AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-01-04, 23:18   Link #32461
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
mass execution coming up.
Why only now? Turf wars much?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-04, 23:44   Link #32462
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
mass execution coming up.
They deserved that. They don't pay taxes!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-05, 02:04   Link #32463
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Why only now? Turf wars much?
They acted without central approval. The issue isn't corruption or the breaking of laws, the issue is they didn't respect central authority. The Communist Party can't stand for that, that is effectively High Treason. And this means only public executions were good enough as punishments.
Old 2014-01-06, 16:34   Link #32464
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Some thoughts on the Yasukuni visit by a Korean scholar at the Fletcher School of Diplomacy, part of Tufts University.

Quote:
Mr. Abe may have intended, as he said, simply to pray for the souls of his nation’s war dead. But in the eyes of the world, his pilgrimage to the Yasukuni Shrine appeared a willful evocation of Japan’s pre-1945 imperialism and repudiation of its post-1945 legacy of peace. This was a move that may ultimately serve the interests of China and North Korea, rather than Japan. Given the perception of an unabashedly aggressive Japan that he has created, Mr. Abe will find an already challenging foreign policy environment considerably more daunting as he faces an expansionist China, belligerent North Korea, indignant South Korea and exasperated America.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/07/op...ilgrimage.html

He sounds a bit alarmist to me, but that may just be an uninformed opinion on my part.
Old 2014-01-06, 19:57   Link #32465
KiraYamatoFan
No end to my talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
He sounds a bit alarmist to me, but that may just be an uninformed opinion on my part.
I think he's alarmist indeed. How can anybody believe a country would start fostering an aggressive mindset of old again when there was a major historical cut that changed mentalities for the vast majority in the last 68 years (we talk of more than 2 generations here), that's beyond me.

For me, the reactions from Japan's neighbors are reminiscent of the antagonism between Britain and (especially) Ireland before the 1998 Good Friday Agreement. It's out of place IMHO considering how Japan has no foot outside of the borders unlike Britain with still a foot in Northern Ireland.
Old 2014-01-06, 20:27   Link #32466
Ithekro
Warning

People forget in time. Not the hatreds, but the suffering and turmoil of war. Europe had mostly forgotten what war was about in 1914. It was a "bully" thing for honor and glory to one's family name. They learned all over again and then some over the two World Wars.
Old 2014-01-06, 20:38   Link #32467
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Yellen gets final stamp of approval to head U.S. Fed
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0506C20140106

Liz Cheney drops Senate campaign, cites health issues
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0506K20140106

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-06, 21:50   Link #32468
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

The guys on the Dating thread probably should read this:
20 online dating cliches - and what they really mean
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 00:05   Link #32469
Wigwams

japan is too small a country. a couple of nukes and the entire country will be radiated. japan knows that it cant go to war with a nuclear armed china. china knows that too but prefers to beat the drums of war.
Old 2014-01-07, 09:18   Link #32470
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Chinese recycling tycoon says he wants to buy the New York Times

Quote:
Dec 31 (Reuters) - An eccentric Chinese recycling magnate said on Tuesday he was preparing to open negotiations to buy the New York Times Co..

Chen Guangbiao, a well-known philanthropist, is something of a celebrity in China. During a particularly murky bout of pollution in January, the ebullient and tireless self-promoter handed out free cans of "fresh air".

But Chen says he is perfectly serious in his bid to buy the Times, which he said he had been contemplating for more than two years. He said he expected to discuss the matter on Jan. 5, when he is due to meet a "leading shareholder" in New York.

"There's nothing that can't be bought for the right price," Chen told Reuters.

It is unlikely that the Times, which has long been controlled by the Ochs-Sulzberger family, would sell to Chen.

A spokeswoman for the New York Times, contacted after initial Chinese media reports about Chen's offer, said the company did not comment on rumours.

The company's chairman, Arthur Sulzberger, Jr., said recently that the Times was not for sale.

Chen believes the Times is worth $1 billion, but said he would be willing to negotiate.

He said that because his funds were limited, he had persuaded a Hong Kong tycoon to put in $600 million while he would pay the rest. He said the tycoon was not ready to reveal his identity.

"If we act in sincerity and good faith, I believe the Times chairman will change his way of thinking," he said.

IDEALS

Chen said if he was unable to buy the New York Times, he would settle for becoming a controlling stakeholder, and failing that, would simply buy a stake.

Hurun's Rich List of China's super-wealthy put the magnate's wealth at about $740 million in 2012. Chen said he would not hesitate to sell off most of his assets if it enabled him to buy the Times.

Chen said his aim was not to push any political agenda, but rather his personal ideals of "peace on earth, protecting the environment and philanthropy".

He attracted attention in August 2012 when he bought a half-page advertisement in the New York Times stating that an island chain at the centre of a dispute with Japan had belonged to China since antiquity.

"After that, I realised that the Times' influence all over the world is incredibly vast," he said. "Every government and embassy, all around the world, pays attention to the New York Times."

The Times earned the ire of the Chinese government in 2012 with a report about the wealth of former Premier Wen Jiabao. The Times website has been blocked since then.

Chen said it was natural for the government to block the site because the report on Wen "contained biased and negative things that were not verified".

"If I acquire the Times, the paper will only report the truth and must verify all information," he said, adding that he would like every Chinese household to subscribe to the paper.

If his offer failed, Chen said he would extend offers to CNN, the Washington Post or the Wall Street Journal.

"As long as they have some influence, I'm still willing to consider buying lesser media outlets," he said.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 17:58   Link #32471
KiraYamatoFan
No end to my talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigwams View Post
japan is too small a country. a couple of nukes and the entire country will be radiated. japan knows that it cant go to war with a nuclear armed china. china knows that too but prefers to beat the drums of war.
Are you a Chicom? Leave the nuke talk out now.
Old 2014-01-07, 18:18   Link #32472
Zakoo

Politicians aren't stupid, well at least those of democratics country, they don't especially want their country to be considered as the one who first used radioactive weapons in this world and blamed for all the consequences for centuries. History is probably the greastest ennemy of politicians.
Zakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-07, 18:23   Link #32473
Ithekro
Warning

Consider that the first country to use radioactive weapons in combat has not done so since 1945.
Old 2014-01-08, 07:55   Link #32474
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

No one sane would use a nuclear weapon these days, the sheer level of shit that would come down on your head for doing so would be epic beyond measure. The idiot that does use one would probably find themselves dog piled and out of power so fast it would make their head spin, and their country sanctioned into the dark ages. Although if a terrorist did it, well... hello War on Terror MK2, and no one wants that again (or the first option if it's a country).
Old 2014-01-08, 09:20   Link #32475
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数

Out of power is the least of your worries. Keeping your life should be your first priority when you order a nuclear launch
Old 2014-01-08, 11:35   Link #32476
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

India tells U.S. to close embassy club; anger exposes flaws in ties
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A0709U20140108

Analysis: America to Europe: Stronger banking union would help boost growth
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A070HJ20140108

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 11:51   Link #32477
JokerD

Police purge in Turkey spreads to regions
Reminds me of Stalin's purges of the Red Army before WW2, this could come and bite the government in the ass later.
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-08, 12:52   Link #32478
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
I think he's alarmist indeed. How can anybody believe a country would start fostering an aggressive mindset of old again when there was a major historical cut that changed mentalities for the vast majority in the last 68 years (we talk of more than 2 generations here), that's beyond me.
When the people and the faction in power haven't changed in that same period of time, there are reasons to believe.

Quote:
For me, the reactions from Japan's neighbors are reminiscent of the antagonism between Britain and (especially) Ireland before the 1998 Good Friday Agreement. It's out of place IMHO considering how Japan has no foot outside of the borders unlike Britain with still a foot in Northern Ireland.
Really? Japan has territorial dispute with all of its neighbors.
Old 2014-01-08, 14:51   Link #32479
KiraYamatoFan
No end to my talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
When the people and the faction in power haven't changed in that same period of time, there are reasons to believe.

Really? Japan has territorial dispute with all of its neighbors.
Blame the other parties for being absolutely crap then. It's like us in Canada voting Liberal for 69 years out of 100 in the 20th Century, sometimes with very long spells of Liberal dominance under a few men. The Tories are crap even though they are in power for the moment. Still nothing that warrants a return to militarism and colonization in Japan's case.

I've seen the Irish people have more of a case during the Troubles considering how the strong reaction from London with a large deployment of troops could have been interpreted as a prelude to invasion. Boots on the ground in one case, none in the other; that's the difference. Even then, nothing happened.
Old 2014-01-08, 15:22   Link #32480
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
In issues like this, belief is useless without evidence. Japan is not militarizing, and even if certain elements in Japan want to, most of its people have no interest going to war. They don't really need to arm up, either. If Japan is attacked the US will immediately go to war.

That's why there's all this saber rattling. The point is to stir up nationalism and other "passionate" emotions in the name of politics while not being serious enough to actually start a conflict. Japan is an easy target because of cultural and economic reasons.

Why do it? For the same reason the US bashes China, Russia bashes the US, etc. It's always easier to play the innocent victim in politics.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news