AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-12-29, 15:57   Link #1
solomon

Anybody seen or watching the Looney Tunes show?

I've been dipping into it recently, it's surprisingly OKAY.

OK originally i was livid on them "destroying" the characters but that was before I had seen it. And while watching it I came to realize, people just don't like it because it's different. But that doesn't keep people from liking new Batmans or Star Trek's or that Pony show, so....

Anyways, the show is decently funny. Animation is too stale, Daffy's played a little to much and over all the show is a little TOO sedate but it's fairly charming once you get used to it.

They reuse the classic characters decently and the char designs are pretty nice. Plus it's easy to get into if you're older (not big on Adventure Time type stuff anymore) cause it just shows Bugs and Daffy as two dudes getting into crazy antics which in a way some of the old shorts used to do just in a different manner.

Kirsten Wiig is HILARIOUS as Lola. nuff said.

And also there is this piece of pure awesomeness;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Oe7Q8OCm5I

Anyways, I give it a modest recommendation. It takes some getting used to but you may be suprised if you keep an open mind (emphasis on open mind tho)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 16:28   Link #2
CMHerrera
Miss. Fangirl
*Graphic Designer

Location: In a land where Shota's and Bishounens live in a vast land full of suger filled meadows.
Send a message via Skype™ to CMHerrera
I wasn't so sure at first I was hoping they wasn't gonna ruin the characters like you said but I began to like it. I'm glad that because of it, it shows the older shows. I missed watching bugs bunny

Lola made me laugh haha I didn't expect her to be played like that. I mean have you seen Space Jam?

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMHerrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 16:48   Link #3
solomon

Yea but she's much more interesting here, Lola just seemed like a thing the execs tacked onto the movie so they could push some girl merch.
Old 2011-12-29, 16:52   Link #4
Kyuu
=^^=

A Wizard Daffy? He's not supposed to be "awesome". He's supposed to be that stupid jerk - nobody likes.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 16:52   Link #5
CMHerrera
Miss. Fangirl
*Graphic Designer

Location: In a land where Shota's and Bishounens live in a vast land full of suger filled meadows.
Send a message via Skype™ to CMHerrera
I forgot its name but that big red monster that lives with the witch. His voice threw me off, I love the witches voice actor though.

CM-san's Mystical Creations

"The one who can win
against me, is me!"

- Daiki Aomine
CMHerrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 18:10   Link #6
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
A Wizard Daffy? He's not supposed to be "awesome". He's supposed to be that stupid jerk - nobody likes.
Oh don't worry, he is a really stupid jerk that nobody likes, he's a flat out douchebag up to the 11th notch. The Melodies are just added outtakes, so to speak.

I love it, but a common complaint is that the characters just aren't looney enough. I actually understand that complaint, Looney Tunes were based a the best that slapstick had to offer, this show is more. . .sitcomish.

And I don't like the fact there aren't enough episodes focusing on Bugs. I would say that the creators have a love affair to Daffy similar to what Bruce Timm/Paul Dini had on Batman over the other DC Heroes.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 22:07   Link #7
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

It's not Looney Tunes if it's more Sitcom then Slapstick.

Animaniacs was closer in concept to the original Looney Tunes, like this or this
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 22:14   Link #8
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
On the bright side, at least this keeps Looney Tunes from being lost forever. However, what I consider to be the real Looney Tunes... has rather unfortunately been lost forever, if this show is anything to go by. Warning bells went off in my head when I first saw the designs, and it simply went downhill from there.

Then again, to be fair... what they got away with in the original series they probably could never get away with today. Damn political correctness...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-29, 23:22   Link #9
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Ya I watch it and its just as funny as the original one

Daffy Duck is all ways awesome
Old 2011-12-30, 00:42   Link #10
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well as an animator I'm quite disappointed in the animation of this show, it completely lacks the liveliness and dynamism of the early 20th century Looney Tunes.

Where's the squash and stretch, the snap in the gestures, exaggerated full body expressions and sharp timing? Even at times the proportions of the characters seem to change drastically, clearly showing the difference in the drawing skill of different animators. The characters themselves also lost alot of their personality and trademark expressions.

Well this is just from an animators point of view on the animation itself, most of the time the technique in animation don't seem to bother the audience too much.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 00:47   Link #11
Ithekro
Space Battlecarrier

Daffy was always awesome....in his own mind. He's also the hero in his own mind (Duck Dodgers?)
Old 2011-12-30, 01:24   Link #12
solomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Well as an animator I'm quite disappointed in the animation of this show, it completely lacks the liveliness and dynamism of the early 20th century Looney Tunes.

Where's the squash and stretch, the snap in the gestures, exaggerated full body expressions and sharp timing? Even at times the proportions of the characters seem to change drastically, clearly showing the difference in the drawing skill of different animators. The characters themselves also lost alot of their personality and trademark expressions.

Well this is just from an animators point of view on the animation itself, most of the time the technique in animation don't seem to bother the audience too much.
From an artistic poiint of view I agree.

However I'm gonna tell you right now, that franky you can't have high expectations about animation production anymore. At least for TV. Budgets are much smaller than they were in the 90s and frankly, well this is the best people are going to be able to do.

Plus rating it against the originals are harsh because this is for tv whle they were for the movies.
Old 2011-12-30, 03:56   Link #13
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Daffy Duck the Wizard Rocks!
Old 2011-12-30, 04:02   Link #14
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

?? is this about a new version of the looney tunes show???
Old 2011-12-30, 04:21   Link #15
solomon

It's a bout the recent reversioning of the characters in a show produced by Warner Bros. for Cartoon Network.

It's already on in US Canada and Latin America, will probably be on in Europe come the new year.

If the show had some more visual PUNCH then it'd be pretty good.
Old 2011-12-30, 07:56   Link #16
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
The only problem I have with the show...

is Lola actually.

She annoys the heck out of me.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-30, 08:16   Link #17
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
From an artistic poiint of view I agree.

However I'm gonna tell you right now, that franky you can't have high expectations about animation production anymore. At least for TV. Budgets are much smaller than they were in the 90s and frankly, well this is the best people are going to be able to do.

Plus rating it against the originals are harsh because this is for tv whle they were for the movies.
I don't buy the budget argument so much, as American TV budgets are still much higher then what Anime gets. Sure Anime gets it's share of off-modelling and bad animation, but it still manages to look good.

That said, Anime covers up it's animation deficiencies with it's style, this version of the Looney Tunes has to live up to the old Cartoon style, but with a much lowered budget.

On the other hand, the Hanna Barbera cartoons had terrible budgets and a lot of lazy animation (how about all those collars?), and still managed to have some of the "Punch" that the Looney Tunes had. Likewise you had the Road Runner show, which also probably had to deal with a low budget.

I just wish we could get back some of the quality we saw in the Animation "Revival" of the 90s. Nothing produced in the West today matches up with Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, Johnny Bravo, early Simpsons etc. etc.
Old 2011-12-30, 13:04   Link #18
solomon

I don't think it has to live up to the original style as long as it has style. The design is nice but the posing and animation needs to be more engaging. If it does that It'd be B+ now it's like B-.

Also one thing that constantly gets me is how out of place this show feels sometimes on CN's line up. Like next to stuff like Gumball and Adventure Time.

Producers Spike Brandt and Tony Cervrone keep saying this is aimed at 6-11 year olds but it's hard for me to see it based on in the feel of the show. It feels more like "we made it so that 6-11 year olds" CAN watch it, but just watching this most recent episode (Beauty School) made me feel like...............how are 6-11 year old supposed to relate to this 20 something type shit?

Maybe that's why Daffy is such a centerpiece in the show and in the shows advertising.

On the one hand a contemporary CN show Regular Show has a bit of a same problem. It's about two 20 something year old slackers just doing random shit (like messing around on the job), but regular show has these wierdass surreal elements to it. My fellow 20 something mates like Regular Show cause we can relate to it kinda, but that crazy element seems to be there to help placate the kids.

Rocko's Modern Life was like that too. When I was a kid I liked it for all it's craziness. But as an adult I can appreciate the satire more, cause Rocko and his gang are all 20 something dudes just living. It just was more energetic and unhinged than TLTS is.

I think that the show just needs some more energy, which is why I like watching Lola so much. Her actress and her character give the show the energy it needs more of.

Hopefully, that will come later as the show evolves. That's the thing about sitcoms, they evolve.
Old 2011-12-30, 18:06   Link #19
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The thing is, the writers are making a show they can relate to, as 20 somethings. But not something their target demographic can relate to. If you take Tiny toons, that is something kids could relate to, and it was also something parents could find funny.

The only time where I've seen a cartoon show about "twenty something" main characters that kids could explicitly enjoy, it was Johnny Bravo, and that had some very wacky plots and a little kid for younger viewers to identify with. Not only that, but Johnny himself was something of a manchild anyway. The characters here are not manchildren, they're just eccentric adults.

They've basically tried to make the cartoon equivalent of Seinfeld, when most kids could never get Seinfeld. The plotlines in Seinfeld were not relatable to kids.

For instance I saw an episode there online, which consisted of Daffy asking a girl on a date, being inept, and Lola going stalkery on him. I found it mildly amusing, but the relationship humour there would go way over kids heads. Kids don't understand stalking, and they don't particularly understand date ettiquette. So the core humour isn't there for them. Kids can "get" the way Johnny Bravo's pickup lines are lame, because it's a very obvious thing, they can't get humour that riffs on etiquette, because they don't know all the rules of etiquette themselves. They might reasonably assume that both characters are not doing anything particularly wrong.

I don't mean to say that kids aren't capable of appreciating sophisticated humour (they are), but that humour can't be using as a basis social rules that are only learned after childhood.

The simpsons at it's peak did it really well, as they always had both broad slapstick and more sophisticated satire in the same episode. They hit all the humour levels at once, and so the show appealed to a broad audience.
Old 2011-12-30, 18:59   Link #20
solomon

You make good points.

Then again, the show is getting around 2 million a week which is in line with what the other shows on CN are doing so obviously kids are watching.

It's times like this that I realized being well read and educated about animation some times works against me in that I constantly for get that most shows (while sometimes having genuine crossover appeal) are really made for people half my age.

Also while it may depend on the age, there has been an oft made observation that kids are much more smart and less naive than we take them for. You ever notice that lil girl who looks like she's 8 but can talk like she's twelve and it kinda rubbed you the wrong way? Like she was too smart for her own good. Not all kids are like that but with the internet nowadays, you can't sell kids short like you probably could a generation or so ago.

Anyways, the show seems to be doing good for Warners and I hope it continues to improve in the future.