AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-05-28, 22:41   Link #2761
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
US President Barack Obama says he is confident that Israel will recognise that a two-state solution is in the best interests of its security.

This is some good news about the Middle East. As a supporter of peace of the Mid East, I was always irked due to the fact the Bush Administration did nothing about Israel actions against the Palestinians & especially the illegal settlements because they didn't wanted to be accuses by some as Anti-Semitic especially among americans who support Israel even when Israel when to all out battle with Hamas, they remain passive when civilians got hurt in the crossfire & blaming everything on Hamas(when actually both sides were equally responsible.).

With the Obama administrations telling Israel to stop the expansions of settlements (an act not heard by a US politician since the 1980's when a Senator complain about US citizens donating to the settlements before being force to quit because of accusations that he was an Anti-Semitic) and accept the two state solutions whether they like it or not (PM Netanyahu party doesn't support a 2 state solution) , these tough words tells me, that US is finally tired of protecting Israel from all the trouble it has cause and wants it & the Palestinians to finally settle down & make peace, whether both sides like it or not, even it is for their own good & and for the world.
__________________
MrTerrorist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 00:57   Link #2762
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
S. Korea holds funeral for former President Roh Moo Hyun

Considering that he was a former human rights lawyer and an anti-corruption campaigner, his suicide over bribery is definitely surprising, especially that he was also the former president of a nation.

It would have been quite a tragedy if it turned out that the guy had gone for a walk at the mountains and decided to gaze into the city below the cliff, reminiscing of the time he was the leader of the nation, then suddenly.. Some mountain climbers walked by getting the wrong idea that the ex-president was contemplating suicide but was somewhat indecisive and thus, they decided to provide assistance in the name of euthanasia. In the end, the guy fell off the cliff and died. However, this isn't the case as that it has been confirmed it is a suicide. May Roh Moo-hyun rest in peace!
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 01:20   Link #2763
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
S. Korea holds funeral for former President Roh Moo Hyun

Considering that he was a former human rights lawyer and an anti-corruption campaigner, his suicide over bribery is definitely surprising, especially that he was also the former president of a nation.

It would have been quite a tragedy if it turned out that the guy had gone for a walk at the mountains and decided to gaze into the city below the cliff, reminiscing of the time he was the leader of the nation, then suddenly.. Some mountain climbers walked by getting the wrong idea that the ex-president was contemplating suicide but was somewhat indecisive and thus, they decided to provide assistance in the name of euthanasia. In the end, the guy fell off the cliff and died. However, this isn't the case as that it has been confirmed it is a suicide. May Roh Moo-hyun rest in peace!

The guy could've had his chance to vindicate himself in court, yet he chose to die with a tainted reputation, possibly taking Budd Dwyer as a model to guilt trip his accusers. This is a douche move, quite frankly.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 02:48   Link #2764
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Unnecessary
Age: 28
Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Too Much Cola Can Cause Muscle Problems

http://health.yahoo.com/news/healthd...eproblems.html

The cases seem extreme... I don't think the average person drinks 3 liters of coke a day.

Me maybe 20oz at most.
__________________

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 03:02   Link #2765
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
Yeah, I read that article. Most, if not all, people already know that Cola is pretty darn unhealthy to begin with, so that you'd experience trouble if you consistently drink several liters of it per day is not surprising in the slightest.

I am, however, surprised that anyone would be able to chug down 9 liters per day. That hardly seems feasible.
__________________
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 03:12   Link #2766
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Minato View Post
And thus, the blame of the agreed framework has nothing to do with any nation as that the agreed framework was trash to begin with; it was merely something China came up with to stall time which benefits everybody as that nobody want to be involved with a military conflict or sour bilateral ties with the problematic North Korea, yet at the same time.. Nobody wishes the collapse of their regime as that their citizens may end up as immigrants that feed on the economy of others. In other words, regardless of the administration or leadership of the United States, it does not matter when it comes to dealing with North Korea as that things are proceeding the way it should have been, no matter how you look at it even from different perspectives. North Korea's actions are most likely predicted and it happened just the right timing too.
I'd write a full refutation to everything you've written, but having exams and whatnot makes that difficult. And most of what you wrote wasn't really related to what I said. I'll say one thing though; I don't think you know what the Agreed Framework is. It was a bilateral agreement between the U.S. and North Koreans, subsequently scuppered by George Bush and the Republicans. Nothing to do with the Chinese.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 06:57   Link #2767
Tri-ring
The Censor Bat
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Land of the rising sun
Manga Collection Ruled "Child Pornography" By US Court

Well looks as Americans did it again.
Quote:
Excerpt

An Iowa man was convicted of possessing child pornography last week because some of the books in his vast collection of Japanese manga (comics) appeared to depict minors engaged in sexual acts. How exactly can a court determine whether a comic book character is a "minor" or not?

39-year-old Christopher Handley, an office worker, was brought up on charges of possessing child pornography in 2006 when customs officials seized a package for him. It contained several manga, some of which were "lolicon" that showed what officials said were children being sexually abused. There were also images of bestiality. Handley has a huge collection of manga, and only a few are lolicon. He also had absolutely no child pornography of any description in his house or on his computer.
Any opinion?
__________________
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:02   Link #2768
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
That is a reason why to save trouble, I probably would rather travel overseas, buy stuff in person and use wrapping.
__________________
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:06   Link #2769
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
That is a reason why to save trouble, I probably would rather travel overseas, buy stuff in person and use wrapping.
Or better yet, go use "shady" methods.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:16   Link #2770
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
http://health.yahoo.com/news/healthd...eproblems.html

The cases seem extreme... I don't think the average person drinks 3 liters of coke a day.

Me maybe 20oz at most.
I don't know if it counts, but after a period of tough training it is more likely that you want comfort food, and cola seems to be one of the main ones on the least. Besides the caffeine content should make you feel high and want more, thus the epic chugging of cola by the pound. I know an army buddy who tanked an entire 1.5L bottle of cola without pause after a week at outfield and got an asthma attack.

Actually it goes the same for carbonated drinks, and it is best not to take them RIGHT AFTER exercising.

Though I am pretty doubtful about carbonation attaching to muscle fibers or reducing ion levels in the bloodstream, because blood is a natural buffer and can stabilise the original pH even when high amounts of alien elements are introduced to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Manga Collection Ruled "Child Pornography" By US Court

Well looks as Americans did it again.


Any opinion?
I usually get mine through interesting means. Never had a problem other than an odd court case, but it fell through anyway. :P
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:26   Link #2771
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
I dunno man, but I make it a point to spike my blood sugar before hitting the gym. Its easier to do HIIT when you drink something sweet beforehand.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:38   Link #2772
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingle View Post
I dunno man, but I make it a point to spike my blood sugar before hitting the gym. Its easier to do HIIT when you drink something sweet beforehand.
You should be drinking it after, that is when the insulin spike is more beneficial.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:39   Link #2773
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
You should be drinking it after, that is when the insulin spike is more beneficial.
Ill see if that works.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:47   Link #2774
Shadow Kira01
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: PMB Headquarters
NKorea test-fires missile, slams Security Council

It seems that North Korea has once again test-fired missiles; they had been doing it for 3 days in one week, not mentioning that there is still a day left to the week.

More importantly, it seems wrong that North Korea is now calling any strong UNSC resolutions as "provocations" and that they will respond with "strong self-defense countermeasures" as if they have suddenly became the heroes while everyone else has just turned into villians as soon as North Korea successfully tested a nuke recently.

Chapter VII of the UN Charter as part of the UNSC draft resolution implies taking military action and the fact that this has become the most feasible solution just leaves one issue. As that news flow quickly throughout the world outside of North Korea meaning that the North Koreans are well-aware of their circumstances as that they will soon be attacked for their serious hostile actions but what happens if North Korea decides to pull off a pre-emptive during this period of time in which the world debate and discuss on a solution? News inside North Korea is controlled and thus, it is only obvious that we have no clue as to how the situation stands over there and what plots are they planning.

For that matter, what worries me the most is that North Korea may decide to pull off a pre-emptive at Japan over the UNSC resolution as that they don't have enough range to attack any other nation. More importantly, how many nuclear warheads does North Korea have? If they fire cruise missiles, the SDF may be able to intercept it while minimizing casualties and destroyed infrastructure but what happens if they fire nukes as well as cruise missiles? Considering what North Korea has done lately, I believe they dare pull it off..

Unlike regimes such as theirs, military action in democratic and civilized nations requires a long period of discussions and debates which actually serves the purpose of granting the enemies a pre-emptive, as well as free time to do as they please. Considering that North Korea had recently tested a nuke and it was a success, it is only reasonable to assume that they have more than one nuclear warhead in their weaponry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic View Post
I'd write a full refutation to everything you've written, but having exams and whatnot makes that difficult. And most of what you wrote wasn't really related to what I said. I'll say one thing though; I don't think you know what the Agreed Framework is. It was a bilateral agreement between the U.S. and North Koreans, subsequently scuppered by George Bush and the Republicans. Nothing to do with the Chinese.
The agreed framework is the six-party talks, no?

Even if that is the case, it won't change anything as that agreed framework between nations such as the ones relevant to this issue involving North Korea are usually ineffective. Or rather to say, agreed framework is something invoked between allies, not with enemies as that they will either agree to it when it benefits them for some sort of reason that the one who proposes the idea have no clue about and they will eventually revoke the agreed framework once they see a good opportunity, such as now.

Although you claim that it has nothing to do with the Chinese, yet at the same time, you are also claiming that the Agreed Framework worked at best during the era of Clinton which means you are contradicting yourself. The involved parties are North Korea and the Clinton Administration, am I not correct? North Korea was originally a mere pawn of the Chinese, while that it has already been confirmed that the Clinton Administration was somewhat corrupted as that the president had some those under-table deals with the Chinese. For that matter, it is only reasonable to assume that any Agreed Framework between North Korea and the Clinton Administration involves the Chinese rather than it doesn't.

Due to a variety of reasons including Bush infamous Iraq War, a majority of Americans are seeing light in the old Clinton Administration, not mentioning that some of which are actually being negatively influenced by propaganda while others are just plain angry over the Iraq War and the faltering economy. This also explains why Obama had adopted a rollback to the era of the Clinton Administration when coming up with policies in general, not mentioning that he also had retained some of the old Clinton Administration bigwigs to work under his leadership. However, regardless of all this, Obama is still not Clinton as that they are two different people and thus, there are obviously differences as to how they handle things. As of now, Obama is a lot more popular than the old Clinton Administration with high approval ratings of over 60%.

Quote:
One was a 21-year-old woman who drank up to three liters of cola a day and complained of fatigue, appetite loss and persistent vomiting. An electrocardiogram revealed she had a heart blockage, and blood tests showed she had low potassium levels, the researchers explained in a news release.
3 liters a day is definitely too much but the fact that it caused heart blockage is something new to me. Can excessive consumption of cola cause heart blockage which may in term cause death as a result of late treatment or no treatment?

Quote:
The second pregnant patient, who'd consumed up to seven liters of cola a day for 10 months, had low potassium levels and was suffering from increasing muscular weakness, the researchers noted.
I guess I read it wrong.. Why would a pregnant lady want to drink 7 liters of cola a day?! For a period of 10 months, it doesn't sound like a big deal. Perhaps, the muscle problems are only relevant to ones during pregnancy but from the sound of the report, it implies that these muscle problems also apply to everyone in general.
__________________
Shadow Kira01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 07:58   Link #2775
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
whoa 7 liters of Coke per day!?!!! I'll be surprised if her bones aren't rotten yet by all that stuff. She should have osteoporosis by now!
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 08:19   Link #2776
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Manga Collection Ruled "Child Pornography" By US Court

Well looks as Americans did it again.


Any opinion?
The child porn charges were dismissed. He plead guilty to possession of "obscene material" and transporting it across state lines. The court actually ruled they weren't child porn by dismissing those charges. Obsenity charges are harder to beat. Since obsenity is really subjective in the end, all the prosecutor has to show is the material in question would be considered obscene by most people in the community. Though I still say he should have gone to trial. Even if he was convicted, there'd be a chance on appeal.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 13:06   Link #2777
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
The child porn charges were dismissed. He plead guilty to possession of "obscene material" and transporting it across state lines. The court actually ruled they weren't child porn by dismissing those charges. Obsenity charges are harder to beat. Since obsenity is really subjective in the end, all the prosecutor has to show is the material in question would be considered obscene by most people in the community. Though I still say he should have gone to trial. Even if he was convicted, there'd be a chance on appeal.
Aye, the article linked to is actually misleading as to what he was actually convicted of. However, it is *still* a steaming pile of crap. Basically, some prosecuting team got to notch their belt while accomplishing NOTHING "for the children". I'm sorry he wasn't able to fight this up through court system because really it had no merit.

The line of thinking that drawn material somehow harms any real person is a form of insanity. Read the law, its a horrible piece of grammar shit murkiness ... a series like Negima fails in spades.

Curious though, it has me wondering what they considered "bestiality".... (sex with catgirls?). I guess that makes Star Trek a regular bestial romp with all the inter-species sex. Idiots.
__________________

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-05-29 at 13:24.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 15:02   Link #2778
KimmyChan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Three convicted of petrol murder -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/8073886.stm

I was ever so shocked & disgusted when I saw about this on my local news programme on TV earlier
KimmyChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 05:03   Link #2779
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
US President Barack Obama says he is confident that Israel will recognise that a two-state solution is in the best interests of its security.

This is some good news about the Middle East. As a supporter of peace of the Mid East, I was always irked due to the fact the Bush Administration did nothing about Israel actions against the Palestinians & especially the illegal settlements because they didn't wanted to be accuses by some as Anti-Semitic especially among americans who support Israel even when Israel when to all out battle with Hamas, they remain passive when civilians got hurt in the crossfire & blaming everything on Hamas(when actually both sides were equally responsible.).

With the Obama administrations telling Israel to stop the expansions of settlements (an act not heard by a US politician since the 1980's when a Senator complain about US citizens donating to the settlements before being force to quit because of accusations that he was an Anti-Semitic) and accept the two state solutions whether they like it or not (PM Netanyahu party doesn't support a 2 state solution) , these tough words tells me, that US is finally tired of protecting Israel from all the trouble it has cause and wants it & the Palestinians to finally settle down & make peace, whether both sides like it or not, even it is for their own good & and for the world.

A)both sides were not EQUALLY responsible (both sides may have been resposible, but not equally)
when one side uses their own civilians as human shields and at times even EXECUTES THEM during the conflict, that side bares the larger share of the blame
its nice that you want to try and make the conflict less black and white
but there MANY shades of grey
and hamas happens to be on the very dark edge of the spectrum

B)obama can put as much pressure as he wants on netanyahu but it wont make much difference
netanyahu's own party has less then 25% of the votes
which means that to say in power he has to relay on even MORE extreme parties in his goverment
which means that even IF obama gets him to agree to whatever he wants, netanyahu gets booted out of office if he tries to put it into action
sad fact is that the political situation in isreal right now is a total nightmare
too many parties with too much distribution of votes between them means that not even the LARGEST of the parties has 25% of the votes (that party incidently, is NOT netanyahu's likud party)
until the next election sorts this out, i wouldnt expect for much progress
sad but true
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-30, 05:08   Link #2780
Thingle
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Imperial Manila, Philippines
If palestine were to declare statehood right now, it would comprise of 2 states by itself. The 2-state solution is premature and should be pursued only when there emerges a winner between the hamas and the abbas faction.
Thingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.