AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2012-01-08, 07:54   Link #1
Knave545

Steins;Gate Obsession.

I've completed Steins;Gate 4 days ago. I've loved the show so much that i literally couldn't stop thinking about it. I thought that was normal because the show requires you to do some thinking after watching to fit all the pieces together. However, even after i put all the pieces together, i still couldn't stop thinking about it.

I kept summarizing the show in my head as if i'm scared of forgetting about it. This has never happened to me before. I've decided 2 days ago that maybe i should re-watch it, and by the end of the second run i'll probably ease up. I just finished it again today, and it's been even worse. I keep summarizing the show in my head. It's not even that i look back on my favorite moments, no. I just summarize it, over and over again.

I'm not sure why i'm so scared about forgetting about it. The only logical explanation is that i liked it so much that i don't want to ever forget about it. I've seen a ton of Anime, and i've been watching it for years now, but this is the first time this has happened to me.

Could someone suggest some kind of advice which would help? Also, if someone had a similar experience with another show, share your stories. It would probably make me feel better knowing that there are other people out there who have this kind of issue.
Knave545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 08:01   Link #2
brocko

Welcome to anime withdrawal

It's hard to let go of a show once it ends epsecially when you've become so attached to it, but alas all good things must come to an end. I can only recommend trying to find another show to perhaps fill in the missing gap left by Steins;Gate. The good thing though is that there's a Steins;Gate movie on its way so you can look forward to that when it comes

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 08:03   Link #3
Knave545

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocko View Post
Welcome to anime withdrawal

It's hard to let go of a show once it ends epsecially when you've become so attached to it, but alas all good things must come to an end. I can only recommend trying to find another show to perhaps fill in the missing gap left by Steins;Gate. The good thing though is that there's a Steins;Gate movie on its way so you can look forward to that when it comes
Yeah, i'm surprised that no other show has ever left this kind of impression on me. I've really liked this show a TON. This is also the first show that i re-watched out of the hundreds i've seen. I'm happy but also annoyed at the same time, because i'd like to get over it, but at the same time i wouldn't. It's very weird.
Old 2012-01-08, 08:06   Link #4
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

1. Learn Japanese.
2. Get a JP Xbox 360 and Steins;Gate the game.
3. ???
4. Profit?

In all seriousness, it's a tremendous anime, but it's not the end of the world. There's plenty of equally epic anime out there and other enjoyable/worthy ways to spend your time. Why not take a trip over to "Suggestions" and start a thread for anime recommendations to help you move on?
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 08:11   Link #5
Knave545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
1. Learn Japanese.
2. Get a JP Xbox 360 and Steins;Gate the game.
3. ???
4. Profit?

In all seriousness, it's a tremendous anime, but it's not the end of the world. There's plenty of equally epic anime out there and other enjoyable/worthy ways to spend your time. Why not take a trip over to "Suggestions" and start a thread for anime recommendations to help you move on?
The thing is, i've actually watched Madoka right after Steins. The show kept me occupied, but as soon as i've finished it, i started thinking about Steins again. It's very weird.

As i've said earlier, this never happened with any other show i've seen. There's actually plenty shows i've seen that come close to the level of Steins;Gate, but as soon as i finished them, i would just move on to another show.

Basically, what i'm trying to say is that i don't think watching another show would help, because i've done that already, and as soon as i finished it, i would start thinking about Steins again. Also, i don't think playing the game would help my problem. It would only make me even more obsessed with it, and that would be no good.
Old 2012-01-08, 09:38   Link #6
hyl
Hello, again

One thing that probably will bother you is that the voice acting on the xbox360 and the psp are different than in the anime. The seiyuus are the same, but the way how the seiyuus interpreteted the characters were different. Probably because in the anime the seiyuu already knew the character traits and personalities of the persons that they were voicing.
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 10:12   Link #7
Revan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knave545 View Post
Could someone suggest some kind of advice which would help?
Read the original visual novel to get even more information
Old 2012-01-08, 11:09   Link #8
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Everyone is just making things worse
This has happened to me couple of times, with both anime and games, and when it did I couldn't even fall asleep because the portions of the anime would continuously play back in my head. The worst was with Touhou games, a STG bullet hell game. I constantly couldn't stop thinking about grazing impossible bullet patterns; it really felt like it was hell inside my head. But it stopped after about a week or so when I stayed away from it. So I'd recommend just waiting it out, and try not to think about it so much.
Old 2012-01-08, 11:24   Link #9
Last Sinner
For Gnomeregan!

Send a message via MSN to Last Sinner
Ah, the upside and downside of finding a show you love so dearly.

In all honesty, I'd recommend taking a step back from the show and not have anything to do with it for a while. Don't watch it again for a while and try not to delve too much into other media associated with it. The reason I say this is if you obsess over a show you rate that highly, everything else will seem mediocre in comparison and you may lose the ability to like a variety of anime in the long term, thus focusing on ones you've watched and not trying anything else.

Why would I suggest that? A few reasons. Firstly, someone I used to be friends with IRL was positive about anime fandom and good to get along with. Then 12 months ago, he became super negative, put down everyone and refused to watch anything current or not comfortable enough to his usual tastes, coming to the conclusion he had seen the best of anime and that it would be unlikely he'd ever see something worth seeing ever again. And that's not a good attitude to have. Secondly, people generally find it hard to talk to when a person obsesses over 1-2 shows and talks about little besides them. Turning into that kind of person will alienate you somewhat. Thirdly, if you get wrapped up so much in your fave show, you may end up losing the ability to have an objective point of view on what you watch and compare anything to that show all the time, ultimately ending up disappointed.

My advice to you would be to take a break for all anime for a short while, like a week. It sounds like Steins;Gate - which is a good series btw - is all you can think about at the moment. Take a step back from anime for a bit and get the cravings out of your system. Then I'd also recommend avoiding watching Steins;Gate for a considerable amount of time - at least 3 months. Then have another look at it and see if after that time away from it, you still feel that strongly about the show, then that's okay. If you feel somewhat different about it the next time around, that's okay too. Sometimes it's best if you take a step back, try something else for a while, mix different things into your routine and try not to think about the show too much. In the long run, I think it will help make sure you still like the show. Overexposure to it may end up making the show lesser in your eyes if you obsess over it for too long.

Early in my anime viewing experience I was hooked on Last Exile and was talking/thinking about it too much. Then I took steps away from it and only watched it about once a year. It helped me to keep it as my fave show for eight years because I would take enough time away from it to be able to see past it but refresh it often enough so I wouldn't forget it.

It's fine to really like a show. But obsession - not really. And that's the term you've attributed to yourself. I think for your own good, take a break from it. Absorb other things then go back to it when you don't feel like you can't live without it. It will do you good in the long run.
Old 2012-01-08, 12:27   Link #10
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkbeat View Post
1. Learn Japanese.
2. Get a PSP
3. import Stein;Gate
4. ???
5. Profit?
easier that way
Old 2012-01-08, 12:40   Link #11
Darkbeat
'אין ייאוש בעולם כלל

Why not try both? Then you can enjoy Steins;Gate on your big screen in HD courtesy of your 360 and also in portable/convenient form while on the toilet. Everyone wins!

To actually be helpful to the OP; You need to break this cold turkey. Move on, keep trying new anime and other distractions and eventually S;G will be by and large a thing of the past. For now, keep yourself occupied and let time do the rest. For good suggestions of anime timesinks, make a thread in Suggestions.
Darkbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 12:46   Link #12
kitten320

Had something like that years ago when I only began to watch anime, Mai HiME was the one that was stuck in my head. It was the first show that stayed in my memory and made me want to do a research about it, trying to find anything there is. I knew biggest part of websites related to it, be it just information, comics or fan art. I even joined this forum because of it I liked it so much that an alternative setting in Mai Otome was a total push away and I delayed watching it for several months. I actually still keep this show close and dislike the alternative setting.

I didn't really do anything about it... read some fanfics, found fan art, watched AMVs though there were barely any at that time so I created my own... people on youtube still remember me because of Mai HiME AMVs I created
Otherwise it was just time, it took me about a year for my interest to finally start to drop. That was the first and the last time I ever got into something so much. Had seen bunch of better anime since then but never got so into them. Though Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom loves to pop into my head sometimes.
Old 2012-01-09, 05:35   Link #13
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
easier that way
Yet even easier:
1. Get the PC version
2. Patch it to english
3. Play
4. ???
5. Profit
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 06:03   Link #14
Sheba
*singing In the Navy*

Funny, I have heard from a friend that people who have whined about "otaku jokes" in steins;gate the anime will WHINE EVEN MORE if they ever play the game. Apparently, so-called "otaku jokes" were actually played down in the animated series.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 08:53   Link #15
Triple_R
Ho Ho Honoka!
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
There is that rare anime show that becomes kind of transcendent for me. It takes on a life of its own, and in some ways becomes larger than "anime" itself in my mind.

A few of my all-time favorite anime shows are like that. An example of a show like this for me is The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I've actually had Haruhi herself show up in my dreams, literally.

The ways I "work out" my passion for these shows is:

1. Writing fanfics.

2. Making AMVs.

3. Making comedic mash-up vids.

4. Doing image searches for my favorite anime characters from those shows, and saving some of them to my comp. (I use Google, Yahoo, deviantArt, various Booru sites, and recently Pixiv for this).

I haven't been a big merchandise collector in a long time, but that might be another good way to "work out" your passion for a show, and "free your mind" a bit of it (i.e. having that Kurisu figurine standing right next to a computer monitor, or in some other prominent place, might be helpful here).

Oh, and I can definitely see how Steins;Gate would have that "transcendent" effect for some people. It's a pretty unique show, all things considered.
Old 2012-01-09, 09:40   Link #16
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Yet even easier:
1. Get the PC version
2. Patch it to english
3. Play
4. ???
5. Profit
alternatively one could also get the iphone version and patch that
Old 2012-01-09, 20:20   Link #17
Qikz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Funny, I have heard from a friend that people who have whined about "otaku jokes" in steins;gate the anime will WHINE EVEN MORE if they ever play the game. Apparently, so-called "otaku jokes" were actually played down in the animated series.
As someone who's playing through Steins;Gate I can tell you there's tons of otaku jokes and they all own. Some times I've had to look up what they were but not often, but they're always directed at Kurisu, it's great. <3

I loved this series far too much and it excelled into one of my favourite universes from a game/anime ever. I'm sitting wearing a Kurisu shirt right now and Steins;Gate hasn't left my PSP for a while now. By far my favourite anime tied with K-On and the game is even better <3
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-11, 19:39   Link #18
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal

I enjoyed the series, but I reject all works with time paradoxes from my personal hall of fame, no matter how good they are otherwise. I don't know why, those just makes me rage....if they had implemented the time travel more smartly, Steins;Gate would be the best thing ever.

For example, in Haruhi I think the time travel was done correctly. :P
Old 2012-01-13, 13:54   Link #19
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

It isn't strictly time travel in Steins;Gate. Time travel does not work in a story, period.
Steins;Gate uses a fantasy application of the multi-world theory instead, which makes it consistent within their own set of rules. It is therefore perfect.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-13, 16:59   Link #20
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

This has happened to me twice: first with Evangelion, then with Haruhi Suzumiya. However, both were prolonged because I watched them just in time for the supplementary material (I saw Evangelion right before the first Rebuild movie came out and Haruhi Suzumiya just before the second season came out). If not for that, I'm sure each obsession would have passed pretty quickly.