AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-09-20, 06:13   Link #9041
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

FINALLY THE GOLD RUSH IS COMING TO AN END!!!!

Soros: Gold "not safe"

Who is ready for another economic downturn?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 06:20   Link #9042
Liddo-kun
Come on everyone

Send a message via MSN to Liddo-kun
160 deadly cobras escape in China

No fine, and no arrest for the owner.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 09:39   Link #9043
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

Don't you know, Soros is just propagating the liberal myth about gold, he's trying to spin the MSM like all libtards do. /beckism
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 11:29   Link #9044
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Gold prices are so out-of-whack due to currency speculation that my hamster could have predicted that
We're getting another economic downturn because the ones who caused it in the first place still won't take "credit" or responsibility for it, nor will they agree to a set of game rules that discourages future reckless and arrogant behavior.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 11:55   Link #9045
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

[sarcasm]Well, these guys are a minority. And as a minority they are profiting from special protection of minorities which is an essential cornerstone of modern democracies. Have you ever heard of a protection of majorities in a democracy...? jk[/sarcasm]
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 13:49   Link #9046
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:

I don't think the gold market crashing is going to have quite the same effect as the real estate market though. Still, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. It's been an obvious bubble for quite some time.
Old 2010-09-20, 14:24   Link #9047
flying ^

Quote:

I guess the jig is up

and isn't that the guy that helped collapse the british sterling?
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 21:59   Link #9048
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
I guess the jig is up

and isn't that the guy that helped collapse the british sterling?
Currency speculation is like watching psychotic lemmings leap from cliff to cliff. The whole market needs tightening down the way these nimrods twitch. I don't remember if Soros had anything to do with the British Sterling.. I do remember the Hunt brothers imploding the silver market back in the 80s.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 22:18   Link #9049
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Neither do I. But Soros did play a part in the Thai-baht crisis back in 1997. And, for all we know, he might now be tempted to test the yen's ability to rise.

Tokyo's folly will be Soros' gain
Quote:
By William Pesek
For Bloomberg
(Sept 15, Wed)

You may think this is a good time to bet against the yen now that Japan has intervened in the currency market for the first time since 2004. Think again.

George Soros and his ilk should be betting on yen strength for two reasons. One, Japan sold yen unilaterally, not with the help of the Group of Seven. Two, a top official made the mistake of telling speculators which level to attack.

Neither action seems particularly bright today. Without the Federal Reserve and European Central Bank (ECB) on board, yen intervention won't work. Only the fear of concerted actions will keep Soros types of the world from testing the yen's ability to rise. And a government should never, ever tell traders their line-of-defence level.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshito Sengoku brought furrows to many brows in Tokyo by doing just that. Not only did he say that the Finance Ministry considers 82 yen per US dollar the level at which they will fight markets, he went a step further, saying the government is seeking to gain the understanding of the United States and Europe for the intervention.

In other words, not only did the Fed and ECB not help out, but US and European policymakers aren't convinced such steps are needed or will work. It really is open season on yen speculation.

CONTINUED ON BLOOMBERG
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-20, 22:48   Link #9050
AnimeFan188

4 Arrested for 2007 Belgian 'Manga Murder' Case

"The Belgian newspaper Le Soir reported on Monday that four suspects were
arrested in the three-year-old case of body parts found near notes linked to the
Death Note manga. The Belgian Federal Police arrested four men on Friday evening
— three for murder, and one for "failing to provide assistance to a person in danger"
after he allegedly admitted to being at the scene of the crime. According to the
Brussels public prosecutor, two of the murder suspects confessed."

See:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ga-murder-case
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 02:48   Link #9051
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Don't you know, Soros is just propagating the liberal myth about gold, he's trying to spin the MSM like all libtards do. /beckism
Well he is right. I have been watching the gold prices rocket for the past few months (or maybe since last year?) after seeing major currencies fall (Euro and USD).

Many speculators seek valuable materials if currencies fall as a "safe haven" for their investments and quick profits. When trading the stock market, explosive profits DO exist, if only timing is taken into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Gold prices are so out-of-whack due to currency speculation that my hamster could have predicted that
We're getting another economic downturn because the ones who caused it in the first place still won't take "credit" or responsibility for it, nor will they agree to a set of game rules that discourages future reckless and arrogant behavior.
The thing is, people like Buffett and Soros profit from such reckless behaviour despite not being a part of it.

I took a walk around my school a couple of months back doing a survey for my Business Stats project. Not many kids know about Soros or Buffett, but many want to be like him. Incidentally, around 90% of the respondents are unaware of the Eurocrash which happened 2 weeks after I took the survey*.

The reckless behaviour comes from the market actually. In a book I read just now, Made By Hand by Mark Frauenfelder, he iterated that Edward Bernays, the nephew of Sigmund Freud used his uncle's research to market and sell products by appealing to the subconcious. I think it is right to blame ourselves that we allowed our consents to be engineered based on our desires of material, status and reputation.

We are victims to our own desires when we have no self-control. Even autopilot navigational systems have hardcore objectives and algoritms to follow.

* - My survey got scrapped by the lecturer. He says that it included misleading questions like "Do you know who is George Soros? Write a small description of him in not more than 30 words." and "What is your target income by 30 years of age?". Damn baldie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I don't think the gold market crashing is going to have quite the same effect as the real estate market though. Still, I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. It's been an obvious bubble for quite some time.
The bubble actually started building itself up since the 2008 crisis which caused the rapid fall of the USD. It further ballooned itself when the Euro crisis surfaced this year.

Let's take a look at the 10 year chart :

Notice that the spike comes right after mid-April, quite close to when the subprime crisis was beginning to surface. It spiked by almost USD$500 per ounce in less than 2 years, meaning which the bubble grew really big.

Now we have to wait for a panic shortsell for the metal to become "worthless". Considering how much of the metal is bought under credit, and that "credit" pegged to the US financial institution is still based on largely vapour-assets, it would precipitate another economic downturn.

Looks like it is going to follow the Elliot Wave Principle that another downturn would come at the end of this year or early next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Neither do I. But Soros did play a part in the Thai-baht crisis back in 1997. And, for all we know, he might now be tempted to test the yen's ability to rise.

Tokyo's folly will be Soros' gain
Maybe we should follow him?

Come to think of it, he said this :

Quote:
Soros admitted to speculating on the baht in forward markets, losing money in the first round but taking profits later. Soros would not reveal the size of his speculation or the profit he made.
Soros is simply playing a game of siege. The real idiots are those guys in the Thai bank, they are fighting someone with a bigger money supply (not credit, but the literal money supply). The second part is the stupidity of letting the borrowing go unhedged - it encourages an overly-fast of accumulation of credit which can kill an economy if there isn't sufficient physical assets to value against it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-09-21, 05:06   Link #9052
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
The bubble actually started building itself up since the 2008 crisis which caused the rapid fall of the USD. It further ballooned itself when the Euro crisis surfaced this year.

Let's take a look at the 10 year chart :

Notice that the spike comes right after mid-April, quite close to when the subprime crisis was beginning to surface. It spiked by almost USD$500 per ounce in less than 2 years, meaning which the bubble grew really big.

Now we have to wait for a panic shortsell for the metal to become "worthless". Considering how much of the metal is bought under credit, and that "credit" pegged to the US financial institution is still based on largely vapour-assets, it would precipitate another economic downturn.
Actually, if you look at the chart, the bubble really started in 2005. This is where we start seeing to break from the slow, steady rise it had been on previously, to rapid growth. The decline we see in 2008 is certainly linked to the housing market. After that though, we see an even bigger rise. However, this isn't the start of the bubble market, just the acceleration of it's growth after a temporary downturn. Also you have to remember, the housing market lost between 8 and 10 trillion dollars in value in the bubble. This is large than the entire gold market world wide. Further, gold isn't as widely held in large amounts. Few have huge portions of their financial portfolio in gold, so there isn't the same risk on an individual level. Not to say it'd be a good thing. If it burst, it'd send us back into recession. The damage just wouldn't be as bad as the real estate bubble was. Of course if that real estate bubble had never burst I wouldn't be talking about this in such optimistic terms. The real estate bubble was just so huge it set a very high bar for financial disaster.
Old 2010-09-21, 05:29   Link #9053
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Actually, if you look at the chart, the bubble really started in 2005. This is where we start seeing to break from the slow, steady rise it had been on previously, to rapid growth. The decline we see in 2008 is certainly linked to the housing market. After that though, we see an even bigger rise. However, this isn't the start of the bubble market, just the acceleration of it's growth after a temporary downturn. Also you have to remember, the housing market lost between 8 and 10 trillion dollars in value in the bubble. This is large than the entire gold market world wide. Further, gold isn't as widely held in large amounts. Few have huge portions of their financial portfolio in gold, so there isn't the same risk on an individual level. Not to say it'd be a good thing. If it burst, it'd send us back into recession. The damage just wouldn't be as bad as the real estate bubble was. Of course if that real estate bubble had never burst I wouldn't be talking about this in such optimistic terms. The real estate bubble was just so huge it set a very high bar for financial disaster.
2005 was a year where US had alot of credit (or rather, banks were on a lending spree). I am not surprised it started a buying boom for gold for people who "want to safeguard their financial futures". As the sale of gold grew, profiteers joined into the great buy in order to make a profit.

The subprime crisis caused many of the gold holders to sell their shares in fear. When it bottomed out, many buyers came in to buy them, paving way for a short term correction into a bubble.

It is going to bottom out again, but it won't be a crash. It will just be a severe correction. Probably at around $700-800 before it spikes again.

Old 2010-09-21, 09:30   Link #9054
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...r_program.html

Very interesting article about industry sabotage using the Stuxnet worm, multiple Windows/Hardware driver exploits, PLC insider knowledge and intelligence.

Affected systems are 1st stage: Memory sticks, 2nd stage: WinCC industry Panel+PLC configuration software, 3rd stage: the PLC itself.

This is certainly not a single person's job (for this the attack software is way too sophisticated and specialized). It seems to be meant to infiltrate and sabotage the iranian nuclear program.

Last edited by Jinto; 2010-09-21 at 09:51.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 12:40   Link #9055
AnimeFan188

Olmert: Bush offered to absorb 100,000 Palestinian refugees if peace deal reached

"Former prime minister Ehud Olmert said Sunday that the Bush administration
had assured him that the United States would be willing to absorb some 100,000
Palestinian refugees immediately as American citizens, should Israel reach a
permanent settlement with the Palestinian Authority."

See:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national...ached-1.314644
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 16:37   Link #9056
Nosauz

Wow I can't believe I missed the story about 3 Afghani civilians killed in "sport" by our personel over in Afghanistan.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6847172.shtml

heres the only link from a MSM news scource, niether Fox nor MSNBC reported on this. Also the mosque controversy was what deflected attention from this story. Anyway the information surrounding the story is just appalling.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 17:39   Link #9057
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
"Former prime minister Ehud Olmert said Sunday that the Bush administration
had assured him that the United States would be willing to absorb some 100,000
Palestinian refugees immediately as American citizens, should Israel reach a
permanent settlement with the Palestinian Authority."

See:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/national...ached-1.314644
I find it hard to believe Bush would make that offer, and even harder to believe that many Palestinians would choose to come to the US as opposed to a Palestinian state. Maybe if they were Palestinians already living in the US it'd be different, but 100,000 coming and immediately being declared citizens? That seems quite odd. We have procedures for immigrants to become citizens, and the general trend is it takes a while.
Old 2010-09-21, 17:45   Link #9058
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Wow I can't believe I missed the story about 3 Afghani civilians killed in "sport" by our personel over in Afghanistan.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6847172.shtml

heres the only link from a MSM news scource, niether Fox nor MSNBC reported on this. Also the mosque controversy was what deflected attention from this story. Anyway the information surrounding the story is just appalling.
wow... I'm surprised they would actually kill Afghani civilians just for "sport"... There is no way the Defense Attorneys are going to be able to pull them out of the fire that they started...
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-21, 18:47   Link #9059
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
I find it hard to believe Bush would make that offer, and even harder to believe that many Palestinians would choose to come to the US as opposed to a Palestinian state. Maybe if they were Palestinians already living in the US it'd be different, but 100,000 coming and immediately being declared citizens? That seems quite odd. We have procedures for immigrants to become citizens, and the general trend is it takes a while.
most Palestinians would rather move to Djibouti rather then live in a Palestinian state.
Between corrupt and incompetent PLO officials and crazy fundamentalist Hamas terrorists, living in such a country isn't an enticing prospect.

P.S
the US has a yearly lottery that gives citizenship rights to 50,000 people (and their family).
its not that much of a stretch
Old 2010-09-21, 18:54   Link #9060
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

The Republicans strike again: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...=moreheadlines

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news