AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-04-23, 11:20   Link #2361
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04...cused_of_bias/

I guess the trial was not fair for TPB from the start because of a biased trial...
Given the nature of the ruling's logic -- I was already guessing technology incompetence in the opening parts of it. Now we have evidence of at the very least prejudicial malfeasance. I've always thought it a weak part of Western judicial systems that it was left up to the judge themselves to recuse themselves if the appearance of conflict-of-interest was there (rather than have a panel of other judges sign off on their neutrality).

Now, even if one thought the ruling was just ... its been tainted.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 11:45   Link #2362
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
TPB is a really crappy torrent tracker anyway, not a loss by any means.
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 12:03   Link #2363
Langknow
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: www.youtube.com/langknow
So the SMAP member , Kunasagi got arrested for being naked in a park, and it seems the whole of Japanese is in shambles right now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090423...mearrestpeople
__________________
Check out my other Japanese song covers at:

http://www.youtube.com/langknow
Langknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 12:04   Link #2364
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
TPB is a really crappy torrent tracker anyway, not a loss by any means.
That isn't what the discussion was about (though, yeah I agree with the sentiment ). Bad or good -- the focus needs to be on what copyright should look like in terms of balancing Fair Use, Public Domain, and the Creative Commons against the interests of those who would create a concept called "intellectual property" and who would subvert copyright into a permanent free-ride for a cartel.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-04-23 at 12:28.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 14:23   Link #2365
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langknow View Post
So the SMAP member , Kunasagi got arrested for being naked in a park, and it seems the whole of Japanese is in shambles right now.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090423...mearrestpeople
He raises a good question, yeah?

"What's wrong with being naked?" XD
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 14:54   Link #2366
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
5-year jail term sought for Komuro in copyright fraud

Quote:
"His perception of the value of money defies common sense. He needs severe punishment to make him realize his responsibility," a prosecutor said.
So true..

And this is the great keyboardist Komuro Tetsuya?

__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 15:25   Link #2367
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakashi View Post
Unfortunately, implementing that kind of system in a competitive economic enviroment wouldn't be so simple. Especially in the US, where people will simply disregard it as socialist. Not such a problem on a tiny island whose inhabitants are mostly fishers and the elderly.

eta: I do like the idea of 'work-sharing' though, even if it's a bit of a book-keeping-trick, maintaining employment figures is important for that vital economic ingredient -- confidence.
Agreed on all account which is I found it so interesting a read. Any such attempt in the most society, especially in Europe and N. America, will have guy running continents as the angry mob of crowd diligently follows with shovel and tomatoes (the british, the still use tomatoes, right? or was it shoes? )

Work sharing? I lol'ed. And did you read about the women in the island? All those steretypes in anime for your homely, devoted female might not be too far fetched after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I suspect that the Las Plagas have been released on that island.


I know I will visit Hime Island as soon as the opportunity arise. *fingers crossed*
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 15:45   Link #2368
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
We (France) have tried to share work. By reducing the legal amount of weekly work from 39 hours to 35. Not exactly a resounding success.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 17:18   Link #2369
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
We (France) have tried to share work. By reducing the legal amount of weekly work from 39 hours to 35. Not exactly a resounding success.
There's a difference in approach and scale. What works fine in a small town or village where most people know each other might not work as well on a national level with complete strangers.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 18:28   Link #2370
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Jersey, United States
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to chikorita157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
That isn't what the discussion was about (though, yeah I agree with the sentiment ). Bad or good -- the focus needs to be on what copyright should look like in terms of balancing Fair Use, Public Domain, and the Creative Commons against the interests of those who would create a concept called "intellectual property" and who would subvert copyright into a permanent free-ride for a cartel.
I think the definition of copyright got mangled due to the DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) because the music and movie industry are too overzealous and blaming people for piracy, mainly because prices of music cds and movies are too high and not at a fair price... Like mention earlier, DRM is a anti-competitive, anti-consumer technology which is illegal to circumvent in the DMCA, even for backup use. Also, DMCA prevents innovation. I think DMCA needs to be reform so it won't be as harsh and preserve "fair use" rights which DMCA mostly take away.

TPB trial case is important with this because piracy isn't like shoplifting a music cd from a store... How about lending a movie or CD to a friend, would that count as piracy as well?
__________________
chikorita157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 18:44   Link #2371
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
No the stupidity in Piracy is that these companies think that one pirated copy= 1 sale loss, thats just asinine. The fact that it can be obtaiend for free is why some people just choose to obtain it that way. Also with games/movies/cds its EASIER to pirate than actually buy a legitimate copy with all the drm and restricitions to the songs that you own. Its really stupid how these companies want to tell me how, when , where i can play the music I BOUGHT its completely asinine, thats why I don't buy music, the only music I get is from radio, internet radio and before ruckus, but that got shut down, anyway i feel that these companies are trying to cling to broken technologies and just don't understand what the consumer want.

One thing that is good about tpb, is for rare or older things there will always be a tracker with 1-2 seeds, the problem with private trackers is that it plays into epeen a lot, so much that some people buy seeder bots, just to up your ratio, and its really an unfriendly environment for newbies who rack up terrible ratios and eventually get kicked.

Last edited by Nosauz; 2009-04-23 at 18:54.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 19:35   Link #2372
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
TPB trial case is important with this because piracy isn't like shoplifting a music cd from a store... How about lending a movie or CD to a friend, would that count as piracy as well?
Your first point is abit overused, but your second point is something fresh I would like to comment on.

In Australia, my friends reported that they TRADE video games, especially those with low replayability like Final Fantasy. And that isn't even counted as illegal because they bought the games off the shelves.

Over at where I live, there is a place which RENT OUT videogames. But it does not have titles which limit installations like Bioshock, so that is one big damn pity.

Besides a current -accidental- countermeasure that is overlooked is the size of the files in the game, not the DRMs that deters download (imagine downloading a 10GB file to play on your computer, and if your hard drive has got low spin rates, good luck to it in a few months). Since content increases space, it would be better if the producers and distributors work together to increase the amount of content and the quality of content. At least it gives fans a reason to buy their games.

Direct2Drive is an excellent service that increases availability of PC games, so why not market in that direction at this age of information technology rather than creating protections that increase production costs?

Alcohol 120% and Daemontools are not foolproof emulators because it does increase loading times if the image is too big, if the makers are willing to put more effort into their content rather than meeting deadlines all the time, we would certainly have less of these cases happening.

P.S TPB isn't that bad compared to Mininova and some others. BtChina would have outstripped it if not for its Chinese.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 19:44   Link #2373
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
SSD, thats all I gotta say, and then your acutally storage discs in raid... oh does it make running anything smooth as ice, anyway thats my point with the industry, they want to control everything down to a T, but there really isn't incentive to provide the consumer with a better experience because their out ther policing everything. If I buy a CD, we are not even talking about the god awful tracks that are filler, but if I buy a CD I will damn well play that music when, where and how I want because thats the notion of owner ship, I have purchased it, does it mean that if my dad hears the song while i'm playing it that I'm pirating music I purchased? If I let my friend listen to it as i bop my head to it while we're hanging out, is that piracy? The way these companies try to mass produce music and then DICTATE how we use and consume that product just drives me nuts.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 20:23   Link #2374
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: τη λαnδ of веагз αnδ дг
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikorita157 View Post
Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04...cused_of_bias/

I guess the trial was not fair for TPB from the start because of a biased trial...
Those guys need to organize better. The trial is over and they just found out that connection? Or maybe they knew, and they wanted to keep it to themselves so that they can make the other side lose credibility if they lost and disclosed the connection.

But somebody should whisper in the ears of those copyright protectors that in the hands of an average pirate, Google plus rapidshare/megaupload/etc. is a much more powerful weapon than piratebay to access their content illegally.
__________________
Fipskuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 20:53   Link #2375
ClockWorkAngel
Aspiring Aspirer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Somewhere Over The Rainbow, Canada
Age: 22
Send a message via MSN to ClockWorkAngel
I'm on the side that its TPB's intentions to smear the Pro-copyright group's image as much as possible to garter public support. Once they know that the trial was "Biased" and people's minds wander off to things like bribery etc, there'll be an uproar. Of course we don't know if it'll change anything really.
__________________

Credit To Risa-chan!
ClockWorkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-23, 23:08   Link #2376
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Has anyone read this article on Hime Island, Japan. This pretty obscure island has received a lot of attention during the past few weeks in Japan.

Considering how the trouble with economy is a global phenomenon, the article is pretty interesting to say the least.
I love this island Modern Icelandic tribalism Japanese style... (obligatory reference to Monty Python and the Holy Grail's "We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune.")
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 07:37   Link #2377
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
I'm on the side that its TPB's intentions to smear the Pro-copyright group's image as much as possible to garter public support. Once they know that the trial was "Biased" and people's minds wander off to things like bribery etc, there'll be an uproar. Of course we don't know if it'll change anything really.
Well when the entertainment industry is in the business to entertain, they do very little of it. I just find that politicians are all about protecting big business and not the consumers. I'm all for for profit companies but the way the industry treats their customers as shifty eyed shoplifters just drives me nuts. Complacancy and apathy is the reason why people let their elected officials accept biased points of view.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 08:51   Link #2378
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV, USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Has anyone read this article on Hime Island, Japan. This pretty obscure island has received a lot of attention during the past few weeks in Japan.

Considering how the trouble with economy is a global phenomenon, the article is pretty interesting to say the least.
...it sounds like a creepy place to me. Aging island, neck-deep conformity, reactionary conservatism. Ugh.

That, and the article itself said that the island escaped perennial poverty by riding on LDP's pork money. While its current economy is practically too insular to suffer much from a global downturn, it's not exactly a stellar display of communal triumph. The Soviet Union didn't suffer much from the Great Depression either, but I'm pretty sure life in the 1930's USSR wasn't what we would call the pinnacle of human affluence. You can make an insular commune and survive just fine, but it would be naive to apply this to any economy bigger than an island's worth without actual large scale experiments.

Sadly the big ones either collapsed from endemic perversion or outside influences. We will never get to see what could have come out of Barcelona circa 1937, while Central Planning continentally applied proved disastrous in the backdrop of Stalinism.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 08:57   Link #2379
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
@Irenicus: Thanks for the hint. I have this in my mind.

Japan: Aging nation, chest level conformity, conservatism. Reminds me of Italy, only worse.
__________________
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-24, 09:14   Link #2380
Kakashi
カカシ
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Agreed on all account which is I found it so interesting a read. Any such attempt in the most society, especially in Europe and N. America, will have guy running continents as the angry mob of crowd diligently follows with shovel and tomatoes (the british, the still use tomatoes, right? or was it shoes? )
Tomatoes are preferred, especially in theatre, but shoes are generally more accessible as projectiles. With Labour (centre-left) becoming increasingly unpopular in Britain, we're more likely to swing to the right than to adopt this kind of policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
We (France) have tried to share work. By reducing the legal amount of weekly work from 39 hours to 35. Not exactly a resounding success.
Japan seems to like the idea.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Japan-...-14421121.html
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0090107a2.html

Last edited by Kakashi; 2009-04-24 at 10:33. Reason: links
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.