AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-01-22, 17:11   Link #1
hollowification
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Send a message via MSN to hollowification
Itune & keris music program can i transfer paid for items?

hey i was thinking this is stupid question is i bought alot of song on itune can i transfer to samsung keris program
__________________
Those who can't see the mirror of the own reflection cannot Reflect the one true self
hollowification is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 20:16   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
This should be moved to the tech support forum.

I don't know what Samsung Keris is, and Googling didn't make it any clearer. The answer is, probably yes.

Music purchased through iTunes isn't stored within iTunes. It's a file on your computer. Most iTunes files are of the .m4a extension and encoded with the AAC codec. If the Samsung Keris doesn't support that file extension, you can create an AAC version through iTunes itself; if the Keris doesn't support AAC, there is free audio conversion software that will allow you to change the codec and file extension. You'll lose some audio quality in the process, but you likely won't notice the difference. I used to use CDeX for that purpose; it's older software that hasn't been updated in a long time (and it's not very user-friendly). There are likely newer, free alternatives.

If you bought music on iTunes a very long time ago, some of the music may have copy protection. I believe these files will have a .m4p extension instead of .m4a. In that case, even if the Keris supports AAC and .m4a, you may need to do some work on the files. You would need to get rid of the protection (use software like MyFairTunes).

(Note to moderators: getting around iTunes' copy protection is not in violation of the forum rules, as Apple has since removed copy protection from all of their music and even offered customers the ability to download copy protection-free versions if the purchase was made within the span of a year or so from when they removed the copy protections. I doubt it affects many people now, but it remains as an archaic thing that is no longer endorsed or supported by Apple.)
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-23, 12:53   Link #3
Dist
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to Dist
It's called Kies, not Keris .. o.o

Ps. It doesn't matter what Kies supports, its just a program used on your computer to transfer files to your phone. It's about what your phone supports..
__________________
The joys of a universe made and unmade, friends across time, shall be your ray of light
Dist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 08:08   Link #4
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Down under...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
If you bought music on iTunes a very long time ago, some of the music may have copy protection. I believe these files will have a .m4p extension instead of .m4a. In that case, even if the Keris supports AAC and .m4a, you may need to do some work on the files. You would need to get rid of the protection (use software like MyFairTunes).

(Note to moderators: getting around iTunes' copy protection is not in violation of the forum rules, as Apple has since removed copy protection from all of their music and even offered customers the ability to download copy protection-free versions if the purchase was made within the span of a year or so from when they removed the copy protections. I doubt it affects many people now, but it remains as an archaic thing that is no longer endorsed or supported by Apple.)
It seems that music bought off iTunes in the Japanese iTunes Store still appear to use Fairplay-protected AAC (.m4p). I haven't managed to test it out for a while though (it appears you cannot re-download previously purchased music, only Apps and Books).

Most phones and media software these days do support AAC (m4a), the audio format that music on iTunes currently sells in the other countries. Thus, you shouldn't really have problems playing back AAC audio on your phone, let alone importing said purchased music into the Samsung Kies software.
__________________
Dengekiko (Hyperdimension Neptunia)

"The world is full of obvious things which
nobody by any chance ever observes."
-
Sherlock Holmes


"Make sure you do a good job with your life's
footprint."
- Kanna Makino
blaze0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 17:48   Link #5
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey, United States
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
It seems that music bought off iTunes in the Japanese iTunes Store still appear to use Fairplay-protected AAC (.m4p). I haven't managed to test it out for a while though (it appears you cannot re-download previously purchased music, only Apps and Books).
Yes, you can redownload songs from iTunes. Just go to iTunes Store > Purchase. Then, you can download the songs you have purchased, but not on your computer.
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 19:19   Link #6
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Down under...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Yes, you can redownload songs from iTunes. Just go to iTunes Store > Purchase. Then, you can download the songs you have purchased, but not on your computer.
Seems I failed to mention that this doesn't apply in the Japanese iTunes Store... but for (most of) the other countries, you can redownload previously purchased songs.
Compare:

Australia:
Spoiler:

Japan:
Spoiler:
__________________
Dengekiko (Hyperdimension Neptunia)

"The world is full of obvious things which
nobody by any chance ever observes."
-
Sherlock Holmes


"Make sure you do a good job with your life's
footprint."
- Kanna Makino
blaze0041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-24, 21:25   Link #7
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey, United States
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Seems I failed to mention that this doesn't apply in the Japanese iTunes Store... but for (most of) the other countries, you can redownload previously purchased songs.
Compare:

Australia:
Spoiler:

Japan:
Spoiler:
That really sucks, which is a main reason I stick to buying CDs if I want to get Japanese music, even if it costs a bit more... especially if their songs are still DRMed. :/
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.