AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-10-09, 13:25   Link #4241
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Well no they don't give the prize to him just because they haven't anything better. It seems, from what I read, that it's for consolidate his political position which is something news for an american president. It's also for saying "Barack we're behind you so don't change your political vision because it's what we need".
__________________
Kusa-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 13:28   Link #4242
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Sounds like they aer all seeing him as the catalyst to their problems. He does things differently from Bush, doesn't mean he will succeed. The prize will just pressure him more and give him more stress.

P.S I am a martian ambassador and I have come in peace. I will give you the technology for the satellite solar cannon and race supervirus if you start WWIII. With these, you can dominate the world with our help and we will give you a share.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 13:38   Link #4243
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
Not really a minority when it's thanks to that "minority" that he became president. The fact that he was elected is proof enough that the black community in the USA has quite enough power to turn the tables for anyone in the presidential election. If their collective voice can be heard to that extent, I wouldn't consider it a minority.
Only about 1 out of 7 people in the US categorize themselves as "black". The voting pools suggest that Obama was elected by a huge number of people who are not "black". Not really an issue in that respect. It was more the case that enough people had had it with the "neocon" movement.

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-10-09 at 13:39. Reason: irrelevance deletion
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 13:45   Link #4244
Quzor
It's the year 3030...
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Spaceport Colony Sicilia
Age: 29
French President Violates Own Copyright Law
Quote:
Hadopi is also known as the “three strikes” law because it after a certain number of warnings a copyright infringer’s Internet access would be cut off. Hadopi has just been adopted. Nicolas – one more of those antics and your Internet access is toast!
Tiny 'Nuclear Batteries' Unveiled
Quote:
Nuclear batteries have been in use for military and aerospace applications, but are typically far larger.

The University of Missouri team says that the batteries hold a million times as much charge as standard batteries.

They have developed it in an attempt to scale down power sources for the tiny devices that fall under the category of micro- and nano-electromechanical systems (Mems and Nems).
More Water Out There; Ice Found on Asteroid
Quote:
For the first time, astronomers have confirmed that an asteroid contains frozen water on its surface. Analysis of asteroid 24 Themis shows evidence of water ice along with organic compounds widespread across the surface. The scientists say these new findings support the theory that asteroids brought both water and organic compounds to the early Earth, helping lay the foundation for life on the planet.
Toyota Hybrids Face Potential U.S. Import Ban on Patent Probe
Quote:
The U.S. International Trade Commission will start a probe into a claim by closely held Paice LLC that some Toyota vehicles infringe a patent for a way of supplying torque, or force, to a car’s wheels from both an electric motor and internal combustion engine, the agency said yesterday.
Quote:
The earlier Paice verdict related to the Prius, hybrid Highlander and Lexus RX400h sport-utility vehicles. The new ITC complaint claims the hybrid Camry, third-generation Prius, Lexus HS250h sedan and Lexus RX450h SUV infringe the same patent.
A link to the patent can be found here.
__________________
http://www.tg-media.net/the_chaos/QuzorSig488.jpg

Last edited by Quzor; 2009-10-09 at 14:12.
Quzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 13:51   Link #4245
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
Well no they don't give the prize to him just because they haven't anything better. It seems, from what I read, that it's for consolidate his political position which is something news for an american president. It's also for saying "Barack we're behind you so don't change your political vision because it's what we need".
I still don't understand. You don't give prizes to people who did nothing. It's like as if a person will give you a diploma while you still haven't passed the exams, just because you have the supposed skills to pass it. But it ignores the fact that you could fail.

It lost all credibility if you ask me.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 14:05   Link #4246
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frth (GER)
Age: 33
The electorate of the Nobel comitee is sort of a intelectual one. Afaik that makes it also a very idealistic one.
Besides, Obama at least tries to be a president of the people and not of some lobbyist elite. I think these days this is already more than we can hope for (regarding politicians).
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 14:10   Link #4247
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
but still...
what did he actually DO ?
he TALKED about doing this and that
but he hardly did anything to actually justify a freaking noble peace prize
its honestly smells like a pressuring point rather then a prize
its like they gave it to him saying "well... now you better live up to it" more then anything else
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 14:11   Link #4248
Narona
Emotionless White Face
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
The electorate of the Nobel comitee is sort of a intelectual one. Afaik that makes it also a very idealistic one.
Besides, Obama at least tries to be a president of the people and not of some lobbyist elite. I think these days this is already more than we can hope for (regarding politicians).
That's still weird. If they wanted to consolidate his political position, do they also realize that they put a gigantic pressure on him? They consider that he will achieve something great for sure. He doesn't have the right to fail anymore. That could work against him, more than hellping him.

What will happen if he fails? This nobel prize will have little to no meaning.
Narona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 14:14   Link #4249
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: τη λαnδ of веагз αnδ дг
If Obama fails to achieve his goals or makes it worse because of the circumstances, that will be a big slap in the face for the committee members. They always had their political views affect their judgments, especially in more subjective areas, but this may be the first, they give an award to someone who has yet to do anything other than promises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Only about 1 out of 7 people in the US categorize themselves as "black". The voting pools suggest that Obama was elected by a huge number of people who are not "black". Not really an issue in that respect. It was more the case that enough people had had it with the "neocon" movement.
I think if you go back to the beginning of this voting phase, you will see a huge effect on that, when he was running against Clinton. I don't think we should ignore that part and concentrate mostly on what or how he did against a self-destructing party.
__________________
Fipskuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 15:03   Link #4250
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
The electorate of the Nobel comitee is sort of a intelectual one. Afaik that makes it also a very idealistic one.
Besides, Obama at least tries to be a president of the people and not of some lobbyist elite. I think these days this is already more than we can hope for (regarding politicians).
the voters for the peace prize are completely seperate for the other voters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Hence why he'd definately deserve it if he were to somehow succeed there.
IF he succeed but he hasn't.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 15:08   Link #4251
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
President Obama,
Spoiler for ...:
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 17:01   Link #4252
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Age: 24
I guess giving Obama a peace prize was the popular thing to do. Symbolic of not much, other than ineptitude and the lack of substance in the institution. Show me some real accomplishments first, award prizes later.
__________________
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 17:17   Link #4253
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
its honestly smells like a pressuring point rather then a prize
I wish. It comes with no strings attached. He practically got it for breathing. If it did put pressure on him, it'd at least have some purpose. As it is, they just devalued the prize. And possibly whatever accomplishment he may have in the future. For no reason whatsoever - though I guess it's funny to see various politicians trying to come up with reasons it's a good thing he got it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 17:21   Link #4254
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: τη λαnδ of веагз αnδ дг
Good thing that Obama didn't make other promises, inventions, research, books, etc. Otherwise, he would have monopolized all the award categories, being the first person and only one ever to win all the Nobel prizes in the same year...
__________________
Fipskuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 17:37   Link #4255
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Frth (GER)
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
That's still weird. If they wanted to consolidate his political position, do they also realize that they put a gigantic pressure on him? They consider that he will achieve something great for sure. He doesn't have the right to fail anymore. That could work against him, more than hellping him.

What will happen if he fails? This nobel prize will have little to no meaning.
You mean this prize will actually add considerable pressure to the themes Iran, Afghanistan, worrysome economy, healthcare.... etc?
I think this prize is highly symbolic and not a divine burden. There are real problems and this prize is really not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the voters for the peace prize are completely seperate for the other voters.
You are right. Wikipedia says: "The Norwegian Parliament appoints the Norwegian Nobel Committee, which selects the Laureate for the Peace Prize."
I think I read it consists of 5 norwegian (ex)politicians at the moment.
Okay ... I know... politicians... but they could be intelligent and idealistic nevertheless.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 18:43   Link #4256
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
I think if you go back to the beginning of this voting phase, you will see a huge effect on that, when he was running against Clinton. I don't think we should ignore that part and concentrate mostly on what or how he did against a self-destructing party.
It cuts both ways, though. This report from political scientists at Princeton argues that Clinton received support from whites with strong anti-black feelings.

Quote:
Increasing levels of antipathy toward blacks are strongly related to vote choice even within the Democratic primary. This result is robust to demographic controls such as gender, age, income, race, ideology, and party ID.

In the primary election, this means that people with higher levels of antipathy toward blacks were more likely to vote for Hillary Clinton. These are the now infamous group of white, lower income voters living in the Mid-western regions of the country that we heard so much about during the primaries. Another interesting finding to emerge from this relationship is that white voters with very low levels of racial antipathy are voting for Obama in very strong numbers. This relationship among racially tolerant people is much stronger for Obama than it has been in the past for other African American candidates such as Jesse Jackson.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 20:01   Link #4257
Fipskuul
τηε πιγητ ωατςη
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: τη λαnδ of веагз αnδ дг
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
It cuts both ways, though. This report from political scientists at Princeton argues that Clinton received support from whites with strong anti-black feelings.
Even at the time, there were discussions on that issue, when analysts were going over each result in detail to search for the reasons as to why it turned out that way, etc.

But, with Clinton, it was hard to make a classification so as to determine the weight of each choice, because of the strong emotions running at the time, e.g., personal dislike towards her, personal dislike towards her husband, respect for her husband, her being white, her being a female, etc. She was a candidate of emotions on the extreme sides.

With Obama, it was easier to make the classification, because there wasn't that kind of relationship with him and his voters, especially among the white population. However, among the African-Americans, he was almost a unifying choice. And, I thought at the time, that played a bigger role compared to what went on with Clinton and her voters.
__________________
Fipskuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 20:57   Link #4258
shelter
Every word must conjure
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: City of No Yesterdays
Send a message via MSN to shelter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I think this prize is highly symbolic and not a divine burden. There are real problems and this prize is really not one of them.
I think Nobel prizes offer quite a lot of legitimacy. But unlike the sciences & literature, legitimacy in politics is taking sides. President Obama seems to be the best (and most deserving) candidate simply because his power makes him almost neutral (it's difficult to tackle any American president politically anyway). It's a smart tactic: award someone a prize, which really means little or nothing to him, and which do little or nothing to change the direction of his policies.

I find it ironic that it is a Nobel Peace Prize - awarded to the leader of a country still at war.
__________________
shelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 21:37   Link #4259
Cipher
.....
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelter View Post
I think Nobel prizes offer quite a lot of legitimacy. But unlike the sciences & literature, legitimacy in politics is taking sides. President Obama seems to be the best (and most deserving) candidate simply because his power makes him almost neutral (it's difficult to tackle any American president politically anyway). It's a smart tactic: award someone a prize, which really means little or nothing to him, and which do little or nothing to change the direction of his policies.

I find it ironic that it is a Nobel Peace Prize - awarded to the leader of a country still at war.
There are times when war is required for peace.

But I agree with everyone, its a conspiracy.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-09, 22:33   Link #4260
Sister Princess
Easy Operation
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 30
Just to be off topic, can Obama refuse to accept the Noble Peace prize?
Sister Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.