AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2015-05-12, 19:57   Link #1
OminousFlare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Send a message via Skype™ to OminousFlare
Mad Max: Fury Road

You have threads dedicated to multiple MCU movies like Age of Ultron, and not a single thread on the best action movie this decade? What's the matter with you?

Frankly speaking, I haven't watched it. It isn't released in my country till tomorrow. But man, the hype I've been hearing could easily top any Marvel hype. Usually, I'd be cautious about this sort of thing, but I like Chris' reviews, and I trust him. He was pretty spot-on with The Babadook, as well as that one video he made about the decline of quality action movies in our current generation.

From what I have seen, Charlize Theron looks like she's going to steal the show, despite being a 'Mad Max' movie. After the "Road Warrior", which I've only seen not too long ago, I'm pretty excited about seeing another 'milestone' in cinematic history next to Raiders of the Lost Ark and Judgement Day. Woo, I can't wait already!

So yeah, discuss and hype it up and stuff, whatever it is you all do with movie topics around here.
__________________
OminousFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 20:31   Link #2
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 33
I've been hearing from a lot of places that this movie is the shit. It's scoring something like 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. TBH, when I first heard of it I wasn't terribly impressed, some of the decisions they made for it turned me off (although apparently they reversed some of those choices after much public outcry). Now though, I'm actually quite keen to see it.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-12, 20:47   Link #3
OminousFlare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Send a message via Skype™ to OminousFlare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
TBH, when I first heard of it I wasn't terribly impressed, some of the decisions they made for it turned me off (although apparently they reversed some of those choices after much public outcry). Now though, I'm actually quite keen to see it.
Yeah, same here. I'm pretty cynical when it comes to modern movies, and this one was no exception. The initial trailers looked like a lot of fun, but it didn't really peg me as something that might be the 'best movie this year' or something, especially when it's a continuation of a movie franchise that ended more than a decade ago.

Now I'm still a bit cautious, but after hearing second opinions, I think I've got a better feeling about this. I think what ultimately won me over is Charlize Theron's character. From what I've heard about of her backstory, it seems like a pretty solid story. I'm kinda worried that the 'Max' in a 'Mad Max' movie wouldn't play as significant a role as he did in past Mad Max movies, but I guess I wouldn't mind him not playing a huge role if the story's good enough.
__________________
OminousFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-14, 08:10   Link #4
OminousFlare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Send a message via Skype™ to OminousFlare
Just came back from watching this. Chris Stuckman hyped it up a little too much when he called it "the best action movie of the decade". Don't get me wrong though, it's definitely pretty sweet in terms of its action and dialogues. I had a pretty great time watching it. But after the first Mad Max, which I still consider to be the most interesting and unique entry of the series (with its quirky villain and its multiple drama elements), I've never really seen a Mad Max movie that 'blows my mind' or anything of the sort, including Fury Road.

That being said, I still give it an 8/10. It's a solid action movie with great performances by both Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron. Tom, especially, I had initially thought he didn't quite fit as Max, but I ended up kinda liking his different take on the character by the end.

Nevertheless, as I've predicted, Charlize stole the show. As Jeremy Jahns said, this movie should be called "Furiosa Road" indeed. But that's to be expected from the award-winning actress after all.
__________________
OminousFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-14, 09:01   Link #5
Sheba
Weary
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Iwakawa base server
Age: 36
I feel like answering to the many who claimed that Mad Max Fury Road is a feminist movie. It's not true. The core themes of this movie is about reclaiming the humanity that a tyrannical and heinous political system (the one ruled by Immortan Joe) have snuffed. The titular Max, the Warboy Max, Furiosa and the women were all stripped of their humanity by Joe, through different means. And this crazy long chase, because the movie is one long chase sequence with a few breathers, is their long path of trials to reclaim what they have lost. I'll tell no more because it need to be seen.
__________________
<a rel=nofollow href=http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=959 target=_blank>Kancolle Social Group</a>
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-15, 14:54   Link #6
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Frosty Scandinavia
Age: 26
Went in expecting something mediocre with lots and lots of CGI.

Well, I wasn't aware of reality until I walked out of the cinema because jesus h christ the sheer NITROUSADRENALINENONSTOP THERE IS NO LINE WE'RE ALREADY PAST IT was god damn awesome.

It's Mad Max, alright. The good kind.
__________________

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-16, 00:01   Link #7
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminousFlare View Post
Just came back from watching this. Chris Stuckman hyped it up a little too much when he called it "the best action movie of the decade". Don't get me wrong though, it's definitely pretty sweet in terms of its action and dialogues. I had a pretty great time watching it. But after the first Mad Max, which I still consider to be the most interesting and unique entry of the series (with its quirky villain and its multiple drama elements), I've never really seen a Mad Max movie that 'blows my mind' or anything of the sort, including Fury Road.

That being said, I still give it an 8/10. It's a solid action movie with great performances by both Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron. Tom, especially, I had initially thought he didn't quite fit as Max, but I ended up kinda liking his different take on the character by the end.

Nevertheless, as I've predicted, Charlize stole the show. As Jeremy Jahns said, this movie should be called "Furiosa Road" indeed. But that's to be expected from the award-winning actress after all.
Since when were the Mad Max movies ever really about Max? He's just our eyes in the world, a board piece to be put into situations for us to witness the wasteland.
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-16, 04:55   Link #8
Sheba
Weary
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Iwakawa base server
Age: 36
I think only the first movie was really about Max. And arguably the second movie.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-16, 06:26   Link #9
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I feel like answering to the many who claimed that Mad Max Fury Road is a feminist movie. It's not true. The core themes of this movie is about reclaiming the humanity that a tyrannical and heinous political system (the one ruled by Immortan Joe) have snuffed. The titular Max, the Warboy Max, Furiosa and the women were all stripped of their humanity by Joe, through different means. And this crazy long chase, because the movie is one long chase sequence with a few breathers, is their long path of trials to reclaim what they have lost. I'll tell no more because it need to be seen.
People tend to remember the Mad Max series more for its action and setting, than for its social commentary. It's just that in this current wave of feminism, anything that puts females in a positive or negative light is magnified a lot.

I really want to see this movie after hearing so many positive reviews though. I was hesitant that the movie would do the franchise justice even though the trailers were so amazing.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-16, 08:45   Link #10
Sheba
Weary
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Iwakawa base server
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
People tend to remember the Mad Max series more for its action and setting, than for its social commentary. It's just that in this current wave of feminism, anything that puts females in a positive or negative light is magnified a lot.

I really want to see this movie after hearing so many positive reviews though. I was hesitant that the movie would do the franchise justice even though the trailers were so amazing.
Thats the thing, people who are afraid the movie became a mouthpiece for CoolSocialStandingOfTheMoment can watch it for what made them love Mad Max in the first place. And they should.
__________________
<a rel=nofollow href=http://forums.animesuki.com/group.php?groupid=959 target=_blank>Kancolle Social Group</a>
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-16, 13:41   Link #11
james0246
Senior Member
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: East Cupcake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I feel like answering to the many who claimed that Mad Max Fury Road is a feminist movie. It's not true. The core themes of this movie is about reclaiming the humanity that a tyrannical and heinous political system (the one ruled by Immortan Joe) have snuffed. The titular Max, the Warboy Max, Furiosa and the women were all stripped of their humanity by Joe, through different means. And this crazy long chase, because the movie is one long chase sequence with a few breathers, is their long path of trials to reclaim what they have lost. I'll tell no more because it need to be seen.
I generally do not think in terms of whether a film is feminist or not (characters are more often labeled as feminist rather than entire films), but I do not really see any real reason to dispute the obvious feminist storyline centered throughout the film.

While I agree with your analysis of the thematic elements of the story and characters, nothing you've said actually makes the film any less feminist. Immortan Joe's political system, however damaging it is to the men who live in it (and it is pretty damn awful), is still clearly patriarchal in origin and design. Subsequent, the women's desire to break free from such a system, especially to break free from the control placed on their reproductive freedom, is clearly a feminist story, as to is the mythological "Greenplace" that is run by and presumably ruled by women only.

At its heart feminism is the belief in the breakdown between previously existing stereotypes - a disruption of false binaries like male/female and masculine/feminine. It is the intersection of these labels that create unique characters, and Miller et al have managed to complete this very basic of character creations for Max and Furiosa as well as many of the secondary characters (I may have never learned the names of the other "breeders", but damn if they didn't have unique personalities - even if their definition only went as far as their individual main characteristic...I just wish their body shapes were a little more unique).

Bear in mind, feminist film theory is not based on whether a female character or a story espouses feminist philosophy, but whether a female character is a fully fleshed out character with desires and emotions separate from the supposed male lead. Furiosa and such characters clearly have such definition. Consequently, I have no problem labeling them or their story as feminist.

Last edited by james0246; 2015-05-16 at 17:03.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-17, 00:12   Link #12
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post

Bear in mind, feminist film theory is not based on whether a female character or a story espouses feminist philosophy, but whether a female character is a fully fleshed out character with desires and emotions separate from the supposed male lead. Furiosa and such characters clearly have such definition. Consequently, I have no problem labeling them or their story as feminist.
You're talking about the good feminists I hope. or else I'd have to say that they will hate every thing about it and cry that they each didn't get any backstory.



Anyway, Movie was amazing! <3ed the old bags XD I always love old bad asses!
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-17, 00:30   Link #13
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 33
I just wish people would go see movies for the sake of enjoying them, and not take in universe story stuff and extrapolate some real life commentary from it and go bat shit offend-o-tron mode.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-17, 01:59   Link #14
sunset
Twilight Impersonator
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: a zoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminousFlare View Post
the first Mad Max, which I still consider to be the most interesting and unique entry of the series (with its quirky villain and its multiple drama elements
I'm sure you're well aware that Toecutter and Immortan are played by the same actor. ^_^
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-17, 04:18   Link #15
OminousFlare
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Send a message via Skype™ to OminousFlare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Since when were the Mad Max movies ever really about Max? He's just our eyes in the world, a board piece to be put into situations for us to witness the wasteland.
The first Mad Max wasn't really like that, and arguably the second one too. Both of those, as I remember, were about this badass motherf***er Road Warrior who's the badass of the badass, pinned against an army of crazed psychopaths and yet still able to walk out of there like the badass he is. That's classic '80s badass formula right there.

Fury Road... lacked a lot of that same badassery. 'Coz the '80s was dead, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset View Post
I'm sure you're well aware that Toecutter and Immortan are played by the same actor. ^_^
'Fo sure? I didn't know that.
Spoiler for Story Spoiler:
I don't know. Compared to Toecutter, Immortan looks like a super villain who walked off the set of a Marvel movie. Ronan the Accuser all over again.
__________________
OminousFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-17, 05:10   Link #16
Sheba
Weary
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Iwakawa base server
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by OminousFlare View Post
The first Mad Max wasn't really like that, and arguably the second one too. Both of those, as I remember, were about this badass motherf***er Road Warrior who's the badass of the badass, pinned against an army of crazed psychopaths and yet still able to walk out of there like the badass he is. That's classic '80s badass formula right there.

Fury Road... lacked a lot of that same badassery. 'Coz the '80s was dead, I suppose.


'Fo sure? I didn't know that.
Spoiler for Story Spoiler:
I don't know. Compared to Toecutter, Immortan looks like a super villain who walked off the set of a Marvel movie. Ronan the Accuser all over again.
Spoiler:
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-17, 23:52   Link #17
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 27
http://www.themarysue.com/george-mil...wer-franchise/

This Review is as perfect as the movie is. Spoilers tho so you've been warned.
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-18, 00:10   Link #18
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 40
just saw the movie. like it a lot better then avenger2. didn't see the whole feminist thing that some ppl are talking. Just a nice action movie.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-18, 10:23   Link #19
Sagitta Luminis
Fallen Angel♥
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Israel
Age: 20
Those who call this movie feminist obviously do not know what feminism is about. And neither does the person who decided to shoehorn this theme in. In these times when feminism is regarded as a negative thing, depiction of actual feminism would really help. But screw that, we came to see impossibly monstrous vehicles blowing up.
__________________
Sagitta Luminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-18, 16:07   Link #20
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Just got done seeing it. Wonderful movie. And yeah, I see the points about the feminism now, and I think the movie was very smart about it.

It's feminist because it does feminism the right way: removing the barriers between what a man and woman are and can do without glorifying or denigrating it. This isn't a movie that says "look at us, we're feminist!" It simply puts women on equal footing with the men and doesn't make a big deal about it. It's a powerful statement in a modern world where people love to draw lines between sides in every argument. "You do you", basically. It's very matter of fact.

It also avoids so many easy temptations to objectify the women, especially given the circumstances of the plot, since they are skimpily clad harem breeding stock. There's no linger shots, or sexy poses, no nudity or objectification. The women vary between survival at all costs, to desiring to return to the harem when things get rough. And they grow from being damsels rescued by Furiosa into agents of their own change.

It's also just as easy to ignore all of that, and enjoy the monstrous vehicles blowing up. The action and carnage are great, and a wonderful example of how violence doesn't need to be lingered on or glorified to get the impact across to the audience, to make them "feel" it. It's the rare modern movie that proves you don't need an elaborate plot, tons of dialogue and exposition, or preachy characters, to clue the audience into what is going on. It's all right there, shown rather than told. That alone makes this movie stand out from modern action movies, or heck, modern movies in general.

And while there is some CGI use, it's not shoved in your face. There's a lot of practical effects too, which gives the movie a great gritty, authentic feel. Although that storm was wonderful eye candy.

There's some pacing issues, and Max could have used a few more moments of badass, but this is one of the best action movies I've seen in a very, very long time. Perhaps since the 90's, even.

It's not perfect, but its flaws are very forgivable. It's a movie that can enjoyed matter of fact, just for the action, or for those who see something deeper. Either way, you're rewarded, and not insulted with the script/director beating you over the head with the obvious.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.