AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-18, 05:27   Link #28421
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Rinehart Urges Costly Australia to Take Lessons From Singapore

Rakuten Throws a Challenge To Entrepreneurs in Singapore

I think these misunderstandings will kill us all.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 07:05   Link #28422
Der Langrisser
Valkyrie pilot
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Rouen, France
Age: 31
France's Hollande signs gay marriage law

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94G0JH20130518
__________________
Der Langrisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 08:04   Link #28423
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Medical weed could jinx recreational dope market in Washington state
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94F03020130516

Mine union threatens to bring South Africa to 'standstill'
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94G08020130517
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 15:47   Link #28424
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Hulk, Ant-Man & Doctor Strange Focus Of Marvel's Phase Three:

"On the heels of "Iron Man 3" hitting the billion-dollar mark this week, Marvel
Studios is opening up about which superheroes they intend to bring to the big
screen in coming years.

Speaking with Entertainment Weekly, Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige revealed
which characters are favored to land in their multi-film project known as Phase
Three."

See:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/hulk-an...181220775.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:19   Link #28425
KiraYamatoFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Langrisser View Post
France's Hollande signs gay marriage law

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94G0JH20130518
When I think of all the events surrounding this, I was very surprised about how massive the negative reaction about this bill was for a country like France compared to a number of countries that had the same debate.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:26   Link #28426
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
France is a bit of a paradox. It's the most "liberal conservative" republic in the world.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:28   Link #28427
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Langrisser View Post
France's Hollande signs gay marriage law

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94G0JH20130518
....at least they're happy.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:29   Link #28428
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
When I think of all the events surrounding this, I was very surprised about how massive the negative reaction about this bill was for a country like France compared to a number of countries that had the same debate.
A number of French, especially in the south, are Catholics. So, the negative reaction is not surprising at all. And before anyone says it, I'll point out that the reactions do not stem just from "love versus hate" arguments. It's not that simple. We're talking about forcing people to drop a worldview they have held their whole lives.

Ideologies take generations to change. Until then, protests — sometimes violent — are only to be expected.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:34   Link #28429
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Ideologies take generations to change. Until then, protests — sometimes violent — are only to be expected.
Are you saying you are waiting for the old people to die? That's rather... a fatalistic view of things.

And just because it is expected doesn't mean it should be accepted.

If people aren't willing to drop their world view, they are the problem.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:39   Link #28430
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Are you saying you are waiting for the old people to die? That's rather... a fatalistic view of things.

And just because it is expected doesn't mean it should be accepted.

If people aren't willing to drop their world view, they are the problem.
Agreed. I don't have a lot of sympathy for my age peers who can't adapt or respond to new information about reality.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:40   Link #28431
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
A
If people aren't willing to drop their world view, they are the problem.
Why? Just because somebody disagrees with one means they're wrong and one is the ONLY right?

How about we do the opposite... if homosexuals protest against hetero marriages? I say if the homo's are the majority in this scenerio..

Let the protesters do as they like, it's their right.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 00:44   Link #28432
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Are you saying you are waiting for the old people to die? That's rather... a fatalistic view of things.

And just because it is expected doesn't mean it should be accepted.

If people aren't willing to drop their world view, they are the problem.
I mean to say that it's not just a simple matter of "bigotry". It's way more complicated than that. And yes, while you can work hard to persuade the "swing voters", when it comes to the diehards, you do indeed have to literally wait till they die before a new worldview can take over.

And I'm not going to go further than this. All the relevant arguments have been brought up elsewhere in this forum. No need to derail this thread.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 01:46   Link #28433
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Are you saying you are waiting for the old people to die? That's rather... a fatalistic view of things.
Alternately, you can wait for the young to reach voting age. Fortunately, out natality's pretty good. For a rich country. (Though note there were a lot of young in the con-side, too.)

Quote:
And just because it is expected doesn't mean it should be accepted.
Violence is another story, but I like to say that freedom of speech is for people you most wish would shut up, or there's no point. Though I'm not big on the way they present prejudice as fact. I wish maybe there'd be disclaimers or something.

Quote:
If people aren't willing to drop their world view, they are the problem.
Yes, and unless your solution is to murder them, you indeed have to wait until they drop dead.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 01:54   Link #28434
KiraYamatoFan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
A number of French, especially in the south, are Catholics. So, the negative reaction is not surprising at all.
I can only imagine what will happen when that "same-sex marriage wave" will hit Italy more seriously (now that almost all of Western Europe have something about same-sex marriage), when we know that 1) there is a very significant number of Italian homosexuals out there and 2) at least 3 traditionally Catholic countries in Europe already voted the bill.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 02:21   Link #28435
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I can only imagine what will happen when that "same-sex marriage wave" will hit Italy more seriously
I don't think Italy is in the position to be considering such a bill.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 03:43   Link #28436
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
France is a bit of a paradox. It's the most "liberal conservative" republic in the world.
Along with Turkey, they have been foremost examples of proto-futurist countries that have neglected same sex issues on non-religious basis. Ironically, both of them would've overseen more progress over LGBT issues without hardline Jacobinism in force. Ditto for Turkey.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 03:48   Link #28437
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Why? Just because somebody disagrees with one means they're wrong and one is the ONLY right?

How about we do the opposite... if homosexuals protest against hetero marriages? I say if the homo's are the majority in this scenerio..

Let the protesters do as they like, it's their right.
I am not against protests. I am just against violent protests when the "target" isn't some armed and dangerous force.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 05:15   Link #28438
Zakoo
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Gensokyo
There are a lots of young people in those manifestations, and many factors explain it. The recent extremisation of young citizens especially in the far right, the unpopularity of our president/governement, and the fact we simply hate when there's changement.

I will agree with Sumeragi's statement, but France is probably the least liberal of rich country though. It's the state that decides what kind of economic fields are interesting or not, that's probably why we are very late in green energy thanks to/because of state nuclear agency.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 06:20   Link #28439
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The state's what carrying the green energy sector (such as it is) at all. Nobody would buy any of it without the various aids and incentives provided by the government. In fact, once the government pulled back, everyone did stop buying.

You can argue that we need to do more if you want (I think there are other priorities, myself), but if you want more green energy development, you need more state, not less.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 07:13   Link #28440
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Speaking of green energy: Special Report: The Rise and Fall of China's Sun King
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94I00220130519

China gives environmental approval to country's biggest hydro dam
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94G04E20130517
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.