AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2012-03-27, 02:15   Link #20541
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Here is what a relevant statistic look like:

Around 65% of murder victims are killed by guns.

Why is there even a debate that gun is the murder weapon of choice in US? Sharp objects are a distant second and poison does not even have its own category.
What does that have to do with ease of killing?
You're mixing proverbial "apples and oranges" here.
The "weapon of choice" is not the same as how easily a weapon can kill.
So no, in so far as my conversation with aohige was concerned, your link is not relevent.
__________________

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-03-27 at 04:14.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 02:27   Link #20542
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
What does that have to do with ease of killing?
You're mixing proverbial "apples and oranges" here.
The "weapon of choice" is not the same as how easily a weapon can kill.
So no, in so far as my conversation with aohige was concerned, your link is not relevent.
If most murderers prefer to use a gun, it follows that most murderers believe that a gun is the best weapon for killing.

I don't know why the logic evades you. It is as straight-forward as it can get. It is quite interesting that you seem to believe a rare mass-suicide incident from the 70's gives a better picture than a simple statistic on weapon usage.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 02:36   Link #20543
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
If most murderers prefer to use a gun, it follows that most murderers believe that a gun is the best weapon for killing.

I don't know why the logic evades you. It is as straight-forward as it can get. It is quite interesting that you seem to believe a rare mass-suicide incident from the 70's gives a better picture than a simple statistic on weapon usage.
What does that have to do with the effectiveness of the weapon?
Jonestown shows how effective poison can be and was relevent to the discussion.
Whether a murder believes a firearm is best or not has nothing to do with this conversation.

Bomb Iran and it will surely decide to pursue nuclear arms

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...s-iraq-israel?

President Obama Asks Medvedev for ‘Space’ on Missile Defense — ‘After My Election I Have More Flexibility’


http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...e-flexibility/
__________________

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2012-03-27 at 04:33.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 03:09   Link #20544
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
I am sorry to say, but some of the recent posts will have to be deleted. We have told people plenty of times not to take things personally and this is exactly what has happened here.
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 04:55   Link #20545
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
President Obama Asks Medvedev for ‘Space’ on Missile Defense — ‘After My Election I Have More Flexibility’


http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...e-flexibility/
The thing is than it's true, if he is re-elected.
__________________

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 06:04   Link #20546
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

OTOH.... the US lets people buy guns without requiring any training at all or having them be part of an citizen's civil defense organization. That *is* stupid... but it used to be that you could depend on parents to teach their kids proper gun safety and use. We have a huge pack of people here now that have not been taught many things for a couple of generations -- much less about firearms :P
Minuteman culture? Most town defenses in the American history are made up of untrained soldiers with nothing more than experience from a few conflicts. Maybe that is also the reason why the Yanks have the "shoot-first, talk later" mentality; "mobilising" in a minute means to shoot in 1/60 of that.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 07:31   Link #20547
Jaden
Witch of Betrayal
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 26
Jail time for twitter bigotry in the UK.

It's far more retribution than he deserved...
__________________
Jaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 07:41   Link #20548
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Why Conservatives Are Smearing Trayvon Martin’s Reputation
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...eputation.html
Quote:
Conservatives like Geraldo Rivera are focusing on Trayvon’s tweets, appearance, school suspension over marijuana traces, and the hoodie he was wearing to blame him for his own death—and to show that his killing had nothing to do with racism.
__________________

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 08:48   Link #20549
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42° 10' N (Latitude) 87° 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
On this day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife_airport_disaster

Quote:
Why Conservatives Are Smearing Trayvon Martin’s Reputation
'cause they're a bunch of butthurt racists, as their ancestors lost the right to own slaves.

Anyways, it's a direct response to Obama saying that if he had a son, he'd look like Trayvon.

Last edited by Kyuu; 2012-03-27 at 09:09.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 09:35   Link #20550
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
One of the thing than's bugging me is than he shouldn't had wear his hoodie, that remind me of the time than a woman than was raped was said to have provoqued his agressor because whe was wearing a mini-skirt.
Conservative really want to go back to 1950.
__________________

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 11:01   Link #20551
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Al-Jazeera not to air video of French attacks


http://news.yahoo.com/al-jazeera-not...122512488.html

Trayvon Martin shooting: New details emerge from Twitter account, witness testimony


http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/...180103647.html

‘Stock Act’ sticks taxpayers with $1.7 million tab


http://washingtonexaminer.com/politi...ion-tab/408886

Smoke? Fire? Blame the cow
MF Global debacle calls for an industry-wide reckoning


http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/o...,1454249.story
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 12:04   Link #20552
Jaieni
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Physics Lab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Jail time for twitter bigotry in the UK.

It's far more retribution than he deserved...
A kid gets drunk, says some stupid crap on twitter, and now his life is ruined, good job UK!


Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
One of the thing than's bugging me is than he shouldn't had wear his hoodie, that remind me of the time than a woman than was raped was said to have provoqued his agressor because whe was wearing a mini-skirt.
Conservative really want to go back to 1950.
I had the same reaction. It was raining, he had a sweater with a hoodie, he should just leave it down?
Jaieni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 14:46   Link #20553
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
I don't care if Trayvon Martin wasn't a perfect child or had trouble at school. He was murdered. His shooter was a self-appointed neighborhood watch captain with no authority who was told by people of authority to not leave his car and to not pursue Trayvon, but he did anyway. He stalked the teen, a confrontation resulted, and he shot him. Zimmerman screwed up in more than one way in all of that, and is still a free man.

What if Trayvon attacked first? He was in a neighborhood with crime problems, and Zimmerman is a guy over ten years older, and he was stalking Trayvon. If Trayvon attacked first, ironically, it was probably out of self defense. We don't know if Trayvon attacked first, but I'm not willing to take Zimmerman's word on it. Of course he'd claim that Trayvon attacked first. We also know he said he was the one calling for help, not Trayvon, but several eyewitnesses said a teen was crying for help. Maybe both called for help, but Zimmerman said Trayvon wasn't calling for help. If he won't report the truth about that, what else will he lie about? What else has he lied about already?

And anyone saying Trayvon was asking for an assault because he was wearing a hoodie...what is wrong with some people?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 14:48   Link #20554
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
One of the thing than's bugging me is than he shouldn't had wear his hoodie, that remind me of the time than a woman than was raped was said to have provoqued his agressor because whe was wearing a mini-skirt.
Conservative really want to go back to 1950.
actually they want to go back to 1850 (before slaves were free and women had rights) but would probably settle for 1950.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 18:51   Link #20555
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
We also know he said he was the one calling for help, not Trayvon, but several eyewitnesses said a teen was crying for help. Maybe both called for help, but Zimmerman said Trayvon wasn't calling for help. If he won't report the truth about that, what else will he lie about? What else has he lied about already?
What a riot it would be if two men entered into a confrontation and both started hollering for help... what a funny mental image.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 20:38   Link #20556
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
In other news, "the stupid, it burns so..."

More than two-thirds of Americans disapprove of the way President Barack Obama is handling high gasoline prices, although most do not blame him for them, according to a Reuters/Ipsos online poll released on Tuesday.

Apparently, the "american people" can't connect even simple dots anymore ---
Sooooooo, its not his fault (which it isn't) but they disapprove of him over it. Eh?????

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82Q19Z20120327

Okay, I guess I disapprove of the guy down the street for the cost of my groceries this week, sure that works. :P
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 20:55   Link #20557
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
In other news, "the stupid, it burns so..."

More than two-thirds of Americans disapprove of the way President Barack Obama is handling high gasoline prices, although most do not blame him for them, according to a Reuters/Ipsos online poll released on Tuesday.

Apparently, the "american people" can't connect even simple dots anymore ---
Sooooooo, its not his fault (which it isn't) but they disapprove of him over it. Eh?????

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82Q19Z20120327

Okay, I guess I disapprove of the guy down the street for the cost of my groceries this week, sure that works. :P
Didn't the same thing happen with Bush?

Don't they understand that the President is not a dictator, he doesn't have the power to effect the price of gasoline.
Congress would have to reign in the speculators for that to happen, among other things.
Obama has nothing to do with AFAIK.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Here's a story I ddin't expect to find at WashPost.


Mich. militia members cleared of charges that accused them of plotting war against government


http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...all_&#comments


Somebody might be in trouble.

Officials try to determine if Colorado wildfire was ignited by controlled burn

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...7eS_story.html
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 21:54   Link #20558
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Chavez criticizes US take on crime in Venezuela
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-27-20-14-42
Quote:
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) -- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez is taking issue with the U.S. State Department for posting a statement advising travelers to beware of rampant violent crime in his country.

Chavez said Tuesday in Cuba during an appearance on Venezuelan state television that the South American country's security situation ought to be compared to that of the United States.
He really should had keep quiet this time. ''A problem 'inherited from the capitalist time' '' sound rather false, especialy if the problem is increasing as it is now and than he is in office since 1999.
__________________

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 22:03   Link #20559
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Chavez criticizes US take on crime in Venezuela
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...03-27-20-14-42

He really should had keep quiet this time. ''A problem 'inherited from the capitalist time' '' sound rather false, especialy if the problem is increasing as it is now and than he is in office since 1999.
Classic "cult of Chavez" ... no more "socialist" than the previous regimes were "capitalist", he's about himself
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-27, 22:43   Link #20560
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
What a riot it would be if two men entered into a confrontation and both started hollering for help... what a funny mental image.
You saying that both weren't calling for help; you think only one of them would be? Because now that you mention it, both of them calling for help at the same time would be odd. But what if one was yelling for help when the other had the upper hand, and then the tables turn and the other person was yelling for help. Maybe that is what happened. That is what I had in mind when I wrote "maybe both called for help".
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.