AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-06-24, 04:10   Link #14381
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Osama wanted new name for al-Qaida to repair image
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...06-24-03-27-16
Quote:
As Osama bin Laden watched his terrorist organization get picked apart, he lamented in his final writings that al-Qaida was suffering from a marketing problem. His group was killing too many Muslims and that was bad for business. The West was winning the public relations fight. All his old comrades were dead and he barely knew their replacements.

Faced with these challenges, bin Laden, who hated the United States and decried capitalism, considered a most American of business strategies. Like Blackwater, ValuJet and Philip Morris, perhaps what al-Qaida really needed was a fresh start under a new name.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 04:26   Link #14382
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Great Justice
Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
I wonder if this is irony or just simply grave digging by news casters. Maybe both, just to be safe.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 07:00   Link #14383
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
I wonder if this is irony or just simply grave digging by news casters. Maybe both, just to be safe.
Well a Japanese translator got stabbed to death by a religious dog for doing Salem Rushdie's work. As with all rabid dogs, treat with extreme prejudice. *sarcastic*
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 08:37   Link #14384
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
. As with all rabid dogs, treat with extreme prejudice. *sarcastic*
Shoot first (headshoot of course), ask question after ?
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 09:26   Link #14385
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Since there's quite a number of students, there's quite a demand for it. The price of health insurance for students reflects their demand more than their actual need for it. I remember in uni how we studied the concept of utility, but hardly anyone takes that into consideration irl.
Surely the higher demand the cheaper it is, for Insurance. Insurance doesn't work as a standard product, so demand won't make it go higher.

As students don't tend to use up their health insurance, they're ideal customers who the insurance companies can cut their prices for.

That said, i could see good reason if they charged a premium if you've had alcohol violations or a poor driving record (indicating risk taking attitude and being more prone to accidents). Likewise I could see a discount being a good idea if the buyer abstains from drugs or alcohol. Of course accident insurance isn't always included in health insurance anyway. For conventional illness 20-30 is incredibly low risk...
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 11:26   Link #14386
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Interesting news.

__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 11:59   Link #14387
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Shoot first (headshoot of course), ask question after ?
Nonono, skin them and put salt on the wound until they die of pain. They really need to understand what suffering and oppression is to physically force their extremist belief upon others.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 16:01   Link #14388
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Nonono, skin them and put salt on the wound until they die of pain. They really need to understand what suffering and oppression is to physically force their extremist belief upon others.
I cannot approve of such cruelty to dogs, sick or not.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 16:08   Link #14389
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I cannot approve of such cruelty to dogs, sick or not.
I was being sarcastic, but still, I couldn't think of an equivalent to forced circumcision.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 16:17   Link #14390
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic Send a message via Skype™ to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decagon View Post
With student loans of course.
I need those to live off of! Rent around here is outrageous, even with loans and grants I'm barely above subsistence level here. I'm broke over the summer due to food and rent costs and I'm going to end up having to cancel my phone service, which will hurt later because if I cancel I'll lose all of my crazy discounts. Then when I have money again and re-up, it'll be 20% more expensive every month.
__________________
synaesthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 16:58   Link #14391
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Surely the higher demand the cheaper it is, for Insurance. Insurance doesn't work as a standard product, so demand won't make it go higher.

As students don't tend to use up their health insurance, they're ideal customers who the insurance companies can cut their prices for.

That said, i could see good reason if they charged a premium if you've had alcohol violations or a poor driving record (indicating risk taking attitude and being more prone to accidents). Likewise I could see a discount being a good idea if the buyer abstains from drugs or alcohol. Of course accident insurance isn't always included in health insurance anyway. For conventional illness 20-30 is incredibly low risk...
Insurance it like any other product. It charges as much as the market will bear. Which is a lot, because nobody wants to die of an easily treatable disease.

The goal, after all, is to profit, not to see to it that the greatest number gets the best healthcare for the cheapest price.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 21:17   Link #14392
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Insurance it like any other product. It charges as much as the market will bear. Which is a lot, because nobody wants to die of an easily treatable disease.

The goal, after all, is to profit, not to see to it that the greatest number gets the best healthcare for the cheapest price.
That's if there is a monopoly, otherwise they'll compete with one another until they reach the minimum they can bear.

Of course it's quite difficult for health insurance companies to really compete with each other... How can you really assess which service is better? By the time you need it you're locked in... (which is why universal healthcare is so much better...)
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 21:36   Link #14393
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
That's if there is a monopoly, otherwise they'll compete with one another until they reach the minimum they can bear.

Of course it's quite difficult for health insurance companies to really compete with each other... How can you really assess which service is better? By the time you need it you're locked in... (which is why universal healthcare is so much better...)
You, the patient, are not even really the customer in the US ... its the *employer* who is the customer. And the insurance companies act as a cartel, locking employers out of any real choice and blackballing them if they try to join up in a cooperative for better negotiating power (hmm, sounds like a uni... cough). Individual policies are almost a fantasy or priced stratospherically in the "if you're that stupid, we'll take your wallet".

The larger the negotiating block, the more *competitive* an insurance company has to be... rather than it being the "casino house that wins on every roll and kicks you out if you win too much".
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 22:14   Link #14394
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
New York state lawmakers approve gay marriage
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...75N5ZA20110625
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 22:18   Link #14395
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Despair
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I was being sarcastic, but still, I couldn't think of an equivalent to forced circumcision.
Well, if you wanted to be really cruel, you might as well customize that level of cruelty especially for their kind. Like, I don't know, using pig fat or something.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 22:30   Link #14396
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
You, the patient, are not even really the customer in the US ... its the *employer* who is the customer. And the insurance companies act as a cartel, locking employers out of any real choice and blackballing them if they try to join up in a cooperative for better negotiating power (hmm, sounds like a uni... cough). Individual policies are almost a fantasy or priced stratospherically in the "if you're that stupid, we'll take your wallet".

The larger the negotiating block, the more *competitive* an insurance company has to be... rather than it being the "casino house that wins on every roll and kicks you out if you win too much".
Heh, in Ireland we have individualised health insurance. I wonder though, maybe it would be possible to buy health insurance from companies in other countries? It's still messed up. If I want to go global on my health insurance it costs me E785 (which is pretty decent), but that doesn't include the USA. If I were to move to the USA it jumps to 2100. I can't really explain the big difference, because I can't see VHI being in on price gouging, because it's state run (though soon to be privatised).
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-24, 23:22   Link #14397
killer3000ad
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
Delta Airlines deal with Saudi Arabia discriminates against non-Muslims
Quote:
Jews and Israelis, or passengers carrying any non-Islamic article of faith, will not be able to fly code-share flights from the U.S. to Saudi Arabia under Delta Air Line's new partnership with Saudi Arabian Airlines that is set to begin in 2012.
__________________
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 00:09   Link #14398
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Monday’s Expected Supreme Court Decision Will Tell America How Much Free Speech Protection Video Games Deserve


got no dog in this fight (i only play booring flight sim and racing games) but i think the Supremes will side with the big corps & their lobby group next week... just like this week when the Supremes handed epic victories to Walmart and generic pharma

Last edited by flying ^; 2011-06-25 at 00:20.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 00:28   Link #14399
killer3000ad
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Australia
Age: 31
NY governor signs same-sex marriage bill into laws
__________________
killer3000ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-06-25, 00:35   Link #14400
mangatron
Gyanko <3
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
RIP Peter Falk

Honestly, Columbo is one of my favorite TV shows, I really can't describe the wit and entertaining crime solving that show gave us.

Also fine work in Anzio, and a surprise appearance in Nicholas Cage's Next. And I'll never forget his Titanic joke in Shark Tale

Thanks, Peter Falk for the memories.
__________________

It's a wonderful view.
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!
*mangatron's Holiday 2014 haul
*What do you call a girl using her boobies to pleasure another girl?
-PAIZYURI!
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, feeling very sick at the moment from my extremely bad luck...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.