AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2009-01-02, 22:09   Link #1241
TinyRedLeaf
. . .
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Old habits die hard but some things do change.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/01/01...l?eref=edition
I find it hard to blame both the airline and the other passengers when campaigns such as "If you see something, say something" are running in the United States. In this case, it turned out to be a false alarm, but what if it wasn't? Then, ironically, the other passengers would have been hailed as proactive heroes instead.

I did dislike this paranoia when I visited the US last October. Every time I passed through customs or entered a public building, I was made to feel like a criminal, having to remove my belt, open my bags and empty my pockets for inspection. At the New Jersey airport, I even had to remove my shoes. It was a tedious pain, and also a little bit demeaning. I also found custom officials and policemen generally rude and unhelpful. But then again, every one had to pass through the same inspection process, regardless of nationality, so I didn't feel singled-out. I can't speak for Arab-looking passengers though — perhaps they do still feel like second-class citizens because of stereotypical profiling.

This is reality after 9/11. I know I'd sound bigoted for saying this, but I do believe that Muslims have to accept some responsibility for the increased scrutiny on them. Yes, the attention is unfair and unkind, but it's not exactly undeserved, you know?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 22:18   Link #1242
FateAnomaly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Ya, but after they are cleared, they should be allowed to board the next flight.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-02, 23:22   Link #1243
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I find it hard to blame both the airline and the other passengers when campaigns such as "If you see something, say something" are running in the United States. In this case, it turned out to be a false alarm, but what if it wasn't? Then, ironically, the other passengers would have been hailed as proactive heroes instead.

I did dislike this paranoia when I visited the US last October. Every time I passed through customs or entered a public building, I was made to feel like a criminal, having to remove my belt, open my bags and empty my pockets for inspection. At the New Jersey airport, I even had to remove my shoes. It was a tedious pain, and also a little bit demeaning. I also found custom officials and policemen generally rude and unhelpful. But then again, every one had to pass through the same inspection process, regardless of nationality, so I didn't feel singled-out. I can't speak for Arab-looking passengers though — perhaps they do still feel like second-class citizens because of stereotypical profiling.
Ugh don't remind me.... Atlanta airport is the worst. I almost wanted to shove the fingerprint and camera device up the immigrations ass, but then I wouldn't be allowed in the country. >.>
New York was totally ruined for me, simply because every single tourist trap = airport security measures (or worse, see statue of liberty)
The taking off shoes things, i heard about from those who went to america before me, so i was somewhat 'prepared'.
I was meant to be on holiday, but just to enter the country just filled me with dread and then some.
I'm curious on the recent stats for tourism, cause i find it very hard to wanna visit there again as a visitor.

Ironically though, DC had less security and was generally more chilled than NY, i actually had a good time in congress, house of reps, the library and passing the white house etc. The general atmosphere of the place was lovely too compared to NY. London got hit as well, but NY seems to be in this state of paranoia where flags are clung to and posted in every available space with posters and words of.
"We must never forget."
(Indeed, but please move on too.)
The locals were awesome, but sure enough, someone, somewhere would bring 9/11 into it and i'd just mentally facepalm.
It just felt suffocating.
Quote:
This is reality after 9/11. I know I'd sound bigoted for saying this, but I do believe that Muslims have to accept some responsibility for the increased scrutiny on them. Yes, the attention is unfair and unkind, but it's not exactly undeserved, you know?
As for the stereotype profiling, it happens to all. Blacks have had it, still have it even now, I'm sure mexicans have had it in the US and now in present of 9/11 and extreme islamic groups, it's muslims. It isn't something people should take personally, but it is a hard and bitter pill to swallow when there's amnosity from so many simple because you happen to be of a similar race as a few inidividuals who have cause misery upon the majority.
What bothers me more is the 'reinforcement' of some of the simple, 1braincell minds of some of the passengers on the plane that may have been around.
'I was on that plane which had a muslim family taken off. See, can't be trusted.'
And so on.
I hope other airlines at least will allow wrongly accused passengers to fly again, but AirTran were in the wrong there.

On a side note, a certain Carlos Mencia snippet about media racial profiling now comes to mind. *snickers*
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia

Last edited by Mystique; 2009-01-02 at 23:32.
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 01:33   Link #1244
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Two year and half ago I had to pass in transit to the US, stangerly the security and the security guy was not that bad. In fact, the worse custom officers than I have encounter was those at Montréal airport.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 05:02   Link #1245
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Two year and half ago I had to pass in transit to the US, stangerly the security and the security guy was not that bad. In fact, the worse custom officers than I have encounter was those at Montréal airport.
A rude Canadian officer?
Canadians are no longer nice!
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 05:52   Link #1246
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
A rude Canadian officer?
Canadians are no longer nice!
Only in Quebec I think. I went to BC and Ontario, all very friendly people. Quebec... I dunno.
__________________
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 06:31   Link #1247
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Only in Quebec I think. I went to BC and Ontario, all very friendly people. Quebec... I dunno.
LOL. The last time that I went through NY's JFK airport was okay also, I thought, but getting there a few hours ahead helped a lot, IMHO. The TSA agent was quite professional and understanding... and didn't knock me silly after I asked for her number. Beijing's, I didn't like so much the last time that I went through Customs/Immigration, but there was a huge crowd of tourists all running around like headless chickens.
__________________
"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?" -- Misc.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 06:42   Link #1248
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
A rude Canadian officer?
Canadians are no longer nice!
It was at the american custom area ( because I was transiting to a US destination.) But from what others coworked said to me is quite know for his unsympathic custom officers.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 10:40   Link #1249
ZephyrLeanne
On a sabbatical
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Wellington, NZ
Age: 33
Quote:
Beijing's, I didn't like so much the last time that I went through Customs/Immigration, but there was a huge crowd of tourists all running around like headless chickens.
Their tone and curling of tongue is really difficult to understand, esp. when I speak Chinese in the Nanyang/Flat way.
__________________
ZephyrLeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 13:08   Link #1250
TUndead
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Still, expensive costs. If they don't have free (or more free) American aid, there is more chnace they'll be forced to make a peace agreement with Palestine.
look i had to comment not only on this but on the war itself. I live in israel and some of the things im hearing(not only here) is not true.

1st the reason for the war... think u live in a city and everyday for 8-7 years ppl from a near city would lunch rocks at you... yea not adv rocks but they still do dmg and it has been going on for 8 years.

there is another reason we have a solider called Gilad shalit who has been kidnap a few years back and we think he is alive and we want him back.

of course there are more side reasons but im not going to bore you with this.
anyway we really hope that we can have peace with them but we r not the prob we asked them again and again to stop lunching rocks and this atk is a last resort
and we would stop atking if we knew that they wont lunch rocks right after we stop atking them so... there you go
TUndead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 14:48   Link #1251
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
"He started it."
"No, he started it."
"Did not."
"Did too."...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 14:59   Link #1252
TUndead
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
im giving u facts
TUndead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 15:54   Link #1253
Theowne
耳をすませば
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
This is reality after 9/11. I know I'd sound bigoted for saying this, but I do believe that Muslims have to accept some responsibility for the increased scrutiny on them. Yes, the attention is unfair and unkind, but it's not exactly undeserved, you know?
That is a strange thing to say. It is one thing to say, "The profiling is unfortunate, but we can understand why it exists", but another to say that Muslims have to accept individual responsibility. I don't see why this family has to accept responsibility for the events of 9/11. There are millions of Muslims in the world and the majority are not terrorists.

Like I said before, I think profiling is an unfortunate but expected phenomenon, but I don't think that individual Muslims "deserve" it in the least.
__________________

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 15:56   Link #1254
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimatheKat View Post
Only in Quebec I think. I went to BC and Ontario, all very friendly people. Quebec... I dunno.
Everytime I've ever been to Quebec they've been like the politest people on the planet wherever I go. Then again I come from a French Canadian family so that might have something to do with it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 23:21   Link #1255
Cursing Strike
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
idk if this is old http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news...rome-PSAS.html
Cursing Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-03, 23:51   Link #1256
LynnieS
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: China
Cue: "Mission Impossible" theme...

South Korean woman defeats JP airport fingerprinting

Quote:
A South Korean woman entered Japan on a fake passport in April 2008 by slipping through a state-of-the-art biometric immigration control system using special tape on her fingers to alter her fingerprints, it was learned Wednesday.
__________________
"If ignorance is bliss, then why aren't more people happy?" -- Misc.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 00:29   Link #1257
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS View Post
Cue: "Mission Impossible" theme...

South Korean woman defeats JP airport fingerprinting
As much as i applaud her (and want to buy some of that tape) xD
She's just made it worse for the rest of us. Bad enough they keep our biometric data for life (yes because terrorists cannot be japanese natives who are converted into the extremist ideology)
- but since they're now forced to re think/check their system and they panic easily, i sense more 'fun' for gaijin entering japan in years to come...
__________________

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 00:34   Link #1258
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUndead View Post
im giving u facts
Yes, but you're leaving out *their* facts ... which is what Ann Minh was on about. Both sides have perfectly legitimate grievances. Both sides have committed terrible acts. Its been a lousy situation since the 1940s...

That's why its insane not to head to the negotiating with mediation.

... I'd launch into the Lancelot wedding party dialog about "who killed who" but google is our friend.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 00:39   Link #1259
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 28
@Vexx: Is that last line something about Code Geass?

But, the Israel/Arab issues includes pride, too much of it IMHO. Too many things are at stake, both for the communities and the leaders of both sides.
__________________
Those from the lower levels cannot hope to surpass those from the upper.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-04, 00:42   Link #1260
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Age: 25
Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
@Vexx: Is that last line something about Code Geass?
Try about 30 years ago.
__________________


Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:39.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.