AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-10-28, 08:23   Link #9561
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
2 girls executed as spies by Somali militant group
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1775779/
At least they didn't stoned them to death.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 09:16   Link #9562
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Age: 30
Send a message via Skype™ to Azumanga Davo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
You have to bear in mind that he's a former KGB agent, so some of his methods may be through the use of force, and it's very likely that he still remembers the Cold War. It's mainly because of politicians with this kind of background that governments don't want to move on and cling to old habits.
The democratic history of not only Russia, but also of other former Soviet-bloc countries are highly dubious as far as clear cut democracy goes. I wonder if this is a culture thing that will go away when all the "former" Communists (former quoted as we just don't know most of the time...) move on and those with experience of proper democracy filter through.
__________________
Azumanga Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 09:42   Link #9563
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Missus View Post
The democratic history of not only Russia, but also of other former Soviet-bloc countries are highly dubious as far as clear cut democracy goes. I wonder if this is a culture thing that will go away when all the "former" Communists (former quoted as we just don't know most of the time...) move on and those with experience of proper democracy filter through.
It'll be difficult and it will probably take centuries for the old communist mentality to be completely wiped away. China is in the same condition right now. No one will be able to erase their history, which is what shaped their mentality into what it is now. Soviet Russia prosperred greately under Stalin's influence, despite all its drawbacks such as the purges, the cold war era, the fall of the Berlin wall which shook much of what the average Soviets believed in, that old system allowed it to be one of the world's leading powers. Now, they're essentially being forced into a new system, and the one guiding them right now is none other than someone who once worked for the very system that is being destroyed.

But I also have to ask, what is proper democracy? The kind of democracy you have in the US, or in Italy, or in the UK, France, Germany, or any other leading democratic nation? I don't think it is. The democracy you see in any of those nations is no different than the voting system Stalin established in his early years. You vote, but by the end of the day, you're voting for a different faction in the same system. Republicans and Democrats all fall under the same category, as do the majority of most parties in the US. Italy changes government every 6 months if we're lucky, and Berlusconi's only managed to stay in power for so long because he's had help from the underground. When you consider all of this, do you really think we have a choice? True democracy means you're allowed to choose who you want to follow, but the system doesn't grant you all the choice you might wish for, especially when you have a second body of voters who're more important than you in the final stages of an election, so how do you know your vote was effective when it's up to somebody else already in power to decide?

And with the way governments work, I have to wonder if we really do have any liberty to make our own choices and if those choices are well informed. We only know what we hear on TV, the news, magazines and all of them are controlled to some extent by the government, so we never really have the knowledge that we need or that one who expect from a real democracy. This inherently limits our ability to choose. The governments of the world, rather than aid us, govern and control us so that their work is easier. They decide the laws for us rather than implement what is in the best interest of the people. As I mentioned before somewhere, US healthcare is a prime example. That is something the people need, but also something the US is reluctant to invest in because there's money to be made from pharmaceuticals. It is something everyone needs, so capitalist mentality dictates that the price for such goods should be high due to high demand. But healthcare isn't a business. It's a human right that is denied us because of this capitalist democracy.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 10:03   Link #9564
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Missus View Post
Vladimir Putin macho? He doesn't show that side often...
<snip>
Well, OK, maybe a little...
I wish my president is as kickass as him. Too bad mine is just a normal ex-spychief.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 11:53   Link #9565
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
But Mr. Marbán does not own either anymore. The bank foreclosed on both properties last April, and he is waiting for the courts to issue the eviction notices. For many Americans facing foreclosure, that would be the end of it. But for Mr. Marbán and thousands of others here, it is just the beginning of their troubles. When the gavel falls on his case, he will still owe the bank more than $140,000. “I will be working for the bank for the rest of my life,” Mr. Marbán said recently, tears welling in his eyes. “I will never own anything — not even a car.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/28/wo..._r=1&ref=world
and i thought our government being in bed with big business was bad.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 12:07   Link #9566
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
China halts oil work in Iran as U.S. ties grow :
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1776034/
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 12:14   Link #9567
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
You have to bear in mind that he's a former KGB agent, so some of his methods may be through the use of force, and it's very likely that he still remembers the Cold War. It's mainly because of politicians with this kind of background that governments don't want to move on and cling to old habits.
Oh, I have no doubts that Putin considers all kinds of unsavory tactics fair game. However, when I talk about NATO adding fuel to the fire by saying they wouldn't expand east then doing so, I'm talking about the way ordinary Russians see it. It's the one thing that makes the "hyped foreign threat" look like it has some truth to it, especially since many Russians probably see NATO as having no purpose other than countering Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I wish my president is as kickass as him.
I wish that more world leaders had moe genderswapped versions as hot as Putin's:

Spoiler for Moe genderswapped Putin (slightly NSFW):
__________________

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 22:14   Link #9568
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
How to influence friends, bribe neighbours and miff the U.S
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1777213/
Or, how to use other ''players'' to increase your own power.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-28, 23:22   Link #9569
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Missus View Post
Vladimir Putin macho? He doesn't show that side often...
Vladimir is the "real deal" (good or bad as that may be). It was embarrassing as hell when alcoholic frat boy Bush, Jr. thought he was even worthy to be in the same room never mind "look Putin in the eye and gauge his soul".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
2 girls executed as spies by Somali militant group
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1775779/
At least they didn't stoned them to death.
I'm sure the militants were very proud of themselves and felt very macho.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 02:59   Link #9570
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
Oh, I have no doubts that Putin considers all kinds of unsavory tactics fair game. However, when I talk about NATO adding fuel to the fire by saying they wouldn't expand east then doing so, I'm talking about the way ordinary Russians see it. It's the one thing that makes the "hyped foreign threat" look like it has some truth to it, especially since many Russians probably see NATO as having no purpose other than countering Russia.
Well, NATO was created in 1949, only four years after the fall of Hitler's Germany. That was at a time where Stalin was still in power and would be so for another 4 years before his death. It was originally created for action within the Soviet block and generally defend the USA's interests. That being said, it can appear that NATO has been a thorn on Russia's side since its inception, and the frequent foreign activity by the USA to counter terrorism for the following decades has rubbed off on the general Russian Society. If anything, Putin is amplifying that resentment to bring the people under his guidence.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 05:01   Link #9571
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
I wish that more world leaders had moe genderswapped versions as hot as Putin's:

<snip>
OH LOL! Is that from the eroge "My Girlfriend is the President"?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 08:27   Link #9572
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
How to influence friends, bribe neighbours and miff the U.S
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1777213/
Or, how to use other ''players'' to increase your own power.
Not surprising really. The Iranians are much smarter than most people in the West want to give them credit for. It's actually somewhat reassuring that a local power is trying (or succeeding) to gain influence in the region rather than leaving it to the outside superpowers who screwed it so far.

Also you rarely see such well written and researched articles about the Middle East in western media (Ulrich Tilgner is one of the few who has a clue).
Too bad that western media still report things under the ignorant assumption that there are clear lines between allies and enemies in the Middle East.
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 13:32   Link #9573
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
Not surprising really. The Iranians are much smarter than most people in the West want to give them credit for. It's actually somewhat reassuring that a local power is trying (or succeeding) to gain influence in the region rather than leaving it to the outside superpowers who screwed it so far.

Also you rarely see such well written and researched articles about the Middle East in western media (Ulrich Tilgner is one of the few who has a clue).
Too bad that western media still report things under the ignorant assumption that there are clear lines between allies and enemies in the Middle East.
Iran is about as much a "Local" power to the middle east as Italy is.
its over 1000 Km away, in the Persian Gulf.

and the "influence" its trying to gain is anything but reassuring, given that its entirely aimed at destabilizing the existing status quo for their own agenda.
Iranian influence in Lebanon has brought the country to the brink of civil war (only a matter of time at this stage)
led to the raise of Hamas to power in Gaza, which has effectively torn the Palestinian collective in two.
and is actively prolonging the Arab-Israeli conflict by continuing to espouse the world view that the Arabs should keep fighting instead of just accepting Israel as a permanent presence in the region.

say what you will about the Western powers and their perception of "good and evil".
at least they try to support stability in the region.
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 14:12   Link #9574
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Koreas exchange gunfire at land border
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...69S1EQ20101029
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 15:50   Link #9575
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
Iran is about as much a "Local" power to the middle east as Italy is.
its over 1000 Km away, in the Persian Gulf.


Being on the other side of the middle east from Israel doesn't suddenly mean it's not in the middle east. The middle east is not determined by proximity to Israel. It's generally more or less centered on the Persian Gulf.

Not going to address the rest because I do not feel like getting into the same discussion I've had with you in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_Durandal View Post
Too bad that western media still report things under the ignorant assumption that there are clear lines between allies and enemies in the Middle East.
There are clear lines. The guys shooting at you are your enemies. The ones selling you oil are your allies.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 15:55   Link #9576
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Koreas exchange gunfire at land border
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...69S1EQ20101029
I forsee the news later this month : Koreas in diplomatic conflict, world leaders worry about kimchi supplies being threatened. *sarcastic*

Despite all the talk the UN members give and such, I believe that nobody in the council actually gives a shit until a NK refugee diaspora or major skirmish starts. By then it is too late : we would have thousands dead by the pound.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 16:02   Link #9577
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post


Being on the other side of the middle east from Israel doesn't suddenly mean it's not in the middle east. The middle east is not determined by proximity to Israel. It's generally more or less centered on the Persian Gulf.
its also 1000 Km from Lebanon and Gaza.
you know, the two places I (and the news story) mention by name as places Iran is extending its influence to.
__________________
bladeofdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 16:35   Link #9578
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
its also 1000 Km from Lebanon and Gaza.
you know, the two places I (and the news story) mention by name as places Iran is extending its influence to.

You claimed it wasn't a local power in the middle east. It is. I don't even see why your contesting this point except to try to paint Iran as an outside power coming in. 1000km is pretty damn local. You might not like Iranian influence, and you can probably make an argument about it being destabilizing. However, it's still regional.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 16:43   Link #9579
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
Iran is about as much a "Local" power to the middle east as Italy is.
its over 1000 Km away, in the Persian Gulf.

and the "influence" its trying to gain is anything but reassuring, given that its entirely aimed at destabilizing the existing status quo for their own agenda.
Iranian influence in Lebanon has brought the country to the brink of civil war (only a matter of time at this stage)
led to the raise of Hamas to power in Gaza, which has effectively torn the Palestinian collective in two.
Gross exaggeration. It's part of the same sphere of influence, and shares borders with Iraq and Turkey, two of the heavyweights in the region. Not to mention Saudi Arabia being on the other side of that Persian Gulf.

Obviously they're not doing it for selfless reasons. Nobody does.

Iran had no influence whatsoever in the Lebanon conflict. That the Hezbollah receives some funding from Iran is undeniable, but their agenda is entirely their own and aimed at inter-lebanese matters. Any other perception is just ignorance about Lebanese realities. It's not in the Iranian's regime interest either as the Hezbollah has closer ties to the reformists than to them.
Funny you'd mention the Hamas, as originally it was supported by Israel for exactly that purpose: splitting the Palestinians in a faction rival from the Fatah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
say what you will about the Western powers and their perception of "good and evil".
at least they try to support stability in the region.
A stability they broke in the first place by applying a "divide and conquer" strategy back in the interwar and decolonisation period, and then more recently supporting one side against the others depending on where their interest lay. Not to mention invading Iraq, the main rival of Iran in the region! In contrast how many wars did Iran start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
There are clear lines. The guys shooting at you are your enemies. The ones selling you oil are your allies.
Except the guy selling you oil could well be shooting at you tomorrow, and vice-versa. Or he could be selling you oil while funding the guy shooting at you. Or any possible combination from the above.

Lebanon is a pretty good example of that. During the civil war there were more muslims killed by muslims than any others, and the two shia militias, Hamal and Hezbollah, happily slaughtered each other with Syria's blessing. Now they're the closest allies to the Christian faction led by Michel Aoun, once Syria's No1 enemy!
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-29, 17:23   Link #9580
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I forsee the news later this month : Koreas in diplomatic conflict, world leaders worry about kimchi supplies being threatened. *sarcastic*

Despite all the talk the UN members give and such, I believe that nobody in the council actually gives a shit until a NK refugee diaspora or major skirmish starts. By then it is too late : we would have thousands dead by the pound.
NOOOOOOOOOO! Without Kimchi how will the Korean people survive!

But yeah nothing special, these types of new is something we shouldn't even be surprised.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.