AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-11-29, 22:10   Link #32001
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
But what I would LIKE to see is an Su-30 shoot down a F-35. That aircraft needs to return to the drawing board, seriously.
I read about all the problems of the version for the US Marine Corp but, what's the status of the 2 others ?
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-29, 22:43   Link #32002
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
http://www.defenseone.com/management...itial-continue

http://gizmodo.com/inside-the-pentag...men-1325863089

My favorite quote:

The political process that keeps the Joint Strike Fighter airborne has never stalled. The program was designed to spread money so far and so wide—at last count, among some 1,400 separate subcontractors, strategically dispersed among key congressional districts—that no matter how many cost overruns, blown deadlines, or serious design flaws, it would be immune to termination. It was, as bureaucrats say, “politically engineered.”

Now the trick here is, I am sure China is frightened by the power of the new F-35, but by the time you get these guys in to mass numbers, you are looking at a bill for about a trillion dollars. On a plane that started in 2001....and would likely to pose a threat to China/Russia/AL Qudea by 2016-2019 (depend on how pessimistic you are)

And main while, drone technology is getting better and better for a fraction of the cost.
__________________
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-29, 22:43   Link #32003
JokerD
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
I read about all the problems of the version for the US Marine Corp but, what's the status of the 2 others ?
Not sure on the technical aspect (last I read about it was half a year ago and it still had lots of problems, (overweight, software not ready..etc) but S Korea is expected by purchase some F-35s
This makes me suspect the US is pushing it's allies very hard to buy this even before it rolls into operational service with big brother. Seriously, does NK have modern fighter jets to contest the skies?
Case in point, for Singapore (my country) the next gen strike aircraft (awarded to the F-15SG) trials took place for years, rejecting the Eurofighter Typhoon for not having ground attack capabilities yet, before the award. And there was rumors that we were going to get the F-35 even before it was operational or even tested. This stinks of lobbying, thanks goodness we did not get it... (yet? or did not announce it )
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-29, 22:54   Link #32004
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Not sure on the technical aspect (last I read about it was half a year ago and it still had lots of problems, (overweight, software not ready..etc) but S Korea is expected by purchase some F-35s
This makes me suspect the US is pushing it's allies very hard to buy this even before it rolls into operational service with big brother. Seriously, does NK have modern fighter jets to contest the skies?
Case in point, for Singapore (my country) the next gen strike aircraft (awarded to the F-15SG) trials took place for years, rejecting the Eurofighter Typhoon for not having ground attack capabilities yet, before the award. And there was rumors that we were going to get the F-35 even before it was operational or even tested. This stinks of lobbying, thanks goodness we did not get it... (yet? or did not announce it )
Every plane America sell to foreign government = a reduction of sunk cost (R&D, plant, training for employees). I believe America will save about 2 billion in such sunk cost for the 40 planes SK will buy.
__________________
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 02:11   Link #32005
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
The F-35A seemed to be doing fine last I heard.

The F-35C needed a redesign on the arresting hook for carrier operations for some reason.

The F-35B is having issues, but then it is the most complex of the three.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 04:21   Link #32006
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
The political process that keeps the Joint Strike Fighter airborne has never stalled. The program was designed to spread money so far and so wide—at last count, among some 1,400 separate subcontractors, strategically dispersed among key congressional districts—that no matter how many cost overruns, blown deadlines, or serious design flaws, it would be immune to termination. It was, as bureaucrats say, “politically engineered.”
So, just like the Space Shuttle then?The crazy craft that had parts made in all 50 States?

That settles it really, F-35 would be about as effective as the Space Shuttle; it would work, just no where as well as it was suppose to.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 10:26   Link #32007
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The F-35A seemed to be doing fine last I heard.

The F-35C needed a redesign on the arresting hook for carrier operations for some reason.

The F-35B is having issues, but then it is the most complex of the three.
Quote:
the F-35s that the Marines say they can take into combat in 2015 are not only ill equipped for combat but will likely require airborne protection by the very planes the F-35 is supposed to replace.
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2...ckheed-martin#

Try reading this piece. It is eye opening...

Lets just hope this piece of technology isn't outsourced to China for manufacturing.

http://rt.com/news/us-air-force-coun...ectronics-879/

Oh wait, it is

Among others, the use of counterfeit electronic parts has been proven on the Alenia C-27J Spartan medium-sized military transport aircraft, Boeing's P-8A Poseidon long-range surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft, Lockheed Martin’s turboprop military transport aircraft C-130J Super Hercules and Sikorsky’s SH-60B Seahawk helicopter used by the US Navy.

About 70 per cent of the fake electronic microchips were traced as being produced in China; the rest came from Canada and Great Britain.


Edit: I love how they call it "counterfeit chips" as if China have ninjas sneaking into warehouses replacing legit chip packages with fake ones. Memo to you guys: If you have 1400 suppliers for ONE PLANE, then somebody, somewhere is going to be buying from Shenyang inc. Tighten your damn supply procurement chain; you are already sucking on taxpayer tit. No need to cut corners.
__________________

Last edited by ArchmageXin; 2013-11-30 at 10:39.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 10:46   Link #32008
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
The only doubt I have about that reports are NVGs. I thought it is the architecture, not the chips, that count.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 15:13   Link #32009
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
The Marines are using F-35Bs for the most part. They have ordered a smaller number of F-35Cs for inter-service use on Navy carriers. But the majority of their F-35s will be the B model designed for use on assault ships like the new USS America.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 20:25   Link #32010
JokerD
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Looks like things are heating up in Thailand
Thailand protests: One killed by gunfire at clashes
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 20:36   Link #32011
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Looks like things are heating up in Thailand
Thailand protests: One killed by gunfire at clashes
I distinctively remember that Thailand has rather lax gun laws. As a tourist I fired a gun for the only time in my life when I went there as a little kid with my parents.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 21:29   Link #32012
JokerD
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I distinctively remember that Thailand has rather lax gun laws. As a tourist I fired a gun for the only time in my life when I went there as a little kid with my parents.
Or maybe it's lax enforcement. I wouldn't be surprised if symeratic people in the military lent some guns to the protestors...
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 23:09   Link #32013
killer3000ad
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
Fast and Furious actor, Paul Walker, killed in car crash.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25173331
__________________
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 23:10   Link #32014
KiraYamatoFan
No end to my talents
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
http://globalnews.ca/news/1001023/ac...n-fiery-crash/

Talk about total irony. It's such a sad day for people who became fans of "The Fast and the Furious" series.

edit: killer3000ad beat me to it.
__________________
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-30, 23:12   Link #32015
killer3000ad
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
You literally hit the button a minute or less after me!
__________________
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 00:12   Link #32016
Megacrash Gr
Van!shment Th!s World!!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: ニューヨーク
Age: 20
Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
Man....I really liked him and I really loved the series. Such tragedy for someone who's young, just doing a charity event and doing what he loved.
__________________
Sig by Mouretsu.
Megacrash Gr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 00:35   Link #32017
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
What a sad and ironic way to die. Looks like the Fast and Furious sequel and reboot Hitman film are on hold or possibly canceled.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 02:08   Link #32018
mangatron
Esdese's in love with me!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
DAMN! Definitely did not see that coming, RIP Paul Walker, the Fast and Furious movies were a ton of fun, and I don't care how many people said he sucks, he sure had heart in his roles and that was what it's about.
__________________

How did that uniform hide those?!
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, leg starting bleeding again so no rehab until I figure out how to stop the bleeding...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 05:15   Link #32019
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
Fast and Furious actor, Paul Walker, killed in car crash.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25173331
Carbon fibre car bodies are quite a death trap when burning. I hope thats not the end of the fast & furious movie series. And RIP Paul Walker.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-01, 05:46   Link #32020
Zero-2
Submit or Die
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Earth. I'm about to start the apocalypse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
What a sad and ironic way to die. Looks like the Fast and Furious sequel and reboot Hitman film are on hold or possibly canceled.
They may postpone it by a few months, yes but unlikely to be cancelled. This news is definitely a shock but they can't just abandon the movie franchise because of this.

But I'm definitely sure they'll dedicate Fast 7 to Walker.

RIP. The Fast & Furious will never be the same w/o you.
__________________
#NeverSurrender
Zero-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.