AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Chuunibyou

Notices

Old 2012-10-20, 19:08   Link #1541
Kaoru Chujo
Uchida Maaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
...What I'd personally like to see be the final scene of this anime is Yuuta getting back into "Dark Flame Master" character for just a minute or so, Riika going all sparkly-eyed and super-happy-blushy over it, and that being the final note of the show. I think that would be a cool way to end it....
They came pretty close to this at the end of ep1, didn't they? Although he only made one Dark Flame Master move and then got tsundere, and she just grunted happily with a soft warmth in her eyes. The show could certainly end with the more wholehearted version you envisage.

I like just about every character in this show, but Yuuta and Rikka are the main couple and I hope and believe they will end up together. I look forward to seeing Shinka evolve in a way that allows Yuuta to love Rikka -- and to accept his chuuni former self.
Uchida Maaya 内田真礼 2010 (3 roles). 2011 (7 roles) Mari (Yuruyuri), Alluka Zoldyk (HxH). 2012 (19 roles) Izumi (Space Pirates), Sanka Rea, Aoi (Akibaranger),Yuu (NakaImo), Rikka (Chuunibyou); 2013 (17) Mii (Ai Mai Mii), Mao (GJ Club), Rei (Vividred), Wakana (Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live), Hajime (Gatchaman), Koganuma (Outbreak Co.). 2014 (26) Futaba (Aoha Ride), Hiyori (Noragami), Sharo (Did You Order Rabbit?), Haruka (Rail Wars). 2015 (15) Ranko (Idolm@ster Cinderella), Haruka (World Break), Ririruka Ahde (Dungeon), Miyabi (Yamada-kun Witches).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2015 anime schedule - previews
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 19:14   Link #1542
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Ya learn somethin' new every day. I'll be listening to this version a lot until the other version is released.
Same. When I watched the ED on episode 3, I found that it has REALLY grown on me .
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 21:51   Link #1543
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
They came pretty close to this at the end of ep1, didn't they? Although he only made one Dark Flame Master move and then got tsundere, and she just grunted happily with a soft warmth in her eyes. The show could certainly end with the more wholehearted version you envisage.

I like just about every character in this show, but Yuuta and Rikka are the main couple and I hope and believe they will end up together. I look forward to seeing Shinka evolve in a way that allows Yuuta to love Rikka -- and to accept his chuuni former self.
I had almost forgotten about that scene, which I just looked at again, and was so poignant. When Rikka's sad/pleading, she seems less annoying or weird, and more like a little girl struggling to keep together her fascinating little fantasy world, in the face of, well, reality. I'm not sure I'd describe this as admirable, and it strikes me as pathetic at times, but I'm not sure I can blame her too much for wanting to delay the dreary reality of adulthood.

And it's promising that the normally dense Yuuta--too fixated at the moment on growing up and conforming to social expectations--actually understood where she was coming from at that important moment, and relented to the better angels of his nature. I'm disappointed he was so curt to her in refusing to formally join the club in ep. 3, and his denseness as to why she was so disconsolate about it--although I don't think one can really *blame* him for not wanting to join the club--but the scene you referenced is so much more promising. She's so obviously attached to him, and he's so oblivious to it that I actually find it somewhat annoying, even if, again, I can't really *blame* him, considering how annoying Rikka really can be from a practical standpoint. After all, despite her weirdness, Rikka strikes me as a sweet girl who deserves to find the right match for her. Of course, this could just be my weakness for moe.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 21:57   Link #1544
The Green One

Well the main part of the story will be Yuuta's gradual defrosting toward Rikka. He won't become a Chuni-byo again but strike more of a balance with it probably. That and trying to keep Rikka from going too deeply into her own world too often.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 22:00   Link #1545
Insane
Banned

Second OP is done (Chuuni X Fate/Zero) and this is The first
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 22:08   Link #1546
Aquifina

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Well the main part of the story will be Yuuta's gradual defrosting toward Rikka. He won't become a Chuni-byo again but strike more of a balance with it probably. That and trying to keep Rikka from going too deeply into her own world too often.
For me, if the writers can give me a convincing reason as to why Rikka is so afflicted with Chuni-byo, and show Yuuta coming to understand her (and himself) better, this series can go from being fun and entertaining (which it already is), to something I'd actually remember beyond the gorgeous gobs of moe we've already seen. I also think there needs to some balancing of Rikka's character, which verges at times on being downright annoying, although there are enough comic moments so far to keep that problem at bay.
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 22:23   Link #1547
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
ROFL! Looks a little strange when there are so many scenes from the same fight but it can't be helped.
Old 2012-10-20, 22:24   Link #1548
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquifina View Post
For me, if the writers can give me a convincing reason as to why Rikka is so afflicted with Chuni-byo, and show Yuuta coming to understand her (and himself) better, this series can go from being fun and entertaining (which it already is), to something I'd actually remember beyond the gorgeous gobs of moe we've already seen. I also think there needs to some balancing of Rikka's character, which verges at times on being downright annoying, although there are enough comic moments so far to keep that problem at bay.
I'd be cautious against such expectation. After all, it is made clear several times that this is a rometic comedy. Being the project right after Hyouka can skewed our expectation I guess. I'm not saying that you (and me) can't hope, but I would not hold it against the show if it decide not to touch that subject.
Hyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 22:34   Link #1549
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Is chuunibyou the sort of thing which the Japanese think needs a cause? I wonder if, because the concept is new to (some of) us, some of us think there needs to be a reason for chuunibyou. If the Japanese think chuunibyou is the sort of thing that just happens, we might not get an explanation. If it's the sort of thing that generally has a cause, we probably will by the climax.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 22:41   Link #1550
Chaos2Frozen
"What is it you desire?"

If there's a 'cause', it's probably going to be no bigger than getting really into a certain show that she has seen and thought was cool- Taking examples from Kuroneko and Kobato of course

I think people like Aquifina, who goes into this thinking that chuunibyou is a sort of coping mechanism for some trauma are going to be disappointed.

"The blood makes us human... Makes us more than human... Makes us human no more..."
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 22:56   Link #1551
Gpower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
Is chuunibyou the sort of thing which the Japanese think needs a cause? I wonder if, because the concept is new to (some of) us, some of us think there needs to be a reason for chuunibyou. If the Japanese think chuunibyou is the sort of thing that just happens, we might not get an explanation. If it's the sort of thing that generally has a cause, we probably will by the climax.
Cause? I think it's reasonable to assume that chuunibyou in the form Rikka and other characters are displaying is almost certainly caused by an overexposure to media of the style similar to shonen action manga.
Gpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 23:35   Link #1552
SoloPanda
Not A Loli-con....

Wanting to be cool, wanting attention; watching/reading Vampire Knight, Darker Than Black, or any other anime/manga; are all perfectly good causes of chuunibyo. Heck I've seen some IRL and they where pretty normal kids that just played pretend a little too long which is something they will regret for the rest of their lives.
SoloPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-20, 23:57   Link #1553
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
It's natural to want to be special, and many of us certainly are. It's important to aspire to be too since it provides the emotional push to get people to work toward greatness.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 01:43   Link #1554
risingstar3110
The sexy Kongou

Chuunibyou does happen in real life. As around Rikka age, i remember spending time playing sword fight with my friend using umbrella. It was embarrassing like hell by the end of it (especially if there was any unknown spectators) but when you get into it, you don't worry much about anything else. It's like a role-playing game for the fun of it

The situation is of course worse in this anime, as these teens kept hyping up each others role-playing act. Four of them already in that club alone Rikka, Shinka, Yuuta, Sanae and who know how many still out there. It will be like anime otaku, who if by themselves won't dare to step out of the line, but if can get to know an anime community, they will start to declare waifu, cos-playing, earning nickname and writing fanfict for the heck of it
Old 2012-10-21, 01:53   Link #1555
Kaoru Chujo
Uchida Maaya

I think Rikka and Yuuta's form of chuunibyou is only one form. There could be forms based on all kinds of things, from gangster to rocker to beauty queen to sports star to science nerd. And they could all be bridges to maturity or paths to hell.
Uchida Maaya 内田真礼 2010 (3 roles). 2011 (7 roles) Mari (Yuruyuri), Alluka Zoldyk (HxH). 2012 (19 roles) Izumi (Space Pirates), Sanka Rea, Aoi (Akibaranger),Yuu (NakaImo), Rikka (Chuunibyou); 2013 (17) Mii (Ai Mai Mii), Mao (GJ Club), Rei (Vividred), Wakana (Pretty Rhythm Rainbow Live), Hajime (Gatchaman), Koganuma (Outbreak Co.). 2014 (26) Futaba (Aoha Ride), Hiyori (Noragami), Sharo (Did You Order Rabbit?), Haruka (Rail Wars). 2015 (15) Ranko (Idolm@ster Cinderella), Haruka (World Break), Ririruka Ahde (Dungeon), Miyabi (Yamada-kun Witches).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | spring 2015 anime schedule - previews
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 03:28   Link #1556
Tsundere Louise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Images
Not safe for heart
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
S-So cute... O.O It's like Hanamaru Kindergarten... a Chuunibyo Kindergarten!
Old 2012-10-21, 03:40   Link #1557
sky black swordman

^ I was think the same thing, but I could not remember the name of that series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulfo View Post
Images
Not safe for heart
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I wonder which one is his ? Or are they all his kids.
Old 2012-10-21, 04:14   Link #1558
The Green One

Nope, he's just the badly battered babysitter.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-21, 05:26   Link #1559
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky black swordman View Post
I wonder which one is his ? Or are they all his kids.
Well, if they were, they'd be carbon copies of their mothers, then.

Also, that would mean that he had knocked up all the main girls, and that he'd have to support them all.
Old 2012-10-21, 08:06   Link #1560
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I think Rikka and Yuuta's form of chuunibyou is only one form. There could be forms based on all kinds of things, from gangster to rocker to beauty queen to sports star to science nerd. And they could all be bridges to maturity or paths to hell.
That's correct. The chuunibyou in this show, Rintaro and Feris from Steins;Gate as well as Kuroneko from Oreimo, are all Jakigan (evil eye) type.

The make-believe and overboard roleplay traits are only part of this particular kind and do not define the chuunibyou phenomenon as a whole.

The only common denominator is that they want to assert themselves as better than they peers, thus adopting pretentious anticonformist behaviors.

Note for example how Yuuta overglorifies the fact of being "normal" as a reaction to what he once was.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chuunibyou, drama, kyoto animation, romance, romantic comedy, school, seinen