AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-03-02, 17:21   Link #12261
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
the new iPad is thinner... and so is Steve Jobs!

flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 00:44   Link #12262
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Gunman kills two U.S. airmen at Frankfurt airport
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7214L020110302
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 04:31   Link #12263
sneaker
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Three dutch soldiers taken prisoners in Libya after failed rescue mission.
http://www.telegraaf.nl/binnenland/9...in_Libi__.html
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 07:05   Link #12264
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Gaddafi strikes oil areas, Arabs weigh peace plan
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...71G0A620110303
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 07:39   Link #12265
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Gaddafi strikes oil areas, Arabs weigh peace plan
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...71G0A620110303
Remember that if they are not fighting Israel, they would be fighting each other anyway. Bunch of retards doing a wangshow competition for 40 years at the expense of the rest of the world.

High time to switch out of oil reliance now.

Edit : This is funny.

Gaddafi parodies go viral

Quote:
Libya's besieged leader Muammar Gaddafi is a big hit on the Internet as his rambling speeches have created endless fodder for spoofs.
The videos can be viewed on the Just For Laughs thread.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-03-03 at 08:45.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 13:29   Link #12266
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
^
^
The best among them is Zenga Zenga.
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 17:40   Link #12267
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
finally...
Senate GOP in Wisconsin Orders Police to Take AWOL Dems Into Custody

Quote:
Republicans in the Wisconsin Senate passed a resolution Thursday calling for police to take 14 Democrats into custody for contempt after they fled to Illinois to avoid voting on a bill that strip public sector unions of nearly all their collective bargaining rights.

The vote taken Thursday comes two weeks after the Democrats left, effectively delaying the vote on Gov. Scott Walker's proposal.

Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald said the action is legally different from an arrest, but "definitely a shift from asking them politely."

The resolution says the absent Democrats are determined to be guilty of contempt and disorderly content. It gives the sergeant at arms the authority to take any and all steps, with or without force and assistance from police, to bring the senators back.
see this clip?



...would be sweet if the other 12 get arrested with cameras rolling COPS-style!
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 18:27   Link #12268
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
finally...
Senate GOP in Wisconsin Orders Police to Take AWOL Dems Into Custody



see this clip?



...would be sweet if the other 12 get arrested with cameras rolling COPS-style!
"Legally different from an arrest." Yeah, I'm not seeing how you can call that anything other than an arrest. What are they going to do, force them to vote at gunpoint? That will be a great day for democracy in the US.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 18:48   Link #12269
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
"Legally different from an arrest." Yeah, I'm not seeing how you can call that anything other than an arrest. What are they going to do, force them to vote at gunpoint? That will be a great day for democracy in the US.
dunno how it works in other states, but check this out...

The Sergeant at Arms of the Wisconsin State Senate is selected by the Majority Caucus and then elected by the full Senate every two years. Besides ceremonial duties as outlined in the Senate Rules, the Sergeant at Arms executes all orders of the Senate connected with the police and good order of the body. The Sergeant at Arms supervises a large staff of assistants (Senate Messengers) and performs all other duties as indicated by the rules of the Senate.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 18:48   Link #12270
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
Sort of like dragging someone back to court if they skip out on it. They actually don't have to vote, they just have to be present. Because they aren't their at all, the State Senate cannot hold a quorum and thus cannot do their job. A job they were elected to do.

I seem to recall something like this happening in Texas within the last 10 years.

Besides, if they want to fight this thing, that isn't the way to do it. That's what the people are for...and elections. But each state has different laws. In California, if the people were against it enough, they would write a Proposition for the next election (or hold a special election if there was enough money involved), or Recall the governor like we did with Grey Davis.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 19:22   Link #12271
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
dunno how it works in other states, but check this out...

The Sergeant at Arms of the Wisconsin State Senate is selected by the Majority Caucus and then elected by the full Senate every two years. Besides ceremonial duties as outlined in the Senate Rules, the Sergeant at Arms executes all orders of the Senate connected with the police and good order of the body. The Sergeant at Arms supervises a large staff of assistants (Senate Messengers) and performs all other duties as indicated by the rules of the Senate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Sort of like dragging someone back to court if they skip out on it. They actually don't have to vote, they just have to be present. Because they aren't their at all, the State Senate cannot hold a quorum and thus cannot do their job. A job they were elected to do.

I seem to recall something like this happening in Texas within the last 10 years.

Besides, if they want to fight this thing, that isn't the way to do it. That's what the people are for...and elections. But each state has different laws. In California, if the people were against it enough, they would write a Proposition for the next election (or hold a special election if there was enough money involved), or Recall the governor like we did with Grey Davis.
The problem is that action is explicitly illegal under Wisconsin law. The state constitution forbids arresting serving state representatives for matters like this. That's why they're playing semantics and saying "well, it's not really an arrest" as if calling it something else makes it not an arrest and thus legal.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 22:05   Link #12272
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
I thought about putting this in the Japan Culture or the "Learning Japanese" thread but its somewhat related to global book publishing in general:

Kodansha International to Close its Doors in April

Quote:
At a Feb. 23 press conference, incoming President Yoshinobu Noma said he would focus on digital publishing and overseas markets. To that end, he announced that Kodansha and Dai Nippon Printing had acquired Vertical Inc., a New York-based publisher of contemporary Japanese books, mainly popular and graphic novels.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 23:45   Link #12273
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Venezuela's Chavez talks up Libya peace plan
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7224IY20110304
Quote:
Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez pushed a vague peace plan for Libya on Thursday, saying his friend Muammar Gaddafi supported foreign mediation and accusing the West of eyeing the North African nation's oil.
Not really surpising from Chavez...
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-03, 23:47   Link #12274
Asuras
Dictadere~!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the front lines, fighting for inderpendence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
the new iPad is thinner... and so is Steve Jobs!
Hey man that's not cool...
__________________
Asuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 00:39   Link #12275
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
The problem is that action is explicitly illegal under Wisconsin law. The state constitution forbids arresting serving state representatives for matters like this. That's why they're playing semantics and saying "well, it's not really an arrest" as if calling it something else makes it not an arrest and thus legal.
Taking into custody doesn't mean arrest, so.....yeah.

But nonetheless, it is like a little bastard dictator trying to get his way around with a "supposed democracy". I would rather one of the dems take a revolver loaded with cyanide/tetradioxin tipped rounds and unload that into him.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 04:47   Link #12276
Ithekro
Warning
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 37
We will see. While the law will be the law, the people can change things via their own power of voting. Question is, do they actually want this? They might, at least in enough numbers that the State Senate and Governor won't be changed out the next election so the law can be repealed.

Only time will tell on that one.

From my expericances though, Unions of today are not helpful for the workers, but only for the Union bosses and maybe the lawyers. Most seems to fuction as a company in a company were the Union is in it for the money from its dues and nothing else.

From my experiance only.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai! Signature by ganbaru
Rena's Saimoe Take Home List 2014: Dairenji Suzuka.Misawa Maho.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2011-03-04 at 05:01.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 04:56   Link #12277
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
one only has to look @ sorry places like Detroit to see what happens when you let unions have a bit too much power
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 07:23   Link #12278
don_Durandal
Zetsubou gunsou
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by flying ^ View Post
one only has to look @ sorry places like Detroit to see what happens when you let unions have a bit too much power
And one look at the XIXth century lets you see what happens to the workforce when corporations have all powers and unions are inexistent.

Surely there must be a middleground between legal mafia and quasi-slavery exploitation. (and no, I'm not calling you Shirley)
don_Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 12:53   Link #12279
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Payrolls jump, jobless rate near 2-year low
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...71R3OO20110304
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-04, 13:29   Link #12280
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
We will see. While the law will be the law, the people can change things via their own power of voting. Question is, do they actually want this? They might, at least in enough numbers that the State Senate and Governor won't be changed out the next election so the law can be repealed.

Only time will tell on that one.

From my expericances though, Unions of today are not helpful for the workers, but only for the Union bosses and maybe the lawyers. Most seems to fuction as a company in a company were the Union is in it for the money from its dues and nothing else.

From my experiance only.
Corporate versus union has been a pendulum... when unions were first created they were desperately needed tools to fight what was basically "the worst of feudalism" in corporate and plutocrat tyranny. Over the decades, union leaders tended to head towards corruption themselves. In the course of trying to be "constructive" with the corporate plutocrats, the union leaders often ended up playing "Animal Farm" (pigs==humans) towards their own members. I was pretty anti-union myself in the 90s as mostly what they did was interfere with an individual's attempts to do the best work they could. I was a fan of co-ops and guilds for benefits (company benefits are just another version of the "company town -> you're pwned, dude") and guilds for quality/working/product standards.

Now, the corporations and plutocrats are trying to replay the 1890s and 1920s in spades -- they appear just fine with vaporizing the middle class while chanting their mantra of 'maximize my profit no matter what the cost to others or to the community that lets me thrive'. They appear to drool at the prospect of a new feudalism where 99% of the country struggles and fails, fights each other while they laugh and loot. They are co-opting the government to achieve these ends by buying out all the politicians thanks to our equivalency of corporate artifacts with people and our interesting notion that $$$==free-speech. Governor Walker is a posterchild for a tool of the Koch Brothers and their ilk.

So Unions may have a purpose again.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.