AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-12, 22:13   Link #2241
Marly
>AS
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
I think it has to be an affection greater than that shared between good friends or family. If only a "friend" level amount of affection is required, a lot of problem and embarrassment can be avoided. In addition, Shidou's relationship with sealed spirits so far usually start off in the "friend" zone by default: as the first human to really try to communicate and understand their trouble.
If your definition of a 'friend' is just a guy starting a conversation with you while you were alone during recess, then I don't know what to tell you. I certainly don't think talking to some friendless guy would make me their 'friend.' I'm just some random guy who decided to talk to that friendless guy. Your point regarding this makes no logical sense at all to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
One of the reason, imo, of why Shidou's relationship with the heroines are in a stalemate (or rather, barely progressed at all, I guess I choice a terrible word) is because of the "new heroine of the volume" format.
It's a gradual progression- I'd prefer slower, but certain character development than some half-assed rushed character development that comes out of nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Thus the "main couple" seat in my eyes is still up for grab. I will not be surprised if Shidou becomes romantically attached to a 3rd person, but tries to maintain a partner (in spirit capture) relationship with Tohka (this I explained in an earlier post why I thought would make things interesting).
I honestly don't see this happening. At all. Not only would that be a bad writing since Shidou doesn't have any reason to be romantically attached to anyone else other than Tohka/Origami at this point in the series, but it would just completely trivialize all the moments he shared with those characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
I think the root of the recent discussion on this page lies in how we define terms such as "love" (ie: fall in love can simply be "become good friends" for some)/symbol of the date and kiss (ie: does the spirit need romantic feelings towards Shidou for the sealing to work?), what is comedy and what is not.
I know perfectly what is comedy and what is not- Some people are just claiming that the ratio of comedy completely outweighs that of serious plot for some reason. Like, claiming half of Yoshino/Kurumi's arc being 'comedic' moments involving the arc characters is just objectively incorrect.
Marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 22:56   Link #2242
kagato3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marly View Post
So you're now saying this is a comedy because the method in which the protagonist utilizes to save people/Spirits from suffering/dying is different from a typical shounen? Are you joking? A show like Hataraku Maou-sama is obviously comedy- There is certainly a serious issue at hand, but the main plot revolves around Maou having to live with his underling while enduring wacky everyday life events, not him having to save people from certain death. Don't bring up Strawman. And I also don't see how just because some "Japanesee" sites listed something as romcom necessarily constitutes the show as romcom. It's just about as accurate as Funimation labeling this show as 'romcom.'



I don't think you're reading half the posts you're making. Just earlier you said I was overblowing the conflict and that it was her massacring the AST, and now you're conceding to my point that she wasn't the one attacking. No, seriously- You're being quite incomprehensible.

I mean, look at your own post here:

Spoiler:




I personally thought in the second volume, Yoshino constantly being chased by AST and her showing how detached she was from the society was COMEDIC. In fact, I also loved the part when she lost her doll and went out of control due to the psychological torment she was having because she didn't have something to channel her split personality to cheer herself up with. Tohka destroying the ground was pretty hilarious too because that accidental kissing scene of Shidou and Yoshino was just so wacky! Silly Tohka. I also loved the part Kurumi killed those kids, and those delinquents, and... No, seriously. I don't think you've read the light novels. At all. In fact, I won't be surprised if you were one of those people that just look at the pretty pictures, read the brief summaries and called it a day.
Ok now I know youre trolling and this will be my last post, acknowing you. by the way one of those "Japanesee" sites listed it as a romcom was the publishers site. I think they have a fairly good idea what the series is.
__________________
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.

kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 23:01   Link #2243
Marly
>AS
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagato3 View Post
Ok now I know youre trolling and this will be my last post. by the way one of those "Japanesee" sites listed it as a romcom was the publishers site. I think they have a fairly good idea what the series is.
So you were unable to make a single viable point and/or rebuttal other than "Because this site says so or because this someone says so" and accuse me of being a troll? Quite rude. But nonetheless, concession accepted.
Marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 23:44   Link #2244
Flying Dagger
大巧不工
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marly View Post
If your definition of a 'friend' is just a guy starting a conversation with you while you were alone during recess, then I don't know what to tell you. I certainly don't think talking to some friendless guy would make me their 'friend.' I'm just some random guy who decided to talk to that friendless guy. Your point regarding this makes no logical sense at all to me.
Remember the spirits are not just this friendless guy during recess. Tohka and Yoshino have been there and lonely for a while and know of nothing but humans who take aggressive actions towards them.

I guess to be more exact, I see it more like this (with Tohka and Yoshino - and to a certain extend, Yamai sisters, the other spirits have very unique cases):
First meeting with Shidou: non-aggressive human. Neutral zone.
Additional meeting with Shidou: Shidou reaches out to them. They accept him and friendship is established.
Date+Conquest: Shidou gains more affection from the spirit. Spirit begins to develop romantic feelings towards Shidou.


I am not going to force my definitely of "friend" onto anyone. As such I also do not think questioning other people's definition makes good argument.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marly View Post
I honestly don't see this happening. At all. Not only would that be a bad writing since Shidou doesn't have any reason to be romantically attached to anyone else other than Tohka/Origami at this point in the series, but it would just completely trivialize all the moments he shared with those characters.
As of end of vol5 I do not see a reason for Shidou to be attached to Tohka or Origami either (with reasons stated in recent posts). Shidou does not have show any romantic reaction towards Origami's aggressive advances, and from my point of view his compliant over Tohka's desires is based on not wanting her emotion to go wild which lead to a backflow of spirit power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marly View Post
I know perfectly what is comedy and what is not- Some people are just claiming that the ratio of comedy completely outweighs that of serious plot for some reason. Like, claiming half of Yoshino/Kurumi's arc being 'comedic' moments involving the arc characters is just objectively incorrect.
What is comedic to you may not be so for others, and vice versa. Everyone are entitled to their own opinion.

Fortunately the LN seem to contain enough comedy to "have something for everyone".
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 00:41   Link #2245
kazzuya13
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Remember the spirits are not just this friendless guy during recess. Tohka and Yoshino have been there and lonely for a while and know of nothing but humans who take aggressive actions towards them.

I guess to be more exact, I see it more like this (with Tohka and Yoshino - and to a certain extend, Yamai sisters, the other spirits have very unique cases):
First meeting with Shidou: non-aggressive human. Neutral zone.
Additional meeting with Shidou: Shidou reaches out to them. They accept him and friendship is established.
Date+Conquest: Shidou gains more affection from the spirit. Spirit begins to develop romantic feelings towards Shidou.


I am not going to force my definitely of "friend" onto anyone. As such I also do not think questioning other people's definition makes good argument.




As of end of vol5 I do not see a reason for Shidou to be attached to Tohka or Origami either (with reasons stated in recent posts). Shidou does not have show any romantic reaction towards Origami's aggressive advances, and from my point of view his compliant over Tohka's desires is based on not wanting her emotion to go wild which lead to a backflow of spirit power.



What is comedic to you may not be so for others, and vice versa. Everyone are entitled to their own opinion.

Fortunately the LN seem to contain enough comedy to "have something for everyone".
The only ones who can truly state what genre a literature truly is are the author and the label they get publish.
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 02:36   Link #2246
Marly
>AS
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
Remember the spirits are not just this friendless guy during recess. Tohka and Yoshino have been there and lonely for a while and know of nothing but humans who take aggressive actions towards them.
You're right. It's actually worse. I don't know how your social psychology exactly operates, but someone who is normally distrusting of others and cautious wouldn't consider someone else who reaches out to them all of the sudden and being "non-aggressive" as exactly neutral or friendly, at all. In fact, that would be even more scummy, depending on the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
As of end of vol5 I do not see a reason for Shidou to be attached to Tohka or Origami either (with reasons stated in recent posts). Shidou does not have show any romantic reaction towards Origami's aggressive advances, and from my point of view his compliant over Tohka's desires is based on not wanting her emotion to go wild which lead to a backflow of spirit power.
I think you missed the part Shidou has promised Tohka that he will save all the Spirits that were like her and how she helps him pursue that goal actively. The fact that she was the first Spirit ever that Shidou managed to help and that she's an active partner shows that she is definitely more significant to Shidou than what your "point of view" makes her out to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dagger View Post
What is comedic to you may not be so for others, and vice versa. Everyone are entitled to their own opinion. Fortunately the LN seem to contain enough comedy to "have something for everyone".
You say that, yet I haven't seen anything that constituted as comedy at all that apparently occupy half of the arc involving the central arc character.


That being said, I'm done with this argument for now- It's obviously going nowhere, and it really doesn't matter what it's labeled as in the end. I already made my point, and I doubt I'll be convinced otherwise anytime soon. Besides, I'd rather discuss about something else like the actual plot(tm) than discussing about the literary structure of this series.
Marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 11:12   Link #2247
rvlast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Well, gg me.

Just preordered the game for the PS3 (and on a side note, the Neptunia PP as well).

I hate Compile Heart now, they take my money T_T
__________________
rvlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 12:50   Link #2248
Ultragunner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
This may be off-topic but after watching the anime, I surfed through FB a bit and realized that Kurumi has quite a number of fans. I dare say she could stand toe-to-toe with Tohka, Though I doubt many of them actually read the LN,

However, what surprises me the most is that they know Kurumi is a psycho, . Well, can't blame them, I'm her fan as well LOL
__________________
Ultragunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 13:02   Link #2249
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 24
Kurumi is an awesome Yandere character lol
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 13:07   Link #2250
kazzuya13
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
For most parts Yandere is already greater than Tsundere cause many on have already grown tired of Tsundere characters.
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 13:08   Link #2251
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 24
I think Tsundere is overused, but it can't be helped as it is one of the characteristics of a character in every anime/manga/novel series >_<

Yandere is awesome 8D
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 13:34   Link #2252
malason13
Forsaken
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Yandere's are the new in..
__________________
<font color=Indigo><b>The fruit of a forbidden Love</b></font>



The Beloved Occult Research Club

malason13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 13:36   Link #2253
Algester
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
This may be off-topic but after watching the anime, I surfed through FB a bit and realized that Kurumi has quite a number of fans. I dare say she could stand toe-to-toe with Tohka, Though I doubt many of them actually read the LN,

However, what surprises me the most is that they know Kurumi is a psycho, . Well, can't blame them, I'm her fan as well LOL
I showed Kurumi's picture to some of my contacts they liked her instantlly... and I havent added the psycho bitch for hire part... made me assume her character design alone is powerful enough... must be fetish... hmmm... I think she is a fetish attendant...
Algester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 15:17   Link #2254
Miraluka
Even after hope's lost...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
People just like yanderes, and even more when they are balanced.
__________________
Your last hope!
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 15:43   Link #2255
Flying Dagger
大巧不工
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I think my liking towards Kurumi originate from beyond the Yandere caste.

Her introduction was epic and it rivals Origami's boldness, so she scored quite a few points off the bat.

As I progress with the story, Kurumi strikes me as a character with more depth than the rest of the cast in DAL. She is on a mission and is willing to sacrifice a lot for it. In a way she lives up to the "berserk" in her name than the Yamai sisters who people refer to as berserkers. She seem to possess high degrees of intelligence to be really calculating as well.

She also displayed a moment of cruel kindness: how she chose to "eat" the delinquents torturing the kitten, so maybe her victims aren't necessary clean either. (Sure, she threatened to kill the whole school but everyone came out "alive"). After that scene I wondered why she truly allowed "herself" to be killed by Mana repeatedly: is she really just toying with her, or is it Kurumi's way to show kindness towards Mana?

I also really like her design: a time-travelling gunner in a gothic dress.
Flying Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 15:46   Link #2256
Marly
>AS
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I don't think you people know what "yandere" exactly means.

Yangire would be the actual accurate term.
Marly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 21:05   Link #2257
Scarletknive
Meister
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhwa View Post
I think Tsundere is overused, but it can't be helped as it is one of the characteristics of a character in every anime/manga/novel series >_<

Yandere is awesome 8D
I dont think is the overusage of Tsundere, I think is the stress used on it.(Tsundere is popular, but overusing it is not popular.) Also, I do agree to some people here about Kurumi.

I believe this video goes here too?

Spoiler for Game:


Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlast View Post
Well, gg me.

Just preordered the game for the PS3 (and on a side note, the Neptunia PP as well).

I hate Compile Heart now, they take my money T_T
I also want preorder, but then, I think I will blow a hole in my pocket if I buy... (Wanted 3 games, 2 on Vita and this one.)
__________________

Last edited by Scarletknive; 2013-04-13 at 21:21.
Scarletknive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 21:30   Link #2258
rvlast
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarletknive View Post
I dont think is the overusage of Tsundere, I think is the stress used on it.(Tsundere is popular, but overusing it is not popular.) Also, I do agree to some people here about Kurumi.

I believe this video goes here too?

Spoiler for Game:




I also want preorder, but then, I think I will blow a hole in my pocket if I buy... (Wanted 3 games, 2 on Vita and this one.)
Plutia/Iris Heart is Rinne?

Spoiler:
__________________
rvlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 23:38   Link #2259
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marly View Post
I don't think you people know what "yandere" exactly means.

Yangire would be the actual accurate term.
This. She hasn't shown any signs of dere apart from flirting with Shidou, but it's not any actual romantic attachment.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 00:50   Link #2260
kazzuya13
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
I think by appearance alone Kurumi has charmed many fans. She looks like a high class beauty and in her astral dress that looks like from a Goth loli fashion gives her even more appealing.
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, angelic spirits, comedy, drama, fantasia bunko, harem, light novel, romance, science fiction, shounen, tragedy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.