AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-06-10, 11:27   Link #421
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
I think we need a break of good news. Remember Luke Skywalker's bionic hand in The Empire Strikes Back? We've just got one step closer to a commerical version that could soon be available to ordinary people who have lost their limbs.

Bionic hand wins top tech prize
Quote:
London (10 Jun 08): The world's most advanced, commercially available, bionic hand has clinched Britain's top engineering prize.

The i-LIMB, a prosthetic device with five individually powered digits, beat three other finalists to win this year's MacRobert award. The technology has been fitted to more than 200 people, including US soldiers who lost limbs during the war in Iraq.

The device started life in Scotland in 1963 as part of a project to help children affected by Thalidomide. The complex device finally went on sale in July 2007. It is produced by a company called Touch Bionics based in Mid Calder, Livingston.

"Touch Bionics have fundamentally changed the benchmark for what constitutes an acceptable prosthesis," said Dr Geoff Robinson, chairman of the MacRobert Award Judging Panel.

The hand does not require surgery to be fitted to the patient's stump, according to Mr Stuart Mead, CEO of Touch Bionics. "There are two electrodes that sit on the skin that pick up myoelectric signals," he explained. These impulses are created by the contraction of muscle fibres in the body.

"It's such a fantastic invention," Mr Ray Edwards, a quadruple amputee and one of the first people in the UK to be fitted with the device, told BBC News. "When the arm was put on, I had tears rolling down my face. It was the first time in 21 years that I had seen a hand open. I can do a thumbs-up, I can hold a pen and I can do many things that I couldn't do before."
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 14:36   Link #422
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I think the problem is slightly deeper than that. It's not so much that neighbours can't spot a potential murderer. Rather, it appears that Kato had been able to hide his intentions by adopting the public persona of a well-behaved adult.
Yes, however, he has repeatedly shown desire to mass murder people on internet forums.
New revealations of logs between him and other online community members of lonely people looking for mates showed his insanity, tendency to blame everyone but himself, and desire to kill others. Even though he may not have shown these tendencies in Real Life, it was presented frequently online. This is becoming more and more common these days... people who vent their angst online, and only showing his/her true colors there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post

Hello mr Jack Thompson.
Every person has a knife in his house, how else do they expect people to prepare their food? Don't know why they look in to something like that to begin with. It's not like that being the cause of the problem. While they are at it, they might as well tighten the control on laundry detergent seeing the events of suicides using those products...

Meh, this world sure is twisted.
To be fair, he did not use a kitchen knife.
He used what's called a "survival knife", also known as dagger knife, designed for human combat. Although you could argue that he could simply use kitchen knife to commit the same crime, the fact that a weapon designed to main or kill human beings was used does not change.
(By the way, I do not support banning daggers or anything. I just felt it's unfair to use kitchen knife as an example in this case)
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 14:53   Link #423
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 28
Mmm, wasn't specified what kind of knife. Though that doesn't change my point. The knife is just a example. Banning knifes of whatever kind wouldn't of prevent things like this from happening. Any person can get a object to kill people. Be it buying a chain saw or a a kitchen knife. So imo tighten the control of knifes is a pointless thing to do, and it's just diverting from the true source of the problem.
__________________

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 17:28   Link #424
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Mmm, wasn't specified what kind of knife. Though that doesn't change my point. The knife is just a example. Banning knifes of whatever kind wouldn't of prevent things like this from happening. Any person can get a object to kill people. Be it buying a chain saw or a a kitchen knife. So imo tighten the control of knifes is a pointless thing to do, and it's just diverting from the true source of the problem.
By your logic, gun control would be useless. You could argue that chainsaw and nailguns can kill also, so guns should be allowed. When you start making these comparisons, where do you draw the line? Assault rifles? Grenades? Bombs?
Bombs should not be illegal because anyone can make a fairly harmful explosive with legally purchased substances?

You may argue against arms control, if you live in the United States, of course.
But this incident is in Japan. We're no where near as gung-ho.
I agree that banning these makes no diffrence in the end and people could use anything as weapons.
But the the reasoning behind why items "designed to kill a human" is restricted is not without merit.
There is a reason why daggers are seens as dangerous items, both in functionality and what it symbolizes, than a kitchen knife.
It's the same reasoning why assault rifles are seen as more dangerous items than a hunting rifle, even though they both can be lethal weapons against a human being.

P.S.: Btw, carrying knives that's longer than 6 inches long is illegal even in the US, in some states.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 17:39   Link #425
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
By your logic, gun control would be useless. You could argue that chainsaw and nailguns can kill also, so guns should be allowed. When you start making these comparisons, where do you draw the line? Assault rifles? Grenades? Bombs?
Bombs should not be illegal because anyone can make a fairly harmful explosive with legally purchased substances?

You may argue against arms control, if you live in the United States, of course.
But this incident is in Japan. We're no where near as gung-ho.

P.S.: Btw, carrying knives that's longer than 6 inches long is illegal even in the US, in some states.
That's correct, there are certain knives and swords that you are not allowed to carry around. Some states will not even allow you to possess them.

However you also need to consider the inverse. Someone went on a rampage with a knife. Is it rational to ban all knives? The fact is that you can injure and/or kill people with practically any object. Should we try to ban any potentially harmful object as a result?

I think it would be better if people didn't expect the government to try and protect them from every little thing. Too many people seem to expect it, and as a result nobody wants to do anything to help others. Plenty of people won't even call the police or emergency services if they see something suspicious or someone in need, they simply don't want to get involved. This is a problem that I've noticed right here in America, and I can only imagine that it exists in other countries, too. You don't need to try and be a hero by jumping in front of someone with a knife or a gun, but call for help and assist in any way that you can. We're all a part of our respective societies, so do what you can to keep the peace and ensure that your society is prosperous.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 17:41   Link #426
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
However you also need to consider the inverse. Someone went on a rampage with a knife. Is it rational to ban all knives? The fact is that you can injure and/or kill people with practically any object. Should we try to ban any potentially harmful object as a result?
And Ledgem, where exactly, did anyone state that "all knives should be banned"?
Quote me a source, please.
You guys are jumping to conclusions not based on what was actually stated, but rather "jumping the gun." (pun totally intended )

They specifically mentioned restrictions on carrying survival knives (dagger knives).
It's no diffrent than the reasoning behind why US bans civillian ownership of AK-47, but does not ban hunting rifles.

It is perfectly rational to consider banning "daggers" for the reasons of what it represents.
I do not agree with it, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.
It's not illogical, just damn annoying (from personal rights position).

If they start saying they'll ban kitchen knives, I'll start worrying.
But I have a feeling that housewives all over the nation won't stand there and accept that.
__________________

Last edited by aohige; 2008-06-10 at 17:59.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 18:49   Link #427
Seditary
Ooooo what?!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Someplace cold :(
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Yes, however, he has repeatedly shown desire to mass murder people on internet forums.
New revealations of logs between him and other online community members of lonely people looking for mates showed his insanity, tendency to blame everyone but himself, and desire to kill others. Even though he may not have shown these tendencies in Real Life, it was presented frequently online. This is becoming more and more common these days... people who vent their angst online, and only showing his/her true colors there.
Noone really takes that much notice of people saying such things online except police. I see people everyday post how they'd love to do violent things to others who've pissed them off at work or what have you. Cover of supposed anoniminity and all that.

Like the killer posted himself (going from Kinny's translation)

Quote:
午前6時00分 俺(おれ)が騙(だま)されてるんじゃない 俺が騙してるのか
6:00AM - If I wasn't the one being fooled, then am I the one that is fooling people?

午前6時02分 いい人を演じるのには慣れてる みんな簡単に騙される
6:02AM - I'm used to being such a nice guy, fooling everyone

午前6時03分 大人には評判の良い子だった 大人には
6:03AM - Got praised as a nice kid by the grown ups
I'm more inclined to believe he was able to cover his tendencies in the more 'noticed' real world with his neighbours and work colleagues like TinyRedLeaf said.
Seditary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 19:07   Link #428
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
Both. I consider the whole situation over here as simple madness.
considering i just ate beef 2 days ago. I would be more worried about getting into a car accident then catching yandere-cow diease.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 19:46   Link #429
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
considering i just ate beef 2 days ago. I would be more worried about getting into a car accident then catching yandere-cow diease.
The current fad seems to be ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 20:27   Link #430
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by X10A_Freedom View Post
Disgusting.

I'm also under the strong impression that "freeters" or temporary labour in Japan have very low social status and subject to stigma.
The sad fact is they are, and even sadder is that part of the problem lay in the Japanese society itself. People in this lost generation are looked down upon as "make-gumi" (負け組), which translates to "the loser group."

These late-twenties to mid thirties generation are highly educated. However, at the time of their graduation from high-school and college, Japan was facing a recession. Many companies were not willing to hire new employees. The only jobs available to them were typical part-time jobs at a convenience store, karaoke attendee, etc - basically menial jobs that doesn't count as full-time jobs.

Their jobs are acquired through temp agencies. They aren't "hired" as full-time employees so they aren't subject to the benefits or overtime pay that full-time employees receive.

They wander from job to job without a stable income. Most make less than USD $1200 a month which disappears to paying rent at el-cheapo single room temp houses, their cell phone bill and food.

They are stuck in the vicious cycle of no job, no experience, therefore no job. Hence they can never land a job with a full-time career with full benefits.

And Japanese society places stigma upon these folks. They go to an interview at a major corporation, and they are asked "So...you're twenty-some years old with absolutely no job experience. I'm sorry, we're looking for fresh-out-of-college grads or people with prior experience. Good-bye, I wish you good luck in your job search."
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-10, 21:39   Link #431
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige
The current fad seems to be ATTACK OF THE KILLER TOMATOES.
Salmonella scare over US tomatoes (10 Jun 08)

(1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
I think it would be better if people didn't expect the government to try and protect them from every little thing. Too many people seem to expect it, and as a result nobody wants to do anything to help others. Plenty of people won't even call the police or emergency services if they see something suspicious or someone in need, they simply don't want to get involved.
I'm afraid I have to take aohige's side here - I fully support bans on all weapons specifically designed to kill people. Ordinary members of the public ought not to have any reason for carrying combat knives, guns or grenades.

Quoted from BBC News:
"However, as Professor Jeff Kingston (a Japan watcher from Temple University in Tokyo) points out, Japan should be grateful for its strict gun control laws. 'If Kato had had an automatic assault rifle the mayhem in Akihabara would have been far more devastating.'"

I agree with the Professor (but I raised an eyebrow over his clumsy allusion to US gun laws - assault rifles aren't easy to get in the US either).

As for people helping others, I don't think you are being fair to the Japanese on this specific incident, Ledgem. Firstly, according to reports, the attack happened so fast that most passers-by were too stunned to react immediately. Secondly, once they got over the shock, members of the public tended to the wounded right away, while the police fought and subdued the suspect. Leave the heroics to the police - it's their job to risk life and limb in the line of duty. Passers-by who get injured while playing hero will only add to the casualty list.

(2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seditary
Noone really takes that much notice of people (who show desire to commit mass murder) online except police.
Indeed. How are neighbours, friends, family and colleagues supposed to help if the individual does not share his problems openly? That said though, reports are emerging that after he started flunking high school, Kato began turning violent against his mother. A neighbour quoted Kato's mother as saying she had grown afraid of having dinner with him.

(3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
They wander from job to job without a stable income. Most make less than USD $1200 a month which disappears to paying rent at el-cheapo single room temp houses, their cell phone bill and food. They are stuck in the vicious cycle of no job, no experience, therefore no job. Hence they can never land a job with a full-time career with full benefits.
Very sad and apparently true. Perfectly smart and capable young Japanese are caught in a vicious cycle of menial jobs simply because they failed to make it through Japan's education system. Admittedly, that description applies to all countries, however in Japan's case, its education system is more about being "part of the right club" than about nurturing a student's ability.

In Kato's case, he was apparently a top student from elementary to middle school, good enough to enter a prestigious high school. That's when his problems began - from being a big fish in a small pond, he became a small fish in a big pond. He began sliding in grades relative to other equally bright classmates, and was assumed to be a failure as a result.

And once you've been slapped with a "loser" label, you're screwed in Japan, it seems.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 02:19   Link #432
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
And Ledgem, where exactly, did anyone state that "all knives should be banned"?
Quote me a source, please.
You guys are jumping to conclusions not based on what was actually stated, but rather "jumping the gun." (pun totally intended )

They specifically mentioned restrictions on carrying survival knives (dagger knives).
It's no diffrent than the reasoning behind why US bans civillian ownership of AK-47, but does not ban hunting rifles.

It is perfectly rational to consider banning "daggers" for the reasons of what it represents.
I do not agree with it, but I can understand the reasoning behind it.
It's not illogical, just damn annoying (from personal rights position).

If they start saying they'll ban kitchen knives, I'll start worrying.
But I have a feeling that housewives all over the nation won't stand there and accept that.
Would banning the <name>knife prevented what happened at Akihabra? If a person is going to do it, he/she is going to do it... A ban like that won't stop things like this happening. There are still shooting incidents here in Holland to. Regardless of the firearms ban for civilians.

Now the survival knife suddenly has to take the blame and things have to be banned just because of that... That just doesn't make sense to me. If so many info has been send around before it happened, starting a campaign to make people more aware and more willing to help would be a more logical solution than banning daggers/survival knifes. At least more logical to me...

The issue that cause this misunderstanding is probably that i mentioned cooking/kitchen knife. It was just a example. But what i wanted to say with my post is that banning it is just diverting from the true source of the problem. And that it would of happen even with the ban. I don't mind that they ban survival knifes or dagger. But it's just not what made the person do what he did. The ban might be good for something. But it won't prevent things like this from happening. I doubt a person that is already that crazy would stop his plans just because he can't get his hand on a survival knife.

Reason i named Jack Thompson was also because this is like:
"Some guy uses knife to injure people. Tighten the control of that kind of knife"
Jack Thompson: Some kid goes on a rampage. He has GTA installed, ban GTA.
The whole thing feels like this... Aah well, one good thing. Jack Thompson won't cause gamers any problems anymore. Atleast not for a long time.

I think we can all agree on banning the survival knife wouldn't of changed the situation. It would of just been a other object making it to the news.
__________________

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders

Last edited by Sephi; 2008-06-11 at 03:14.
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 08:20   Link #433
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I can see where Sephi's coming from. Short of banning cars and trucks, I don't see how they could have changed anything. Sure, a knife isn't as good as an assault rifle. So ban assault rifles.

But if he didn't have a survival knive, he could easily have substituted a kitchen knife. Or, if you ban all knives, a sharpened spoon, or a glass shard, or whatever.


As for what he said on the internet: sure, when you say it like that, it makes it seem like some people should have know. But start a rumor that Naruto is being cancelled, and see how many people will talk of aggravated assault and arson. We're not supposed to take that kind of talk seriously.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 17:03   Link #434
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
who says all news stories have to be grim

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7448363.stm
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 18:37   Link #435
Izayoi
I LOVE FLAN_CHAN
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Flan-chan
Age: 12
Send a message via MSN to Izayoi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
who says all news stories have to be grim

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7448363.stm
Everyone from China is so excited about Olympic, the TV talks about the whole day and seriously. But hooray, sounds nicer than mine name.
__________________
I love Flandre Scarlet
Izayoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 19:17   Link #436
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
In entertainment news, Japanese group SMAP has been labelled "old" by a host of Mezamashi TV, surnamed Ito (I can't translate his name). Interestingly, singer/seiyu Horie Yui, being the day's special guest, blogged about it, but later took down the post due to the flame wars going on.

This is from my local paper. Can any watchers of Horie-san's blog confirm this?
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 19:19   Link #437
Kang Seung Jae
神聖カルル帝国の 皇帝
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Korea
Age: 27
This sounds very...... ungentle, but a comment on the Akihabara carnage that was posted somewhere on the Japanese web:


"That's just like GTA."
__________________
Kang Seung Jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-11, 19:26   Link #438
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kang Seung Jae View Post
This sounds very...... ungentle, but a comment on the Akihabara carnage that was posted somewhere on the Japanese web:


"That's just like GTA."
There's no "Restart level" option this time round.
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 00:01   Link #439
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Would banning the <name>knife prevented what happened at Akihabra? If a person is going to do it, he/she is going to do it... A ban like that won't stop things like this happening. There are still shooting incidents here in Holland to. Regardless of the firearms ban for civilians.
That's just it. Regardless of whether banning the dagger would have prevented the incident or not, is irrelevant.

Again, let me repeat myself for the third time.
By your logic, "banning assault rifles didn't stop the Columbine Highschool Massacare. Therefore, it must be pointless to ban those types of assault rifles, he/she is going to do it anyways."

You don't seriously think there's no flaw to this logic, do you?
__________________

Last edited by aohige; 2008-06-12 at 00:14.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-12, 01:01   Link #440
Guts
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: ...
Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
I wonder if the government would have a forced abortion, if they named a second child that.
Guts is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.