AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Suggestions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-01-15, 01:15   Link #1
Shingai-san

Loneliness and Isolation.

Hi guys, I'm looking for animes, mangas, books, movies, or basically any other medium that deals with isolation and loneliness especially in an environment where there are people around you every day.

Examples.

Lost in Translation. My favorite movie.

Mushishi

Taxi Driver.

5cm per second and most works by the same guy

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Ararararagi

Last edited by Shingai-san; 2012-01-15 at 02:32.
Old 2012-01-15, 01:39   Link #2
jedinat
フリーター

The Natsume Yuujinchou series' I suppose. He makes connections with friends, youkai, and family as the series goes... but I guess there's a pervading sense of isolation as he keeps things to himself and only tentatively opens himself up, and all the while following in his grandmother's footsteps who was undoubtedly lonely and isolated herself.
Old 2012-01-15, 17:10   Link #3
Kirito
Unlimited Flag Works!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito Send a message via Skype™ to Kirito
Nowhere Boy
Welcome to the NHK
Air

That's all I can think of.
Old 2012-01-15, 18:46   Link #4
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Loneliness and isolation, is a major theme. The hedgehog's dilemma is one of its defining aspects. Do not watch Rebuild of Evangelion first.

Ergo Proxy - Cyberpunk, but loneliness and isolation is a large and important theme.

Welcome to the NHK - It's about a hikkamori. Nothing more needs to be said.

Colorful (Film) - Make you don't look up the series namedc Colorful (Not the same thing!), but the film. This deals with heavy topics like suicide.

All anime I really love, the first two being my favorites of all time.
Old 2012-01-15, 21:38   Link #5
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Definitely seconding Colorful for this.
Old 2012-01-16, 09:51   Link #6
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I think Kurenai fits as well. Though he has a couple of friends at school, and two rather doting (or explotative?) neighbors at home, he's still encased in a lonely world being an orphan with a rather unusual part-time job. Washimine Yukio, who is the focus of the final story arc of Black Lagoon: Second Barrage, is another high-schooler whose life outside of school isolates her from her classmates.

There are some other shows I can think of where one or more of the principals are social isolates at the start, but develop relationships of various kinds over the course of the story. In Twelve Kingdoms, all three high-schoolers are dropped into an unfamiliar world where only one of them, the main character Youko, can speak the native language. She becomes even more isolated as her role in the Kingdoms becomes clearer, though she acquires some good friends who assist in her integration. In Nijuu Mensou no Musume, the main character Chiko is an orphan living with unloving relatives. Over the course of the show she is "adopted" and abandoned on a number of occasions. Once again, though, she develops some strong friendships over the course of the story.

One might argue that Balsa in Seirei no Moribito is pretty much an isolate. She has a couple of friends that she sees only rarely as she wanders the country in search of work as a bodyguard. In House of Five Leaves, the main character is an unemployed samurai who seems totally lost without a master and household to protect. The story depicts his growing relationship with a criminal band.

I can't think of any shows where a character starts off isolated and remains that way throughout. Most such stories depict the growing integration of the isolated protagonist into one or more relationships, both friendships and romances. The one exception I can name to this pattern is the opening story of Aoi Bungaku, "No Longer Human." That's pretty bleak from start to finish.

There are a couple of other notable isolates in comedies. One is Harima Kenji in School Rumble. He's feared by most of his male classmates and generally despised by the girls. Kitarou in Hakaba Kitarou is the "last of the ghost clan" and doesn't really fit in anywhere except perhaps the underworld. Both the main characters in Nodame Cantabile are social isolates when the story begins.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-01-16 at 10:10.
Old 2012-01-16, 10:06   Link #7
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Saikano deals a lot on emotional isolation and the need for emotional stability at a time when the world is tearing itself apart.

Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora has the main female character suffering from a congenital heart condition that will invariably shorten her life span considerably, hence she closes herself off emotionally from people.

Haibane Renmei has some of the characters deal with this as they live without really knowing their past lives, and that one day they will eventually move on to the next stage of their existence.
Old 2012-01-17, 14:39   Link #8
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
There are many good examples, so maybe after...

I'd go with Clannad and Sola (why yes it's even in the title, but a bit harder to figure out. ) There's also Ano Hana.
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-01-17, 19:47   Link #9
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Welcome to the NHK: I mean, the guys a Hikikomori...

The Tatami Galaxy: Main character here is fairly disfunctional, there's a fair number of parts where he experiences social isolation or alienation of some sort or another.
Closed Thread