AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-07-12, 01:45   Link #1721
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
Too much competition so they have to make it flashy? I see where you're coming from but I think instead of adding even more flashiness, many authors should instead work on their basics. Then again, most readers seem to be primed by T&A and copy-paste characters, so why bother? Creativity/quality might actually scare them off!

It's not that 'creativity' scares them away, it's the sheer amount of content that they have to absorb to understand the story. Index has 26 volumes in the main story while Horizon has 10 volumes each 2.5 times the size of a regular Light Novel. Not everybody is willing to cramp all that information into their heads- it's not suppose to be homework.

I wouldn't call it 'flashy' per say- It's a book, how 'flashy' can it get? When I said 'radical', it means to do something unconventional- something that stands out.

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2012-07-12 at 01:56.
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 15:20   Link #1722
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Horizon character-wise started with a large amount of characters, thus having few room to properly develop them on the spot, TV reviews from a fair amount of blogs says this is the biggest weakness of this series, more because the number keeps increasing later.

What I like from this series is the focus the characters get with proper screen thus I can't say I miss them when one of them isn't on the spot. Doesn't abuses when increasing the number of characters at a geometrical rate.
__________________
Love songs for the genuinely cunning.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 15:37   Link #1723
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Horizon character-wise started with a large amount of characters, thus having few room to properly develop them on the spot, TV reviews from a fair amount of blogs says this is the biggest weakness of this series, more because the number keeps increasing later.

What I like from this series is the focus the characters get with proper screen thus I can't say I miss them when one of them isn't on the spot. Doesn't abuses when increasing the number of characters at a geometrical rate.
Character wise, you can say the same for Index. Large number of characters but some of them are getting forgotten or getting their own spin-off series or side stories which focus on them but main story wise. The author focus more on the characters that needs focusing. Index got their 3 heroes and Horizon focus on the character of musashi. The author develop the story from their.

Romance wise. Campione beat Index no competitions ask though I still like the romance in Horizon better.

And number of volume wise. There are story with short volumes but good stories. You don't really need long volumes to tell how awesome the story though large number of volumes is good for better planning and character introductions and settings of the world of your story.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 15:44   Link #1724
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Character wise, you can say the same for Index. Large number of characters but some of them are getting forgotten or getting their own spin-off series or side stories which focus on them but main story wise. The author focus more on the characters that needs focusing. Index got their 3 heroes and Horizon focus on the character of musashi. The author develop the story from their.
No, Index started with few characters and the it started growing each arc, Horizon already had a good amount and kept increasing them.

Quote:
Romance wise. Campione beat Index no competitions ask though I still like the romance in Horizon better.
Except Index isn't a romance series to begin with. Vol.19 had a romantic scene but it doesn't turns it into a romantic one. Index never will strieve for that.
__________________
Love songs for the genuinely cunning.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 13:09   Link #1725
Mura
Now or Never
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura Send a message via Skype™ to Mura
Ok so just checked out the 2nd episode. The first half of the episode had me really scratching my head. I've only read up to volume 4 so I might not have a good understanding of it but man, things felt all over the place. I wish they wouldn't show Liliana so quickly too, kinda ruins her entrance for the Voban arc.
__________________
Mura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 13:42   Link #1726
Rainb1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Who ends up with Godou? Or who do you think will end up with Godou?
Rainb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 13:46   Link #1727
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
No, Index started with few characters and the it started growing each arc, Horizon already had a good amount and kept increasing them.

Except Index isn't a romance series to begin with. Vol.19 had a romantic scene but it doesn't turns it into a romantic one. Index never will strieve for that.
Index did start with few characters then grew larger than life that they would threaten the universe but isn't that the same for other series. And now that you mention it. Horizon really had a huge cast.

And Index is indeed not a romance novel and I know that fact but does the fans knew that fact? that fact doesn't stop some crazy fans to make a romance out of it and its kinda funny to rub it on them.

From the comment on someone who watched 2nd episode I'm having hard time to digest the Campione! anime. Here I thought they would follow now the novel because they got the back story over already..... but what did they do next? what did salvatore show up early? And form someone who reads vol 1-4 and doesn't understand what's happening the story should start with first volume! this is not haruhi that do stuff in insane way!
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 14:12   Link #1728
Mura
Now or Never
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Mura Send a message via MSN to Mura Send a message via Skype™ to Mura
Salvatore's name was mentioned but was never seen. I just can't understand for the life of me why they couldn't start off how vol 1 did with Godou being in Italy first. They had to have him in Japan first THEN ship him to Italy to fight Erica.
__________________
Mura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 14:28   Link #1729
bludvein
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mura View Post
Salvatore's name was mentioned but was never seen. I just can't understand for the life of me why they couldn't start off how vol 1 did with Godou being in Italy first. They had to have him in Japan first THEN ship him to Italy to fight Erica.
I imagine its because the fight is a better climax for the episode than leaving off on a random point in Japan, even if it makes less sense. The chronology is all sorts of screwed up.

While im thinking about it, the anime really cheapens the whole dynamic with Erica as well. Several of her key character development points from vol 3/episode 1 were skipped, and their adventures during the time up to the present day were almost completely ignored rather than alluded to. It makes their whole relationship seem incredibly awkward at some points.
bludvein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 14:51   Link #1730
Athena
The Power of One
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
Research-wise, Horizon wins (the only series that plays with non-trivial mathematics, among so many other things)
Do the random and unknown soccer player names count as "research"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Horizon character-wise started with a large amount of characters, thus having few room to properly develop them on the spot, TV reviews from a fair amount of blogs says this is the biggest weakness of this series, more because the number keeps increasing later.
Index became a series like this too. The difference is that Index has core characters at different levels whereas you feel that Horizon simply has too many characters "equal" to each character. Plus, Index has this Magic vs. Science thing (don't know for NT though) that helps to classify the characters easily, which also makes it softer to read than Horizon.
__________________
Athena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 15:10   Link #1731
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
hmmm just wonder any update of the LN ? namely 3, 4,6,7??
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 19:25   Link #1732
Kadi
知識の探求者
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
From the comment on someone who watched 2nd episode I'm having hard time to digest the Campione! anime. [...] the story should start with first volume! this is not haruhi that do stuff in insane way!
Face it: There's no Campione anime. Call the anime Campi already, because it's missing so much.
And I agree that they should've started with V1. They could've easily reached C2 with the fight against Erica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bludvein View Post
I imagine its because the fight is a better climax for the episode than leaving off on a random point in Japan, even if it makes less sense. The chronology is all sorts of screwed up.

While im thinking about it, the anime really cheapens the whole dynamic with Erica as well. Several of her key character development points from vol 3/episode 1 were skipped, and their adventures during the time up to the present day were almost completely ignored rather than alluded to. It makes their whole relationship seem incredibly awkward at some points.
As I said, they could've started with V1 and reached the fight against Erica, easily, even with time left to fill.

Agreed on the cheapening of the relationships, though. Makes the whole thing generic. Not that Godou was more useful that a generic protag in the beginning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiRa08o2 View Post
Do the random and unknown soccer player names count as "research"?
Compared to including non-trivial mathematics... I don't think it's enough, sorry (but the soccer player names are a nice and unexpected detail...)
Kadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 21:01   Link #1733
kazzuya13
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
They should at least finish his adventure in Italy before coming back to japan.... Furthermore can Godou really 1 hit kill Verrethgana cause it was never seen or implied in the LN summaries that I read so far that he use the Ram(resurrection)incarnation.
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 23:16   Link #1734
XFire
Harem Seeker
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: In between the Light and Darkness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainb1 View Post
Who ends up with Godou? Or who do you think will end up with Godou?
All of them? The girls have pretty much begun calling themselves his harem by vol 5, you know.
__________________
XFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 05:19   Link #1735
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiRa08o2 View Post
Index became a series like this too. The difference is that Index has core characters at different levels whereas you feel that Horizon simply has too many characters "equal" to each character. Plus, Index has this Magic vs. Science thing (don't know for NT though) that helps to classify the characters easily, which also makes it softer to read than Horizon.
I think people should realized by now that Kamachi treat his characters like Strategy RPG party He has a large number of them in reserve, and each of them have very specific circumstances that requires them and very few of those characters will ever intersect with each other.

That means he doesn't have to bring the whole circus with him everywhere he goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadi View Post
Face it: There's no Campione anime. Call the anime Campi already, because it's missing so much.
And I agree that they should've started with V1. They could've easily reached C2 with the fight against Erica.
I have a different irk than most of you actually; My main problem with episode 2 is that I feel there's hardly a need to introduce so many characters and set up all these plot points.

There's no real need to introduce Amakusa, Voban, Liliana, Pandora etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
All of them? The girls have pretty much begun calling themselves his harem by vol 5, you know.
This is essentially a 'Maou' story, therefore it's pretty much going to be a straight up harem end.

Although Erica clearly is First Wife.
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 09:31   Link #1736
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I think people should realized by now that Kamachi treat his characters like Strategy RPG party He has a large number of them in reserve, and each of them have very specific circumstances that requires them and very few of those characters will ever intersect with each other.

That means he doesn't have to bring the whole circus with him everywhere he goes.



I have a different irk than most of you actually; My main problem with episode 2 is that I feel there's hardly a need to introduce so many characters and set up all these plot points.

There's no real need to introduce Amakusa, Voban, Liliana, Pandora etc.



This is essentially a 'Maou' story, therefore it's pretty much going to be a straight up harem end.

Although Erica clearly is First Wife.
Spoiler for first/legal wife:
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 09:38   Link #1737
mike211
CoNfuSeOnE
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
I guess it impossible to stay true to the LN, the anime is so different, it like a different story altogether.... but still enjoyable never the less.
__________________
Sorry, Image unavailable. Only awesome people can see it.

“Whatever your reasons may have been, you did what you did. Do not forget that the day will come when you must pay for it.”
mike211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 09:39   Link #1738
ReaperxKingx
Emperor of the Expected
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Florida
Spoiler for Wives:
ReaperxKingx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 09:46   Link #1739
Darth SpiderDen
Sekiryuutei
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
My major problem with the anime is the lack of the chants during combat, particularly Godou's chants when summoning Verethraganas power.
When reading the LN, reading those chants before a major attack always sent shivers down my spine and I was hoping hearing them in the anime. Instead we have Godou screaming and bam...
And the anime ruined his battle with Erica: the original one was more gripping and had better strategy to it. And the Boar ending would be hilarious with the way the LN made it.
Hugh, I'm even afraid to watch anymore.
__________________
Darth SpiderDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-14, 09:53   Link #1740
kaizerknight01
Extra Superior Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
@reaper i see i'll reread the LN at BT maybe i have miss a part thx for the info
kaizerknight01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, campione, ecchi, godslayer, harem, light novel, myth, romance, sd bunko, shounen, supernatural, time travel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.