AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-07-24, 01:18   Link #29581
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: (◣_◢)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Lawmakers (again) propose replacing $1 bills with coins:

"Hey America, want to save $13.8 billion over the next 30 years? Get rid of your
dollars.

The greenbacks, that is. Let's use dollar coins instead.

That's the message from a consumer advocacy group and former presidential
candidate, Sen. John McCain, who has re-introduced legislation to phase out dollar bills."

"McCain has been joined in his legislative push for the coins by fellow Republican
senators Tom Coburn, of Oklahoma and Mike Enzi of Wyoming, as well as Democrats
Mark Udall of Colorado and Tom Harkin of Iowa.

But they will have a hard sell. Even though most other countries, such as Canada,
Britain and Japan, have replaced smaller currency denominations with coins, Americans
love their greenbacks and have never warmed to dollar coins."

See:

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/lawm...ins-6C10713866


Here we go again............
This will only lead to more confusion. I'm not even kidding. I remember getting change with those sacagawea dollar coins. Lady thought they where 25 cents... even though they where gold and shiny .
__________________
Drkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 04:07   Link #29582
KiraYamatoFan
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
This will only lead to more confusion. I'm not even kidding. I remember getting change with those sacagawea dollar coins. Lady thought they where 25 cents... even though they where gold and shiny .
Oh, c'mon! How can anybody not distinguish between gold and silver as colors for the coins?

We have had loonies in Canada for a very long time and I don't remember any account saying there was mass confusion because quarters and loonies were around the same size although the color difference is quite explicit.
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 04:31   Link #29583
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Oh, c'mon! How can anybody not distinguish between gold and silver as colors for the coins?
Bad lighting, bad eyesight, or a combination thereof?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 04:51   Link #29584
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Disbelief usually. It is so uncommon that one uses a dollar coin that some don't believe they exist. Others really don't think at the cash register all that much.

Just they using a Two dollar bill at a store. Or an old half dollar or dollar coin from the early 1970 (not one of the silver ones). Some cashiers can't make head or tails of them. Other will later swap out their own money for the old coins or two dollar bills.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 04:56   Link #29585
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Special Report: How U.S. drug sting targeted West African military chiefs

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...96N0AR20130724


Edit: more of a opinion than a new but I think than this belong here:
Bonjour, America!
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/24/op...r-america.html
__________________


Last edited by ganbaru; 2013-07-24 at 06:57.
ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 07:46   Link #29586
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
But they will have a hard sell. Even though most other countries, such as Canada,
Britain and Japan, have replaced smaller currency denominations with coins, Americans
love their greenbacks and have never warmed to dollar coins."
Not sure about Canada and Britain, but Japan's coins weigh almost nothing. You could probably get over $20 in yen (if not much more) before you'd get the weight of one gold dollar. Make it so US coins don't weigh me down and jingle as I walk, and maybe I'd be more apt to use them.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 10:31   Link #29587
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: (◣_◢)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
Oh, c'mon! How can anybody not distinguish between gold and silver as colors for the coins?

We have had loonies in Canada for a very long time and I don't remember any account saying there was mass confusion because quarters and loonies were around the same size although the color difference is quite explicit.
Cause around here you have a lot of different kinds of currency. Its especially bad when they are extremely busy. I've seen people rip off the cashier by paying them in peso or a currency in a different county and they don't even notice.
__________________
Drkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 11:55   Link #29588
LeoXiao
提倡自我工業化
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Vereinigte Staaten
Age: 22
U.S. should press China over Falun Gong
Not that the US will do anything, but still.
LeoXiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 15:04   Link #29589
killer3000ad
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
Net block MP Claire Perry in spat over porn hack
Quote:
Ms Perry has been a vocal supporter of the initiative, but on Tuesday it was reported by Staines's blog that the MP's site had been breached and defaced with pornographic images.

The MP tweeted: "That well known responsible campaigner @guidofawkes has been hosting a link that distributed porn via my website."

The blogger responded to say the site did not link to the images in its story - but instead showed a screen-grab of a non-pornographic segment of the hacked page.

"Confused by technology again @claire4devizes?" Staines said.

"We deliberately didn't link to your filthy website - we just took a SFW [safe for work] screenshot."

Ms Perry then went on to tweet: "Apologies to anyone affected by the hacking of my website sponsored by @GuidoFawkes - proves so clearly what we are dealing with."

And: "Suggest you take the link down immediately Paul and go and get a life."
__________________
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 15:27   Link #29590
Haiprbim
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visual Dream Panire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
-White wannabe hero stalks and ends up shooting a 17 year old black kid who was minding his own business=no arrest or investigation until massive public outcry

-Black criminal engaged in criminal activity murders a 17 year old white kid who was minding his own business=immediate investigation and criminal is arrested and charged. No need for public outcry.

I hope this isn't too complicated. And more to the point, makes it clear how inappropriate a comparison it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Indeed. Yet somehow Haiprbim made the post anyway. I love to hear his explanation.
Sorry for the late response.
All the killers were found and charged in both cases, so I do not know what you mean. There was investigation, just not enough evidence obtained at the time.

As the link one other member gave says, the reason might be that it was clear who the killer is in the black-murder, while not in the white-murder case.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 16:04   Link #29591
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
A federal judge dealt back-to-back wins today for Kevyn Orr’s effort to petition the nation’s largest municipal bankruptcy for Detroit on a day that brought emotionally charged reactions from protesters.
Saying the city would suffer irreparable harm if delays to its bankruptcy were upheld, U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Steven Rhodes denied attempts by lawyers for pension funds, unions and other creditors to halt Detroit’s Chapter 9 filing while the matter is being taken up by state courts in Michigan.
Rhodes said it’s clear that Orr, the state-appointed emergency manager, has the authority under state law to act as the official representative for Detroit in bankruptcy, and that matters of the city’s eligibility to enter bankruptcy should be decided in Rhodes’ courtroom, not in state courts.


http://www.freep.com/article/2013072...ov-Rick-Snyder
with all the vacant and empty buildings in Detroit. Would it possible for Detroit to use Eminent Domain to grab all those empty building then use them to pay off its creditor instead of paying cash?

Also someone had mention in another forum that Detroit should be turn into a Amnesty Zone. Illegal Alien agree to move to Detroit and live there for a certain number of years are granted citizenship. This would help take care of the population loss plaguing Detroit.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 16:18   Link #29592
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Not sure about Canada and Britain, but Japan's coins weigh almost nothing. You could probably get over $20 in yen (if not much more) before you'd get the weight of one gold dollar. Make it so US coins don't weigh me down and jingle as I walk, and maybe I'd be more apt to use them.
The problem with lightweight coins is that they're more likely to get stuck in vending
machines. That's why some people prefer nickels over dimes for use in vending
machines.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 17:11   Link #29593
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
Sorry for the late response.
All the killers were found and charged in both cases, so I do not know what you mean. There was investigation, just not enough evidence obtained at the time.

As the link one other member gave says, the reason might be that it was clear who the killer is in the black-murder, while not in the white-murder case.
You still haven't gave adequate explanations. You propose that we should be outraged at a black man being convicted and charged for murder, for what reason? Why should there BE any outrage what the legal system worked? The outrage came from the belief that there was injustice; the fact that you pull that equivalence out is not going to be justified by saying "they are the same".

If the black man did the stand your ground argument and get let off for murder, THEN you can make them the same. Until then you are deliberately hiding what you are really trying to say.
__________________

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2013-07-24 at 17:34.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 18:19   Link #29594
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
All the killers were found and charged in both cases, so I do not know what you mean. There was investigation, just not enough evidence obtained at the time.
You're being deliberately obstinate.


There wasn't any serious investigation into the shooting until MONTHS later. The police initially took Zimmerman's word at face value, and let him waltz off. It was only when there was a massive public outcry that the police bothered to take the matter seriously. That's the reason why the shooting of Taryvon Martin got more national exposure than that other guy.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 19:57   Link #29595
Tom Bombadil
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
U.S. should press China over Falun Gong
Not that the US will do anything, but still.
yes, let's care more about a cult that preaches supernatural powers and healing, rather than the real problems.
__________________
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 21:58   Link #29596
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
House rejects bid to curb spy agency data collection
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...96N16I20130725
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 22:44   Link #29597
Shyni
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
Harmony Gold Sues Hasbro

Quote:
LOS ANGELES - Hasbro's toy in a box labeled "G.I. Joe and the Transformers ... The Epic Conclusion" violates Harmony Gold-USA's copyright license on the animated Japanese TV series (1982-84) from which the epic conflict originated, Harmony Gold claims in Federal Court.
Context: Among the toys Hasbro imported/licensed to sell as the original Transformers was a Macross Valkyrie, recolored into the character Jetfire. At SDCC 2013, Hasbro recolored/modified a G.I. Joe aircraft toy to look like Jetfire. Harmony Gold, because they're Harmony Gold, are suing, and actually demand that Hasbro recall all the units sold to customers.

ANN has detail too.

This strikes me as... dumb. The toy is colored to look like Jetfire, and Jetfire's color scheme is different from the Valkyries. Plus there's no way Hasbro would be able to force people who already bought the thing to return it.

Should this have been in another thread?

Last edited by Shyni; 2013-07-24 at 22:57.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 00:01   Link #29598
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
yes, let's care more about a cult that preaches supernatural powers and healing, rather than the real problems.
I don't know much about the issue, but if their organs are being harvested without consent and they're being imprisoned just for having some wacky religious beliefs, that's pretty f-ed up man. It would qualify as a real problem in my book (assuming what the article says is true).

I say this with the disclaimer that the US shouldn't be pressing anyone on anything and isn't in a position to do so. That should be the UN's job.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 00:22   Link #29599
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
Harmony Gold Sues Hasbro



Context: Among the toys Hasbro imported/licensed to sell as the original Transformers was a Macross Valkyrie, recolored into the character Jetfire. At SDCC 2013, Hasbro recolored/modified a G.I. Joe aircraft toy to look like Jetfire. Harmony Gold, because they're Harmony Gold, are suing, and actually demand that Hasbro recall all the units sold to customers.

ANN has detail too.

This strikes me as... dumb. The toy is colored to look like Jetfire, and Jetfire's color scheme is different from the Valkyries. Plus there's no way Hasbro would be able to force people who already bought the thing to return it.

Should this have been in another thread?
HG sue the wrong company. Unlike its previous victim Hasbro has enough money to squash HG flat.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-25, 02:14   Link #29600
Haiprbim
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visual Dream Panire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
You still haven't gave adequate explanations. You propose that we should be outraged at a black man being convicted and charged for murder, for what reason? Why should there BE any outrage what the legal system worked? The outrage came from the belief that there was injustice; the fact that you pull that equivalence out is not going to be justified by saying "they are the same".

And just where did I say that you should be outraged?
Please, tell me.

I just asked what you think about it.
You sharply attacked me with your assumptions of what I meant, which I obviously haven't. Don't put words into my mouth.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.