AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-09-04, 09:49   Link #30441
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
In an interview I heard on the BBC last night, Castro was in a temporary holding area where people are processed before being sent on to their ultimate prison destinations. He was being kept in isolation because of the possibility that he would be attacked by other inmates. It sounds like there was insufficient surveillance by the Ohio prison wardens, unless they killed him themselves.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 09:49   Link #30442
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
If their crimes are so bad that they get such a harsh sentence, why should they be given a choice as to whether to serve it or not?
It depends on what you want out of justice.

If you're looking for an especially bureaucratic form of vengeance, then nothing's off the table and you'll no doubt find yourself condoning all kind of exotic tortures as punishment. We all do love ourselves good revenge stories, and there really are monsters out there, deserving of the worst we can dish out.

If you're pragmatic and just want some people to never again mingle with the rest of society... well, then, what's your objection to putting them down like you would a maddened animal? Permanently, to be sure, but without needless cruelty. Aside from the fear of judicial mistakes, of course.

Quote:
Also, it costs more to execute someone than it does to keep them in prison for life.
Because of all the automatic appeals. Which begs its own lot of questions.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 09:51   Link #30443
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
If their crimes are so bad that they get such a harsh sentence, why should they be given a choice as to whether to serve it or not?
Well, it's not like a death sentence is a desirable sentence itself.


Quote:
Also, it costs more to execute someone than it does to keep them in prison for life.
That's strictly because of the cost of the extensive appeal process when someone is given a capital punishment sentence. But if a convict was given the option of capital punishment, and the convict took it, then there would be nothing to appeal.

A lone execution (without the lengthy appeal process) vs. 20 years of feeding someone. It's rather obvious which of these is more costly.

I've heard of enough cases of prison suicides (or people committing suicide just before they'd have to go to prison) that it's clear that some people really would rather die than spend decades in jail. Well, if they die, any threat they pose has been eliminated, and the state doesn't have to spend tax dollars feeding them.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 10:32   Link #30444
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
In an interview I heard on the BBC last night, Castro was in a temporary holding area where people are processed before being sent on to their ultimate prison destinations. He was being kept in isolation because of the possibility that he would be attacked by other inmates. It sounds like there was insufficient surveillance by the Ohio prison wardens, unless they killed him themselves.
Strictly speaking on terms of "vengeance" seeking emotions, I'd rather he lived at least... oh I dunno, ELEVEN YEARS, and suffered all through out those years under abusive hands.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 10:33   Link #30445
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Is Malaysia university entry a level playing field?
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 11:20   Link #30446
Haak
F**k my life...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, it's not like a death sentence is a desirable sentence itself.




That's strictly because of the cost of the extensive appeal process when someone is given a capital punishment sentence. But if a convict was given the option of capital punishment, and the convict took it, then there would be nothing to appeal.

A lone execution (without the lengthy appeal process) vs. 20 years of feeding someone. It's rather obvious which of these is more costly.

I've heard of enough cases of prison suicides (or people committing suicide just before they'd have to go to prison) that it's clear that some people really would rather die than spend decades in jail. Well, if they die, any threat they pose has been eliminated, and the state doesn't have to spend tax dollars feeding them.
I'm not against the idea but I wonder if the reason they don't consider this is because it could have implications in the "right to die" cases such as euthanasia.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 11:28   Link #30447
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm not against the idea but I wonder if the reason they don't consider this is because it could have implications in the "right to die" cases such as euthanasia.
Yeah, that's probably a factor. Hard to justify letting someone like Ariel Castro have this legal option when an elderly person in pain with a clean record isn't also given that same legal option.

While I like my idea, I doubt it'll ever come to pass. America is too against euthanasia, and most of the rest of the world (including my own country) is too against the death penalty.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 11:32   Link #30448
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I'm not against the idea but I wonder if the reason they don't consider this is because it could have implications in the "right to die" cases such as euthanasia.
That might be a possibility. If such a thing was given to prisoners, Right to die advocates might call out on the double standard that why is it that prisoners can choose to die while law abiding citizens cannot.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 16:12   Link #30449
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Manning seeks presidential pardon in WikiLeaks case
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9830XS20130904

Exclusive: Brazil's Rousseff wants U.S. apology for NSA spying
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98314N20130904
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 16:25   Link #30450
maplehurry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Well, if they die, any threat they pose has been eliminated, and the state doesn't have to spend tax dollars feeding them.
The state can always just enslave them, until people crying about them stealing jobs
maplehurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 17:37   Link #30451
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
While I like my idea, I doubt it'll ever come to pass. America is too against euthanasia, and most of the rest of the world (including my own country) is too against the death penalty.
More importantly, your idea has too many legal problems to even be considered.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-04, 18:13   Link #30452
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
More importantly, your idea has too many legal problems to even be considered.
Could you elaborate please?
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 02:55   Link #30453
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
http://www.zdnet.com/au/australian-o...lt-7000020270/

My fellow Australians!
I come bearing frightening news. The Opposition Leader has hide the desire to implement an internet filter with barely more than 24 hours left before the polls! He hid them in his budget costings, at page 7... Don't let him get away with it! I opposed Labor's internet filter, and we won on that front. But not it is time to fight the other side! Please, decide carefully before you vote this weekend; do you want your internet censored?
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 03:25   Link #30454
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Exclusive: Technical snafus confuse charges for Obamacare plans
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...98405E20130905
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 03:31   Link #30455
Soliloquy
Secret Schemer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Trendy Backwater
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
http://www.zdnet.com/au/australian-o...lt-7000020270/

My fellow Australians!
I come bearing frightening news. The Opposition Leader has hide the desire to implement an internet filter with barely more than 24 hours left before the polls! He hid them in his budget costings, at page 7... Don't let him get away with it! I opposed Labor's internet filter, and we won on that front. But not it is time to fight the other side! Please, decide carefully before you vote this weekend; do you want your internet censored?
Wow the guy's still at it? Guy's Tony Abbott right? Any normal sensible people won't go for Coalition. I don't know about those affiliated with religions. They probably are the ones to worry about.
__________________
Enthusiastic Slice of Life Guy
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 03:37   Link #30456
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Wow the guy's still at it? Guy's Tony Abbott right? Any normal sensible people won't go for Coalition. I don't know about those affiliated with religions. They probably are the ones to worry about.
See, the filter was the current gvernment's idea to court religious votes. Australian backlash forced it to die. But now Opposition leader Abbott sneaked the policy in under the radar two days before the polls open and didn't announce it to anyone. He KNOWS we don't want it. That is why he decided to hide the policy to the last possible second. What kind of leader is that? I can't EVER trust a person like that to not do horrible things when no one is looking!

Labor wanted to court religious voters; but Abbott IS religious. He does this because he wants to do this for his god. He was considering being a priest before choosing politics. The guy needs to GO DOWN. I don't care how far ahead he is in the polls. Fight against the Coalition.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 03:42   Link #30457
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
AMG!

Well, supposedly it's "Optional" filtering, but even so I don't want my internets filtered! What would I do when I want to look up midget donkey riding pr0nz. Oh the horror!

Vaguely serious, once they get an optional filter in it's all down hill till they make it mandatory. (Never mind what the coalition wants to do to the NBN!)

Slightly even more serious, Coalition will probably win Labour has sadly pissfarted around the last few years reenacting Macbeth and stabbing each other in the back. Friend was saying we'll probably have a double dissolution election again right after this election.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 03:52   Link #30458
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
AMG!

Well, supposedly it's "Optional" filtering, but even so I don't want my internets filtered! What would I do when I want to look up midget donkey riding pr0nz. Oh the horror!

Vaguely serious, once they get an optional filter in it's all down hill till they make it mandatory. (Never mind what the coalition wants to do to the NBN!)

Slightly even more serious, Coalition will probably win Labour has sadly pissfarted around the last few years reenacting Macbeth and stabbing each other in the back. Friend was saying we'll probably have a double dissolution election again right after this election.
I am mad 50/50. 50% because of the filter, and 50% because Abbott tried to hide it so close to the election. This tells me that this is how he plans to rule; to say one thing and do another. He isn't the PM yet, and he is already deceiving people!
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 04:30   Link #30459
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Age: 31
Both parties suck tbh. Ones lead by a religious nutjob, and the other is too busy rehearsing shakespeare.
__________________
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-05, 04:32   Link #30460
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hat and Clogs View Post
Both parties suck tbh. Ones lead by a religious nutjob, and the other is too busy rehearsing shakespeare.
I find Shakespeare works just fine. But don't even compare that to an internet filter.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:07.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.