AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-10, 18:16   Link #5481
nacer666

Spoiler:
Old 2013-07-10, 18:36   Link #5482
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Speaking of translations, Chinese version of Vol9 stalled and they went onto Vol10 for some reason =/
Spoiler for some comments:
Speaking of which, Yakumo originally got involved because Lina was using Parade, which was derived from his ninjutsu, and he felt that it was his duty to stop it from being shown to others. So what made him back off later?
Old 2013-07-11, 03:41   Link #5483
bietchie11
Devil byDay,Demon byNight

It's boring since no one say anything.
Chapter 10 is up
Old 2013-07-11, 09:59   Link #5484
Rainb1

Does anyone know what happens to Tatsuya and Lina afterwards(vol.9 chap.3). Since I think both of them knows each others "real identity".

Last edited by Rainb1; 2013-07-11 at 10:12.
Old 2013-07-11, 10:07   Link #5485
hakazee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainb1 View Post
Does anyone know what happens to Tatsuya and Lina afterwards. Since I think both of them knows each others "real identity".
i think Lina was not sure if Tatsuya is a SC magician
Old 2013-07-11, 10:17   Link #5486
blackwhite67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainb1 View Post
Does anyone know what happens to Tatsuya and Lina afterwards(vol.9 chap.3). Since I think both of them knows each others "real identity".
Tatsuya knows for a fact that Lina is Sirius. Lina heads back to the USNA. They're convinced that Tatsuya is the SC magician, but Lina's superior made a deal with the Yotsuba so they're leaving.
Old 2013-07-11, 19:01   Link #5487
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
Speaking of which, Yakumo originally got involved because Lina was using Parade, which was derived from his ninjutsu, and he felt that it was his duty to stop it from being shown to others. So what made him back off later?
Spoiler for Yakumo:
Old 2013-07-11, 21:35   Link #5488
Rava

Quote:
Originally Posted by bietchie11 View Post
It's boring since no one say anything.
Chapter 10 is up
No, it's incomplete. And it was put up incomplete because someone whined about it.
Old 2013-07-11, 22:02   Link #5489
Rainb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
Tatsuya knows for a fact that Lina is Sirius. Lina heads back to the USNA. They're convinced that Tatsuya is the SC magician, but Lina's superior made a deal with the Yotsuba so they're leaving.
Either ways, can't wait for the translations :P
Old 2013-07-12, 20:03   Link #5490
Rasen

....So, this might have been said before and I imagine it will be unpopular, but I have misgivings about the Miyuki-Tatsuya pairing. (Let's put aside possible issues of birth defects and genetic drift)

It's great that Miyuki seems to love Tatsuya, but Tatsuya basically had no choice. He was left with only feelings for Miyuki and (for now) the inability to develop deeper emotions for anyone or anything else. Granted, that was exactly the point of what the Yotsuba did, but the short answer is that basically his feelings for Miyuki are the result of brainwashing. His feelings for Miyuki aren't anything more than brotherly, but because his feelings for everything else are almost zero, he is fanatically devoted to her.

Tatsuya LUCKED out when Miyuki started adoring him, but Tatsuya's actions would have been exactly the same if Miyuki still looked down on him like she did before.

I would hope that before Tatsuya gets into any kind of romantic relationship, he at least would have his emotions back first. If he chooses Miyuki then, it would be much better because then he would have had a choice, instead of the choice being forced on him.

...On the other hand, maybe the reason why so few people express a problem with Tatsuya/Miyuki is because Tatsuya will never DO anything, so all those problems of increased rate of possible congenital birth defects goes straight to zero. They will just be an unusually close family.

Granted, all characters in the harem genre have their choices forced on them by the author, but at least within the story itself, they had freedom of choice (maybe they made a bad choice, but....whatever.)
Old 2013-07-12, 23:23   Link #5491
Nandesuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasen View Post
....So, this might have been said before and I imagine it will be unpopular, but I have misgivings about the Miyuki-Tatsuya pairing. (Let's put aside possible issues of birth defects and genetic drift)

It's great that Miyuki seems to love Tatsuya, but Tatsuya basically had no choice. He was left with only feelings for Miyuki and (for now) the inability to develop deeper emotions for anyone or anything else. Granted, that was exactly the point of what the Yotsuba did, but the short answer is that basically his feelings for Miyuki are the result of brainwashing. His feelings for Miyuki aren't anything more than brotherly, but because his feelings for everything else are almost zero, he is fanatically devoted to her.

Tatsuya LUCKED out when Miyuki started adoring him, but Tatsuya's actions would have been exactly the same if Miyuki still looked down on him like she did before.

I would hope that before Tatsuya gets into any kind of romantic relationship, he at least would have his emotions back first. If he chooses Miyuki then, it would be much better because then he would have had a choice, instead of the choice being forced on him.

...On the other hand, maybe the reason why so few people express a problem with Tatsuya/Miyuki is because Tatsuya will never DO anything, so all those problems of increased rate of possible congenital birth defects goes straight to zero. They will just be an unusually close family.

Granted, all characters in the harem genre have their choices forced on them by the author, but at least within the story itself, they had freedom of choice (maybe they made a bad choice, but....whatever.)
Setting shipping aside in favor of rationality, given the way things have been and logically extrapolating out, by far the most likely scenario for the future is simply a continuation of the status quo (and that includes everyone's relationships, except maybe Mizuki and Mikihiko).

With that said...that's no fun, so screw that noise =D
Old 2013-07-13, 00:05   Link #5492
XFire
Harem Seeker

Quote:

What you said is essentially true, but I would like to point out a few things in Miyuki's defense.
  • First, she is fully aware of both the reason behind Tatsuya's devotion to her and how that affection was created.
  • Second, She knows full well it is nigh-impossible for her to escape the "sister-zone".
  • Third, her love (yes it's romantic love, stop beating around the bush) for Tatsuya is nearly as strong as his love (sibling only) for her.

Miyuki's decision, based on the above facts, was to essentially reduce herself to what TVTropes refers to as a Satellite Character. She did this of her own free will in order to give him as much freedom as she could.

It doesn't change the fact that he was almost "forced" into loving her. But even if he hadn't been, Tatsuya would probably still be an incurable siscon simply because his sister is so incredible.
Old 2013-07-13, 00:40   Link #5493
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
What you said is essentially true, but I would like to point out a few things in Miyuki's defense.
  • First, she is fully aware of both the reason behind Tatsuya's devotion to her and how that affection was created.
  • Second, She knows full well it is nigh-impossible for her to escape the "sister-zone".
  • Third, her love (yes it's romantic love, stop beating around the bush) for Tatsuya is nearly as strong as his love (sibling only) for her.

Miyuki's decision, based on the above facts, was to essentially reduce herself to what TVTropes refers to as a Satellite Character. She did this of her own free will in order to give him as much freedom as she could.

It doesn't change the fact that he was almost "forced" into loving her. But even if he hadn't been, Tatsuya would probably still be an incurable siscon simply because his sister is so incredible.
I suppose it wasn't clear, but I don't have a problem with Miyuki as a person. She does everything she can to support Tatsuya in any way possible.

But Miyuki could have reacted like her mother when Tatsuya saved their lives, and continued to treat Tatsuya with indifference or disdain (Miyuki wasn't fond of Tatsuya to begin with, IIRC). Tatsuya lucked out in that she was and is a fundamentally good person, and that there was an invading army that managed to nearly kill Miyuki and their mother.

If they had a normal sibling relationship, it's harder to tell how they would treat each other now. Maybe they'd be like a more normal brother-sister, what with having 15-16 years to get used to each other instead of the 3 years in the story.
Old 2013-07-13, 02:37   Link #5494
Rava

Quote:
I suppose it wasn't clear, but I don't have a problem with Miyuki as a person. She does everything she can to support Tatsuya in any way possible.

But Miyuki could have reacted like her mother when Tatsuya saved their lives, and continued to treat Tatsuya with indifference or disdain (Miyuki wasn't fond of Tatsuya to begin with, IIRC). Tatsuya lucked out in that she was and is a fundamentally good person, and that there was an invading army that managed to nearly kill Miyuki and their mother.

If they had a normal sibling relationship, it's harder to tell how they would treat each other now. Maybe they'd be like a more normal brother-sister, what with having 15-16 years to get used to each other instead of the 3 years in the story.
I think you're also forgetting the major lustful feelings she keeps having for Tatsuya that mysteriously keep getting mentally shoved aside or forgotten when she thinks about it too long.

That's got to be contributing something to her final reaction as well, when she's rescued.
Old 2013-07-13, 08:11   Link #5495
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rava View Post
I think you're also forgetting the major lustful feelings she keeps having for Tatsuya that mysteriously keep getting mentally shoved aside or forgotten when she thinks about it too long.

That's got to be contributing something to her final reaction as well, when she's rescued.
But her lustful feelings started from 3 years ago, for a person who was virtually a stranger. And they didn't start until after the rescue.

Part of the theory (not mine, but psychologists') of why brothers and sisters aren't attracted to each other is precisely because they grew up together, and have gotten used to each other, beauty and warts included.

But Tatsuya and Miyuki didn't have that, so instead they're ending up more like a brother and sister who were separated from birth, then met later as adults and started dating (without knowing).
Old 2013-07-13, 09:42   Link #5496
J4n1

Quote:
But Tatsuya and Miyuki didn't have that, so instead they're ending up more like a brother and sister who were separated from birth, then met later as adults and started dating (without knowing).
Yes, except that they were told that they were brother and sister from the beginning, leaving Miyuki hilariously grappling with the mental cognitive dissonance between her feelings and knowledge.
Old 2013-07-13, 10:47   Link #5497
Rasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4n1 View Post
Yes, except that they were told that they were brother and sister from the beginning, leaving Miyuki hilariously grappling with the mental cognitive dissonance between her feelings and knowledge.
I dunno if Miyuki is really struggling with cognitive dissonance though. She knows she is in love with Tatsuya and she knows there are limits to how far she can go. By themselves, they aren't actually conflicting ideas. Furthermore, I think cognitive dissonance is what occurs when a person has conflicting positions, but is unaware of it, which leads to seemingly destructive or irrational behavior. So she basically decided "Imma be the bestest waifu evar, minus the sexors."

And for me at least, the hilarity doesn't come from Miyuki's struggling (of which I see little of anyway), but from the reactions to her very public bro-con-ness.

Last edited by Rasen; 2013-07-13 at 10:57.
Old 2013-07-13, 10:51   Link #5498
J4n1

Quote:
I dunno if Miyuki is really struggling with cognitive dissonance though. She knows she is in love with Tatsuya and she knows there are limits to how far she can go. By themselves, they aren't actually conflicting ideas. So she basically decided "Imma be the bestest waifu evar, minus the sexors."

And for me at least, the hilarity doesn't come from Miyuki's struggling (of which I see little of anyway), but from the reactions to her very public bro-con-ness.
Grappling, not struggling.
Yes, she is pretty much ok with her emotions, and has decided to dedicate herself to Tats, but while she knows she can't have more than that, she does want (i think) more than that, and occasional slip ups between what she intends and wants can be kinda entertaining.

It's not a huge part of the character, or the series, but it is there in the background.
Old 2013-07-14, 12:22   Link #5499
Syokool
Lab. member 009
*Scanlator

U know? Rather than Miyuki, I found more interesting to see Tatsuya's reactions, specially in specific parts of the story.

I only wait to see your reactions when you see what happens after the birthday party between those siblings
Old 2013-07-14, 16:28   Link #5500
Flere821
Lurker

2nd Chapter of Vol10 has been translated into Chinese:
Spoiler for Differences compared to WEB version:
Closed Thread

Tags
action, fantasy, harem, incest, magic, mahouka, rettousei, school life, shounen, siblings