AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-05-20, 00:15   Link #7261
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Mortuary : D
Smoke on the Skyline, makes Thailand look like a warzone .

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=123935401


__________________
Zu Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 00:30   Link #7262
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada/Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Details are up on the attacks against the ROK Navy.

Quote:
South Korea says North torpedoed ship

By Jack Kim and Jonathan Thatcher

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea accused the reclusive North on Thursday of torpedoing one of its warships, heightening tension in the economically powerful region and testing the international position of China, Pyongyang's only major backer.

South Korea said it would take "firm" measures against its impoverished neighbor, which furiously responded that it was ready for war if Seoul or its allies imposed sanctions.

A report by investigators, including experts from the United States, Australia, Britain and Sweden, concluded that a North Korean submarine had fired the torpedo which sank the Cheonan corvette in March, killing 46 sailors.

"There is no other plausible explanation," their report said.

Financial markets in Seoul showed little reaction to the widely anticipated findings of the report but were watching nervously for any serious escalation in tensions.

"The key is what kind of measures South Korea will take and how North Korea will react to them," said Choi Seong-lak, an analyst at SK Securities.

"If things become violent it will affect foreign investors, but for today the impact from the result itself will be limited."

International condemnation was immediate, with the stark exception of China, which analysts say is desperate to avoid any action that might destabilize its reclusive neighbor and lead to a spill-out into in its territory.

A senior South Korean government official said previously that the attack appeared to have been in revenge for a firefight near the disputed North-South border late last year in which the North's navy was humiliated.

U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called the contents of the South Korean investigation deeply troubling.

Both the United States and Britain gave their backing to the findings, with the White House calling it an act of aggression that was another sign of the North's unacceptable behavior.

China simply termed the sinking "unfortunate." Vice Foreign Minister Cui Tiankai declined to comment on the South Korean report and urged stability on the peninsula.

FIRM MEASURES

South Korean President Lee Myung-bak will hold an emergency meeting of his National Security Council on Friday. His government has already made clear it has no plans for a retaliatory strike of its own but will be pressing the international community to take action, probably more sanctions, against the North.

"We will be taking firm, responsive measures against the North, and through international cooperation, we have to make the North admit its wrongdoing and come back as a responsible member of the international community," Lee was quoted by his office as telling Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.

The report, announced in a nationally televised news conference, said intelligence had shown that North Korean submarines were likely in operation near the scene of the sinking, with similar vessels of other neighboring countries all inside their territorial waters.

"The evidence points overwhelmingly to the conclusion that the torpedo was fired by a North Korean submarine," it said.

The issue has plunged already icy relations between the two Koreas deeper into the freezer.

North Korea said the South's conservative government was using the incident for political gain and to further undermine ties between the two Koreas, which have yet to sign a formal peace treaty to end their 1950-53 war.

"Our army and people will promptly react to any 'punishment' and 'retaliation' and to any 'sanctions' infringing upon our state interests with various forms of tough measures including an all-out war," its official news agency quoted the powerful National Defence Commission as saying in a typically florid statement.

The issue also puts China in a tricky spot. The host of on-again, off-again regional talks to rein in North Korea's nuclear weapons program is the reclusive state's only major ally and is reluctant to penalize its government.

"It's going to be very, very difficult for China to navigate this one. The South Koreans are not particularly pleased about what China's doing," said Charles Freeman, China expert at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington.

Seoul is already upset with Beijing, a major trading partner, for hosting North Korean leader Kim Jong-il on a rare trip abroad before the outcome of the investigation was announced.

But there have been media reports in the South that Chinese leaders may not have given the frail-looking Kim as much support as he wanted, speculating ties may now be starting to fray.

Paik Jin-hyun, a North Korea expert at Seoul National University, said tension between the two Koreas was inevitable.

"North Korea has given out war threats before and they are doing this now because the situation has become urgent for them. They will try to block sanctions at all costs. In this heightened state of affairs, provocations may occur."

(Additional reporting by Rhee So-eui, Miyoung Kim, Christine Kim and Kim Yeon-hee in Seoul, Chris Buckley in Beijing, Paul Eckert and Matt Spetalnick in Washington; Writing by Jonathan Thatcher; Editing by Raju Gopalakrishnan)
I won't be surprised if the DPRK Navy is responsible. Thing is, their submarines are antiquated, dating back from the Cold War years. Not much info I have on their fleet aside from what Bermudez can provide.
__________________

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 00:34   Link #7263
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu Ra View Post
Smoke on the Skyline, makes Thailand look like a warzone .

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=123935401


damn man...
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 03:02   Link #7264
MitsubishiZero
Resource cabinet
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
About The South Korea battle ship thingy: seriously, you say that it is an advanced and modern ship, so it should be able to detect all kinds of torpedo and submarines that the North Koreans can throw at you. Come on, let's face it, their ships and armaments are from the Cold War and a torpedo cannot exceed a certain range. Your supposedly advanced ship should had been able to detect the existance of North Korean submarines and the torpedos, and counter-acted. Also, I find the reaction by the US very funny. Obama said he "supported the investigation" instead of the usual reaction of screaming for sanctions and apology and everything. Something is very fishy........



About Thailand: From what I can see it is like a civial war going on there now, one group of armed people fighting against the government army with real guns and bullets and M79s........and setting buildings on fire (Shopping malls, TV stations, banks etc) is just simply the acts of rebels.
__________________
I am just a normal Canadian......watching anime doesn't mean I am hentai or something.....


I am nobody, just a simple resource cabinet.....
MitsubishiZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 03:12   Link #7265
NinjaYali
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Corsica
Happy Everybody Draw Mohammed Day!!!

Spoiler for Instructions on how to draw the Prophet Mohammed for great justice:


Pakistan has turned it's attention to this glorious day.

Quote:
A Seattle cartoonist's satirical suggestion that Thursday be dubbed "Everybody Draw Mohammed Day" has led to anything but humor in some quarters, particularly Pakistan, which on Wednesday evening shut down Facebook.

An Islamic lawyers association in Lahore, Pakistan, argued that the contest essentially equaled blasphemy, and on Wednesday won a court injunction against the social-networking site. A Facebook page promoting the cartoonist's idea (but not set up by her) had drawn upward of 71,000 members as of 11 p.m. PDT Wednesday night.

Facebook will reportedly be shut down in Pakistan for the remainder of the month.
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 03:21   Link #7266
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
An Islamic organization in Indonesia also ask goverment to press Facebook to remove the content. And some fanatic even screaming of blocking Facebook connection from Indonesia.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 03:28   Link #7267
NinjaYali
Banned
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Corsica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
An Islamic organization in Indonesia also ask goverment to press Facebook to remove the content. And some fanatic even screaming of blocking Facebook connection from Indonesia.
You know what the ironic thing is, I can find images of Mohammed much worse then what they put on facebook.

Anyway, enjoy the frenzy
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 03:44   Link #7268
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
What better way to start the day then with some good old fashioned Miss USA controversy sparked by xenophobic blog comments that come courtesy of a Fox News contributor:



Just as an aside, why does it seem like every female anchor and guest on Fox News is a power dressing (usually attractive) blonde with lip gloss on?

Please note that this is more of a rhetorical question than anything.

Edit:

A small update where Rima Fakih calls the comments by Debbie Schlussel hurtful

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2010-05-20 at 03:58.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 04:29   Link #7269
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaYali View Post
You know what the ironic thing is, I can find images of Mohammed much worse then what they put on facebook.

Anyway, enjoy the frenzy
Well, most of Islamic fanatics here doesnt use internet...
To them, internet means Yahoo!, Google, Facebook, local news site.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 05:08   Link #7270
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
Details are up on the attacks against the ROK Navy.



I won't be surprised if the DPRK Navy is responsible. Thing is, their submarines are antiquated, dating back from the Cold War years. Not much info I have on their fleet aside from what Bermudez can provide.
Not much as antiquated when China is supplying them with arms. They probably had 2nd hand 1990s armanent, but still nothing of at edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Well, most of Islamic fanatics here doesnt use internet...
To them, internet means Yahoo!, Google, Facebook, local news site.
Genius! So let's cut the Muslim world off the internet! *sarcastic*

Although this "Draw Mohammed Day" is rather rude as an idea, the religious fanatics' response isn't helping their image either of making Islam look benevolent, nor make themselves look intelligent. Though it is funny that Iran or the Al-Qaeda hasn't made any response.

And I would suggest that whoever started this make a public address to clear up the intentions of the "day". When a million idiots decry this as blasphemy, the million idiots are still citizens of their country, and their countries still needs to run each day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
An Islamic organization in Indonesia also ask goverment to press Facebook to remove the content. And some fanatic even screaming of blocking Facebook connection from Indonesia.
I find it rather interesting that their government, or even that Islamic organisation, aren't doing anything about the local economy or corruption, but rather, spending time on this kind of small issues.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-05-20 at 05:45.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 08:02   Link #7271
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiZero View Post
About The South Korea battle ship thingy: seriously, you say that it is an advanced and modern ship, so it should be able to detect all kinds of torpedo and submarines that the North Koreans can throw at you. Come on, let's face it, their ships and armaments are from the Cold War and a torpedo cannot exceed a certain range. Your supposedly advanced ship should had been able to detect the existance of North Korean submarines and the torpedos, and counter-acted.
Maybe if both ships were on a war footing and the South Korean ship had authorization to immediately attack and destroy the Nork ship the second they spotted it...

But the South Koreans don't want a war with the North (namely because it'd be a mess and they'd have to manage a 4th world country afterwords) so the South Korean vessel probably is not on the hair trigger alert that it'd be in a wartime situation. So the North Korean ship could conceivably get close enough to the Korean ship to fire off torpedo's with there not being enough time for the South Korean ship to respond due to them perhaps being more lax than usual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiZero View Post
Also, I find the reaction by the US very funny. Obama said he "supported the investigation" instead of the usual reaction of screaming for sanctions and apology and everything. Something is very fishy........
How is screaming for sanctions and apology the usual response for the Obama administration with regards to North Korea?

And I seriously doubt this is some kind of false flag incident if that's what you're implying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What better way to start the day then with some good old fashioned Miss USA controversy sparked by xenophobic blog comments that come courtesy of a Fox News contributor:



Just as an aside, why does it seem like every female anchor and guest on Fox News is a power dressing (usually attractive) blonde with lip gloss on?

Please note that this is more of a rhetorical question than anything.

Edit:

A small update where Rima Fakih calls the comments by Debbie Schlussel hurtful
Debbie Schlussel is a fucking bitch as usual.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 09:30   Link #7272
Mr. DJ
Schwing!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Central Texas
Age: 30
her face hurts my eyes
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 09:37   Link #7273
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
What better way to start the day then with some good old fashioned Miss USA controversy sparked by xenophobic blog comments that come courtesy of a Fox News contributor:



Just as an aside, why does it seem like every female anchor and guest on Fox News is a power dressing (usually attractive) blonde with lip gloss on?

Please note that this is more of a rhetorical question than anything.

Edit:

A small update where Rima Fakih calls the comments by Debbie Schlussel hurtful
"They have sources that they were singing lebanese songs...
because it's a lebanese resturant"

Genius.
Where there's haters in America, there are the lovers and we need more of the lovers like that dude that breaks apart the blog report to show just how stupid it is out there.
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 09:58   Link #7274
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I find it rather interesting that their government, or even that Islamic organisation, aren't doing anything about the local economy or corruption, but rather, spending time on this kind of small issues.
Nope nope...
To them, nation law <<<<<< religion.
As long as religion didnt forbide, then all is "halal". Law can't even stop that.
Even suicide bombers is hailed as heroes in some region of Indonesia.

And guess what. Recently, a tax officer is captured for corruption. He uses some the corruption money for building mosque and sent some of his neighboorhood to Mekkah. For what? Just so his GOD won't give him divine judgement.

And here's my personal experience. I've heard some sermon in mosque near my place that encourage all moslem people there to fight against the America and their ally. And they even curse Indonesian people that sided with Zionist bla bla.

Not that i hate Islam. But i hate narrow minded people like that. Killing people for a place in heaven? Sadly, many still believe that fairy tale in Indonesia.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 11:32   Link #7275
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Nope nope...
To them, nation law <<<<<< religion.
As long as religion didnt forbide, then all is "halal". Law can't even stop that.
Even suicide bombers is hailed as heroes in some region of Indonesia.

And guess what. Recently, a tax officer is captured for corruption. He uses some the corruption money for building mosque and sent some of his neighboorhood to Mekkah. For what? Just so his GOD won't give him divine judgement.

And here's my personal experience. I've heard some sermon in mosque near my place that encourage all moslem people there to fight against the America and their ally. And they even curse Indonesian people that sided with Zionist bla bla.

Not that i hate Islam. But i hate narrow minded people like that. Killing people for a place in heaven? Sadly, many still believe that fairy tale in Indonesia.
And I thought it is stated somewhere in the Koran that only Allah has the right to judge who goes to heaven or who gets to be the Dijjal's plaything.

Divine judgement or not, it is nonsensical to build another mosque when people out there are going hungry. These people may be religious, but they got their priorities all wrong.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 11:49   Link #7276
Joojoobees
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
"They have sources that they were singing lebanese songs...
because it's a lebanese resturant"

Genius.
Where there's haters in America, there are the lovers and we need more of the lovers like that dude that breaks apart the blog report to show just how stupid it is out there.
"They'll use it for what? Secret bimbo attacks?"

I can't believe the utter UTTER irresponsibility of some people. You can criticize the Miss USA pageant for a lot of things. But when you start saying it is part of some conspiracy to elevate Islam, you should be locked up. That is a clear sign you have gone off your meds, and to keep your community safe, you should be LOCKED UP.

Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 13:48   Link #7277
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
"They'll use it for what? Secret bimbo attacks?"

I can't believe the utter UTTER irresponsibility of some people. You can criticize the Miss USA pageant for a lot of things. But when you start saying it is part of some conspiracy to elevate Islam, you should be locked up. That is a clear sign you have gone off your meds, and to keep your community safe, you should be LOCKED UP.

One of the great things about America is that people are allowed to *document* that they are batshit insane so the rest of us can "spot the loony" more easily.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 19:29   Link #7278
Autumn Demon
~
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ithaca, NY
Age: 25
Swedish princess continues sexist wedding tradition
Autumn Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 19:30   Link #7279
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada/Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Not much as antiquated when China is supplying them with arms. They probably had 2nd hand 1990s armanent, but still nothing of at edge.
That is possible when another Korean War is about to erupt and China wishes to help the DPRK. But when push comes to shove that China wants a peace agreement between the Koreas, they can always stop supplying them with weapons and vehicles. I guess the same goes for the Russians.
__________________

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-20, 21:23   Link #7280
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Just read local newspaper today.

Pakistan has blocked all access to Youtube, Wikipedia, and 450 other sites regarding Facebook incident about Nabi Muhammad.

O.o


US vows punishment for North Korea over ship sinking

Why US vows?? This is problem between two Koreans...
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.