AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-08-08, 01:25   Link #8501
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
Wait. 100 million yen just for 1540 bowls ? Something wrong here.
The article actually says 1 million yen.
Old 2010-08-08, 01:42   Link #8502
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Sorry, 1 million yen is correct.

Simple brain seizure typo.
Old 2010-08-08, 01:47   Link #8503
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansalem View Post
The article actually says 1 million yen.
The article is not in english.
Old 2010-08-08, 03:02   Link #8504
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Sorry, 1 million yen is correct.

Simple brain seizure typo.
Each bowl of ramen valued at 650 yen.....that is some hefty price for a bowl of noodles ($6.50).

Or is it normal price over there?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 04:39   Link #8505
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Each bowl of ramen valued at 650 yen.....that is some hefty price for a bowl of noodles ($6.50).

I looked up the exchange rate, and it's worse than that: $7.60. O_O

Quick price lookup for a ramen store in Osaka:
http://www.shitennou.jp/menu/menu.html
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 07:05   Link #8506
killer3000ad

Man dies in world sauna championships

What the hey? So the object of this competition is to withstand rising temperatures in a sauna, sort of like being on slow cook in a crockpot.
Old 2010-08-08, 09:53   Link #8507
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Private browsing modes leak data

Now i don't feel safe knowing all the sites i visited in private mode are leaked.
Old 2010-08-08, 10:04   Link #8508
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Private browsing modes leak data

Now i don't feel safe knowing all the sites i visited in private mode are leaked.
That is why IE has the option of "clear all cookies and data stored by add-ons". Meaning : wipe the entire Temp file and Temporary Internet Files.

It can only increase privacy so much...the site you visit log visitor information too.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 10:11   Link #8509
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Actually I was referring to density, which is mass per unit volume. Muscle tissue has higher density than fat per unit volume, so it sinks.

Where did you get that duck idea from????
someone needs to watch some monty python.
Old 2010-08-08, 10:21   Link #8510
Ansalem
Speaker

Quote:

That sounds pretty normal for a bowl of ramen in my experience. Real ramen is a very large soup and delicious to boot. The instant version pales in comparison.
Old 2010-08-08, 11:15   Link #8511
greyhame6

mosque near ground zero?

first of all i couldn't find any open threads about it so if there is one open already i apologize. secondly, i am well aware how controversial this topic is and yes i am aware of rule# 2.8 but i started the thread regardless because its not completely against the rules... not so long as "care is taken to keep the thread both interesting and polite". i request the help of moderators with this and i sincerely implore all to have a clean discussion.
p.s. votes are not-public so please feel free to vote.
p.p.s. i would love to leave my response right now but i am getting yelled at to get my butt off the computer & help in the kitchen so... I'll be back to post as soon as i can.
Old 2010-08-08, 11:29   Link #8512
Lost Cause

I think that would be like pouring gas on a smoldering fire!
9/11 still burns in a lot of people, just like 12/7/41 did. And while we will learn to forgive, we must never forget!

Ride, Boldly Ride!
Lost Cause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 11:37   Link #8513
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

This was discussed in the news thread a few weeks back if I remember right.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 11:44   Link #8514
justinstrife
Queen Sheryl's Protector

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife Send a message via Skype™ to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Cause View Post
I think that would be like pouring gas on a smoldering fire!
9/11 still burns in a lot of people, just like 12/7/41 did. And while we will learn to forgive, we must never forget!
I agree. I have no problem with having Mosques in America, or even in NYC. But at or near the site of ground zero.. That just screams as a knife in the kidneys to me.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 12:15   Link #8515
greyhame6

i think that its going too fast. not a single decade has passed since that incident so perhaps sometime in the future it would be OK.
as to permanently not building one... consider this: would it be OK to not allow anyone of Japanese origin near pearl harbor now? why must everyone of Islamic faith be ridiculed for the crimes of a few?
as to why it must not be built now... the feelings of those who were hurt takes precedence over those the idea may hurt later on. healing takes priority over insult (although healing while not insulting would be best... i really feel like kicking the one who brought up the whole idea).
after enough time has been given to heal/recover then perhaps, in order to show good faith/sign of unity and outlaw the actions of the terrorists by alienating them from their faith as well as their nations, this may be a good thing.
Old 2010-08-08, 12:20   Link #8516
james0246

Oh for the good old days when people could claim to not want mosques due to the "noise" or the "traffic" (as if Churches or Synagogues produced no noise and had no members). Now it's all about American Muslims trying to institute Shariah law in America...

Whatever legitimate disputes people may have had (not that I actually believe there are necessarily legitimate disputes) toward the building of a mosque near the former site of the WTC has been completely overwritten by extremists who have started to equate all Muslims with being terrorists or at least antagonists (note, I do not claim that all those who reject the mosque at the WTC are as extreme in their views, but, at least within the mediasphere (no matter left or right), it is the extremist, once again, who hold center stage in this discussion).

Personally, I see no reason to deny Muslims their religious freedom. If all religious institutes were forbidden from being in or around the former site of the WTC, then at least all would be equally discriminated against, otherwise separating Islam/Muslims is blatantly discriminatory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhame6 View Post
i think that its going too fast. not a single decade has passed since that incident so perhaps sometime in the future it would be OK.
as to permanently not building one... consider this: would it be OK to not allow anyone of Japanese origin near pearl harbor now? why must everyone of Islamic faith be ridiculed for the crimes of a few?
Pearl Harbor is kind of a bad comparison. Specifically, America was staunch allies with both Germany (or what was left of Germany) and Japan immediately following the war (we became allies due to the "red menace", but that doesn't negate the fact that Pearl Harbor was forgiven or forgotten in the same time period as has followed 9/11). Additionally, Pearl Harbor actually led to a war with a real conclusion (what with Japan being an actual country, and not just an extremist group attacking from various countries). Currently, America is in a perpetual war with unknown forces fighting for a cause we do not even understand anymore. So, all in all, there is no real way to compare Pearl Harbor and the preceding events with 9/11 and its preceding events (Both were national tragedies, but that is as far as they can be compared).

Last edited by james0246; 2010-08-08 at 12:32.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 12:21   Link #8517
Kittenlady

I'm against religions in general, really. Just don't build one at all, it's a waste of resources. Spend the money on something useful, I say.

And I think 9/11 should be irrelevant towards the decision, because I don't think the people completely uninvolved should pay for the crime just because they happen to have the same religion. It was a terrible thing, yes, but I fail to see how clinging to the past and holding a grudge helps at all.
Kittenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 12:30   Link #8518
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:

That's pretty much a good price for properly prepared ramen on the West Coast in the US ($6-$9 USD). Probably depends on how off-the-track the restaurant is. Price does not equal good taste necessarily. Real ramen (as opposed to the "space food in a cup, nuked") has lots of goodies and a broth of the gods.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 12:45   Link #8519
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyhame6 View Post
first of all i couldn't find any open threads about it so if there is one open already i apologize. secondly, i am well aware how controversial this topic is and yes i am aware of rule# 2.8 but i started the thread regardless because its not completely against the rules... not so long as "care is taken to keep the thread both interesting and polite". i request the help of moderators with this and i sincerely implore all to have a clean discussion.
p.s. votes are not-public so please feel free to vote.
p.p.s. i would love to leave my response right now but i am getting yelled at to get my butt off the computer & help in the kitchen so... I'll be back to post as soon as i can.
For those who haven't gone back and read our prior discussion of this issue, I want to remind people that the "mosque at ground zero" thing is someone's talking point.

The group behind this project has basically been pitching it as a muslim-run community center. It does include a mosque, but this is not the central focus of the project - buildings designed primarily as mosques generally don't include swimming pools.

The location (a few blocks from Ground Zero) is likely meant to highlight the contrast between the objectives of the sponsering organization ("building community") and the 9/11 hijackers ("destroying community"). I'm not sure if the group behind the project every really considered what sort of image the project would have outside of New York (meaning: areas where an urban-liberal political outlook isn't the norm).

Personally, I think the people who decided to reduce this issue to "a mosque at ground zero" are trying to stir something up for personal gain and I'm kind of disgusted about that.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-08, 13:39   Link #8520
greyhame6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Personally, I think the people who decided to reduce this issue to "a mosque at ground zero" are trying to stir something up for personal gain and I'm kind of disgusted about that.
my intention of "reducing the issue to a mosque at ground zero" was to discuss the topic and nothing more. i am well aware that it isn't just a mosque but since i don't see anyone taking offense to building swimming pools i glanced over it. don't talk in a roundabout way. tell me what could i possibly gain personally out of this. if u wanna accuse me of something...accuse me.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news