be interesting to see how Yuuta reacts to this next episode. If he reflects much on it at all, he'll certainly realize that it would now actually hurt his social life if he keeps up a strict anti-Chunnibyou approach given how all of these cute girls are totally embracing it. His whole rationale for rejecting Chunnibyou has been completely turned on its head.

Basically, Yuuta has a choice between the entirety of his potential 4-girl harem and continuing to totally reject Chunnibyou. As much as a man may value his sanity, I think most hot-blooded men would value something a bit more here.


My guess is that Yuuta will slowly - Very, very slowly (Kyon/Oreki-esque) - be won over by the sheer bubbly weight of the cute girls pushing him to play along with Rikka. And then, like Kyon/Oreki, he'll start to find himself surprisingly enjoying it, almost in spite of himself.

This will probably take awhile, but I do think it'll eventually happen.


As for shipping wars, I'm going to wait and see on that. Right now, I think that Yuuta likes Shinka, Shinka likes Yuuta, and Rikka really likes Yuuta (I honestly feel a bit sorry for Rikka; she's really going through a heck of a lot to try to win this guy over).


Anyway, Episode 3 was another pretty fun watch. Bolo-hair girl was certainly something else. She really rounds out this cast well!
I think this analysis is pretty much spot on, although I don't think Yuuta really has much of an interest in a harem, which is a *good* thing. He'll join the club, just because Shinka wants to be in it.

I also wonder if Yuuta will ever really warm to Rikka's antics, in the way you describe. Like Kyon, he may rediscover the charm of things he thought he gave up on, but while Kyon was listless and purposeless until he met Haruhi, Yuuta has a real passion for being "normal"; it's not just adopting social conventions out of inertia (Oreki is another obvious comparison here, as you point out). Also, because Rikka (unlike Haruhi) does NOT have real special powers, I think it makes more sense for Yuuta to be a more committed straight man than Kyon was, so Yuuta can keep Rikka's weirdness in check, while understanding her the best, and also building bridges to "normal" people. The lunch scene shows that Rikka is socially isolated to some degree, even though so many "normal" students seem surprisingly accepting of her antics.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 16:55   Link #1533
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
I think this analysis is pretty much spot on, although I don't think Yuuta really has much of an interest in a harem, which is a *good* thing. He'll join the club, just because Shinka wants to be in it.
I don't think that he has an interest in a harem. I think, at the moment, he's seriously interested in Shinka, and might have a latent interest in Rikka, but that's it.

However, I do think that his soon-to-be four female club-mates are all interested in him, hence why I went with the term "harem". But yeah, it's not really a harem anime because Rikka has already indicated clear leanings. There'll probably be a love triangle of sorts, but I doubt it goes beyond that.


Quote:

I also wonder if Yuuta will ever really warm to Rikka's antics, in the way you describe. Like Kyon, he may rediscover the charm of things he thought he gave up on, but while Kyon was listless and purposeless until he met Haruhi, Yuuta has a real passion for being "normal"; it's not just adopting social conventions out of inertia (Oreki is another obvious comparison here, as you point out).
Yuuta has a passion for being "normal", but it's largely out of a desire to be socially accepted. He was ostracized for his Chunnibyou, and he understandably never wants to endure that again.

But now, the road to social acceptance is ironically being paved with Chunnibyou eccentricity.

Let's say that Yuuta was to say "No way am I joining this crazy club". Who would he have left then? The four girls would all be upset at him about it, and his wingman would almost certainly go "Dude, you're the one who's crazy! You could have joined a club that includes the cutest girl in class, and three other cute girls besides! What were you thinking in turning that down?!" In one stroke, Yuuta would piss off the five people that are now the closest peers in his life.

So I think he will very begrudgingly join the group, and over time his resistance will waver.

I don't think he'll ever fully embrace Chunnibyou again, and he'll probably spend a lot of time playing interpreter as you wrote, but I do think he might eventually kind of shrug his shoulders and become more comfortable in going along with it.


What I'd personally like to see be the final scene of this anime is Yuuta getting back into "Dark Flame Master" character for just a minute or so, Riika going all sparkly-eyed and super-happy-blushy over it, and that being the final note of the show. I think that would be a cool way to end it.

But I don't think anything quite like that will happen until we're near or at the end. To me, it's kind of like putting Clark Kent into the Superman costume on the Smallville TV show - Once you go there, there's nowhere else left to go; the character arc has played itself out as far as it can.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 18:14   Link #1534
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quick question: has anyone checked out the Sparkling Daydream single? It seems to have a full version of INSIDE IDENTITY as well performed by the group ZAQ; I'm wondering if there will still be a ED single release where Black Raison d'etre performs it? I've come to like that version, but this ZAQ version is pretty darned fantastic as well.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 18:23   Link #1535
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Quick question: has anyone checked out the Sparkling Daydream single? It seems to have a full version of INSIDE IDENTITY as well performed by the group ZAQ; I'm wondering if there will still be a ED single release where Black Raison d'etre performs it? I've come to like that version, but this ZAQ version is pretty darned fantastic as well.
Yes. It would be very odd if the ED single wasn't released.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 18:31   Link #1536
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Yes. It would be very odd if the ED single wasn't released.
Eh, I've just seen OP and ED singles combined into one before, so I was wondering if this was the version they went with.

Thanks for the info, it's good to hear.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 18:32   Link #1537
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax Send a message via Skype™ to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Quick question: has anyone checked out the Sparkling Daydream single? It seems to have a full version of INSIDE IDENTITY as well performed by the group ZAQ; I'm wondering if there will still be a ED single release where Black Raison d'etre performs it? I've come to like that version, but this ZAQ version is pretty darned fantastic as well.
ZAQ is a solo artist and has composed/arranged/written lyrics for all the songs in this series. She self-covered the ED on her single likely for the thrill of it.
__________________

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 18:34   Link #1538
Hiroi Sekai
Minna no ojou-sama~♥
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna, British Columbia
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to Hiroi Sekai
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
ZAQ is a solo artist and has composed/arranged/written lyrics for all the songs in this series. She self-covered the ED on her single likely for the thrill of it.
Ya learn somethin' new every day. I'll be listening to this version a lot until the other version is released.
__________________
Hiroi Sekai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 18:43   Link #1539
Unknown Soldier
:D
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Huh, the Sparkling Daydream single. I suppose if I surf the wavelengths of the Electric Ocean I could resonate with it.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 18:49   Link #1540
Aquifina
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

However, I do think that his soon-to-be four female club-mates are all interested in him, hence why I went with the term "harem". But yeah, it's not really a harem anime because Rikka has already indicated clear leanings. There'll probably be a love triangle of sorts, but I doubt it goes beyond that.
Are they all really interested in him, though? Nap-girl strikes me as just along for the ride, and Rikka's sidekick is there for Rikka.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

What I'd personally like to see be the final scene of this anime is Yuuta getting back into "Dark Flame Master" character for just a minute or so, Riika going all sparkly-eyed and super-happy-blushy over it, and that being the final note of the show. I think that would be a cool way to end it.
Now that would be a truly brilliant ending, but the writers would have to construct a believable reason for him to do this.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, kyoto animation, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.