AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Monogatari Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Nisemonogatari - Episode 01 Rating
Perfect 10 70 41.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 46 27.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 17.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 15 8.93%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 2.98%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.60%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.60%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-08, 20:27   Link #121
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarqu View Post
Recycled from Maria Holic OP
Never watched it unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by com_gwp View Post
That, my friend, is ART.
And here I was thinking it was just a pointless hazard.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 21:31   Link #122
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Episode 1 of Nothinghappensgatari. NOTHING HAPPENS.

Seriously, is it me or is shaft really tripping up the shaft levels this time? Bakemonogatari cannot compare to this. That Arararagi house, my god. So minimalistic they cut the budget spending in half. But what I wouldn't give to live in that glorious place.
Well... Shaft's budget is not different from any other animation. That's something that many people think, but it is clearly wrong.

What Shaft does, is basically animating certain scene with EXTREME QUALITY, in exchange of having less animation in other parts. Even in those less animated parts, they change cut scenes just so much, it requires average more costs than normal in-between drawings.

and... this episode was just usual Shaft they always have been. Actually, it had even more animation than average episodes they ever had. Just look at how much Sakuga staffs they put in this episode.
Old 2012-01-08, 23:41   Link #123
Clarste
Human

I think it's worth noting that the pacing in this series is probably going to be very different from the pacing in Bakemonogatari. Bakemonogatari was split between 5 different arcs, whereas this one will only be two. So instead of 2-3 episodes for Karen Bee it'll be something like 6-7. I'd expect things to be a lot more drawn out and/or gone into more detail than anything in Bake. Or random side conversations.
Clarste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 00:01   Link #124
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth Send a message via Skype™ to Malkuth
Quote:
Hm, so critics were right... nihilism and minimalism are not popular with the masses

Quote:
Seriously, is it me or is shaft really tripping up the shaft levels this time? Bakemonogatari cannot compare to this. That Arararagi house, my god. So minimalistic they cut the budget spending in half. But what I wouldn't give to live in that glorious place.
Interesting... reading posts of baroque-lovers. Needless to say, I loved the interior design, though I must admit it has more to do with the animation studio, rather than the source material
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 00:35   Link #125
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Does anyone notice that the living room of the Araragi residence is filled with calendars?

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 40!! Completed: 210. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 01:00   Link #126
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Shy surface makes it sound like she's faking being shy. I've always read her as a really shy girl trying to be more aggressive so she can win her really big crush. Perhaps with a little bit of closet exhibitionist thrown in. She's adorable.
Yeah, sorry about that, I actually have no intention of calling Nadeko a fake, but similar to what you are saying, she has potential to be more daring if she really wants to. Just that Koyomi doesn't make it any easier for her given that he thinks she is a shy delicate girl and that's what slightly annoys me. That's why I joked about him acting more comfortable around her like when he's with Hachikuji but not to that extreme level of course. I haven't read the light novel, but I heard people saying to be mindful of her in the next episode, so I'm looking forward to it. Nadeko being more aggressive that is.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 01:29   Link #127
Zaresh
Caperucita Roja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Does anyone notice that the living room of the Araragi residence is filled with calendars?
The living room is full of calendars, but his sister misses him a lot.

Ha, that's pretty neat, SHAFT. Koyomi means calendar, doesn't it? Ha, ha. Nice.
Zaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 01:38   Link #128
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

Not to mention Tsukihi (月日) can also be read as "getsuka", which means "time", and Karen -> Karen-da (calendar).

I'm not surprised if their mother's name is Tokiko (toki = time).

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 40!! Completed: 210. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 04:26   Link #129
Shikijin

Quote:
Not to mention Tsukihi (月日) can also be read as "getsuka"
The name of Tsukihi is written as 月火 (moon + fire). It could also be read as "getsuka" which means "monday and tuesday" (monday -> moon day, tuesday -> fire day (the day of Mars)). Tsukihi, written as 月日 (month + day), means "time, years, days"
Shikijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 05:48   Link #130
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Yep. Seems that the family has much in common with time.
Old 2012-01-09, 07:09   Link #131
ThereminVox
Guess what time it is?

Absolutely fantastic bridge episode to take us into the new season. All of the more established girls got at least a quick moment in the sun, and similar to a certain Tsubasa Cat episode, Karen is only mentioned by other characters. Tsukihi gets some welcome development for those of us who are anime-only viewers. I guess she's the one who's been close to Nadeko for years. Good to see that Nisemonogatari continues the tradition of utterly squeezable heroines who simultaneously have something about them that's just off in a way that makes your skin crawl. It was pretty hilarious watching her resigned disgust with her brother's attitude towards Nadeko.

As most have mentioned, Hachikuji and Araragi steal the show. Fantastic banter, with talk of the "courage" spin, references to Read or Die, and Hachikuji casually taking a sledgehammer to the fourth wall. While it's nice to see their relationship as fellow oddities touched upon, mostly they still interact via mutual abuse. It's a hilarious dynamic, and like always, Araragi ups the ante before it's over in a way that cannot possibly be justified. Even he has a history of admitting that there's no way to look at the things he does to her as being okay. Araragi, are you really just trolling her, or are you actually a pedophile? I know, I know, that's the whole point.

Since Hachikuji's relevance at this stage of the story is almost entirely her repartee with Araragi, I would imagine that she's not going to be around much after this, unless he seeks her out for more advice about his sisters. That's fine with me; if this was her big "hurrah" for the season, at least it was a good one, but I'll miss that feral little poltergeist if she ever does disappear, and clearly so will Arararararagi.
ThereminVox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 08:08   Link #132
Jarmel

This was absolutely fantastic. I forgot how much I missed this show.

Also LOL at the sexual gags.
Jarmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 11:33   Link #133
klare

this eps is not as good as Bake eps 1, but still enjoy it, would like to see the other harem members... i mean heroines too

oh the OP looks low budget
Old 2012-01-09, 12:00   Link #134
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by omimon View Post
Let me explain the 298 yen love bit. When the novel first came out in 08 there was something called a "love bento" that convenient stores sold. Due to the bad economy back then a lot of convenient stores decided to start campaign to sell cheap bento. A usual 600 yen bento would go as far as being sold at 250 yen. Nisio was using the "298 yen love bento" that had food shaped like hearts and junk to make fun of a society that revolves around money.
Speaking of name puns, just wanted to mention this: the "298 yen" bit is actually a pun on Hachikuji's name as well. Read backwards, in Japanese, the numbers "8", "9", "2" can actually be read as "hachi", "ku", and "ji" (although that particular reading for 二 is pretty rare).

Quote:
Although I can get why you might feel that way, you should probably rest assured that stuff has happened, and [we] just don't know it yet. With this show, there is a bit of a communication/interpretation disconnect that is even more pronounced given we're not the native audience. Although there are a number of hints within the episode which could allow you to go further than this, here are the potential/key plot points/questions that we can take away currently:

- On July 29th, a Saturday, or possibly July 30th, the Sunday following, Araragi wakes up chained/handcuffed in the abandoned school building (Oshino's old haunt).
- Hitagi has imprisoned him.
- She claims to be protecting him, although because she is also playing up her "deep love" and dominating sadism Araragi is being kept in the dark about the details.

- flashing back to earlier on the 29th, over the summer break, Hitagi and Hanekawa have been tutoring him.
- Hanekawa cancels on him
- In a conversation with Tsukihi, the "brains" of the Fire Sisters, Araragi discovers that his other imouto Karen, the "fighter" of the Fire Sisters, is indeed out fighting.
- bothered by the issues his sisters keep getting wrapped up in, but having nothing to do, Araragi decides to go visit Nadeko.
- on his way there, he runs into Hachikuji.

The key point to understand is that all of this is happening on the same day, or at most one day after the same day. At some point during or following Araragi's visit to Nadeko (including various possible other sidetracks), Araragi will be kidnapped and confined by Senjougahara in order to "protect" him. As for Senjougahara's actions, while many of us might be willing to simply accept them as overbearing love or flat-out yandere-ism--if you really believe this and are having issues with her character, keep in mind that, like Araragi suspects, there might be a genuine reason for them. Given that the current events can be seen as a flashback from the perspective of Araragi, just like Araragi, we can watch through them with a tentative question in mind of "what sort of events that we are watching Araragi currently go through could lead to it being necessary for him to be imprisoned and protected?".

The issue a lot of viewers had with the original Bakemonogatari, myself initially included, was the perception that the show was "style over substance". Moe/harem hijinks; pretentious artstyle; endless meta-referencing puns jerking off about how clever it all is. However, SHAFT having some of the best "style" in the industry, the other issue was that (again, myself somewhat included) some people decided that none of that was actually bad and began to enjoy the show for just its style exclusively. The point being: SHAFT's (as well as Nishio's own, for his part) "style" in this show became so loud and distinctive, especially for non-native, non-Japanese viewers, that to an extent it covered up (our ability to perceive) the actual substance of the show entirely.

While I am a huge fan of the Bakemonogatari series' style; and while I might even agree that that is the most remarkable/appreciation worthy thing about it; I dislike seeing this series treated as if it is devoid of substance entirely (not saying that anybody in this thread or on this forum necessarily has, or has yet, though). In general I think it'd be great if people who have issues with this show's substance (including stuff like 'wtf, this arc is referred to as "Karen Bee" but we haven't seen or had any development about Karen yet') would enter into discussions and see what anybody else has picked up before jumping to conclusions.
HappinessCharge Precure 100/5 :: Stardust Crusaders 80/5 :: Mushishi S2 90/5 :: Akuma no Riddle: 15/5 :: Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san 24/5 :: GochiUsa 33/5 :: Soul Eater NOT! 18/5 :: Love Live! S2 80/5
Summer: Sailor Moon Crystal 24/5 :: Hanayamata 30/5 :: Locodol 30/5 :: Yama no Susume 100/5 :: Momo Kyun Sword 11/5
God-tier yuri oneshot mangaka: Minase Ruruu
Yuri Precure otaku manga: Shinozaki-san ki wo ota shika ni
Awesome shoujo manga: Last Game
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 13:52   Link #135
Clarste
Human

In other words, give it some time because it's still in the set-up phase of the story.
Clarste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 14:15   Link #136
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
In other words, give it some time because it's still in the set-up phase of the story.
I probably wouldn't mind if it, you know, actually had set something up.

While I'm not saying it completely didn't, but the (barely any) vague foreshadowing and hinting didn't sit too well with me, especially when I'm already holding expectations from the monogatari series to be rather plot heavy (I suppose this was a result of the condensation of bakamono). I came out of this episode with little idea of what the focus and theme of plot this time around is, asides from the (implied) shift in focus to family ties, and isn't the idea of a premiere not to set this straight? I usually don't mind the metaphoric circlejerking banter from series of this genre, bu I am growing a bit tired of it and would rather see something along the lines of fate/zero where conversation is used to carry the plot forward. If we're arguing that it adds to character development, its not something that flys in a premiere episode IMO.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 14:38   Link #137
sa547
*Author

^
Let's put it very simple: you have to decide whether to drop it or not, because you're now drawing comparisons even if it's just one episode. Maybe you were expecting too much or taking the plot too seriously. Give two more episodes before making the judgment call.

Me, I just find this episode rather entertaining, enough to make me laugh and forget my worries.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-01-09 at 15:04.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 15:12   Link #138
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
^
Let's put it very simple: you have to decide whether to drop it or not, because you're now drawing comparisons even if it's just one episode. Maybe you were expecting too much or taking the plot too seriously. Give two more episodes before making the judgment call.
Haha, an ultimatum out of nowhere?

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy the episode, I'm not saying I'm going to drop it or anything (I gave it a 7/10), I'm just pointing out the flaws I feel the show have. Is opinions not what makes the board? it gets awfully boring if everyone just agrees that it excels at what it does (Which in this case is the metaphoric circlejerking banter)
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 15:15   Link #139
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Or put another way, stuff is happening, if you pay attention to what's going on, and don't get swept up in the idea that it is just SHAFT being SHAFT.

It is one of my favorite things about Bakemonogatari. It seems to be 90% random, fluff and absurdness, but there is a method to the madness. There is still about 30-50% that is just random, but everything else is there to build on something. Usually what is being built are the characters, specifically the relationships between them. While the plot and story are secondary to how the characters interact, it is still there and moving.

Spoiler for Mostly off topic:
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 15:32   Link #140
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Thanks to everyone for explaining the Japanese language puns, plus cultural references & context. I love this show--and love it more due to your help.

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote