AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-09, 00:40   Link #26301
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post

Here's a good satellite image of the storm that shows its circulation pattern:

I'm usually not one to get too preoccupied with the weather, but this is really quite a storm. I haven't seen this much snow accumulate in some time.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 04:56   Link #26302
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Not saying whether LAPD is corrupt or not, but I don't place much worth in the words of someone who feels he's justified in killing innocent civilians over employment issues.

Whatever the LAPD may be, Dorner himself is a disgrace of an LE officer, a Navy officer, and a sorry excuse of a human being.
Absolutely, but his words are important if we intend to have a fair rule of law and a better society. It's another case of someone snapping and doing something that drags innocent people down with them, but if we just turn a blind eye to all that led to that by hand waving it as "some crazy", nothing will ever change.

It is well known that the LAPD has had serious problems for decades (sadly, it's not unusual for many police to overstep their bounds in America), and this incident doesn't help, especially when they too are now responsible for innocent being hurt in their pursuit of him. His actions are reprehensible, even if he felt there was no other choice, but they shouldn't invalidate his words. If there actually is this level (or more) of corruption in the LAPD, that's just more time bombs like him waiting to go off, not to mention all the effects on innocents. If he's right, and we ignore it, we've given a free pass to police brutality, bribery, and all of those things we never want cops to be.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 13:14   Link #26303
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Here is the unedited, uncut, version of Chris Dorner's manifesto directly from facebook.

http://boywithgrenade.org/2013/02/07...ers-manifesto/

It also has the verdict in the DORNER v. LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT case.
I was fortunate enough to be following this from the begining and saw the original posting on facebook before they took it down (KTTV in LA had it on their website also).
The LAPD are the ones that requested it be taken down because they obviously have a reason to hide much of it.
The parts that the media are cutting out show Dorner's character and political leanings, which does not fit in the anti-2nd amendment agenda the MSM is pushing.
Yes, he is a left-wing, gun control freak, and the main stream media is doing damage control right now because of that fact.
Thankfully there are independent media sources that saw that as a possibility and preserved the original facebook manifesto.

EDIT: KTTV now has the link to the manifesto back up (after they redacted all the names of the police officers of LAPD).

http://www.myfoxla.com/story/2101885...about-slayings
__________________

Last edited by GundamFan0083; 2013-02-09 at 13:58.
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 15:35   Link #26304
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
http://www.npr.org/2013/02/09/171512...ne?ft=1&f=1001

The spotlight needs to be kept on the LAPD and like-wise dysfunctional law enforcement as well as the people who finally snap under the bullshit.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 01:23   Link #26305
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Seattle mayor grounds police drone program
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...91704H20130208
Quote:
A plan by Seattle police to send aloft miniature robot drones equipped with stealth spy cameras has been grounded, following heated criticism of the project by residents concerned about privacy rights, the mayor said on Thursday.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 16:36   Link #26306
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Number of Soviet System Supporters Grows in Russia

Quote:
MOSCOW, February 8 (RIA Novosti) The number of people who support the Soviet political system has grown in Russia, a survey published by the Russian independent pollster Levada Center found.
Today, 36 percent of Russians regard the Soviet system as the best one for the country, compared to 29 percent in 2012. The number of Western democracy supporters has fallen from 29 percent to 22 percent, Levada Center reported. Only 17 percent said they remain loyal to the existing political system, a three percent drop from last year.
http://en.rian.ru/russia/20130208/179305284.html
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 16:42   Link #26307
KiraYamatoFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
No one ever said transition from communism to capitalism would be easy, but from there to want going back into the past? People can't be serious about that if they know what the Soviet system was about; Gorbatchev had to destroy it because it became too dangerous of a system.
__________________
GREEN AND GOLD STRONG. GLAZERS OUT!
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 16:45   Link #26308
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Wasn't the extended Cold War generally used as evidence that the Soviet System was a failure outside an actual hot war (it did well fighting the Germans once it got its industrial head together in 1942 and 1943.) Though the Americans did about the same thing on the industrial level. Don't out tech the Germans, just outnumber them. 50,000 T-34s and 50,000 M4 Shermans do just about that even if the newer German tanks can take both on at at least 5:1 ratio. If the Germans are outnumbered by 20:1...they still lose.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 16:48   Link #26309
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Actually since the 1980s, there is no more "capitalism" or "communism".

Just "Corporatism" - it is either the American version (with banks and media at the top) or the Russian version (with gas giants and ex-KGB/government at the top).
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 16:54   Link #26310
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
No one ever said transition from communism to capitalism would be easy, but from there to want going back into the past? People can't be serious about that if they know what the Soviet system was about; Gorbatchev had to destroy it because it became too dangerous of a system.
Capitalism without democracy is just as dangerous. With oligarchs controlling the state and economy which in turn causes massive inequality, I can understand why a lot of people feel nostalgia for Soviet times.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 17:14   Link #26311
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Capitalism without democracy is just as dangerous. With oligarchs controlling the state and economy which in turn causes massive inequality, I can understand why a lot of people feel nostalgia for Soviet times.
That is called Corporatism. And what you have said is bullshit! Corporations taking over the world are better! For the Syndicates!
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 17:25   Link #26312
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Hey guys, noticed it hasn't really been mentioned, but what are your thoughts on the recent Horsemeat being found in Beef mince scare doing the rounds in Europe?

Latest evidence seems to indicate the source might be Romania, where horses were recently banned from the roads.

I'm just glad I don't eat any processed meals (though I do like using raw Beef mince when I cook), however I probably wouldn't mind trying horsemeat, but it's wrong to label Horse as Beef. You guys think the Horsemeat could be coming from elsewhere?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 17:31   Link #26313
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Horse meat isn't taboo here. Mislabeling is a bigger issue, though.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 17:32   Link #26314
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Hey guys, noticed it hasn't really been mentioned, but what are your thoughts on the recent Horsemeat being found in Beef mince scare doing the rounds in Europe?

Latest evidence seems to indicate the source might be Romania, where horses were recently banned from the roads.

I'm just glad I don't eat any processed meals (though I do like using raw Beef mince when I cook), however I probably wouldn't mind trying horsemeat, but it's wrong to label Horse as Beef. You guys think the Horsemeat could be coming from elsewhere?
Dunno about the details but a sudden surplus of horses without a use is a good bet

I've had horsemeat. It isn't really raised for eating so its leaner. The only problem I see is that it is mislabeled and if there are standards for raising livestock and preparation of cuts those have probably been violated as well.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 17:45   Link #26315
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Hey guys, noticed it hasn't really been mentioned, but what are your thoughts on the recent Horsemeat being found in Beef mince scare doing the rounds in Europe?

Latest evidence seems to indicate the source might be Romania, where horses were recently banned from the roads.

I'm just glad I don't eat any processed meals (though I do like using raw Beef mince when I cook), however I probably wouldn't mind trying horsemeat, but it's wrong to label Horse as Beef. You guys think the Horsemeat could be coming from elsewhere?
The company should face legal action for violating food regulations. Consumers pay for what is on the label.

Horse meat was common in supermarkets when I grew up. I can't see it as different from any other cattle. It's been on the decline for a long time due to limited supply. The last specialized butcher closed down in my area a few years back. Although lately it's seen somewhat of a comeback as the poor economy increased the availability of recreational horses.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 18:09   Link #26316
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Actually that reminded me of a Garfield comic strip, I'll see if I can find that comic book then scan it.

EDIT : Nevermind, found it.

__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 21:12   Link #26317
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
"Since Pakistan began building nukes in the late 1990s it has tried to screen
personnel who guard the atomic bombs to bar pro-terrorist officers and troops. This
has not been completely successful and the army is concerned about the growing
number of pro-terrorists officers and soldiers who have slipped past the screening
and are now part of the nuclear weapon protection force."

See:

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/indi.../20130210.aspx
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 23:12   Link #26318
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Greeks forgo winter heating after jump in fuel tax
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9160R220130207
Quote:
Greek cleaner Eleni Daneel's family spends evenings in their Athens home bundled up in coats after a steep rise in fuel prices made heating their apartment an unaffordable luxury this winter.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 01:11   Link #26319
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Greeks forgo winter heating after jump in fuel tax
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9160R220130207
someone want to explain to me again how it wold be worst for the Greeks if they left the Euro?
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-11, 01:52   Link #26320
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Money depends on trust. Greece not using euro would mean that they need a new currency, one which would be worthless due to the lack of trust in the money.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.