AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-12-23, 00:59   Link #10861
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
My point still stands, that the argument about Republicans being against Obama just because he's either 1) Black, or 2) a Democrat, is laughable and ignorant.
Republicans weren't afraid of smearing Bill Clinton. You'd be foolish to think that the Tea Party movement doesn't shelter many white supremacist movements. The tea party provides a great cover for these guys. Maybe you should check out the people on this forum.

It's depressing, rather than laughable or ignorant. Maintaining the opposite is just willful naivety on your part.

Indeed, you'd be naive to think that the small-government party doesn't win elections by ridiculing, lying (Death panels anyone?) and blocking Democratic legislation. By cockblocking the ability of a government to run, you effectively destroy its credibility.
Since you're the anti-establishment party? Can you say auto-win?
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 01:07   Link #10862
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Republicans weren't afraid of smearing Bill Clinton. You'd be foolish to think that the Tea Party movement doesn't shelter many white supremacist movements. The tea party provides a great cover for these guys. Maybe you should check out the people on this forum.
I'd like to see credible evidence to support that kind of claim.

I think it only curteous if I add that this does really concern me greatly.
I'm actually interested in knowing if there is any hard evidence of this.
I want to know!
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 01:29   Link #10863
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
word on the internets is that Ron Paul accepted political donations from Stormfront.

flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 01:39   Link #10864
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
word on the internets is that Ron Paul accepted political donations from Stormfront.
If I was running for president I'd gladly accept donations from Stormfront. And the NAACP. And any other organization that wants to donate no matter how conflicting their political stances are. As Stephen Colbert once said, "Why can't their common ground be my bank account?"
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 01:44   Link #10865
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
I've seen that also.
I'm very careful when labelling people based on who support them without their consent.

Take Barack Obama for example.
He was supported by the Black Panthers and even put them on his campaign website.



That's why I want actual evidence from people when they make these kinds of remarks.
It's not that I don't believe it.
It could very well be true, but I'd like to see something better than the [sly as a foxNews laden] video I linked to.
The point of that link is to show that guilt-by-association works both ways and is counterproductive.
Obama is NOT a Black Panther, no matter how much that group may like, support, or contribute to his campaign.
Same with Lewis Farrakahn's Nation of Islam's support for Obama.
That doesn't make Obama a muslin (like some idiots claim) or a member of the Nation of Islam.
I really wish people would take Jon Stewart's words in his speech at the rally to heart when he said:

Quote:
“I can’t control what people think this was. I can only tell you my intentions. This was not a rally to ridicule people of faith or people of activism or to look down our noses at the heartland or passionate argument or to suggest that times are not difficult and that we have nothing to fear. They are and we do. But we live now in hard times, not end times. And we can have animus and not be enemies.

But unfortunately one of our main tools in delineating the two broke. The country’s 24 hour political pundit perpetual panic conflictinator did not cause our problems but its existence makes solving them that much harder. The press can hold its magnifying up to our problems bringing them into focus, illuminating issues heretofore unseen or they can use that magnifying glass to light ants on fire and then perhaps host a week of shows on the sudden, unexpected dangerous flaming ant epidemic.

If we amplify everything we hear nothing. There are terrorists and racists and Stalinists and theocrats but those are titles that must be earned. You must have the resume. Not being able to distinguish between real racists and Tea Partiers or real bigots and Juan Williams and Rick Sanchez is an insult, not only to those people but to the racists themselves who have put in the exhausting effort it takes to hate--just as the inability to distinguish terrorists from Muslims makes us less safe not more. The press is our immune system. If we overreact to everything we actually get sicker--and perhaps eczema.
I agree with Jon, and this is what sickens me about both the left and right in the United States.
We do really need some sanity.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 05:22   Link #10866
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
I think I'd be for a progressive Republican Party of the TR days.

Think...I'd have to see what a modern era version would stand for.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 05:53   Link #10867
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
China speeds plans to launch aircraft carrier
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6BM0Y920101223
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 06:40   Link #10868
Frenchie
Shougi Génération
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Frenchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan0083 View Post
[...]
That would be great if that group had anything to do with the actual Black Panthers. The group you're referring to is the 'New' black panther party and they were labeled as illegitimateby the actual Black panther party.

Spoiler for Extract:


Also, yes, it was removed because it was a hateful endorsement and the campaign disassociated themselves from the new movement.

Quote:
Obama Campaign Removes New Black Panther Party Endorsement From Web Site

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Barack Obama’s campaign has removed an endorsement by the New Black Panther Party from its Web site, one day after the Illinois senator delivered a speech calling for improved race relations in America.

“The page in question has been removed from our campaign Web site,” Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor told FOXNews.com after inquiries about the endorsement. “It’s our policy with any content generated by a group that advocates violence.”
The Tea Party didn't seek to disassociate from anyone. They were a very broad group with lots of different beliefs mixed in, including white supremacists, and they never sought to reject their endorsement.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 06:52   Link #10869
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
That might get more funding for the JMSDF, and their "large 'helicopter destroyers'". Defense could be "needed" if China gets aggressive in the region.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 11:28   Link #10870
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Anyway here's a new supercar....from Russia!

Russian supercar challenges Ferrari and Lamborghini


My God, look at that beauty! Oh how i wish i would like to drive one of those.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 12:16   Link #10871
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Anyway here's a new supercar....from Russia!

Russian supercar challenges Ferrari and Lamborghini


My God, look at that beauty! Oh how i wish i would like to drive one of those.
Quote:
"We can get up to 100km/h in 3.5 seconds," he boasts loudly.

"You want 300 kilometres an hour? No problem. How about 340 kilometres?"
I suppose he is going to name one of his cars красная комета.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 12:21   Link #10872
GundamFan0083
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
That would be great if that group had anything to do with the actual Black Panthers. The group you're referring to is the 'New' black panther party and they were labeled as illegitimateby the actual Black panther party.



Also, yes, it was removed because it was a hateful endorsement and the campaign disassociated themselves from the new movement.



The Tea Party didn't seek to disassociate from anyone. They were a very broad group with lots of different beliefs mixed in, including white supremacists, and they never sought to reject their endorsement.
That definitely is a problem because the Tea Party is a very large organization that is (according to USAToday) is growing and fast.

I know members of this movement personally and I've attended some of their rallies here in Colorado, but I've didn't see any actual racists.
I'm not saying that they're aren't any, because knowing how groups like Stormfront try to latch onto any movement they think will help their cause, I have no doubt they're trying to infiltrate the Tea Party.

I sincerely hope the movement takes steps to ensure that groups like Stormfront get weeded out.
The Taxed Enough Already movement has nothing to do with Nationalist Socialism (or any socialism for that matter), and that is what Stormfront (and groups like it) are pushing for.

This situation is very troublesome to me as not only a Liberal, but as a Hebrew and a person of mixed racial blood.
__________________
GundamFan0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 13:34   Link #10873
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Something that will affect most of us here: A Tokyo anti-otaku law was passed (this is a link to an editorial on it, which has a few minor NSFW images, but I feel it best sums up the situation).

Take note that part of this "objectionable material" clause covers gays relationships; this means no yaoi or yuri, for fans of those. Sure, there will probably be doujins and underground stuff being released, but officially, your major favorite series can't show them anymore.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 14:04   Link #10874
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Something that will affect most of us here: A Tokyo anti-otaku law was passed (this is a link to an editorial on it, which has a few minor NSFW images, but I feel it best sums up the situation).

Take note that part of this "objectionable material" clause covers gays relationships; this means no yaoi or yuri, for fans of those. Sure, there will probably be doujins and underground stuff being released, but officially, your major favorite series can't show them anymore.
this is kinda old and has already been talk about quite a bit in another thread.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 14:11   Link #10875
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Apologies if it was posted elsewhere; I didn't see it, but then again, I don't read every thread. Some, like me, might have heard of it until now.

I will post this as an amendment/clarification, even if it's been posted elsewhere, just to correct myself: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/brain-diving/2010-12-21

Seems like it's not an outright ban as I thought, but more of a reclassification of stuff to 18+. While not that bad on the surface, it would have chilling effects on the industry.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 14:14   Link #10876
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
It doesn't mean they won't exist, and anyway, the yuri with actual yuri in it is already 18+. So it's not like I'll be adversely affected, anyway.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 16:47   Link #10877
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Apologies if it was posted elsewhere; I didn't see it, but then again, I don't read every thread. Some, like me, might have heard of it until now.

I will post this as an amendment/clarification, even if it's been posted elsewhere, just to correct myself: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/brain-diving/2010-12-21

Seems like it's not an outright ban as I thought, but more of a reclassification of stuff to 18+. While not that bad on the surface, it would have chilling effects on the industry.
Thread is General Anime...
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=99700&page=26

Mostly the complaints are:
1) its horribly written, vague and arm-waving in ways that oppressive witchhunters love.
2) its sponsored by Ishihara, governor of Tokyo, who's vocally anti-anime/manga, an ultranationalist, and verified hypocrite because he's an author of novels that portray underage-sex-rape-murder-now-with-schoolgirls
3) The Tokyo Anime Fair was canceled over it because so many publishers pulled out in protest.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 19:58   Link #10878
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Okay let us try this one:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40796163/
"Interior chief reverses 2003 policy against protections not approved by Congress"

Good thing or bad thing?

On the one hand you have lands able to be protected as Wild Lands, but on the other hand you have taken democratic control out of the system and handed it over to a bureaucracy instead...with no known checks or balances.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 21:30   Link #10879
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Thread is General Anime...
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...=99700&page=26

Mostly the complaints are:
1) its horribly written, vague and arm-waving in ways that oppressive witchhunters love.
I assume you're refering to the legislation, which actually, is how legislation in Tokyo has been like since Ishihara.

Quote:
2) its sponsored by Ishihara, governor of Tokyo, who's vocally anti-anime/manga, an ultranationalist, and verified hypocrite because he's an author of novels that portray underage-sex-rape-murder-now-with-schoolgirl
Really? Can we have the titles of the books?

Quote:
3) The Tokyo Anime Fair was canceled over it because so many publishers pulled out in protest.
No, actually, it's the Japanese central government in Nagatacho (as opposed to the metropolitan government in Shinjuku) which refused to fund it this year as bureaucrats were practically running EVERYTHING.
__________________
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-23, 23:42   Link #10880
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Anarchists claim responsibility for Rome bombs
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6BM1DP20101223

U.N. recognizes Ouattara as Ivory Coast's president
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...6BL1LF20101223
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.