AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-07-17, 16:55   Link #8261
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Not that I care but this answer is going to probably get negrepped to hell and back and possibly even get deleted or get me banned but I don't care.

Personally I think religion (all of it, it doesn't matter what brand, flavor or variety you choose) is an extremely dangerous thought virus that has done nothing but harm the human race. Asking me to be sensitive to religious issues, well, I'm not going to actively antagonize anyone, but I'm not going to walk on eggshells, either.

Anything that slows organized religions' attempt to convert the entire world into a mindless army of stagnant, closeminded zombies incapable of thinking for themselves is a good thing.

Please note I'm talking about all religions here, but specifically the Big Three, since they seem to be the most popular and also the most contagious.

Now excuse me while I go find my asbestos-lined hazard suit...

Can we please move on?
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 17:38   Link #8262
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Not that I care but this answer is going to probably get negrepped to hell and back and possibly even get deleted or get me banned but I don't care.

Personally I think religion (all of it, it doesn't matter what brand, flavor or variety you choose) is an extremely dangerous thought virus that has done nothing but harm the human race. Asking me to be sensitive to religious issues, well, I'm not going to actively antagonize anyone, but I'm not going to walk on eggshells, either.

Anything that slows organized religions' attempt to convert the entire world into a mindless army of stagnant, closeminded zombies incapable of thinking for themselves is a good thing.

Please note I'm talking about all religions here, but specifically the Big Three, since they seem to be the most popular and also the most contagious.

Now excuse me while I go find my asbestos-lined hazard suit...

Can we please move on?
Uh... why aren't you against Fox News then? Don't they do that too, they might be even worse than religions because instead of the almighty bible they worship the almighty dollar, conning people into believing their reporting is fair and balanced while advocating for hypocrisy and anarchy? I mean in the end it comes down to freedom of speech and equal protection, religions and religious people deserve the same protections that men, women, black, white, asian, hispanic, etc deserve. If you choose to say that certain things are taboo, but only because it's based on a stereotype of specific group or because it's a certain group should make for this argument to be about liberty and justice. If you going to ban a mosque then you should ban all forms of organizational programs. As a person who can't rationalize the notion of a all powerful god and the terrible world we live in, I should not care, but I believe that innately and under the rule of law all people should be treated equally. Is that too much to ask for? That the person next to me be treated in the same manner as I am.

My comment wasn't an insult it was an observation. How can someone be pro limited government yet want the government to suppress certain groups you don't agree with, those two are strictly contradictory and hypocritical.

Also I don't care what politicians do, if they are going to co-opt a position does that mean I can't take that position anymore? Like if Micheal Steehl said "Torture doesn't work" should I suddenly not believe it because he said it? Just because opinions overlap doesn't automatically invalidate the opinion or in some cases facts. This is why the political system will need to change, you can't have people voting for things they don't believe in, people might vote in Gay Rights champions but they might philosophically disagree about abortion or taxes. We need to shift to voting based on the issues and not representatives, or at least representatives for certain issues, because the hyper polarized electorate has to either take bleeding heart liberal or gun wielding anarchist and those are not the only two philosophies.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 18:53   Link #8263
Joojoobees
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
did Stone get into the Shutdown of opposition media, the setting up a separate office after the opposition won Mayor in major cities? and how did Stone comment on the getting rid of terms limits by Chavez?
I don't know because people won't let him show his film outside of a couple of theaters on the other side of the country.

But as to shutting down the opposition media, they clearly deserved it. Nobody should be allowed to organize a coup and kidnap a democratically elected official without consequence.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-17, 19:17   Link #8264
Nosauz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
I don't know because people won't let him show his film outside of a couple of theaters on the other side of the country.

But as to shutting down the opposition media, they clearly deserved it. Nobody should be allowed to organize a coup and kidnap a democratically elected official without consequence.
I read at deadline that stone's film tanked because people were just not interested, chavez had theaters playing it for free and still people showing up to watch the movie were extremely limited. Anyway I heard it was just a blaise feeling about the movie because historically stone is loved in the area or at least his movies have been more of a financial success down there.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 04:53   Link #8265
JMvS
Rawrrr!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CH aka Chocaholic Heaven
Age: 31
Regarding Chavez, well, let's say he is on a slippery slope.

Don't mistake me, I'm all for a country's natural resources benefiting it's peoples, and social justice agendas.

But when a huge chunk of those riches is getting devoted to funding an international revolution, populist "gifts" politic and self enrichment of a new nomenklatura, rather than sound investment in the country's infrastructure and future; I smell a classical Marxist bankruptcy coming (not that most democracies are on a better path for that matter).

And when one elected president alter the Constitution to his whim, establish it's own private paramilitary, and threaten his political enemies with mob power and popular trial, sorry but all I can see is legitimacy waning, and coup a natural reaction.
__________________
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 07:18   Link #8266
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Iran Guards warn U.S. of "fallout" over bomb attack

Quote:
(Reuters) - The United States will face "fallout" from a deadly rebel bomb attack in southeast Iran, a senior Revolutionary Guards commander was quoted as saying on Saturday by a semi-official Iranian news agency.

Massoud Jazayeri did not elaborate on what he meant. Iran has accused arch-foe Washington of backing Jundollah, the group that claimed responsibility for Thursday's blasts that killed 28 people and wounded 306, including members of the Guards.

"Jundollah has been supported by America for its terrorist acts in the past ... America will have to await the fallout of such criminal and savage measures," said Jazayeri, deputy head of the dominant ideological wing of Iran's armed forces.

Jundollah, a Sunni Muslim rebel group, said it set off the bombs at a prominent Shi'ite Muslim mosque in the city of Zahedan in retaliation for the Islamic Republic's execution in June of Jundollah leader Abdolmalek Rigi.

Iran says Jundollah has links to Sunni Islamist al Qaeda and in the past has accused Pakistan, Britain and the United States of backing Jundollah to create instability in the southeast of predominantly Shi'ite Iran.

All three countries have denied this, and Jundollah denies having any association with al Qaeda.

Mohammad Hassan Rahimian, an envoy of Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei at the funeral, also blamed Washington for the attack, the official news agency IRNA reported.

U.S. President Barack Obama on Friday condemned the bombing and said those responsible must be brought to account.

"The murder of innocent civilians in their place of worship is an intolerable offense, and those who carried it out must be held accountable," Obama said in a statement.

The United States is embroiled in a stand-off with Iran over its nuclear program, which Tehran insists is for peaceful energy purposes but Washington and other world powers suspect is a cover to develop the means to build atom bombs.

Tehran and Washington severed diplomatic relations shortly after Iran's 1979 Islamic Revolution.

Jundollah, which says it is fighting for the rights of Iran's Sunni Muslim minority, said Rigi's relatives carried out the bombings targeting a Revolutionary Guards gathering.

The bodies of those killed were buried on Saturday in a ceremony in Zahedan attended by tens of thousands of people, according to Iranian state television.

Live footage showed the coffins, shrouded in Iranian flags, being carried on trucks with mourners chanting "Death to America" and demanding punishment of the attackers.

Iran arrested Rigi in February, four months after Jundollah claimed responsibility for a bombing which killed dozens of people, including 15 members of the Guards. That was the deadliest attack in Iran since the 1980s.

Zahedan is the capital of Sistan-Baluchestan province on the border with Sunni Muslim Pakistan. The province is dogged by serious security problems with frequent clashes between Iranian police and drug dealers and bandits.

A senior police official, Ahmadreza Radan, warned that Iran had a right to "pursue rebels inside Pakistan territory ... Iran has limited patience. Instability in Sistan-Baluchestan is rooted abroad (where) there is lack of will to confront rebels."

He said 40 people "who wanted to create instability" in Zahedan had been arrested there since the latest bombing.

Iran is grappling with ethnic and religious tensions in the southeastern province and authorities have responded to attacks by Sunni rebels with a spate of hangings. Human rights groups and the West have condemned the hangings.

Iran rejects allegations by rights groups that it discriminates against ethnic and religious minorities.
Yawn. When is that old man going to wake up his idea and stop blaming US for his own incompetent handling of his state and security?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 07:55   Link #8267
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Regarding Chavez, well, let's say he is on a slippery slope.

Don't mistake me, I'm all for a country's natural resources benefiting it's peoples, and social justice agendas.

But when a huge chunk of those riches is getting devoted to funding an international revolution, populist "gifts" politic and self enrichment of a new nomenklatura, rather than sound investment in the country's infrastructure and future; I smell a classical Marxist bankruptcy coming (not that most democracies are on a better path for that matter).

And when one elected president alter the Constitution to his whim, establish it's own private paramilitary, and threaten his political enemies with mob power and popular trial, sorry but all I can see is legitimacy waning, and coup a natural reaction.
7 words: I'm surprised people still care about him.
__________________
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 08:26   Link #8268
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Iran Guards warn U.S. of "fallout" over bomb attack



Yawn. When is that old man going to wake up his idea and stop blaming US for his own incompetent handling of his state and security?
look at the bright side
i was fully expecting him to declare that Mossad was behind the attack
that... SOME progress i suppose
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 08:55   Link #8269
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrLeanne View Post
7 words: I'm surprised people still care about him.
Well he provide riches to those people who suck up to him, so I am not at all surprised.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 14:06   Link #8270
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Iran Guards warn U.S. of "fallout" over bomb attack



Yawn. When is that old man going to wake up his idea and stop blaming US for his own incompetent handling of his state and security?
Because he's always been at war with Oceania, um, whatever. Classic "external scapegoat" technique.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 14:08   Link #8271
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Because he's always been at war with Oceania, um, whatever. Classic "external scapegoat" technique.
Even if there is an Airstrip One it isn't like it is going to come under his control. So why is he practicing for it anyway.

RIM says Apple claims about BlackBerry unacceptable

Quote:
(Reuters) - Apple Inc appears to be deliberately distorting the issues surrounding the iPhone 4's antenna design by asserting that Research In Motion's BlackBerry has similar reception problems, RIM said.

"Apple's attempt to draw RIM into Apple's self-made debacle is unacceptable," RIM co-Chief Executives Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie said in a statement emailed late Friday.

"Apple's claims about RIM products appear to be deliberate attempts to distort the public's understanding of an antenna design issue and to deflect attention from Apple's difficult situation."

Since the June 24 launch of the iPhone 4, some users have reported drastically reduced signal strength when they held the touch-screen phone a certain way, leading to dropped calls.

In response to the complaints Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said Friday the entire smartphone industry shared such reception problems, naming specifically Research in Motion, Samsung Electronics and HTC Corp.

At a rare, 90-minute press conference, Jobs maintained there were no problems with the iPhone 4's wraparound antenna design and accused the media of trying to "tear down" a company that had grown so successful.

"This is life in the smartphone world. Phones aren't perfect. Most every smartphone we tested behaved like this," Jobs said.

In response of Jobs' comments, RIM's co-chief executives issued a statement defending the BlackBerry's design and criticizing Apple's approach to dealing with the iPhone 4's antenna issue.

"RIM has avoided designs like the one Apple used in the iPhone 4 and instead has used innovative designs which reduce the risk for dropped calls, especially in areas of lower coverage," they said.

"One thing is for certain, RIM's customers don't need to use a case for their BlackBerry smartphone to maintain proper connectivity," the statement said.

RIM, based in Waterloo, Ontario, was referring to Jobs' offer to provide iPhone 4 users with free phone cases to address the reception complaints.

Apple, based in Cupertino, California, could not be reached immediately to comment.
I wish Apple's stock would start falling below 200 again like the start of this year due to this fiasco. It would be another chance to earn some cash for post-graduation.

In another interesting technology News.....

Vibration harvesters designed to replace AA, AAA batteries

Quote:
LONDON – Japan's Brother Industries Ltd., best known as a producer of printers, has developed vibration energy harvesters in form factors to allow them to replace AA and AAA batteries, according to a Tech-On article.

To illustrate the application of vibration-powered electricity generators the example is given of installing them in a remote control for a television or set-top box, where it is possible to use the remote after shaking it to generate power. In such applications the use of energy harvesters in AA and AAA formats can eliminate the need to replace batteries and reduces waste.

Inside the battery-shaped case is an electromagnetic induction generator and a 500-mF capacitor for storage. The output of the AA-size generator is 10 to 180-mW, the report said and versions have been produced that provide power at 1.6- and 3.2-volts, while a AAA unit that generates 2.7-V has also been produced.

The units are only suitable for equipment with low duty cycles, such as remote controls and provide about 100-mW of power, while remote controls typically consume between 40-mW and 100-mW when in use, the report said.

Brother Industries plans to exhibit the AA and AAA energy harvesters at the Techno-Frontier exhibition in Japan July 21 to 23 showing it running a TV remote control, a remote control for lighting and a LED flashlight, the report said.
Spoiler for NSFW Commentary:
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2010-07-18 at 14:58.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 18:31   Link #8272
JMvS
Rawrrr!
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CH aka Chocaholic Heaven
Age: 31
Enlargment of Switzerland

For decades now relations between the EU and Switzerland have been ambivalent, with the liberals euro-enthusiasts minority faced with growing euro-skepticism and sometimes with a patronizing (or realist?) "Why should Switzerland join Europe? When Europe can join Switzerland!", from conservatists and the overall population.

Well now SVP/UDC representatives are proposing a motion preparing for this eventuality. Motion proponent Dominique Baettig foreseeing a 20+ Mio Greater Switzerland (german).

In the meantime, a global survey in the neighboring regions of France, Germany, Austria and Italy show that a majority of the inhabitants in these regions would be in favor of joining Switzerland (german again), emphasizing direct democracy and better economic conditions.

It should be noted that this survey is only the first encompassing regions all around the country, as many of those areas respective pro-independence or autonomy movements already conducted similar surveys.

On the Swiss side, earlier polls (french) during the French Regional Election showed that the Swiss were overall favorable regarding their French neighbors joining the Confederation.

Not only is the Swiss economy sprawling over the borders, but these area have a lot in common culturally with their Swiss neighbors, regarding customs, dialects (if not independent languages) and a defiance for a distant centralized government. More so, during the multiple redrawing the map of Europe saw during these past two centuries, many of those area were at some point part or allies of Switzerland, or at some point asked for membership when faced with the prospect of being tossed in a large country.

(Wiki seems up to date).
__________________

Last edited by JMvS; 2010-07-18 at 19:58.
JMvS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 22:24   Link #8273
Joojoobees
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Regarding Chavez, well, let's say he is on a slippery slope.

Don't mistake me, I'm all for a country's natural resources benefiting it's peoples, and social justice agendas.

But when a huge chunk of those riches is getting devoted to funding an international revolution, populist "gifts" politic and self enrichment of a new nomenklatura, rather than sound investment in the country's infrastructure and future; I smell a classical Marxist bankruptcy coming (not that most democracies are on a better path for that matter).
I was gonna say, "that sounds just like the Bush administration!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
And when one elected president alter the Constitution to his whim, establish it's own private paramilitary, and threaten his political enemies with mob power and popular trial, sorry but all I can see is legitimacy waning, and coup a natural reaction.
Again, exactly like the Bush administration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I read at deadline that stone's film tanked because people were just not interested, chavez had theaters playing it for free and still people showing up to watch the movie were extremely limited. Anyway I heard it was just a blaise feeling about the movie because historically stone is loved in the area or at least his movies have been more of a financial success down there.
I think the reason it isn't that interesting to Venezuelans is because it tells a story they already know well. Stone's real audience isn't Venezuela, it is the US, where very little information is available (about, for example, the role the US government played in the coup and kidnapping of Chavez in 2002). Here in America South of the Border is playing in five (FIVE!) theaters nationwide. There are more theaters within 15 miles showing Inception.

Last edited by Joojoobees; 2010-07-18 at 22:38. Reason: combining comments
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 22:33   Link #8274
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
I was gonna say, "that sounds just like the Bush administration!


Again, exactly like the Bush administration.
Bush serve 2 terms and left office.

Chavez serve his term consistualtion term limit then decide to alter the consitutation.

How is that exactly the same?

i am no fan of bush jr. he made plenty of end run around the court and the constitution but that is a far cry form Chavez who tore his countries constitution into piece when it didn't suit him. and last time i check Bush did not throw judge into prison when the disagree with in application of the law.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 22:57   Link #8275
Joojoobees
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Bush serve 2 terms and left office.

Chavez serve his term consistualtion term limit then decide to alter the consitutation.

How is that exactly the same?
That was the most impressive thing he ever did! I honestly was on pins and needles, because he had not shown the wisdom or integrity that convinced me he would step down.

However, just because he didn't make the same mistake doesn't mean he didn't make a mockery of the Constitution. He single-handedly eliminated the right to habeus corpus. When the law said he needed to get warrants to wire-tap Americans, he decided he wouldn't, thus flagrantly violating Constitutional separation of powers by ignoring both the legislative prerogative to create laws, and the judicial prerogative to review the enforcement of said laws. And his department of "Justice" was a political weapon used to further the electoral ambitions of the Republican Party.

Quote:
i am no fan of bush jr. he made plenty of end run around the court and the constitution but that is a far cry form Chavez who tore his countries constitution into piece when it didn't suit him.
You and I disagree on this.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-18, 23:17   Link #8276
Hage-bai
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
That was the most impressive thing he ever did! I honestly was on pins and needles, because he had not shown the wisdom or integrity that convinced me he would step down.
You should stay away from that Venezuelan coffee and calm down. The legacy hire for President has no less wisdom or integrity than the poster boy for all moonbats: Chubby Chavez. Legacy hire may not be the smartest tool in the shed, but certainly didn't have the same Chubby Chavez mentality on term limits.

Quote:
his department of "Justice" was a political weapon used to further the electoral ambitions of the Republican Party.

DOJ hasn't changed much under the one.... and probably never will.
Hage-bai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 00:47   Link #8277
Joojoobees
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: USA
You can call Chavez fat all you want; he didn't bankrupt my country, and get us involved in two foreign wars at the same time. Bush is the one who funded the world's largest private army (Blackwater), and used our treasury to spread revolution all over the world, while trampling on civil rights here at home.

As an American, I have every right to criticize my government when they pull shit like that. Bush doesn't have to be worse than Chavez for me to say my piece. Besides I take what Jesus said very seriously:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus
Why do you notice the sliver in another's eye, but overlook the timber in your own? How can you say to another, "Let me get the sliver out of your eye," when there is that timber in your own?"
In other words, I, as an American, have not only the right, but the responsibility to look critically at my own government before deciding how every other damned country should be run.

You seem to think both Bush and Obama are doing a poor job running this country; do you trust that they'll do a better job running Venezuela? Maybe the Venezuelans will do a poor job running their own country, but it's their freaking country; why can't we just leave them to it? I know I don't want them telling us how to run this one, even though I have problems with the way it is being handled.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 07:23   Link #8278
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
For decades now relations between the EU and Switzerland have been ambivalent, with the liberals euro-enthusiasts minority faced with growing euro-skepticism and sometimes with a patronizing (or realist?) "Why should Switzerland join Europe? When Europe can join Switzerland!", from conservatists and the overall population.

Well now SVP/UDC representatives are proposing a motion preparing for this eventuality. Motion proponent Dominique Baettig foreseeing a 20+ Mio Greater Switzerland (german).

In the meantime, a global survey in the neighboring regions of France, Germany, Austria and Italy show that a majority of the inhabitants in these regions would be in favor of joining Switzerland (german again), emphasizing direct democracy and better economic conditions.

It should be noted that this survey is only the first encompassing regions all around the country, as many of those areas respective pro-independence or autonomy movements already conducted similar surveys.

On the Swiss side, earlier polls (french) during the French Regional Election showed that the Swiss were overall favorable regarding their French neighbors joining the Confederation.

Not only is the Swiss economy sprawling over the borders, but these area have a lot in common culturally with their Swiss neighbors, regarding customs, dialects (if not independent languages) and a defiance for a distant centralized government. More so, during the multiple redrawing the map of Europe saw during these past two centuries, many of those area were at some point part or allies of Switzerland, or at some point asked for membership when faced with the prospect of being tossed in a large country.

(Wiki seems up to date).
One thing to note. Other than Jura (which can join its Swiss namesake, Jura) and Baden-Wuttermberg (which can join Basel), the other areas listed in the wiki site would likely have to be added as new cantons.

And the Swiss themselves don't want to overstrech themselves, so they're naturally against it. After all, they're fine as they are, and are trying to avoid Federal Germany's East German headache.
__________________
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 13:18   Link #8279
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
That was the most impressive thing he ever did! I honestly was on pins and needles, because he had not shown the wisdom or integrity that convinced me he would step down.
and how exactly was he going to do stay pass his 2nd term? I haven't seen this conspiracy except in the most extreme lefty loon bin boards.

Extreme Rabid Right
Extreme Loony Left
One has its head in the sand
the other has its head in the cloud

Quote:
And his department of "Justice" was a political weapon used to further the electoral ambitions of the Republican Party.
no worse then any previous Administration except maybe tricky dick.

Quote:
You and I disagree on this.
and if i disagree with Chavez and live in Venezuela i would be in jail.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-07-19, 13:18   Link #8280
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 40
China's Three Gorges dam faces major test
Quote:
Beijing (July 19, Mon): China's massive Three Gorges dam is facing a major test of the flood-control function that was one of the key justifications for its construction, as torrential rains swell the rivers that feed it, the country's media said today.

Much of China has been suffering flooding and landslides after weeks of torrential downpours. At least 146 people have died since the start of this month as a result of the rains, and another 40 are missing.

The peak flow of water hitting the giant reservoir on Changjiang, China's longest river, will be higher than that of 1998, when devastating floods killed over 4,000 people and forced some 18 million to relocate, reported the China Daily newspaper.

Engineers have raised the rate at which water is being sluiced out of the reservoir to make room for new waves of floodwaters expected this week. Overall, however, the flood this year is expected to be shorter than that of the 1998 disaster.

The Three Gorges dam was given the go-ahead by the government in 1992, against unusually visible domestic opposition — with environmentalists warning that the resulting reservoir could turn into a cesspool of raw sewage and industrial chemicals trapped behind the dam, along with the feared build-up of silt that could cause problems.

The government justified its decision by citing massive clean-power generation and flood control as reasons for pushing through the mega project. If the dam fails in the latter task, it will add to concerns about the dam's overall cost and impact.

REUTERS
At least 67 dead as Typhoon Conson weakens in China
Quote:
Beijing (July 18, Sun): Typhoon Conson weakened to a tropical storm and headed for Vietnam yesterday after brushing the south-eastern Chinese island of Hainan and pounding the Philippines, leaving at least 67 dead.

The Philippine authorities warned that the toll could rise further, with dozens missing days after Conson struck the main Luzon island, where the capital Manila is located, with a ferocity that caught weather forecasters by surprise last Tuesday. The typhoon destroyed thousands of homes, sank or damaged dozens of boats, uprooted trees that crushed people to death and snapped power lines.

In China, the storm killed at least two people, tore down trees and ripped up electricity pylons when it hit Hainan last Friday evening, local officials said. The authorities on the popular tourist island evacuated around 40,000 people from the most vulnerable areas before the storm barrelled inland.

Several Vietnamese ships in the South China Sea were also wrecked, the Xinhua news agency said.

AFP
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.