AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-01-26, 15:44   Link #5701
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I guarantee if these people were starving their little pointless argument would go right out the window while they licking their chops. If you can kill it then you can eat it. Just because humanity has labeled these animals pets does not change the fact that they are still animals.
And humans labeled humans as humans, they are animals too.. mammals of the species homo sapiens sapiens to be precise. Your logic is broken beyond repair. If you talked about culture (socialization) and emotional bonds it would have made more sense.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 16:49   Link #5702
AnimeFan188
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
It looks like the Roppongi district has fallen into disrepute.

See:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-a...,5351097.story
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 17:42   Link #5703
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35083861...-more_politics

Carrying around a hidden camera is one thing but who told these guys trying to tap a Senator's phone would be a good idea?
cors8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 17:56   Link #5704
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: A furry den
Age: 21
Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Skype™ to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35083861...-more_politics

Carrying around a hidden camera is one thing but who told these guys trying to tap a Senator's phone would be a good idea?
1 person did, the idiot himself.
__________________
"That bus! It has an awesome ring to it!"
Haruka_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 18:30   Link #5705
bbqsauced
Stoned.
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Somewhere in the northeast US.
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to bbqsauced
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
It simply means the average Americans will be forced to make decision out of their own interest rather than what the people in the magical box with gazillion of color pixel are stating. In the same breath I believe I need to mention that president Bush was elected... TWICE. The future is indeed looking bleak.
While some people know how to avoid it, the media still has a massive sway on people's opinion. I'd say the majority of Americans don't actually form an opinion in their own interest that isn't somehow influenced by some form of media which is then in turn controlled by a large corporation. The whole Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission decision is just another step that makes this situation much, much worse.

At least the internet is the one place where you can attempt to do some research on your own, but you still have to be careful. If net neutrality fails somehow, we are all royally screwed.
bbqsauced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 18:36   Link #5706
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 25
well if you look at the gullibility of americans, they still believe apples are superior computers than pc's, yet they use the same or inferior parts... methinks the public is not ready for this, but I'll just say this if our corporate overlords are listening, please spare me I'll be the perfect corproate shill yes man you want, because I know how to play the game.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 18:40   Link #5707
mg1942
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35083861...-more_politics

Carrying around a hidden camera is one thing but who told these guys trying to tap a Senator's phone would be a good idea?
this is going to suck for fox news... these people are treated as heroes.
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 19:19   Link #5708
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikita View Post
Pretty sure it's more the mindset: "if I have alot of kids, they'll be able to support me (by working) later on"
or "if I have a lot of kids it'll increase the chance of some surviving and supporting me later on"
or yeah maybe just they didn't plan on it.. -_-
Actually it's worse. The more kids they pop out, the more the government holds their hands. They get more back from taxes, they get more food stamps, they get more welfare (up to a certain point).

As an unemployed and homeless single person I have not received anywhere near the financial and employment assistance that people with dependent children have.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 19:36   Link #5709
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
this is going to suck for fox news... these people are treated as heroes.
They can still spin it. Let's see here... Those guys weren't trying to break any laws by illegally wiretapping the senator. They're historical reenactors. Reenacting Watergate. But couldn't find anyone in the Watergate itself, so they tried the senate. The evil liberal media is persecuting these patriotic Americans for their hobbies. Next thing you know they'll be going after Civil War reenactors too. When will this madness stop?
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 20:39   Link #5710
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
well if you look at the gullibility of americans, they still believe apples are superior computers than pc's, yet they use the same or inferior parts... methinks the public is not ready for this, but I'll just say this if our corporate overlords are listening, please spare me I'll be the perfect corproate shill yes man you want, because I know how to play the game.
Ohhhh now you've gone and done it. All the Apple and PC fanbois are going to come out in force and shut down this forum now.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 20:41   Link #5711
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
I guarantee if these people were starving their little pointless argument would go right out the window while they licking their chops. If you can kill it then you can eat it. Just because humanity has labeled these animals pets does not change the fact that they are still animals.
Most people I know wouldn't eat their pets. I know I wouldn't. Even as a means to surviving. My cats are part of my family. Of course, the fact that a good portion of my family isn't worth the air they breath, might make me a bit bias. I'll kill a dog or cat that threatens my home or my family. But I won't kill one just to eat.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 21:35   Link #5712
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armored Knight View Post
Eating birds of prey, cats, dogs and those dirty pigs is disgusting and unhealthy.

Cow, sheep, deer, gazelle, camels and goat meat is something good to eat. Sheep meet is my favourite and gazelle is the best but it is too expensive.
I'm pretty sure you're just talking out of your ass here... Meat can be divided for its different nutritional benefits but what you'll find is simple fat and protein level differences as well as different nutrient levels. Nothing unhealthy about eating other predatory animals, we're the top of the food chain after all.

As for eating dogs; I might if I were starving but the main difference I see between eating a cow vs a dog is that cows were bred to be food producers whereas dogs are hardwired into the 'partner' kind of role. Still not a particularly strong argument but as a dog lover I needed to throw something out there,
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 21:58   Link #5713
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I'm pretty sure you're just talking out of your ass here... Meat can be divided for its different nutritional benefits but what you'll find is simple fat and protein level differences as well as different nutrient levels. Nothing unhealthy about eating other predatory animals, we're the top of the food chain after all.

As for eating dogs; I might if I were starving but the main difference I see between eating a cow vs a dog is that cows were bred to be food producers whereas dogs are hardwired into the 'partner' kind of role. Still not a particularly strong argument but as a dog lover I needed to throw something out there,
but in china they are bred for food for thousands of years.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 22:45   Link #5714
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
That I was not aware of, so there really isn't any reason for the ban.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 22:49   Link #5715
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Back to the U.S. style of politics... Obama to seek freeze on part of the budget
It now looks like the spin is coming out for this. Unfortunately, this Huffington Post editorial by Biden's chief economist is fairly long on rhetoric but short of working details. The upcoming State of the Union address today by Barack Obama may have more information; the recent NBC/WSJ poll should be having his speech writers and analysts working on some concrete proposals to be given then. That should hopefully give some direction on how things will likely go this year. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
__________________
"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?" -- Misc.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 22:52   Link #5716
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
A few regional political stories that may otherwise slip under the radar.

Myanmar hints at Suu Kyi release in November
Quote:
Yangon, Myanmar (Jan 25): Myanmar's military government may be planning to release pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi later this year, say reports from the country.

Myanmar's home minister reportedly said Ms Suu Kyi would be freed when her current period of house arrest expires, which is scheduled for November. Critics say, however, that the junta intends to detain her until after planned elections, which are due this year even though no date has yet been set.

Myanmarese officials have hinted many times that Ms Suu Kyi may be released, but this is the first time in recent months that a putative date has been attached to the idea.

Ms Suu Kyi's detention was extended by 18 months last August, over an incident in which an American man swam, uninvited, to her lakeside home. If she is released in November, key questions remain about the terms of her possible freedom.

- BBC NEWS
HK lawmakers quit in push for democracy
Quote:
Hong Kong (Jan 26): Five pro-democracy legislators in Hong Kong have resigned their seats in a bid to pressure Beijing for full democracy.

The group says the resulting by-election will serve as a referendum on universal suffrage in the territory. Democrats want full direct elections by 2012 — several years ahead of the timetable set by China's government.

But some pro-Beijing lawmakers have already said they will boycott the by-elections, making it harder for the polls to be seen as a legitimate vote on the importance of democracy.

Analysts say the resignation plan highlights the deep divide in Hong Kong politics. Currently, only half of Hong Kong's legislators are directly elected; the rest are chosen by special interest groups, most of whom are pro-Beijing.

Under British rule for more than 150 years, the territory was returned to China in 1997 under a special agreement that promised to retain Western-style practices. The Basic Law, Hong Kong's mini-constitution, stipulates that the legislative council should eventually be elected by universal suffrage — but this will only happen by 2020 at the earliest.

Recent opinion polls show tepid public support for actions by pro-democracy groups.

- BBC NEWS
Up against the Great Firewall of China
Quote:
BY SIM CHI YIN

EACH time Web portal executive Li (not his real name) receives an e-mail from his political masters telling him to remove certain posts and articles, he curses under his breath — and then immediately carries out the orders.

Heavy-handed — and tightening — censorship was a key reason cited by international cyber giant Google for possibly quitting China, the world's largest Internet market. But it is a daily reality for the thousands of fresh-faced Chinese who work in China's "Silicon Valley", Zhongguancun, in west Beijing.

Mostly graduates of top local universities, many struggle with the sort of "schizophrenia" Li professes to have: yearning for free flow of information but having to block an ever-growing list of "sensitive" words and content.

Even as United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton made a loud call for global Internet freedom last Thursday, foreign Internet companies in China, including Google, play by the same rules as local firms — for sheer survival.

Beijing-based technology analyst Kaiser Kuo noted: "There's widespread acceptance of it. It's just how business is done here."

While some two thirds of Chinese surveyed in January 2008 in a University of Maryland poll said they "should have the right to read whatever is on the Internet", another poll by the Pew Research Centre in the United States and the official Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, published in the same year, showed that more than 80 per cent of respondents thought the Internet should be managed or controlled.

Said Mr Kuo: "Many in China who appear cosmopolitan and are perhaps even Western-educated still accept the argument that throwing open the floodgates and allowing a fully free Internet could destabilise society."

Mr Lin Jun, author of a new book on the history of the Internet in China, disagreed. "Information flow really cannot be blocked," he said. "People who have higher aspirations for more information can always fan qiang." This is a Chinese netizens' term for "scaling the wall", by using software and Web-based proxies.

Indeed, Li and other reluctant cogs in the machine plod on with a resigned optimism. "Ordinary Chinese are getting smarter. We use homonyms to mock officials' words until they are embarrassed to use those same terms," he said.

"Anyway, good things live on for a longer time. Bad things die off."

- THE STRAITS TIMES
Sri Lanka on edge after polls
Quote:
Colombo (Jan 27): President Mahinda Rajapakse has taken the lead in Sri Lanka's tense election, officials said today, but the opposition said it was on course for power despite a row over its candidate's eligibility.

Election officials said Mr Rajapakse, who is being challenged by his former army chief, Mr Sarath Fonseka, had won over 60 per cent of the vote with about one tenth of the ballots counted.

The winner is set to be announced around 12pm local time (0630 GMT) today.

The island nation's presidential vote, held yesterday, was the first since Mr Rajapakse and Mr Fonseka engineered the final defeat of Tamil Tiger separatists last year after three decades of civil war.

The campaign's vitriolic nature, coupled with warnings by the opposition of protests, fraud and state-backed coups, had raised fears that the loser might reject the result and foment new unrest instead of a peace dividend.

- AFP
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 23:17   Link #5717
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
And Obama was elected in 2008. What's your point?
Are we seriously comparing Obama to Bush now? I didn't take you for a baka.... Unlike the previous two election, this one was decisive. And you entirely missed or ignored (probably the latter) the point of that post. I didn't think I missed my point. Thank the deuce I read Vexx, bqsauced and couple of other follow up comments cause otherwise I would've been a bit down by this sort of remarks. And besides the mess we have put ourselves into is going to take a lot of doing even if the messiah himself was the president.

The one criticism that I fully agree with is that this president isn't very assertive. His inexperience in the political field is probably one of the reason that explains the lacking.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 23:24   Link #5718
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Are we seriously comparing Obama to Bush now? I didn't take you for a baka.... Unlike the previous two election, this one was decisive. And you entirely missed or ignored (probably the latter) the point of that post. I didn't think I missed my point. Thank the deuce I read Vexx, bqsauced and couple of other follow up comments cause otherwise I would've been a bit down by this sort of remarks. And besides the mess we have put ourselves into is going to take a lot of doing even if the messiah himself was the president.

The one criticism that I fully agree with is that this president isn't very assertive. His inexperience in the political field is probably one of the reason that explains the lacking.
I'm the Baka? Don't even get me started on what he's done and what he's been doing just in his first year. He makes Bush look George Washington-est. And that's SAYING SOMETHING.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 23:47   Link #5719
monir
cho~ kakkoii
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: 3rd Planet
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinstrife View Post
I'm the Baka? Don't even get me started on what he's done and what he's been doing just in his first year. He makes Bush look George Washington-est. And that's SAYING SOMETHING.
A valid comparison between the two would be after he concludes his first term. Until then, stay tuned. It's easy to get into shits. Getting out is where it takes patience and perseverance which we generally lack.
__________________
Eat and sleep! And Solace. Sig by RRW.
Space Brothers Executive member of the ASS. Ready to flee at the first sign of trouble.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-01-26, 23:50   Link #5720
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: John Galt Railroad
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
A valid comparison between the two would be after he concludes his first term. Until then, stay tuned. It's easy to get into shits. Getting out is where it takes patience and perseverance which we generally lack.
The fact that he spent months blowing off his Generals on the war in Afghanistan and Iraq should tell you all you need to know. He's the Commander in Chief for cryingoutloud.

Just ask our armed forces how they view his first year.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.