AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-09-01, 23:42   Link #30381
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
McCain is trying to go both ways by saying he would only agree to the war if removing Assad is part of the deal. This is his method of both rejecting war, AND desiring war at the same time. So the war hawks are happy, and he gets to vote no. Politics, huh?
Politics indeed! Obama included.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 01:43   Link #30382
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
Wouldn't the UN have to agree for any action to happen? Which, if what I've heard wouldn't happen since Russia has veto powers or something, and make to much money from Syria.

Unless the US wants to ignore the UN (again?), and probably piss people off in the process.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 01:56   Link #30383
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Now here is an interesting read :

Stock Market Reactions to The US of Airstrikes
Meh, from 9 sample showed 5 show increasing patern, 2 show decreasing patern, 2 sideways/small decrease pattern. Combined that with the small sample size, means nothing can be concluded from the data in regards to correlation between US airstrikes and US stock index. Need more airstrikes to get more data
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 09:22   Link #30384
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
NSA spied on Brazil and Mexico:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23929257
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 13:03   Link #30385
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
McCain is trying to go both ways by saying he would only agree to the war if removing Assad is part of the deal. This is his method of both rejecting war, AND desiring war at the same time. So the war hawks are happy, and he gets to vote no. Politics, huh?
Well, in fairness, if the main reason for taking military action against Syria is because Assad crossed the line and is using chemical weapons, then what's the point of taking military action if Assad ultimately remains in power?

I mean, you either think Assad is guilty of crossing the line or you don't think that. If you don't think that, then any military intervention isn't justified at all. If you do think that Assad has crossed the line, then military intervention is only truly useful if Assad is removed from power.

Now, I definitely see where McCain's position is politically expedient for the reasons you suggested, but it may well also be the right position policy-wise.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 14:46   Link #30386
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Wouldn't the UN have to agree for any action to happen? Which, if what I've heard wouldn't happen since Russia has veto powers or something, and make to much money from Syria.

Unless the US wants to ignore the UN (again?), and probably piss people off in the process.
when have the US every listen to the UN.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 19:03   Link #30387
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Brazil, Mexico ask U.S. to explain if NSA spied on presidents
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9810B620130902
The ''the NSA is just doing it's job'' explication isn't likely to calm them .
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 19:18   Link #30388
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Brazil, Mexico ask U.S. to explain if NSA spied on presidents
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9810B620130902
The ''the NSA is just doing it's job'' explication isn't likely to calm them .
Quote:
Kerry said the NSA surveillance was aimed at protecting Americans and Brazilians from terrorist attacks.
how does spying on the president of Brazil protects US and Brazilian citizens?
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 19:24   Link #30389
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Because he's obviously a terrorist.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 22:05   Link #30390
JokerD
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, in fairness, if the main reason for taking military action against Syria is because Assad crossed the line and is using chemical weapons, then what's the point of taking military action if Assad ultimately remains in power?

I mean, you either think Assad is guilty of crossing the line or you don't think that. If you don't think that, then any military intervention isn't justified at all. If you do think that Assad has crossed the line, then military intervention is only truly useful if Assad is removed from power.

Now, I definitely see where McCain's position is politically expedient for the reasons you suggested, but it may well also be the right position policy-wise.
Someone said "It's not goodies versus baddies - it's baddies versus baddies" The US is in bad position right now, attack and aid their enemy or sit back and lose trust...
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 22:11   Link #30391
speedyexpress48
Boo, you whore
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Smokin that CO bong
Send a message via AIM to speedyexpress48 Send a message via MSN to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Yahoo to speedyexpress48 Send a message via Skype™ to speedyexpress48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Because he's obviously a terrorist.
Anyone who is not the US government is obviously suspicious and needs to be spied on.
__________________

Your Friendly Bitcoin Trader|Go Avs/Broncos
speedyexpress48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-02, 23:25   Link #30392
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Because he's obviously a terrorist.
It's a she actually lolol
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 00:55   Link #30393
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyexpress48 View Post
Anyone who is not the US government is obviously suspicious and needs to be spied on.
I'm pretty sure the US government also spies on itself.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 03:47   Link #30394
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I'm pretty sure the US government also spies on itself.
Never trust anyone completely.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 04:44   Link #30395
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Key West, Florida (Sept 2, Mon): American 64-year-old long-distance swimmer Diana Nyad has become the first person to swim across the Florida Straits from Cuba without a shark cage, succeeding on her fifth attempt at the feat.

Her face sunburned and lips swollen, with barely enough energy to speak, Nyad waded ashore at Key West after a 53-hour swim and delivered a simple message to onlookers: "We should never, ever give up.... You never are too old to chase your dreams."

In an inspiration to Baby Boomers everywhere, Nyad completed the estimated 177km (110 miles) journey after departing from Havana on Saturday morning. She set a record for the longest ocean swim without a shark cage or flippers, according to her crew.

The iron-willed swimmer had been trying to achieve the crossing for 35 years, describing it on her website as her "Xtreme Dream", and seemed determined to prove The Beatles were right that there is plenty to live for "when I'm 64".

She had said that this would be her final attempt. She was equipped this time with a protective silicone mask and a body suit to better protect her from the box jellyfish that forced her to end one of two attempted crossings last year.

A team of ocean kayakers and divers accompanied Nyad on her journey dragging an electronic device in the water that emitted a current to repel sharks.

Her team said her fifth attempt at the Florida crossing benefited from several key factors, including calm seas, the surprising lack of jellyfish and favourable currents in the powerful Gulf Stream that flows eastwards through the Florida Straits.

"You can't do the swim unless you have three things: the determination, the weather and the cooperation of the Gulf Stream," said Ron Bartlett, her navigator.

The multilingual Nyad was born in New York and raised in south Florida by a French mother and Greek-Egyptian stepfather. She swam six hours a day as a 12-year-old.

She retired after successfully completing a swim from Bimini in the Bahamas to Florida in 1979, ending a long-distance career that set several world records, including one for circling Manhattan in less than eight hours in 1975.

She went on to a career in sports journalism and fitness, and has expressed a lifelong fascination with Cuba.

Nyad's fifth attempt to make the crossing comes 35 years after she made her first go at it aged 28 in 1978, when she gave up after covering 122km (76 miles) in 42 hours, with the aid that time of a shark cage.

With Key West in her sights on Monday, Nyad halted briefly about 3km (2 miles) offshore to thank her support team.

"This is a lifelong dream of mine and I'm very, very glad to be with you," she said, according to her website. "So let's get going so we can have a whopping party."

REUTERS
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 05:04   Link #30396
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
That is one bad ass grandma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
how does spying on the president of Brazil protects US and Brazilian citizens?
I have to agree though, the question is rather silly.
You're asking an organization of spies if they spy on foreign powers.

Well.

Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Japanese animator and manga master Hayao Miyazaki retires


Oh wow, I am quite sad about this announcement.
I do have to caution, he said "I'm RETIRING!" like 3-4 times in the past already, pretty much right after finishing a new movie.
(the first time was right after Kiki if I'm not mistaken)
So let's see if he sticks to his words this time.
__________________

Last edited by aohige; 2013-09-03 at 05:27.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 05:08   Link #30397
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Nokia to sell handset business to Microsoft for $7.2 billion
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98202V20130903

Russia says ballistic 'objects' fired in Mediterranean
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9820AC20130903
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 07:30   Link #30398
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Nokia to sell handset business to Microsoft for $7.2 billion
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98202V20130903
Resistance is futile.

The writing has been on the wall ever since ex-Microsoft executive Stephen Elop became CEO of Nokia. Of course, Microsoft might argue they are just responding to Google's decision to buy Motorola's phone division a couple years back.

Nokia had some excellent sortware technologies of its own that they abandoned to jump into Microsoft's arms. Both firms clearly hoped that the market power and recognition of their brands would help them break into the smartphone market. They were wrong.

WindowsPhone sales nearly doubled between Q4 of 2011 and Q4 of 2012, but that just raised their share of worldwide sales from 1.8% to 3.0%. Android powered 70% of smartphones sold in Q4 last year, and iOS 21%. MS and Nokia were just too late to the party, and I don't see much evidence that the situation will change just be Microsoft owns Nokia.

Nokia constitutes a substantial proportion of Finnish GDP. Even if Microsoft manages to keep the firm afloat for a while, Nokia's continued decline bodes ill for Finland's generous social welfare state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Russia says ballistic 'objects' fired in Mediterranean
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9820AC20130903
Apparently it was a joint US-Israeli test of an anti-missile defense system.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 07:48   Link #30399
Skane
Anime Snark
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 31
Wait, Andriod Phones have triple the sales of iOS Phones... but have less apps? What? I thought developers always made for the iOS Phones first because it had a bigger market share... why do they always develop for the Andriod Phones last then?

Huh?
__________________
Skane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-03, 08:01   Link #30400
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post
Wait, Andriod Phones have triple the sales of iOS Phones... but have less apps? What? I thought developers always made for the iOS Phones first because it had a bigger market share... why do they always develop for the Andriod Phones last then?

Huh?
At a guess, because there's fewer different hardware on iOS. Makes testing easier.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.